Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Deadpool posted:

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

DiDio emphasized in his statement that DC’s focus will shift away from line wide tonality and towards diversity and creative freedom. “In this new era of storytelling, story will trump continuity as we continue to empower creators to tell the best stories in the industry,” he said.

Well drat, DC might have more than a handful of books worth reading again.

To be fair, DC's been all about putting stories before continuity ever since Flashpoint! It's just that a lot of the time those stories were poo poo.

Also I guess I'll see if Starfire could be the second coming of Palmiotti/Conner Power Girl, but goddamn Harley Quinn is so bad I just don't know if I can trust them.

Also also, I pray that the cancellation of Trinity of Sin and the merging of universes means that both the Question can be a person again, and the Phantom Stranger can be an actual Stranger and not just Phantom Judas because goddamn it no I won't stop ranting I still think it's dumb and I will never shut up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alucard Nacirema posted:

So apparently Scott Lobdell's hot new book Doomed is about the adventures of a teenage Doomsday clone....

Who is green lighting this stuff and why are they even wasting the paper?

They published a story called Superman: Doomed about Superman becoming Doomsday and literally being referred to as SUPERDOOMSDAY and that actually turned out to be pretty good. Crazier ideas have turned up decent books.

And as far as Red Hood/Arsenal goes, frankly I will forgive literally anything Lobdell does if he takes this prime opportunity the not-a-reboot is giving him and gets rid of Arsenal's goddamn trucker hat. Just pull a Marvel and sync up Roy to look like his TV counterpart, or give him another new look, just please artists, do something to not make Roy Harper look so dumb.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Pop quiz, hot shots:

Who is the worst DC superhero, and why are some people too dumb to admit it's Geo-Force?

Mullet Superman.

alternately, nu52 Arsenal.

VVV: Oh, oh, I'd like to change my answer!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 8, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I wonder how that went over in the Gotham news cycle?

EXTRA: ECCENTRIC BILLIONAIRE BRUCE WAYNE "ADOPTS" 18 YEAR-OLD ASIAN GIRL

"At a press conference, Wayne responded: 'Oh you loving perverts, get your mind out of the gutter.'"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Remember the ARG for the Dark Knight that had a pre-recording of cops calling to intimidate you if you did it right? And no one knew that was going to happen? What a great idea that couldn't possibly be misconstrued.

Wait what? I never heard about this. Holy poo poo that is nuts.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

They were real excited about that. They said they were aiming for the same feel that Powergirl had

Yaaaayy

quote:

and Harley Quinn has now.

Booooo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fuckstick Electric posted:

In a galaxy far, far away...

Convergence and Secret Wars are red herrings designed to get fans hyped for other books so they won't see the true big reveal of 2015: the return of Amalgam Comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Oh.

My.

GOD.

HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THEM IN THE SAME ROOM AT THE SAME TIME?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Those two pages are perhaps not good out of context.

Semper Fudge posted:

Grayson is good actually.

But this is actually a correct opinion.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know, I'm just saying they're obviously not doing a good job "selling" people on the series here.

VVV: :golfclap:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 4, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I never get tired of the idea that Deathstroke, a dude who got his rear end handed to him by Nightwing more than once, could take down the Flash and Green Lantern in three pages.

I've said it once and will say it again, Deathstroke is the worst character in comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is Batman coming back with a ribbed costume?

For your pleasure.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

BATMAN BEYOND #1
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art and cover by BERNARD CHANG
1:25 Variant cover by KALMAN ANDRASOFSKY
On sale JUNE 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
At last, Batman Beyond gets his own ongoing series in THE definitive future of the DCU! But this isn’t the Beyond you think you know! With the Justice League missing and without Bruce to guide him, this new Batman will need to explore this bizarre world on his own while fighting to raise humanity from an opponent that’s already won.
The heroes Batman knew have failed, the world he knew has been turned on its head, and every step he takes will lead him either toward finding home – or further down the road of disaster!

Oh good, glad to see a Batman Beyond comic featuring zero of the appeal of the actual source material, just what I wanted.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't the White Lantern thing all about life energy? Is Kyle even killable while he has the ring?

Apparently!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

We got something better, a Rocafort Variant

:barf:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The idea of Luthor literally curing cancer as a smokescreen just to backstab Superman is fantastic.

PS. You are all babies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

So now they're a super frat?

I would love to see a Justice League Initiation Week.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Futures End, Earth 2: World's End, CoIE, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis (no Superman Beyond, of course) and Flashpoint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs7PmoHpNhA

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

"We were all enjoying our PRE-CRISIS lives till we were brought to this strange place!"
"Time doesn't move here. All of the clocks in the city stopped at 12:00am, or you could say, ZERO HOUR!"

"All the power's gone out, guess we'll have to go back to lighting GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chinaman7000 posted:

That's pretty much how all my favorite comics go

Gail Simone parachute account spotted

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Wow I'm sorry but that looks dumb as poo poo. Why is Superman running around dressed like a ninja fighting people hand to hand? WHY DOES HE HAVE HIS FULL CAPE AND COSTUME UNDER A NINJA SUIT? Did I miss something where he changed places with the guy or something?

