Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Still having a problem with hitting I guess. Rookie is far far too easy, almost every hit is a HR. Switching to Veteran, I get maybe 1 run a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Timing/zone aside, I've noticed a couple of other dramatic changes in hitting this year:

-Even with a significant contact rating, foul balls seem to be down quite a bit as opposed to '14, meaning that at least half of the time, too late or too early contact puts a ball into play usually resulting in an out.

-Middle infielders seem to move much better; if I ground one past the pitcher, but to either side of 2nd base, a lot of the time the 2B/SS will actually make a play on it.

-Pitchers are really, really putting a lot of balls right on the edges and throwing way more balls than in '14. Last year it seemed like every 8 out of 10 AB's, you'd get 2, maybe 3, absolutely crushable pitches in the strike zone. This year, I'm being more patient & either drawing more walks or getting some really nice looks on 3-0, 3-1.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I'm drawing more walks against human competition in h2h, I doubt that the players have changed that much or my eye has improved any.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

I'm drawing more walks against human competition in h2h, I doubt that the players have changed that much or my eye has improved any.

I meant in RttS; npc pitching has definitely changed this year.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

I'm finding it wayyyy easier to pitch effectively. Fastballs seem to have better late movement across the board. Sliders are a joy to use, to the point where I don't really want to use a pitcher who doesn't have one.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
i dont like throwing sliders because then they just get mashed because im bad at slidering

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Keep them low and only throw them if they break away from the batter.

Backdoor breaking balls are fun but turn into mashed taters if you miss.

Jondan
Oct 18, 2005

I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once

Harlock posted:

Still having a problem with hitting I guess. Rookie is far far too easy, almost every hit is a HR. Switching to Veteran, I get maybe 1 run a game.
Have you messed with the sliders at all, in combination with ramping up to Veteran and beyond? Dropped pitch speed a bit? Changed any of the "Human" hitting sliders?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

quote:

Urgent: MLB 15 The Show - Patch 1.02 Change Notes (PS4 and PS3)
Today, 04:26 AM
Patch 1.02 for MLB 15 The Show on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 went live Thursday morning PDT. Below are the change notes:

Game Update 1.02 Fix List
Online Gameplay – Game would occasionally hang following an Intentional Walk, a regular Base on Balls, a Hit by Pitch, or a Balk.
General – Batters would strikeout on the second strike when the performed certain check swings at pitches in the dirt.
Franchise mode – Edit Player screen was limiting users from editing generated players, and players on certain teams.
General – Specific “wall s****ing” home runs would result in a baserunner staying on 1st base, and not score correctly.
Online Franchise - Injuries were not occurring during Online Franchise games.
Online Gameplay – Guessing Pitches had a delay and users would occasionally fail to guess Location and Pitch Type when offering input quickly.
Online – Within Game Rooms, users were missing their rank logos that distinguished them as Rookie, Veteran, All-Star, Hall of Fame, or Legend rank.
Online – Play Now Rated and Diamond Dynasty – Home and Away team assignment was not random, resulting in some users always being the home team, or always the away team.
Online – Play Now Online rated – Controlling the KC Royals, user would be given control of the ace pitcher (Ventura) no matter who was chosen to be the starting pitcher in the Pitcher Select screen.
Card Collections – Redeem Legend button was missing after completing a collection.
General - CPU runners were not using correct lead off logic.
General – Specific edited rosters would cause the game to crash when loading into a Road To The Show Showcase game.
General – Andrew McCutchen’s hair has been adjusted – We gave him a haircut to match his current appearance.
General – Wrigley Field had some collision/Home Run detection issues. Certain foul balls were being counted as Home Runs down the 1st base line.
General – Sounds of the Show issues have been resolved. Custom music was not being saved correctly where users intended them to.
General – Public Announcer audio was frequently incorrect (announcing the wrong name) during the end of game wrap up and also when bringing relief pitchers into the game.
General – Highlight Reel was added back into post game menus, by popular demand!
General – Tweaking and refining of in game sound effects.
General – Front End User Interface tweaking. Team colors on User’s Player Card.
General – Tuning to trade logic, specifically how the CPU traded with other CPU teams in Franchise and Season modes.
General – Baserunning/Lead Runner windows were missing from Manager Mode.
General - Players will now wear sleeves when the game is played at lower temperatures.
General – Fixed many occurrences of consumer reported crashes, reported to us through the PS4 operating system crash reporting tool. Areas that encountered these rare crashes included: Exiting Amateur Draft in Franchise mode / Entering Diamond Dynasty / During initial boot-up / Using the Suggested Trade feature in Franchise mode / Specific in game scenarios.
Community Market – Changing pages in the marketplace completed order now works.
Gameplay – Animation clean up and tuning.
Gameplay – Adjustments to tagging sliding baserunners.
AI tuning – Bunt success rate was incorrect/too successful and accurate.
Year to Year Saves modifications – Properly handling a small batch of players who were not in the league in MLB 14, and how they transfer over to MLB 15.
Thanks for playing The Show!
- The Show team

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
i have the weirdest "bug" happening in my RTTS.

