Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hobo Erotica posted:

Shoes are overrated.

But I don't like it how other people make going barefoot a Thing. I just don't put shoes on, pretty simple. You want to make a thing out of it, that's on you.

I don't really like the loss of tactile sensation in my feet. I want to be able to feel what's beneath me. I feel more connected to the ground. People might call it a hippy thing, which it sounds like, but it's not really my concern. Plus it gets hot in shoes so I prefer to have them off. And shoes and socks are a perishable commodity, so the less you wear them the less they wear out. I seem to burn through the ones I do wear for some reason.

So unless I'm going somewhere where they're literally required, I just go barefoot. I've copped a bit of flack for it, my mother in law wasn't very impressed, but I don't really care cos it's not their business.

I went round most of South America with no shoes. Put them on for the Inca trail though. Most of SE Asia. There was a typhoon in Siam Reap so shoes would have just gotten soggy and gross, so I wore them on my motor bike then took them off to go exploring. I was barefoot in a mosh pit too, that was pushing it. But I think I was so pumped up on alcohol and adrenaline that I didn't get hurt. I do some light bush walking with no shoes too.

Probably the limit was when I was managing the waste for a 4 day 10,000 person camping festival. Picking up and collecting and sorting around 50 tonnes of waste - glass, cans, compost, etc. Did it all barefoot. Didn't get hurt. But in hindsight I admit that was pretty dumb and kind of asking for trouble.

As I think you said, there's not that much glass and sharp poo poo around. I find it helps to be more aware of your surroundings too. People wear shoes or thongs to the beach, it's just one more thing you've got to worry about. You take them off, then lose them, it's annoying. I find Barefoot is just simpler.

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Edit: You should move to Texas and walk around barefoot on the pavement. You'll rapidly discover why people wear shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The ground gets hot where I live too (Australian coastal major city) and that's one of the main reasons I wear shoes when I do.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Hobo Erotica posted:

Shoes are overrated.

But I don't like it how other people make going barefoot a Thing. I just don't put shoes on, pretty simple. You want to make a thing out of it, that's on you.

I don't really like the loss of tactile sensation in my feet. I want to be able to feel what's beneath me. I feel more connected to the ground. People might call it a hippy thing, which it sounds like, but it's not really my concern. Plus it gets hot in shoes so I prefer to have them off. And shoes and socks are a perishable commodity, so the less you wear them the less they wear out. I seem to burn through the ones I do wear for some reason.

So unless I'm going somewhere where they're literally required, I just go barefoot. I've copped a bit of flack for it, my mother in law wasn't very impressed, but I don't really care cos it's not their business.

I went round most of South America with no shoes. Put them on for the Inca trail though. Most of SE Asia. There was a typhoon in Siam Reap so shoes would have just gotten soggy and gross, so I wore them on my motor bike then took them off to go exploring. I was barefoot in a mosh pit too, that was pushing it. But I think I was so pumped up on alcohol and adrenaline that I didn't get hurt. I do some light bush walking with no shoes too.

Probably the limit was when I was managing the waste for a 4 day 10,000 person camping festival. Picking up and collecting and sorting around 50 tonnes of waste - glass, cans, compost, etc. Did it all barefoot. Didn't get hurt. But in hindsight I admit that was pretty dumb and kind of asking for trouble.

As I think you said, there's not that much glass and sharp poo poo around. I find it helps to be more aware of your surroundings too. People wear shoes or thongs to the beach, it's just one more thing you've got to worry about. You take them off, then lose them, it's annoying. I find Barefoot is just simpler.

You walked with no shoes in South America? You DO know you can get parasites that way, don't you?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Drank tap water everywhere too. Never got sick. My friend drank bottled water exclusively and got sick heaps. So did all the girls who were taking all the tablets.

Actually I did get sick once but I'm pretty sure that's cos I was playing with a dog just before lunch and didn't wash my hands properly. Which was stupid. This was on the trek too. Woke up in the middle of the night feeling something was very wrong, stumbled out of our tent in the mountains trying to find a toilet under a gorgeous starry sky, and violently evacuated everything from everywhere. Lasted around 18 hours, couldn't keep anything down. On the toughest day of the trek too, a 10 hour relentless uphill slog. But made it to camp and was fine again the next day.

But what were we talking about? Oh yeah, shoes. Shoes are overrated.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Colonel J posted:

Not gonna start 'till temperatures go up in the positives!

edit: maybe this report will satiate your hunger in the meantime.

