Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Which Hondas have the glass automatic transmissions to be avoided?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

97-04 V6 models. As late as an 05 depending who you listen to, and as early as 95 on some models. :iiam:

The automatics behind the 4 cylinder were usually fine, as long as they saw some form of maintenance.

Oof. Okay. So CR-V's should generally be ok? Looking for something like that, maybe an Accord wagon.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

Hey car nerds. After giving my girlfriend some driving lessons in my manual trans 2009 Hyundai Accent, it's been buzzing occasionally. Never while in neutral, and generally only around 2.5k+ rpm or so in any gear, though it goes in and out. It's got about 70k miles and I've not changed the trans fluid to my knowledge. How much should I worry?

Is it a rattle-y buzz? Sounds like an exhaust heat shield to me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ashton posted:

Here's a stupid question that will hopefully give me some peace of mind...
I live in central PA, and we just had that apocalyptic snowstorm pass through. 30 inches of snow! I have a 2011 Nissan Sentra and the plastic paneling underneath the car is a bit cracked, and I guess the blizzard-condition winds blew these 30 inches of snow up underneath the paneling and filled my entire engine compartment with snow.

When I dug it out on Sunday, I started it up - just fine - and I backed it out of the snowdrift that had built around it, then immediately shut it off.
The next morning I went to start it to go to work and it'll turn over but won't actually start, and that's when I popped the hood and found the winter wonderland underneath. There hasn't been any additional winds or accumulation since Saturday, so whatever snow was in there has been in there since I first got it started and moved it about 10 feet.

So, I've had the hood up during the day yesterday and today in hopes that the sun will melt me out, but being completely ignorant of automotive technology, I'm paranoid that I've shorted something out by starting it that one time, or that it's going to be damaged by all the water melting out of it and possibly refreezing overnight, and I'm scared my car is hosed. Because of this, I haven't tried to start it since yesterday.

How should I proceed here?

How old is your battery? Sounds more to me like the cold combined with starting it without giving it time to charge back up killed your battery. Try jumping it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I have a 2005, it's definitely obvious if its a MPH or KPH car. Besides the speedo, the temp gauge has degree numbering instead of L/H, and the fuel gauge has a O for empty and a filled in O for full.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Pontiac GTO of that era could actually be manually switched between km and miles because they didn't bother printing both scales, maybe they pulled the same poo poo on the Vibe?

If it were actually a GM product maybe, but its just a rebadged Matrix.

opengl fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 28, 2016

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I have a KPH car with numbers on the temp but E/F on the fuel gauge soo?

A Vibe?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

My clutch pedal stop sort of looks like a CO2 canister, and it screws into a plate and the end of it stops the pedals upward travel. The other end has wires plugging into it, what exactly do those wires do? Some sort of sensor to see if the clutch is engaged? 2007 Civic Si

Probably for the clutch safety switch, so you have to depress the clutch pedal to start the car.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Well I'm thinking about buying an intrepid and modifying it. So far I've researched that theyve got a 2.7l and a 3.5 but no v8, so if theres no supercharging kits out there, then I probably won't buy one. A na v6 isnt exciting enough

I wh

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

jackpot posted:

Any other car I've owned I would've been fine with that, but how in christ do you buy an aftermarket to replace this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120997342/Metra-99-7342-Dash-Kit.html?tp=3121

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think the full warranty length transfers beyond the initial owner, though.

Only if its a CPO.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:doh: I completely forgot about that light. Forgetting features about my own car! ...because I never use them, but still. The only cabin lights I remembered were the ones at the front which are strictly toggle on/off.

Yep, the light turns on when the switch is in the middle position and any door except the driver's door is open. And yeah, no beeping for the key in the ignition either. Good to know about the switch, and thanks for the advice!

I'm guessing the part I'm looking for is a "door jamb switch"? Are these generic parts where I just need to roughly match what's already there, or is it important that I get a specific replacement?

This looks like your guy: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2003,civic,1.3l+l4+electric/gas,1409879,electrical-switch+&+relay,door+jamb+switch,4360

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I know that's a recipe for kaboom city from my MS3 days. Sixth was reserved for highway speeds over 60-65.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I mean cruising along in sixth is fine, but I'd definitely downshift before attempting any kind of large throttle inputs.

Also this could not be an issue at all on the ST, again just speaking for the DISI in the MS3/6.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

rscott posted:

This is less of a stupid question and more of a stupid answer or a PSA: remember to put your car in park when you go to change the battery otherwise you will have a pretty hard time figuring out why your car will not turn over! No idea why I left it in gear but it took me a solid 2 hours to notice

I still do this sometimes, just because I drive autos and manuals regularly and am in the habit of leaving the manuals in gear when parked.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

If you're selling, let the buyer run a Carfax if they want to.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

scuz posted:

Last time I had to order anything off of gmpartsdirect.com it went pretty well. Needed a replacement fuel injection spider for a 4.3L Vortec and it was exactly the thing, arrived in tact and speedily.

Pretty sure most of those sites drop ship from the same place anyway.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I did a dumb stupid thing.

