Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

biosterous posted:

So, without anyone spoiling anything, can someone tell me if the "there was a HOLE here" thing ever get explained, or is it just creepy flavour?

If you mean "Explained to a satisfactory conclusion," the answer is nope. If you mean "Are there other things in the game that will remind me of this and inspire me to think about this symbolically in the context of past and future events," then the answer is yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

biosterous posted:

So, without anyone spoiling anything, can someone tell me if the "there was a HOLE here" thing ever get explained, or is it just creepy flavour?

I can promise that James will continue to have hole-based quandaries.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It's apparently important enough to get saved in the memo-section of the pause menu :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Cool, thanks folks

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
Omg, a Voidburger LP! :holy:

I tried to play this and stopped early on. So excited!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

biosterous posted:

... Is it possible it was just a really roundabout way of calling the place unholy?

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

... Is it possible it was just a really roundabout way of calling the place unholy?

Only if Geop happens to be the mod of Silent Hill too.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Update! We find out more about what makes that pointy guy tick (and subsequently, don't want to be friends with him anymore)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5lGomM3uc

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
How do you make James do the foot-stompy-wiggle thing? Whenever I try, he does a jaunty little kick instead.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Say what you will of P-Head, dude's got some nice mittens.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Speculation: Roger Widmark is the final boss. Your ending depends on whether or not you get the Better Business Bureau to cite him for false advertising.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Until you wrote it out I thought that first texture said:

"Travis painting bacon
fire giant beard".

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

So from this i'm getting that you're bad at fighting things in well-lit, open areas but really good at fighting things in dark, cramped places where they're hard to see. weird

Robonten
Nov 6, 2009

Exaggeration is to paint a snake and add legs.
I see what you did there with that sticker on the wall, Konami! :colbert: Illusions: The Water Margin = Genso Suikoden.

(someone has probably already pointed this out)

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I didn't see you pick up any important key items in Eddie's room. Is it conceivably possible to get through the apartments without actually meeting him?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ladyboy pancake posted:

I didn't see you pick up any important key items in Eddie's room. Is it conceivably possible to get through the apartments without actually meeting him?

There's a place later on you have to go that is arbitrarily locked until you meet Eddie so even if you did somehow miss him you wouldn't be able to continue on until you did find him.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
A new episode is here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84yIwHBCMhI

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Would it be possible for someone to translate the greek off the coins at all?

Merrill
Dec 30, 2008

Challenged by gravity
Fun Shoe
It's not actual Greek - it's been transliterated into Greek letters. So A becomes Alpha, etc.

Prisoner coin: υμαρεμασιτα τατσυκι γα κψονεν νο φονεψατυ νι

Utter gibberish in Greek. Transliterated, it's something like umaremasita tatsuki ga kpsonen no phonepsatu ni

The original writing seems to be (romanized) Japanese (and probably transliterates some letters differently than I did). Some googling suggests that one coin seems to commemorate a baby's birth during production, and the other two (which have the same writing) may be a list of names.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Merrill posted:

Utter gibberish in Greek. Transliterated, it's something like umaremasita tatsuki ga kpsonen no phonepsatu ni

The original writing seems to be (romanized) Japanese (and probably transliterates some letters differently than I did). Some googling suggests that one coin seems to commemorate a baby's birth during production, and the other two (which have the same writing) may be a list of names.
I see something: "Tatsuki ga Xnen no Ygatsu ni umaremashita," or "Tatsuki was born in Y/X," where the X is the number for a year and Y the number for a month. I don't know why X became "kspo" and Y got really screwed up, though.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
OMG KEVLAR BUGS THIS GAME REALLY IS SCARY!! :gonk:

Also, I had even seen the toliet scene in one of your previous videos, Voidburger, and it was more disgusting in context. Hole-based problems, indeed.

What is that flaily arm thing James does when stomping while holding the gun? I don't think that's very safe. :(

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
New episode! Sorry it took a little while, but it took effort to explain the coin puzzles. Also had some cutscenes mess up that I had to fix in post. Anyway, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUVTYCsC2Q

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I don't think I've ever seen the flying mannequin before.

Also, those of you curious about the "haunted lake" story that haven't watched it yet, The OP has a playthrough of the Japanese-Only arcade light-gun shooter up at the archives, it's pretty short.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I just started playing this game because I wanted to watch your LP but still wanted to play the game blind, so I'm a few steps ahead of where you are now. Partially unintentionally because I seem to have missed a lot of the clues that point you in the right direction.
I LOVE exploring the town, so I missed the map with the location of the apartment key, for example, because Martin St. was on the way and I explored it since I was already there. Same with going to the bowling alley without running the marathon that tells you to backtrack.