Stop being a bitch and go bare.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Human Tornada posted:

As for the part about "developing" the soles of our feet, what is the merit? It doesn't take hard work or have health benefits, like getting a sixpack. It doesn't happen as a matter of course, like a chef who develops callouses because using a knife is essential to his livelihood. Nobody questions why certain parts of our bodies are "underdeveloped" because we already know everything is developed to pretty much the level we need. A coal miner's shoulders are more developed than a computer programmer's because that's what he or she needs.

If you want to not wear shoes, you have to develop the soles of your feet a little. If you don't and you try to walk without shoes, you sound like everyone who pisses and moans about hot pavement, pointy rocks, etc. Even little bits of broken glass cease to be an issue with a slightly thicker callus.

Also, even if you never plan on going barefoot, having a more conditioned sole and thicker calluses helps if you're a runner.

Human Tornada posted:

People are so strongly against this because a large part of the appeal is so obviously lording "look at how free I am" over everyone. Why else would people call it "the barefoot lifestyle" if it wasn't to feel superior? Any "barefoot enthusiast" could slide on a number of minimalist shoe choices and instantly nobody notices them anymore, but being noticed is the point.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Shoes are overrated.

This right here.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know a dude who liked to go about barefoot once, he joined in one of our soccer matches one-time despite us protesting that he should really wear appropriate footwear. He was a decent player too, kicked the ball the wrong way in his second match and broke his toe, couldn't walk for 3 weeks and afterwards started wearing shoes again so there you go.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Some of the anti-feet people in this thread are as stupid as the people who make not wearing shoes a Thing.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

CleverHans posted:

Enjoy looking like a hobbit and regularly destroying your feet on the huge quantities of sharp glass, metal, and plastics that are strewn across our post-neolithic world.

You know, I know it's there, but the "huge quantities" and "You will step on it" stuff is not a little overblown. First off, it's not everywhere, not anywhere close to everywhere, and second, you're not "going" to step on it. I mean, do you literally not watch where you're walking?

Darth Freddy posted:

Also beware of the mesquite thorn and bush/tree

Can get over a inch long and go through a tractor tire. Also they are poisonous.

So of course they couldn't go through a shoe.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 16, 2015

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Trip report :catdrugs:

I've been compromising and walking in socks at school and work. Those floors are goddamn hard and surprisingly, after a few days of this my feet are pretty loving sore. It definitely forces me to adjust my strike, as I'm heel striking way too much.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Please tell me you're wearing white socks.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Funny story, I got into a nightclub wearing socks once. I can't remember if they just didn't like my shoes or if I didn't have any, but black socks did the trick.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I love to mow the lawn barefoot. The cold dew on the grass in the morning feels great beneath my feet.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

OP, this is retarded. Seriously, do not walk around barefoot in goddamn civilization. It's dirty and gross, and there is a pretty solid chance you will cut yourself badly or seriously gently caress up a nerve in the bottom of your feet which is connected to important other poo poo.

If you don't like your toes getting scrunched, there are a plethora of technologies to aide you. (e.g http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm). Fair warning though, I have these shoes and literally every time I wear them out random strangers will go out of their way to hate on me.

It doesn't make sense, but it is the truth. People loving hate your feet.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
It's because you look like a douche. Better than barefoot, but still douchey. I know like three people who wear vibrams in public, and they are in fact all douches.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Human Tornada posted:

I get annoyed when people treat public spaces like their living room. Not everybody wants to look at your dirty calloused feet, even if they don't stink. Maybe I'm uptight or a snob or judgmental but when I see people out and about who look gross because they just don't give a gently caress I get a little bummed out.

People are so strongly against this because a large part of the appeal is so obviously lording "look at how free I am" over everyone. Why else would people call it "the barefoot lifestyle" if it wasn't to feel superior? Any "barefoot enthusiast" could slide on a number of minimalist shoe choices and instantly nobody notices them anymore, but being noticed is the point.

This is how my grandpa feels about the gays.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care
OP, buy a new pair of shoes right now. In 6 months look at the wear and tear of the shoes. That's what would be happening to your feet if you didn't wear them.

Wear loving shoes.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

deathsuxdontdie posted:

OP, buy a new pair of shoes right now. In 6 months look at the wear and tear of the shoes. That's what would be happening to your feet if you didn't wear them.

