Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

during my adulthood there have been at least 4 movies released that could have been called "spiderman 2"

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile

i was talking to my son, who is also named 'spiderman 2'

Helluva

If you are into Diablo-esque pre-rendered GFX and VS style gameplay check this thing out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2218750/Halls_of_Torment/

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Sifu was free on PSplus and i'm digging it, it's this weird roguelike kung fu game and you can do insane combos and wild moves and there's a thing where when you die you get older which means your damage dealt goes up but your health goes down. barely beat the first cycle on Student and now i'm going back and replaying to get the "good ending." Short but sweet. lovely game.

Finger Prince

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Sifu was free on PSplus and i'm digging it, it's this weird roguelike kung fu game and you can do insane combos and wild moves and there's a thing where when you die you get older which means your damage dealt goes up but your health goes down. barely beat the first cycle on Student and now i'm going back and replaying to get the "good ending." Short but sweet. lovely game.

I downloaded that too, only had time to play through the tutorial/into. Great button masher! If it relies on me remembering specific complex button+stick combos though, I'm gonna suck at it in short order.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Finger Prince posted:

I downloaded that too, only had time to play through the tutorial/into. Great button masher! If it relies on me remembering specific complex button+stick combos though, I'm gonna suck at it in short order.

for the high scores and whatnot, but if you're like me, you'll find a combo you like and work that in. really focusing on parry/dodge mechanics to keep you from getting hit is the most important part.

Farecoal

There he go
Finally the biggest flaw of Fire Emblem Three Houses is rectified

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

Do you have like, one/two hours free this weekend and have a love for paintings, puzzle games, and finding hidden objects? Do you wanna play something that scratches all those itches and is also FREEEEE??

I got recommended this super amusing game on Steam called Please Touch the Artwork 2 and I'm loving every second of it.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

bought Helldivers 2 out of peer pressure and played some solos and co-ops and wow. I get why people go nuts over this one

RavenousScoot

played a good amount of devil daggers since it came out and never came near the only achievement, which is to last ~8 minutes

had been putting off touching the sequel, Hyper Demon, bc I didn't even come near "finishing" the first, but I finally caved and it's got so much cool poo poo
from the changed up scoring, to enemies, to the mother fuckin V I S U A L S
uh
it's prob not for most people but check out 30 seconds of gameplay or a trailer or something and see what's up

THANK YOU NESAM :^))
Previous:

code:
https://i.imgur.com/1rh8sdW.mp4 - manifisto
https://i.imgur.com/DeyYjwj.mp4 - vanisher
Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
word i need to play hyper demon

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

been playing need for speed unbound again

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

Farecoal

There he go
Roadwarden is very good and I couldn't stop playing it yesterday

riptidejim

Have a good night!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

about how long did it take you? i thought it looked really cool but I've been spending all my video game time with ff7 rebirth recently. i was thinking of taking a small break to give Sifu a shot, and if it's short enough i may as well try to complete it.

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hey a bunch of SaGa games are on sale on switch, I’ve never played any of them but it’s payday, which one should I grab and try

Ass-penny

any you yobbers have strong opinions on PlayStation 5? I'm thinking about getting one, but I haven't bought a videogame console since the Xbox 360 and I'm pretty out of the loop, re: what is happening in games. my roommate has a Xbox series whatever (the newer one) and I thought I should go PS just to get some new fresh titles available, and maybe be on his Xbox less, especially for something like, say, watching Netflix or something. are there different models of the PS5, and what are the salient differences?

I'm sure there's some information in VG but I haven't really posted there, so I'm asking for thoughts/links here first.

