Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Quite A Tool posted:

It's foggy as poo poo in Phoenix right now. I think it knows I'm moving to Seattle.

Seriously. At one point this morning I couldn't see the intersection that couldn't have been more than a hundred feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I replaced an outlet once thanks to forgetting that the light I was using to test it was also photocell controlled. :downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

The head of engineering at my job cnc milled his kids pinewood derby cars, turned the wheels on a lathe to shave them smoove and did some trickery with nylon bushings that is illegal now I guess

Par for the course for engineer dads. Between my brother and I, my dad (aerospace engineer) was pretty proud of a few years straight of wins in our immediate scout troop.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

PS gently caress EGR so hard why does anyone do this bullshit, manifold looks like a coal miners lung, stop making your engines smell their own farts god dammit

I'm so glad for a combination of the fact that GM engines can have EGR removed from the ECM quite easily, and that they also figured out how to make later engines get by without it just with a different cam profile.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holdbrooks posted:

Looking at a house tomorrow with 5 cars worth of garages, a shop, a pad with covered RV parking, and covered parking for another 8 cars. So maybe in the future!

Go on :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

I have to walk to a bunch of ATMs so I can draw out enough money to go buy a car tomorrow, dealing in large amounts of cash is an edge case for sure, but it sucks having an online only bank in this situation

When I bought my WJ, I just ate the $20 to have my bank overnight me a cashier's check.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

These pliers make short work of most stripped screws: Engineer PZ-58 Screw Pliers GT

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kids are the best, especially now that mine is old enough to refer to the GMC as her truck (and demand to sit in it!).

A good sleep schedule will make or break your entire loving life early on with a kid. Ours was terrible at going to sleep without being rocked all the way down (and laying her down was pretty much the first scene of Raiders every loving night) until we used this book which is basically just a framework for phasing out the amount of physical contact / immediate presence needed for your kid to sleep.

And you don't need half of the baby-related poo poo the internet thinks you need, if even that much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Aren't there entire youtube channels dedicated to exactly this?

Especially if she's wearing a bikini top and not much else, yes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You know you didn't come to us to hear "keep the GTR".

:getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You need to roadtrip that poo poo out to do a photoshoot with it and Dick's Biturbo. The pinnacles of eye-talian engineering!

PaintVagrant posted:

The K-series motor is a proven brick shithouse, and people routinely put 200k+ on these cars with nothing but oil changes.

The K-series is probably 2/3 of the reason I ended up with a CR-V as the family hauler.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

I've been wandering around WRC pits and V8Supercars and 12 Hour and Lord knows what else. It still comes down to the racing and NASCAR on ovals is still absolute poo poo.

It needs to be the right ovals, but the problem is that they've taken just about all of the racing out of the current iteration of the car. Even a track like Phoenix which should allow a driver worth a drat to be able to make a move happen, is now a procession where outside of a yellow flag it's rare for a car to be closer than half a second to the next in front or back. Oval racing shouldn't be five hours of everyone waiting for the last 50 laps (gently caress you, Coca-Cola 600) before they think about doing much, it should be a run for the finish from the word go. Bonus points if you've got a crazy-eyed kid from Toowoomba doing his damnedest to prove to the world* that he's better than three second place finishes in a row.

*what little of it was watching

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We're moving into a brand new apartment in May where my girlfriend is the property manager. We're going to know exactly where the studs are so that helps.

You say that, but even modern construction crews gently caress up. My house is only about 15 years old but aside from the studs immediately adjacent to any door / window, absolutely nothing is where it should be. Neither 16" or 24".

That said, as long as you find a good pair of studs, its no problem. I hung a 60" using a Monoprice mount and it just takes some patience and a second set of hands. A third set of eyes helps too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, get yourself to harbor freight and buy a cheap studfinder. It's one of those tools you'll be happy you own time and time again.

gently caress all electronic studfinders forever, get this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

Yeah those are great nail/screw finders :v:

Point taken, but I have yet to get a false positive. Three different electronic finders have given me all kinds of bad readings over the years.

