Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for January, 2015?
This poll is closed.
:slick: BxB Hulk (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 0.67%
:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 50 33.33%
:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 5 3.33%
:freep: Jay Briscoe (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
Brock Lesnar (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 79 52.67%
Rob Conway (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 4 2.67%
:rudebox: Robert Roode (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:anime: Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.67%
:eyepop: Prince Puma (Lucha Underground Champion) 6 4.00%
:geno: "More of this, huh?" (None of the Above) 4 2.67%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last year, justice prevailed and by a single solitary vote, AJ Styles was named PSP's Pro-Wrestling Champion for 2014. Beating out Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, and Shinsuke Nakamura as his closest competitors, the master of the Styles Clash and leader of the Bullet Club proved that talent can't be held down and the cream will rise to the top.... so long as you're not working for TNA. Click any of the images below to be taken to poll results for the given month, or the top banner for the year-end poll.

But now it's a new year, and it's time to see who gets the nod from PSP to kick off the month. The last month of 2014 saw the workhorse BxB Hulk rewarded for all his hard work with recognition by PSP at last, but can he make it two in a row? To be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently Punchsport Pagoda accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. The only case where someone won't be eligible is if they win the title on the last day of the month and don't defend it. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion doesn't defend their belt, but where the Champion doesn't even make an appearance or even do a promo about his title. If you feel this is inaccurate and you are willing to provide me with links/information etc on a monthly basis showing why your favorite promotion's Champion is actively doing stuff as champ and deserves to be on the poll, then I'm happy to change this stance. Also, given some of the things that have been said over the last few months, the monthly "None of the Above" option is now just as valid a "winner" as any other Champion. If enough people truly feel none of the current Champions deserve a vote, that will be reflected in the final results.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone - Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread!

:slick: BxB Hulk (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - No title defenses this month, BxB Hulk was involved in a number of tag matches and a single no-contest with Kzy. Separating his shoulder in his final match of 2014, there were fears he might have to vacate the title, but he made a surprise return at the start of January where he successfully beat Punch Tominaga in less than 4 minutes.

:heysexy: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - There were a hell of a lot of tag matches for Nakamura in January, but the big news was his successful title defense at Wrestle Kingdom 9, NJPW's biggest show of the year. Defeating Kota Ibushi in a match wildly hailed as the match of the night and an easy contender for match of the year, Nakamura once again proved why he has been able to keep the IWGP Intercontinental Title at the same top level it enjoyed under Hiroshi Tanahashi. Widely praised by basically everybody who has seen him, including the likes of Jim Ross who called the match for NJPW and was very impressed, this looks like it could be Nakamura's year.

:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Like Nakamura, Tanahashi spent most of January in tag matches, but also kicked off January and 2015 in fine style with yet another Match of the Year candidate at Wrestle Kingdom. Defeating longtime rival Kazuchika Okada to retain his title, Tanahashi put everything he had into the match (as did Okada) and proved that he isn't quite ready to be out out to pasture yet. Close to 40 years old, he still wrestles incredible matches and seemingly has just a little too much to finally be taken down by his young rival... but at what cost? Tanahashi can't have all that much longer at the top, can he? Even if he does, based on that single title match alone he makes an excellent argument for getting your vote... after all, as he'd be happy to tell you, it's not like you can vote for Okada!

:freep: Jay Briscoe (ROH World Champion) - Jay opened January with a successful title defense against Matt Taven, and ended the month with another successful title defense against Michael Bennett. Having gone undefeated for something like 2 years now (he lost the title due to an injury storyline), Briscoe is understandably feeling pretty drat confident about his abilities, so much so that it was actually HIS idea to have a 4 way title match down the road where he could lose the belt without actually being pinned or submitted himself. Kinda stupid in its reckless confidence, but that's also pretty drat Jay Briscoe, and you have to respect that it's a pretty in-character thing for him to do. Whether that means you'll vote for him or not, I don't know.