Rockman Reserve

the ps5 freaking owns

e: there is definitely a disc and a digital-only option for models at the very least. all ps5 games need to be installed on the SSD to run so the game disc is basically a weird authentication check - that said, I’d still suggest the disc option even if your whole ps5 collection is digital unless you are absolutely 1000% sure you’re never going to want to run a ps4 game off a disc or watch a blu-ray or w/e

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 16, 2024

more falafel please

forums poster

yeah, there's no weird poo poo like the "series x/series s" with the PS5, the difference in models is just if they have a disc drive or not. there's supposedly a slim version coming soon, but internally that'll be the same. hasn't happened to me yet with the PS5, but in the ps4 era I definitely bought games on disc, because they'd often be way cheaper than the digital version.

the biggest problem the PS5 has at the moment is there are not that many exclusive games, specifically exclusive to the PS5. it plays the entire library of PS4 games though, and there's tons of those. the main differences, to me: 4K instead of 1080p, games designed specifically for the PS5 have muuuuuch better load times, and the controller's better. it's the first major controller redesign since the original DualShock and I definitely like it better.

you can also probably find a used PS4 for cheap, but it's up to you.

Ass-penny

nice! thanks friends. this is all good stuff to know. I don't have any PS4 games (the only PS I own is a slim PS2), still have most of those and even some original PS games. I will be shopping for new stuff too, but I don't suppose that it's completely backwards compatible?

The controller redesign is interesting to me! I'm shocked Sony kept that dual shock controller so long. I mean, it was a fine controller, I never had problems, but the Xbox controller seems like it has been retooled every step of the way, and the PS controller just lost it's cord and was given a big ol light on the front for some reason.

mfp thank you for the economy option too, but I just got my tax refund and it's like, exactly what a PS5 is. so like I said to the guy at the liquor store yesterday afternoon when I had exact change: looks like god wanted me to have this box of wine PS5

Finger Prince

rear end-penny posted:

nice! thanks friends. this is all good stuff to know. I don't have any PS4 games (the only PS I own is a slim PS2), still have most of those and even some original PS games. I will be shopping for new stuff too, but I don't suppose that it's completely backwards compatible?

The controller redesign is interesting to me! I'm shocked Sony kept that dual shock controller so long. I mean, it was a fine controller, I never had problems, but the Xbox controller seems like it has been retooled every step of the way, and the PS controller just lost it's cord and was given a big ol light on the front for some reason.

mfp thank you for the economy option too, but I just got my tax refund and it's like, exactly what a PS5 is. so like I said to the guy at the liquor store yesterday afternoon when I had exact change: looks like god wanted me to have this box of wine PS5

If you get one higher priced tiers of PS Plus subscriptions, you get access to a huge amoun of back catalog games from previous PlayStation versions. It's slightly annoying having to pay for online access, but the free games you get from Sony kind of offsets that.

Rockman Reserve

…. the dualshock got a much bigger redesign from the ps3 (which really did use essentially ps1 controllers) to the PS4 than the ps4->ps5, am i losing my mind here

but the dualsense 5 or whatever it’s called is fantastic yeah

Prurient Squid

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I've got back into Grandia for the first time in decades probably.

I'd forgotten how great it is. The soundtrack is really heavenly to listen to. I loved the seagul voices at the port. Also this is the first time I'm playing it in Japanese.

Playing it as an adult makes me realise how dumb the evil army in the game is.

1 general, 1 colonel, 1 liutenant, 3 seargants and everyone else.

Saoshyant

The PS5 sure is an expensive way to play PS4 games. And there's no Gamepass there; Sony's version of it is very lacking in comparison.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

Philippe

(she/her)

I just wait until they come to PC

more falafel please

forums poster

Rockman Reserve posted:

…. the dualshock got a much bigger redesign from the ps3 (which really did use essentially ps1 controllers) to the PS4 than the ps4->ps5, am i losing my mind here

but the dualsense 5 or whatever it’s called is fantastic yeah

it was definitely a bigger departure than ps1/2/3 was, but I think the bigger "wings" or whatever you call them are a pretty big change. plus the reactive triggers are honestly pretty wild.

but honestly if I see a black wireless ps3/4 controller I'm probably gonna have to check which kind of usb port it has

that said I guess the touchpad is a pretty huge difference

Goons Are Gifts

There was a video from videogamedunkey about the ps5 being already at its last life cycle according to Sony and that there's a ps6 coming?? I mean I don't know anything but anyways here it's funny!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA6Rq__Z8PM

I do assume it's mostly a joke, so don't take my words here for anything else heh

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

riptidejim posted:

about how long did it take you? i thought it looked really cool but I've been spending all my video game time with ff7 rebirth recently. i was thinking of taking a small break to give Sifu a shot, and if it's short enough i may as well try to complete it.