Unfortunately, I'm playing the HD version because my PS3 is not backwards compatible. It's got a great habit of taking 1-2 full seconds to fade in from black after viewing the map or inventory screens, so it's very dangerous and frustrating when around enemies. I did pick up a PS2 copy of the game, though, so if I ever get a PS2 I'd love to experience the less-gray, less-new-voices version of South Silent Hill firsthand. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying your videos!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Were the boxes over the description of that one statue part of the game or was that you censoring something?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Were the boxes over the description of that one statue part of the game or was that you censoring something?

That's part of the game, similar to the one she madlibbed over in an earlier video. I guess it's supposed to imply degradation / damage to the plaque and I guess do a little foreshadowing / mystery bit.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Yeah, all those boxes are in-game wear and tear on the object. That one was talking about "Jennifer Carroll, who was persecuted by the Christians... [and the rest is readable.]" That's just background lore and it doesn't have really anything to do with Silent Hill 2!

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
I really like Maria as a character. I can't say anything more because of spoilers, but she's probably the most interesting character in the game for me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I forgot how derpy Pyramind Head's in-game model and animations are. He's so much less threatening when he looks exactly the same size as James and glitchily king tuts around the room.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I actually think it adds a sense of creepiness. He's not moving quite like a human and his actions seem bizarre. The big weird pyramid on his head might diminish his scariness in a different game, but it's the unknown about him, and how violent, erratic and unkillable he is that edges him over from goofy to spooky.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
PyramidHead's unknown quality reminds me of when I first encountered Tonberries in the Final Fantasy games: it doesn't move like other enemies, you don't/can't kill it like other enemies, and then OH GODS IT JUST KILLED MY WHOLE PARTY.

tl;dr: PyramidHead is creepy.

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013

Aesclepia posted:

PyramidHead's unknown quality reminds me of when I first encountered Tonberries in the Final Fantasy games: it doesn't move like other enemies, you don't/can't kill it like other enemies, and then OH GODS IT JUST KILLED MY WHOLE PARTY.

tl;dr: PyramidHead is creepy.

Tonberries are the only video game enemy I am legitimately afraid of.
Lizards should not have clothes, knives, or magic lanterns.

PH is weird and spooky, but I usually only find him scary at a specific point in the game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

http://imgur.com/gXXgxuh
So the Tonberry is the scary and not the cute one? Good thing that Tonberries are friendly now in FFXIV.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Hymirvetr posted:

http://imgur.com/gXXgxuh
So the Tonberry is the scary and not the cute one? Good thing that Tonberries are friendly now in FFXIV.

The thing with lots of teeth is a morbol. It's fine, it just has bad breath.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It's been mentioned in the Spoilers thread but not over here, so just in case; Konami will be delisting P.T. (the game with the teaser for Silent Hills at the end) off of the PS4's PSN on April 29th, so if you haven't grabbed it yet and wanted to, this is your last chance.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Welp, Konami got rid of all the people that made PT the phenomenon that it was, but say they're gonna continue developing Silent Hills: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/konami-responds-to-silent-hills-cancellation-claim/1100-6426908/

Can't wait for them to outsource Silent Hills to some western dev for zero money and put some guy in charge that will catch all the blame for them, ala Tomm Hulett.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Hrrm. This is awful.

Oh well. Either we'll get something surprisingly average, or entertainingly awful. Hopefully. Can't wait for you to LP it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

VoidBurger posted:

Welp, Konami got rid of all the people that made PT the phenomenon that it was, but say they're gonna continue developing Silent Hills: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/konami-responds-to-silent-hills-cancellation-claim/1100-6426908/

Can't wait for them to outsource Silent Hills to some western dev for zero money and put some guy in charge that will catch all the blame for them, ala Tomm Hulett.

Konami is sure good at making decisions. :hurr:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
People were losing their loving minds over silent hills, how would you EVER let it slip away like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

VoidBurger posted:

Maybe I'm cynical, but I took it to mean that Silent Hills as a whole was tossed out. Konami refused to comment on Silent Hills specifically, but said the Silent Hill series (singular) will continue to be developed.

So the next game will probably be outsourced to a western dev, but be tasked to make an entirely new Silent Hill game, separate from what was planned for Silent Hills.

Gamespot posted:

Regarding those rumours, Konami wouldn't discuss the Silent Hills project specifically, but said: "We will continue to develop the Silent Hill series."

Edit:

Artum posted:

People were losing their loving minds over silent hills, how would you EVER let it slip away like that?

To quote Jim Sterling, "Konami are petty fools who don't know how to business."

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 27, 2015

• Locked thread