Besides, it's easy to confirm. Find one screw, then move straight up or down and find another. Not likely to have two random nails perfectly in line with each other.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Might knock less if you didn't park it on the passenger door.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

^ Yup, painting doors loving sucks, especially ones with windows in them.

Some of you may remember the friend I have whose Toyotiac Vibratrix had such a weak charging system that it couldn't drive with a dead battery, plus collapsed suspension on one from corner.

He remedied that situation by buying a second-gen Prius, and has subsequently both lost and won the used car lottery. Lost because it just threw P0A80, which literally means "replace HV battery". Won because the car is 7 years, 11 months old, and the HV battery is an emissions device covered under the 8yr/100k warranty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

the spyder posted:

That's better odds then most lotteries. I wonder if it's suffering from the same buss bar corrosion that Camery a few weeks back was.

Might be, but unless the dealer tries to gently caress him over, I won't have to pull the HV pack out and disassemble it to find out.

Cat Terrist posted:

Is that some knid of new exotic sex toy for rev heads?

Maybe if there was anything remotely sexy about an overweight Corolla.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Holy poo poo, the intro is loving magical :allears:

I know Mr. Regular seems to be very much against being on camera (or, at least, his face) but my god I would've loved video of that rant.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

2015 finally took grandma, I'd post the gif but I'm too broken down by Avis's idiot customer service and Southwest's lovely hold music.

gently caress, condolences. I'm down to one left and have been hearing stories that people are really having to push her hard to eat enough these days. No major medical issues, just age, but she's stubborn as a mule (as are all of her kids, hmmm) so even that can be A Thing.

Fo3 posted:

I don't get the USA love of old hondas and toyotas.

Pretty much the "want what we can't have" syndrome.

mariooncrack posted:

Accurate description of the 300zx thread

Accurate description of so many threads on these fine forums.

Oh, and the car dealership gods have shined down upon my Toyota-cursed friend; it sounds like they're replacing the HV battery with no real fuss about anything. I'm shocked it was dead so soon either way, the car has under 70k on it.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 23, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's how it was for her... for the last few years she would tend to forget to eat, or change her clothes, etc. The Alzheimer's started to become apparently about a decade ago, and when I last visited her ~6 years ago, I had my mom call her before I left my bedroom in the morning, because I wasn't sure she'd recognize me without a reminder. In the last year she started not even recognizing her children, and asking about her mom and dad because she thought it was 1940.

Yeah, losing my mental capacity is truly frightening. Luckily my grandmother still has her wits about her - there's no question about whether or not she's forgotten to eat, she just doesn't want to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

Man the Monster drinks stunts in Russia are hardcore :v:

Why the gently caress is that one guy wearing a Steve Nash t-shirt? :psyduck:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Wait, that worked

You caught me out on it too :argh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

And the Cadillac!

cursedshitbox posted:

Das breaks everything that isn't a bavarian poo poo car I'm afraid.

I shudder to think what sort of unstoppable force / immovable object situation would be created if you put DV in the same room as Lowered Expectations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of Arizona, if this passes it's pretty much acknowledging that outside of school zones, the speed limit is really sign+9:

AZFamily posted:

PHOENIX (AP) -- The House has taken steps to approve a bill that makes the maximum penalty for speeding up to ten miles over the speed limit just $15. Rep. David Stevens' proposal builds on current law stating officers may issue a "waste of a finite resource" ticket for drivers traveling up to 10 miles over the limit in a 55 mph zone. House Bill 2662 changes the language to encompass any street or highway with exceptions for school crossing zones, construction zones and business or residential districts. The bill states the violation shall not exceed $15 plus surcharges, can't be reported to insurance companies and would not add points to a driver's license. The proposal passed on a voice vote Thursday and now awaits a formal vote.

I don't think I've ever been pulled over for anything less than 15 over anyway (not counting "your light is out" or that one time I street-raced a Civic in my grandma's E320).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

I would hope so! I used a crummy calculator on our internal ADP portal. We have some weird income stuff going on, so that could skew things that janked my withholding I guess.

ADP's web interface is probably the most horrible piece of code still working on the internet. gently caress it and absolutely everything about it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Orange milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

New month, new bowelpost!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703712

• Locked thread