I started with last year's game, so imported it this year. It's now like 2018 or 2019 or something, and three of the league's leaders in steals are .... albert pujols, miguel cabrera and wellington castillo. Anyone else see this? All three have extremely low speed (like in the 20s) but have 99s in stealing. I imagine that their stealing rating got so low at some point that it looped around and is now maxed. It's kind of funny, we just hit the allstar break and Miggy has 29 steals.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Ha, I managed to get 700 free innings of 2X boost for my RTTS pitcher because I was throwing a no-hitter into the 18th inning on 204 pitches. The computer manager subbed me after giving a lead off single in the 18th. It ended up counting the extra innings as a negative and added 700 innings to my remaining innings value for the boost.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ihatepants posted:

Ha, I managed to get 700 free innings of 2X boost for my RTTS pitcher because I was throwing a no-hitter into the 18th inning on 204 pitches. The computer manager subbed me after giving a lead off single in the 18th. It ended up counting the extra innings as a negative and added 700 innings to my remaining innings value for the boost.

:captainpop:

also that is cool

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Picture of said feat. It's actually this batter that I gave up a single to, after 223 pitches in the 19th. I was obviously playing with CPU sliders turned all the way down because I wanted to get that drat perfect game. My first baseman ended up making an error with 1 out to go in the 9th, and my team still couldn't support me with any offense. We end up losing after this inning, but I don't get the loss since the runner I was responsible for was out on a fielder's choice.

I forgot to take a picture immediately after getting the free bonus innings, so this is after some more games played. Still says I have 594 innings until the bonus is gone.

so edgy i cut YOU BITCH
Apr 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I'm probably picking up a Ps4 soon and getting the game, and had a question.

I currently have last years game for PS3 with a franchise I put a ton of time into. I know you're able to carry franchises over this year, but does that still work going from PS3 to ps4?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I gave up and just jacked up the contact and timing sliders a bit for the "human" players. The game is entirely too unforgiving, even on Veteran with zone hitting. I don't remember it being that bad in 10, but it's really rough.

I'll start bringing it down in time, but dear God.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I could never hit using zone. Reading the pitch/moving the stick/getting the timing right with the swing was way too hard.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
i just do zone but ignore the stick and play as a ghetto timing.

i should really just learn to hit analog.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dubious posted:

i just do zone but ignore the stick and play as a ghetto timing.

i should really just learn to hit analog.

Try just picking one area and parking the zone there. So look only for low stuff or only inside, etc. I have the Phillies batting .300 right now which is not a thing that should be happening.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I am thinking of taking the plunge into MLB 15 but had a few questions first!

Is it possible to do franchise mode as a AA or AAA team, or do you have to be in the big leagues? I have a soft sport for the minor league teams, I grew up watching them with my grandfather and it would be fun to take one of those teams through its paces!

Kinda on the same note: has much changed in the Road to the Show between now and '12? I last played this game on the PS3 and loved the whole "sports game/rpg" deal it had going for itself.

Thanks!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Franchise mode should give you control of your team and it's affiliates, if you wanted to, you could just play the AAA games.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

davecrazy posted:

I could never hit using zone. Reading the pitch/moving the stick/getting the timing right with the swing was way too hard.

I use zone because for decades zone has been what I've been using. All the way back to the NES days playing Bases Loaded, I have been aiming the bat to where the ball was. Ken Griffey had those circles you had to aim. MVP for a long time was zone until their last year, and I still played it like it was zone and owned.

My problem with MLB's directional is it goes against literally 25 years of me playing baseball games. My instinct is to move the stick to where the ball IS not to where I want it.

It's also counter intuitive to me as it is because when you play baseball, you're not telling yourself "oh ok, I'll just hit it this way". Yes, the very very very best guys can push/pull a pitch and get on top/under a ball. However, 90% of batting is just making the contact and hoping it works out. If your name is Mickey Mantle, then maybe you can consistently choose what field you're hitting to.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

The best part about this game is playing baseball dress up pregame.

Those Atlanta Blues :allears:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Do they still make you wear camo jerseys in RTTS every other loving day?