5-6 hours max and that's with some grinding on lower difficulties for XP to get all the unlocks and then learning how to spare bosses

Saoshyant

Goons Are Gifts posted:

I do assume it's mostly a joke, so don't take my words here for anything else heh

It's both a joke but also frustration on a generation that is entirely composed of remasters and half sequels that just resemble the games that came in the previous gen and do little new. And when you add that most games are actually cross-gen (still coming out on PS4 and Switch) and that Switch is seven years old now, and this new generation is turning into just a big "eh".

Dunkey has been vocal about it since the release of the PS5/XSX consoles, how there's no "wow" factor anymore. Just slightly prettier games that cost more, bankrupt more studios in the process, and the market is entirely composed of more expensive hardware whose cost doesn't really justify itself. The PS5 will be four years old in some months, and the well known meme about "the PS5 has got no games" remains true because it never got any mind-blowing exclusives during all this time. Sony even went as far as shut down many of their studios in the last few years, resulting in no variety for its first party games.

And this year Sony will be releasing a PS5 Pro, a "mid-gen" stopgap until its PS6 is ready. But... why? The average person will likely get more fun out of a Switch, a Steam Deck, or even the cheaper Xbox Series S + GamePass.

Ass-penny

all this discourse is making me think I should slow my roll, lmao

kalel

if the switch 2 is able to play blu-rays then I don't know how sony or microsoft will recover. I mean it's just over at that point

Rockman Reserve

Rockman Reserve posted:

hey a bunch of SaGa games are on sale on switch, I’ve never played any of them but it’s payday, which one should I grab and try

update:

i got a few (they were way cheap) and tried scarlet grace ambition and it is wildly strange but I kind of think I am enjoying it? playing as urpina who is delightful so far despite her terrible name

I’m only a couple hours in and it’s sort of kind of clicking but it seems pretty deep and probably replayable even beyond just the four character stories. very different from what I was expecting (i kinda figured it would be more standard jrpg fare) but it’s really neat.

Finger Prince

Saoshyant posted:

It's both a joke but also frustration on a generation that is entirely composed of remasters and half sequels that just resemble the games that came in the previous gen and do little new. And when you add that most games are actually cross-gen (still coming out on PS4 and Switch) and that Switch is seven years old now, and this new generation is turning into just a big "eh".

Dunkey has been vocal about it since the release of the PS5/XSX consoles, how there's no "wow" factor anymore. Just slightly prettier games that cost more, bankrupt more studios in the process, and the market is entirely composed of more expensive hardware whose cost doesn't really justify itself. The PS5 will be four years old in some months, and the well known meme about "the PS5 has got no games" remains true because it never got any mind-blowing exclusives during all this time. Sony even went8 as far as shut down many of their studios in the last few years, resulting in no variety for its first party games.

And this year Sony will be releasing a PS5 Pro, a "mid-gen" stopgap until its PS6 is ready. But... why? The average person will likely get more fun out of a Switch, a Steam Deck, or even the cheaper Xbox Series S + GamePass.

I think the no good games on PS5 is a bit hyperbolic. Sony certainly suffered during covid with hardware issues and everything, along with everyone else. I hadn't heard about the pro version of ps5, but they did the same for PS4. Mid cycle hardware upgrade. I guess fun is relative. Also, PSVR2 is probably the cheapest route to VR gaming, even factoring in the console cost. If you're the kind of person who builds and maintains a four figure gaming PC, a PS5 probably isn't going to tickle your fancy. The switch has its own niche that stands alone, imo. If you're a console gamer at heart though, I think it's a solid choice.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Mario vs rabbits is my new favorite xcom game lol

also got harvestella and it seems chill

thanks deep dish peat moss and big black turnout!!

riptidejim

Have a good night!