Wear loving shoes.

Not that the op is anything but an idiot, but skin regrows and stuff, shoes don't.

He should still just get some loving shoes.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

deathsuxdontdie posted:

Wear loving shoes.

In a thread with quite a lot of dumb stuff, this is perhaps the dumbest.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hobo Erotica posted:

In a thread with quite a lot of dumb stuff, this is perhaps the dumbest.

Seriously. What kind of rear end in a top hat buys shoes that fall apart in 6 months?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

Seriously. What kind of rear end in a top hat buys shoes that fall apart in 6 months?

Not all shoes can be emotionally stable.

deathsuxdontdie
Apr 12, 2004

Excellent Patient Care

litany of gulps posted:

Assholes that do a lot of walking for work? Assholes that exercise I guess? I beat the hell out of my shoes. I need a new pair between 6 months and a year, both my running shoes and my regular daily wear shoes.

I guess if all you do is post on SA all day you can barefoot it, OP. Or if you just want to cut your feet up on glass, rocks, concrete, or whatever else you come across during daily walking that your shoes protect you from.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Be sure to get vaccinated against HIV as well op, don't want to walk into a dirty needle, or anything else that might have blood on it.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Colonel J posted:

Trip report :catdrugs:

I've been compromising and walking in socks at school and work. Those floors are goddamn hard and surprisingly, after a few days of this my feet are pretty loving sore. It definitely forces me to adjust my strike, as I'm heel striking way too much.

This is even grosser than "barefooting" somehow.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

surc posted:

If you don't like your toes getting scrunched, there are a plethora of technologies to aide you. (e.g http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm). Fair warning though, I have these shoes and literally every time I wear them out random strangers will go out of their way to hate on me.

Vibrams fit poorly and scrunch up my toes, what should I do? Should I buy a pair and just cut the toe holes off? That might work. Good idea.

litany of gulps posted:

Goons are fat... but also active? It is a conundrum.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hey op you should prolly wear shoes for formal/important occasions and not make a big deal of not wearing shoes.

otherwise keep on keeping on because having like 10 people rage at you ineffectively is hilarious.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
OP, please continue to not wear shoes. It's a really good way to let everyone know you're a loving weirdo so they don't have to talk to you first to find out. You're doing a public service, really.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Im pretty jealous of all the fine babes the op is gonna pick up while barefooting.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

deathsuxdontdie posted:

My Jeans have holes in them! Lucky I've been wearing them all the time otherwise those holes would be in my legs!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Hobo Erotica posted:

My Jeans have holes in them! Lucky I've been wearing them all the time otherwise those holes would be in my legs!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

oliwan posted:

Im pretty jealous of all the fine babes the op is gonna pick up while barefooting.

I picked up a fine babe while not wearing shoes earlier today but then the babe started crying so I put it back down to make some formula.

True barefooting story from the front lines.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Vibrams fit poorly and scrunch up my toes, what should I do? Should I buy a pair and just cut the toe holes off? That might work. Good idea.

Goons are fat... but also active? It is a conundrum.

Buy a pair that fits? You can also heat up the rubber sole and stretch individual toes a little bit.

I guess they're uncool now (or always have been), but they are the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. You get the while feel the ground thing without being some sort of moron who walks around barefoot everywhere.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rhymenoserous posted:

Because floors are dirty? But that's ok, I heartily encourage this because you are going to find out exactly how many pieces of small clear broken glass there are in the world. Especially in parking lots.

(Hint: It's lots)

Lareine posted:

Even without glass, walking in bare feet on asphalt can be pretty rough. You got loose stones coming up and some of them can be kind of pointy.

Ramagamma posted:

I know a dude who liked to go about barefoot once, he joined in one of our soccer matches one-time despite us protesting that he should really wear appropriate footwear. He was a decent player too, kicked the ball the wrong way in his second match and broke his toe, couldn't walk for 3 weeks and afterwards started wearing shoes again so there you go.

surc posted:

OP, this is retarded. Seriously, do not walk around barefoot in goddamn civilization. It's dirty and gross, and there is a pretty solid chance you will cut yourself badly or seriously gently caress up a nerve in the bottom of your feet which is connected to important other poo poo.