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
I just finished my 2018 RTTS season (that began with MLB14 and was imported over this year.)

Like I said earlier, there looks to be a bug with players whose steal and stealing aggressiveness ratings dip so low that they cycle back around to 99.

So Miguel Cabrera went 30/30 in 2018, and Albert Pujols, who at this point is a 66 overall and hits .250 with no power, stole 58 bases. Cubs catcher Wellington Castillo stole 25 bases.

All three have speed ratings in the low 20s, but steal and steal aggression ratings of 98/99. It's pretty hilarious.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

IMB posted:

I just finished my 2018 RTTS season (that began with MLB14 and was imported over this year.)

Like I said earlier, there looks to be a bug with players whose steal and stealing aggressiveness ratings dip so low that they cycle back around to 99.

So Miguel Cabrera went 30/30 in 2018, and Albert Pujols, who at this point is a 66 overall and hits .250 with no power, stole 58 bases. Cubs catcher Wellington Castillo stole 25 bases.

All three have speed ratings in the low 20s, but steal and steal aggression ratings of 98/99. It's pretty hilarious.

In the operation sports thread they said they found the bug and should have it fixed in the next patch

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Hahaha the Red Sox are going to make the playoffs. I have 3 games left, vs Padres, Rays, and Rockiea.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

Troxartas posted:

In the operation sports thread they said they found the bug and should have it fixed in the next patch

I prefer it this way. I like to think that Pujols took the offseason to lose 50 pounds and work on his 40 time.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I know this has existed in the show forever, so they don't care about fixing it, but there really needs to be better logic in RTTS for being brought in to pinch hit. Last night I hit 55-game hitting streak and skip decided to bring me in bottom of the 9th 2 men on 2 out on my day off the next day.

gently caress off skip, this is why I save often. (Also, because of the horrible bug in MLB10 that literally made it impossible to advance and if you saved you literally lost your character, I always keep two saves just in case something happens to one).

Maybe I turned the tuners up a little too high. :v:

EDIT:
Also, they literally said nothing when I hit 56 and 57. Seriously, SEA?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

JetsGuy posted:

So I know this has existed in the show forever, so they don't care about fixing it, but there really needs to be better logic in RTTS for being brought in to pinch hit. Last night I hit 55-game hitting streak and skip decided to bring me in bottom of the 9th 2 men on 2 out on my day off the next day.

gently caress off skip, this is why I save often. (Also, because of the horrible bug in MLB10 that literally made it impossible to advance and if you saved you literally lost your character, I always keep two saves just in case something happens to one).

Maybe I turned the tuners up a little too high. :v:

EDIT:
Also, they literally said nothing when I hit 56 and 57. Seriously, SEA?

Because they know you cheated.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

jabro posted:

Because they know you cheated.

If Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Big Mac etc get to stay in the record books with their ill-begotten records, so do I. :mad:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

If Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Big Mac etc get to stay in the record books with their ill-begotten records, so do I. :mad:

Except thr game doesn't list Barry Bonds it just says "San Francisco"

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Pretty :smug: about my plate discipline.

This was online h2h.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 4, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

davecrazy posted:

This was online h2h.

That is very impressive for this game. The first pic is my normal swung graph.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
:stonk:

jabro you fucker lets play an mlb laugher

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

davecrazy posted:

This was online h2h.

take note y'all Dave likes to chase low. :v:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Those changeups and curveballs down can be brutal.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dubious posted:

:stonk:

jabro you fucker lets play an mlb laugher

I actually haven't bought this year's game yet. I was in Vegas when it dropped. When I got back and read this thread I decided to wait until they fixed online. From what this and the online league thread has to say I'll be waiting for awhile.

But it looks like Beckham Jr will be on the cover on Madden this year so you know I'll buying that sight unseen. Need something to remember what could have been if the Madden Curse didn't strike.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
the online league is actually thriving and doing well except one player who isnt based in the US though

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dubious posted:

the online league is actually thriving and doing well except one player who isnt based in the US though

So like the Blue Jays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
I'm creating my own Not Top 10 on my pitcher RTTS, ill upload these videos when i figure out how to use technology.

First, I get a swing and a miss on a high fastball for strike 3, though my catcher misses it and it bounces off his facemask ... right back to me, so I throw the batter out at first. I got a strikeout and an assist on three pitches, which is surely the highest point total you can get in one play.

Then, with a runner on first, I get a called strike on a changeup. When the catcher tries to throw out the runner who is stealing second, he throws the ball right off my dick. Thanks, Pinto!

• Locked thread