Brock Lesnar (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - After far too long a period of not appearing on WWE shows (or even being talked about by the commentators), Brock was all over the place in January and WWE was a better place for it. Getting into confrontations with Seth Rollins, talking trash to Triple H, suplexing John Cena for fun, Brock was all about reminding everybody why he's an utterly terrifying (and compelling) champion. At the Royal Rumble PPV, Brock successfully defended his belt in a highly regarded match considered a MOTYC. Dominating like nobody else can (or is allowed to), Brock was like some kind of inhuman monster as he tore through everybody, refusing to stay down no matter how hard he was hit, until finally he put down Seth Rollins for good and retained the belt in the highlight of the night. At the follow-up Raw, he and Roman Reigns came face to face, where Brock was unimpressed by Roman's lineage (explained so well by Paul Heyman) and seemed unperturbed about the notion of taking him on at Wrestlemania. It's great to actually have Brock around to remind us why he's the Champion, but is his belated run of appearances and an incredible match enough to get him your vote?

Rob Conway (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - Rob hasn't defended the NWA belt all month. If you know of anything he has been doing as champion during this period, and you think he deserves a vote, please elaborate why, thanks!

:rudebox: Robert Roode (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Roode opened the new Impact Wrestling show with a defense against former champion Bobby Lashley. As a kick-off to TNA's latest attempt to kickstart their promotion, some would say it was just more of the same. Regular viewers will be the best judge, but it seems a shame that the guy who opened their new show as champion would lose it the same night, via shenanigans followed multiple-run-ins and attacks that cost him the belt.

:anime: Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Lashley won the title in less than stellar circumstances following the "help" of his former allies, who took it upon themselves to put him into the position to beat Roode for his old title. Perhaps in order to prove he deserved it, Lashley took on this "Beat Down Clan" as part of a team, and successfully defended his belt in a 4 way match against Aries, Roode and MVP, as well as defeating MVP in a single match to end January. If Lashley is to be the fighting good guy champion, he had a bad start, but at least since then he's shown he can retain the belt without any "help", whether asked for or not.

:eyepop: Prince Puma (Lucha Underground Champion) - Prince Puma survived 19 other luchadors to become the inaugural Lucha Underground Champion. In an Aztec Warfare match initially dismissed as a cheap Royal Rumble knock-off but later lauded as a Match of the Year contender, Puma proved to be the guy whose high-flying moves proved too much to stop. Successfully defending his belt against Fenix the next week, Prince Puma is arguably the most exciting wrestler on what may be the most exciting new wrestling show currently to be found outside of Japan. Many are familiar with his work in different promotions under a different name, but it's in Lucha Underground where Prince Puma may end up getting the most potential mainstream attention. But do his jumps and flips and crazy risktaking earn him your vote?

:geno: "More of this, huh?" (None of the Above) - If you think 2015's start is leaving you as cold as 2014 did, and that none of the various Champions up for vote are worthy of being singled out as the "best", then mark this vote to show your disdain/disinterest or just so you can see the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Its Brock!

Brawk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Brizzock

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's Tanahashi, he is the coolest guy. Brock is not a cool guy.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

YeAOH!

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Yeah. This guy knows whats up

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i would love to vote for nakamura but the IC title is not a top belt so i cannot lower myself to vote for him

however i will submit a write-in vote for jay lethal, the one true champion of ring of honor

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

i would love to vote for nakamura but the IC title is not a top belt so i cannot lower myself to vote for him

however i will submit a write-in vote for jay lethal, the one true champion of ring of honor

It's weird that the New Japan jobber belt is allowed but the Ring of Honor WORLD Television title is not.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oatgan posted:

ic title has main evented over hw title

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

oatgan posted:

I agree with all of this post.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

minoru suzuki posted:

ic title has main evented over hw title

Johnny Ace main evented over the WWE title but the People's Champion wasn't put on the poll.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
fug how do i pick between nakamura and brock

fugggg

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Johnny Ace main evented over the WWE title but the People's Champion wasn't put on the poll.

agreed that was a crime

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it was a tough call between nakamura, tanahashi and lesnar because all three are great and worked top caliber match of the year candidates this month but in the end favoritism won and i voted for nakamura

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nakamura is my boy and made the IC belt look like a million bucks, but I think he's in for better months in 2015 when he eventually takes the top title. Brawk gets my vote.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

You'll cowards don't even strong style.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
Nakamura is fantastic, but he really performed exactly as he usually does.