It doesn't make sense, but it is the truth. People loving hate your feet.

deathsuxdontdie posted:

Wear loving shoes.

deathsuxdontdie posted:

I guess if all you do is post on SA all day you can barefoot it, OP. Or if you just want to cut your feet up on glass, rocks, concrete, or whatever else you come across during daily walking that your shoes protect you from.

oliwan posted:

Be sure to get vaccinated against HIV as well op, don't want to walk into a dirty needle, or anything else that might have blood on it.

Do you dingdongs wear helmets everywhere you go too?
I know this one girl, totally knocked the gently caress out of her head on an automatic door at the drugstore and got a concussion and was hosed up for like a week. Do you know how many doors there are in the world? They're everywhere. Good luck with your brain damage, you stupid loving fat gross shitlord goons.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 19, 2015

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Buy a pair that fits? You can also heat up the rubber sole and stretch individual toes a little bit.

I guess they're uncool now (or always have been), but they are the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. You get the while feel the ground thing without being some sort of moron who walks around barefoot everywhere.

You're still a moron in those "shoes"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

They don't make them is the problem. They only make one shape, and they are exclusively made for people with "normal" feet, like 99% of shoes, which means I'm out of luck.

If I could get like a custom fit vibrams made I would probably start wearing them again, no matter how uncool they were. Hell I would give a lot for a decent custom fit of any type of shoes. But probably not as much as it would cost.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

You're still a moron in those "shoes"
You're still a moron without them. :v:

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 19, 2015

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
FWIF wearing mocs around town, zero drop running shoes when running, and rock climbing (in rock climbing shoes), and not wearing anything at home/immediate vicinity of home have made my feet stronger. I don't have any calluses or blisters, but the skin on my soles has become roughly 50% thicker. I don't know how long it's been like that, but I picked up running 5 years ago.

There is nothing wrong with not wearing shoes. I don't do it, because I enjoy the many advantages wearing shoes provides. However, being barefoot is the normal condition for a human being. As this thread demonstrates, shoe-wearing is a mostly cultural taboo, like nudity. What if you stopped wearing clothes all the time? There is a minority of people who do this and are fine. Indeed, in the privacy of my own home, I wear as little clothing as the temperature permits.

We see here that this whole thing is a mostly cultural issue. For a group as open and tolerant as SA, you would figure people would not really care what some random internet stranger does in his free time. Indeed, OP predicted this in his first post.

OP.

Hookworm. Sharp stuff. Dirty feet.
If you can deal with that poo poo, have fun feeling the stuff you walk on.

quote:

Assholes that do a lot of walking for work? Assholes that exercise I guess? I beat the hell out of my shoes. I need a new pair between 6 months and a year, both my running shoes and my regular daily wear shoes.

It sound like you only wear one pair of shoes daily. Try getting 2 pairs, and alternating them. They'll get less wear than if you wore one pair, and then the next. You can also try keeping them in shoe trees when you don't wear them. Also, consider getting something like an oxford or a derby with a rubber sole. I picked up a cheap pair ($40) like that 3 years ago and they are still going, and still look fine with regular polishing.

Ramagamma posted:

I play soccer every chance I get, even if my cleats are at home. Sorry to hear about your friend's toe. I guess one reason barefoot beach soccer works out OK is that the rough sand slows down the ball, so you have more time to line it up with your instep. Surprisingly this sort of shoe is very decent for pickup games

Bonus points if you start playing in a suit and end up shirtless.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 20, 2015

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Keldoclock posted:

However, being barefoot is the normal condition for a human being.

:allears:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Keldoclock posted:

However, being barefoot is the normal condition for a human being.

So's dying at 35 due to infected feet.

Keldoclock posted:

As this thread demonstrates, shoe-wearing is a mostly cultural taboo, like nudity.

It's also a way of distinghuishing between normal adult humans and hobbits.

Keldoclock posted:

Indeed, in the privacy of my own home, I wear as little clothing as the temperature permits.
Save, perchance for m'lords pipe and trillby?

Keldoclock posted:

Indeed, OP predicted this in his first post.

Indeed, sir.

Indeed.

E: :chord:

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 20, 2015

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm starting to understand the op now. Met a fine babe tonight. Took her home. We started to undress. But... then she saw my bare feet and said "lol, sorry I don't go to bed with men with feet this weak, no calluses no fallusses. Goodbye."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

oliwan posted:

"lol, sorry I don't go to bed with men with feet this weak, no calluses no fallusses. Goodbye."

• Locked thread