I think that and the Atom preview both answer pretty well that apparently people under the domes lose their powers... Except until they have to have a one-shot based around them, at which point they get their powers back.

As for the full costume thing... I guess Superman does it because it makes him feel better?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Am I just not "getting" this Convergence stuff or are these comics really just kinda weird and offputting for some reason? Of the three previews posted so far, I don't think a single one has really excited me.

I'm kind of with you. I don't know why, but for some reason I was under the illusion that this whole thing would be sort of visiting all these old universes... like, the whole universe. Instead it seems to be "here's a weird scenario inside bottled Pre-Crisis Gotham or whatever".

And I guess that makes sense in the overall grand story that Convergence is supposed to be but like I said, I just got myself overly excited to read more issues of Pre-Flashpoint comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

moleman posted:

I must be from the convergent universe where everybody wanted revisit anything from Flashpoint.

Flashpoint had plenty of decent ideas, it's just the execution and what the event led to that makes people bitter towards it. If nothing else, Captain Thunder being a weird Captain Planet/He-Man mashup was great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

These domes have managed to make even alternate Amanda Wallers lose weight. What a miracle weight loss supplement being bottled is!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't believe anyone's posted this, but Dan Jurgens announced that Tim Drake is starring in the Batman Beyond comic book, you know, in case you were on the fence thinking it wouldn't be bad.

http://www.newsarama.com/24134-jurgens-clarifies-tim-drake-s-role-in-new-batman-beyond-series.html

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Scott Lobdell I said at the announcement of the relaunch that if you took that loving hat off Arsenal I'd buy every issue of Red Hood but you didn't, now stop trying to sucker me in with mime fights.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

There were a couple of pretty solid stories in Sensation Comics recently that have Diana as a teen. For this lighter-seeming tone it's a very viable route.

I also feel like they skipped Catwoman in this first wave because she's harder to parse in a kid-friendly, positive, no-parents-group-objections way. Harley can just be the ditzy clown, Ivy can be 'environmentalist' without the murder-y elements, but Selina's things to the public at large are 'thief/criminal' and 'sexy'.

Selina's thing to the public is "criminal", but Harley's isn't?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Batman, the final solution against crime.

I appreciate this post even if no one else does

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

I thought Frank Miller was dying, or was that just a rumour?

He looks like he's dying but nothing's ever been said to confirm that anything is wrong with the guy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Holy poo poo

The new suits look loving awesome :allears:

Dammit Scott Lobdell just drop the act and get a namechange already.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That is just awful.

And also, wow Killer Frost's original name was Crystal Frost? Something about that name just strikes me as ridiculously lazy/silly even in a world where Mr. Freeze/Victor Fries is a thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Does Edward Nigma also bother you?

I'm sure there's a hundred other horrible real names in comics, I just can't think of anything.

Oh there's a ton of bad ones but for some reason Crystal Frost just stuck out. Maybe because I hadn't heard it before so it actually made the "this is dumb" part of my brain light up, as opposed to poo poo like Victor Fries/Edward Nigma/Julian Day/every other Batman rogue that I guess I've just seen so much in cartoons/videogames/etc that I don't even think about their inherent ridiculousness.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 28, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am down for Bat-mech, but god I hate Gordon's new look. I don't know if Capullo just loves short mohawks and Snyder's throwing him a bone, or if Snyder loves short mohawks, but they literally just had Joker have the same haircut, then before that had Bruce have the short buzzcut in Zero Year.

Also no mustache = NOT MAH COMMISSIONER

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's actually pretty nice. Worlds better than his last one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Oh neat, I couldn't find them anywhere

Is there an editorial edict now that everyone needs that short-hair-on-sides haircut now? poo poo, Joker had it, Commissioner Gordon's got it, now apparently Red Hood and Arsenal have got it. The New New 52: Mohawks for everyone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hate Roy's undercut but gently caress it, if it gets rid of that drat trucker hat, I'll take what concessions I can get.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

How are the Green Lantern books these days? Any good?

Red Lanterns was good, note that I say "was" because it's over now. Charles Soule spun gold out of crap, then left. It kind of declined after that but I personally think it finished up well enough before its cancellation.

Sinestro's a pretty nice antihero book that I, at least, am enjoying.

As for the other Lantern titles, they have been pretty bad since Johns left and that's saying something, since Johns was on a steady decline for a while.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vegetables posted:

I thought New 52 Booster Gold was the pre-Flashpoint Booster Gold; am I hopelessly confused?

That was a really popular fan theory for a long time, but it was never really said to be definitive. Now it appears that New 52 Booster was definitely always a different guy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"All right gang, let's see who's really behind this trend..."

*Dan Didio pulls off rubber mask*

"Macklemore?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Swillkitsch posted:

But I don't want the glasses to be off for good :(

Agreed. I have faith in Pak but I hope they aren't honestly gonna try to make a secret-identity-less Superman a new status quo.

Whew. Thank goodness, for a second after seeing that other preview I was worried that Arsenal had gotten a terrible haircut and ditched the trucker hat and remembered that I had sworn to read every issue of RH&A if they ditched said hat, but since Roy's got bad hair and a bad hat, I'm safe.

• Locked thread