Meanwhile, here in the States, Brock gave us a fantastic showing in his triple threat match being booked exactly how they should be booking his would-be challenger, and even stepped up to the plate to deliver some really good mic work, which is a rare thing for him. Just because he's done so much this month, I think he's the boy for January.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Nakumura did do what he always does, which is have legit match of the year matches with no smoke or mirrors.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

J-Ru why do you keep insisting on not including Sami Zayn :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

J-Ru why do you keep insisting on not including Sami Zayn :colbert:

What do other people think, is NXT enough of a brand in its own right to include as a separate option for monthly threads? If so, I'll include it next month.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jerusalem posted:

What do other people think, is NXT enough of a brand in its own right to include as a separate option for monthly threads? If so, I'll include it next month.

I mean, no disrespect to Nakamura (especially since I voted for him and would even if Zayn was an option) but you keep including him even though he doesn't have the top belt of his company either so I don't see why this matters. For the last year The NXT champions have consistently put on awesome matches so if Nakamura can be voted for I don't see why they can't.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
My heart says Nakamura, but I know I'll have plenty of other chances to vote for him. How many more times will I get to vote for Lesnar?

I believe in BRAWK.

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?
This is gonna be a two horse race.... well I gotta go with the coolest horse of them all. YEAOH!

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Brock's awesome but did not dress as the Michael Jackson Statue of Liberty so my vote is set

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Couldn't choose between Nakamura and Brock so I chose Tanahashi. Tanahashi loves you all.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Brock is an unkillable manbeast who will suplex everything you hold dear.

Also, I can't play as cyborg Nakamura in WWE Immortals, so step it up, Japan

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
*protest votes for Sami Zayn*

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i also protest voted Sami Zayn

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
All about the Con Way, ain't he a sight to see.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Went Nakamura. I think BXB Hulk's defense on 2/5 against Susumu might be the best title defense of February (and if successful he'll probably defend it 2/28 or 3/1 so he might have another defense in Feb).

Jerusalem posted:

I think it's an unpopular opinion, but no.

It's still a developmental title. I know there will be a lot of whining about YOU INCLUDE SHINSUKE, but I think it's pretty clear the difference of level of the IWGP IC title to any other "secondary" title. The IWGP IC/Hvy titles are almost in an All Japan Women's Red Belt/White Belt situation. IMO I'd rather put the PWG, NOAH, All Japan titles before the NXT title.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Nakamura had the best match, but Brock looked loving invincible (in a great match!) and thus is the best champion.

EDIT: No to the NXT champion. When they do appearances on the WWE main roster they're booked lower than even the IC/US title holders.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 1, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It's still a developmental title. I know there will be a lot of whining about YOU INCLUDE SHINSUKE, but I think it's pretty clear the difference of level of the IWGP IC title to any other "secondary" title. The IWGP IC/Hvy titles are almost in an All Japan Women's Red Belt/White Belt situation. IMO I'd rather put the PWG, NOAH, All Japan titles before the NXT title.

It has many of the best wrestlers in the world competing for it, it should count.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I also say no to the NXT Title. Just because it's a competently booked title doesn't mean it should count as a world title.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Bigass Moth posted:

It has many of the best wrestlers in the world competing for it, it should count.

It can have zombie Billy Robinson vs zombie Misawa and it would still be a developmental title. Noooooope. Bad post.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It can have zombie Billy Robinson vs zombie Misawa and it would still be a developmental title. Noooooope. Bad post.

Who gives a poo poo dork

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It would be a crime for the PWG title to not make it into the poll while the NXT title does.

Please let me vote for Roddy Strong.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm opposed to including Sami Zayn this month because he didn't do anything this month. That said, next month, he will have either defended or lost his title against Kevin Owens, so that would be a different story. I'd say include NXT on Takeover months. You already have TNA, so it's not really a step down.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

That DICK! posted:

Who gives a poo poo dork

Apparently you do enough to do a lovely post.

We wouldn't be even entertaining NXT as a possible choice if Bo Dallas was still champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Intercontinental Title main evented Wrestle Kingdom in 2014. If the NXT Title main events Wrestlemania 31, we can pretend the situations are comparable.

That said, Hail Nakamura.

• Locked thread