Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hi all, I have a question:

Make: Kia
Model: Sorento SX V6
Year: 2016 (bought october 2015)
Mileage: 28k km (pretty low)

Problem: When parking on an incline nose down (not even that steep) the EPB (electronic parking brake) light comes on after starting up and it refuses to disengage. I have had the car towed to the dealership where they say they can’t find any fault with it, and to monitor it. Well, it happened again a couple times only this time I just drove it around a corner (with the emerg brake engaged, not good I know) to a flat area where I can then disengage it. Now I try to never park on a downward incline but sometimes it kicks in at angles less steep than I would have expected.

I took it into the dealership again as part of a regular oil/winter tire swap and told them it was still doing it but again they shrugged and said they couldn’t find any sign because there were no “codes” on the system.

It’s pretty annoying and in the space of just a couple months turned me from really enjoying the car and being pretty pro on Kia to souring me both on the systems and their service.

Mostly I’d like to know if there is anything I could tell the service dept to check or suggest fixes (I have heard this is controlled by a “body control module” from some googling and swapping that out can resolve it. This was in hyundai genesis but I imagine the systems are fairly similar across the sister korean brands and models.

Anyway any advice or ideas on how to deal with it would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good points thanks! Also if anyone had similar issues with EPBs it would be interesting to hear how they got solved..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Charles posted:

Is the parking brake light the same as your regular brake warning light? If so, check your brake fluid level.

Parking brake light is different, it has the usual red indicator with the (( )) around it when engaged. When the issue crops up the “EPB” amber light comes on along with the “AUTO HOLD” notification. The first time I took it into the dealership they made sure the brake fluid was topped up, they thought maybe it was exposing a sensor when at an angle.

taqueso posted:

Are you using the auto-hold feature when you are shutting the car off?

Guessing you've seen this one? It has some ideas on getting it to release:
https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/2016-sorento-sx-electronic-parking-brake-wont-release.338752/

I just use the parking brake engage switch, I don’t usually use auto hold at all. However as mentioned above it does light up the AH indicator when the problem pops up.

I had seen that thread as well, it didn’t really have a satisfactory conclusion I thought. Don’t really want to have to disconnect the battery or pull fuses if it gets stuck!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Regarding my EPB issue I filled out the service survey the other day indicating how pissed off I am and got a call about it just now offering me a loaner until they can figure out the issue on my car so that’s cool. I am a super wuss and hate raising a stink about things but these surveys seem super effective when they stress anything less than 9s or 10s are regarded as a fail.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hi thread, I'm buying a new vehicle (Volvo V60 T8 Recharge) and would like to get a set of winter wheels for it and have a 2 part question:

- The wheel size is 235/40/R19 in the manual however the brake rotor/caliper is pretty massive and wondering if there are additional specs I should be looking for? I don't see anything else in the online manual so wondering if it might be something that would be on the tire pressure decal in the car door sill. I'm hesitant to buy a set of wheels until I know for sure they will fit over that big rotor/caliper.
- Are there any preferred brands of winter tires these days? I have had a few sets of Nokian hakkapeliittas and they've been great but the Michelin X-Ice would probably be the other one I'd be looking at.

I'm in western canada and would probably be going to kaltire for it because they're always great but if people have other recommendations (US based tirerack would be too much of a hassle for me) that'd be cool too.

I have a quote for the OEM wheels with Michelins and they are $$$$. Would like to get a set of 3rd party alloys I can just thrash in the winter time. Not a lot of snow/salt/ice here but enough to make winter tires a very useful purchase.