Saoshyant posted:

This is also the game generation where i've become really frustrated with how things are as whole. I think when (not even if at this point, just when) physical games die that'll be my breaking point and i'll just play Everblue 2 on PlayStation 2 for the rest of my life

more falafel please

forums poster

there just isn't much further we can take graphics in a way that adds extra enjoyment, tbh. resolution is already basically peaked. if you have a screen of a reasonable size for a living room and you're sitting 10' away, you're basically never going to tell the difference between 4K and 8K. my vision kinda sucks so honestly 1080 and 4K don't look that different. modern games render 4K at 60fps of basically photorealistic environments and characters with great lighting and shadows and subsurface scattering and real-time raytracing in certain cases on commodity hardware you can buy at target for under $500. and it looks a little bit better than it did 10 years ago

Finger Prince

more falafel please posted:

there just isn't much further we can take graphics in a way that adds extra enjoyment, tbh. resolution is already basically peaked. if you have a screen of a reasonable size for a living room and you're sitting 10' away, you're basically never going to tell the difference between 4K and 8K. my vision kinda sucks so honestly 1080 and 4K don't look that different. modern games render 4K at 60fps of basically photorealistic environments and characters with great lighting and shadows and subsurface scattering and real-time raytracing in certain cases on commodity hardware you can buy at target for under $500. and it looks a little bit better than it did 10 years ago

We've always been saying that though. "Wow, look at these environmental effects, these textures! So realistic! Surely we've reached the peak, I don't know how graphics can improve from here..." -first time playing OG Skyrim
I know immersion doesn't necessarily equal enjoyment, but it is important for me. That's why I got a VR headset. VR is amazing, but there's a ton of room for improvement in graphics there. Especially looking at what you need in the way of PC hardware to run it well.
Games aren't really at a photorealistic level yet, imo. They're convincing, but there's a long way to go, and it isn't necessarily about resolution, it's about how many moving things you can show on the screen, and how those things are animated. Things like pushing realistically through foliage. Leaving persistent tracks, realistic environment destruction, there's a lot more to graphical realism than just resolution and frame rate.

Ass-penny

sure sure, resolution, light direction and shading are all well and good, but they still can't bridge the uncanny valley, so...

sb hermit

Finger Prince posted:

We've always been saying that though. "Wow, look at these environmental effects, these textures! So realistic! Surely we've reached the peak, I don't know how graphics can improve from here..." -first time playing OG Skyrim
I know immersion doesn't necessarily equal enjoyment, but it is important for me. That's why I got a VR headset. VR is amazing, but there's a ton of room for improvement in graphics there. Especially looking at what you need in the way of PC hardware to run it well.
Games aren't really at a photorealistic level yet, imo. They're convincing, but there's a long way to go, and it isn't necessarily about resolution, it's about how many moving things you can show on the screen, and how those things are animated. Things like pushing realistically through foliage. Leaving persistent tracks, realistic environment destruction, there's a lot more to graphical realism than just resolution and frame rate.

I agree. I played a bit of skyrim on playstation VR and it was absolute crap in terms of framerate.

I could see the potential but I think the industry has to continue to design wholly new games and game engines to provide rock solid framerates on VR as well as whatever else needs to be done to fix motion sickness (maybe motion blurring, depth of field or other solutions if not just junking it entirely and make everything an offshoot of AR)

sb hermit

Widespread VR always seems to be about five years into the future at any given moment (even five years from now) and I think John Carmack hit it on the head when he thought that the only way for it to take off was to design a revolutionary wireless headset that is really light and costs less than about $250 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve

the meta quest 3 is decently light and costs on par with a current gen console, less than a phone, and they just announced a cheaper one. like the tech is already there, mostly, people just aren’t super aware of it (I had no idea the quest 3 was usable stand-alone until I played with one, and they were pushing ads on Hulu *super* hard at the time) and apple is muddying the waters hardcore with a headset that costs a car down payment for some ungodly reason

i think honestly the whole industry is screwy with people like palmer luckey and the zucc so it eats itself in dumb ways