On vacation in the UK with a diesel Vauxhall Astra. Gauge was at about a quarter full. Dumped in around 15 liters of unleaded (Why is the god damned handle green like diesel is in the states!?) before noticing, then topping off with about 15l of diesel. Carried on because gently caress it we have places to be and it ain't my car. Hesitated a fair bit under load for a while, drove around 100 miles then managed to squeeze another 10l of diesel in. Ran better after this. Still hesitated under high load/gear but nothing awful. Stopped two more times and put 5l of diesel in each time. The car's running almost normal now. Drove about 250 miles now since it happened.

Bullet dodged? Gonna explode tomorrow? We still have lots of driving to do.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Gray Stormy posted:

I didn't think this warranted it's own thread: I replaced the passenger side view mirror a few weeks back on my wife's 07 Jetta(Wolfsburg if it matters) without any issues. Fast forward a week or so to yesterday, when I replaced the drivers side view.

Everything went smoothly until I put everything back together. Now I have no function out of any of the buttons on the door: windows, locks, gas cap, all of it is dead.

If I have the headlights on, and half press the button for the passenger side window, then the buttons will at least light up. They still don't function though.

Speakers in the door still work just fine, which is only frustrating me more.

Things I've done:
Disconnected and reconnected everything a few times
Left battery disconnected overnight
Visually inspected all of the cockpit fuses
Capacitive discharge
Inspected wires and harness in between the door and body

I'm stumped. What else is there?

Reminds me of this one I just watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rFfoBw-Tfs

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Started the beater (05 Vibe) today and it was much loud than usual. Crawled around under it and the exhaust is broken before the muffler connection. Looked up some diagrams and its part of the resonator pipe, looks like this:

Here's the whole system, it's the middle piece, 281-849

The pipe is broken at that flange at the back, right at the joint. Is this something an exhaust shop could repair, or should I order the replacement? I can get it for $70ish. The rest of the exhaust is in really good shape, I think the OE pipe is stainless.

opengl fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 15, 2017

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah it's a pretty clean split straight around the pipe. Really no rot whatsoever.

I did check all the hangers and everything else looks good.

Read something about it being stainless online, but who knows what that dude was talking about.

e: here's an actual picture of the split

double edit: looking at the picture I know why it split. last year that heat shield you see behind it came loose and was banging on the exhaust for a while until I zip tied it back out of the way. must have weakened the joint.

opengl fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 15, 2017

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Got it, thanks all. Will swing by the local exhaust shop after work Monday.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Yeah it's a pretty clean split straight around the pipe. Really no rot whatsoever.

I did check all the hangers and everything else looks good.

Read something about it being stainless online, but who knows what that dude was talking about.

e: here's an actual picture of the split

double edit: looking at the picture I know why it split. last year that heat shield you see behind it came loose and was banging on the exhaust for a while until I zip tied it back out of the way. must have weakened the joint.

Went to the nice looking place near work and they quoted $150 to cut out the flange and weld in a new pipe in it's place. lol no.

Gonna swing by the dumpy looking muffler place a little farther away and see what they say.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Wickerman posted:

Just get a slightly larger ID piece from NAPA and two ubolt clamps, then cut the flange off and fit that pipe in there. Probably... 25 bucks?

E: 25 bucks if you own a grinder and a cutting wheel already

Huh. That's so obvious I'm embarassed I didn't think of it. For some reason I had it in my head I needed to buy that whole pipe I linked earlier to make this repair.

I do have an angle grinder and the finest HF death wheels which I assume would do a good enough job for the cuts. I'll see what the second shop says and if it's any more than $50 I'll attempt this myself. I guess I can't make it any worse.

e: even easier: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

opengl fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 18, 2017

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lolllll the second shop wanted $250. the hell.

Gonna cut off the flange and clamp a new pipe over it. Just need to find the right size.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Final exhaust leak update. It's been nearly 100 degrees all week so I haven't been arsed to fix it. Went to the off road shop that always has muddy jeeps out front, they fixed it up for $60.

Sweet sweet silence.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AcidRonin posted:

I've got a 2014 WRX. I'm going to be away for about a month and a half and I'm curious what I should do if anything for it before I leave. It's garage kept so weather won't be an issue but theirs nowhere for me to plug a battery tender in. My wife can't drive stick but she could certainly start it, and if necessary I could find a trusted person to come drive my car around the block every so often if that's a good idea. I have also read about not using the parking break due to the pads fusing, so should I chalk the tires? Also what about tire flatspots?

Don't start it if it's not going to be driven long enough to get the oil up to temperature, it does more harm than good.

Month and a half it'll honestly be fine. Pull the battery and put it on a tender if you want.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Twiggles posted:

The stats:
2004 Toyota Solara SE 4cyl automatic transmission.

Problem is as follows. Driving on the freeway- all power dies, check engine light comes on naturally, engine is still running, however accelerating does nothing much. Brings overall RPM to about 2000 when flooring it. Pulled over. Turned car off, waited a minute or two, turned back on. Drives like normal- got back on freeway. When I hit freeway speed problem repeats. Get off freeway, seem to be able to drive ok at speeds of 30-40mph. Take surface streets with no problem. Eventually have to get back on Freeway. I add a bit of gas to my car just in case that's the issue, then resume driving. Get on the freeway, no problems. Get to my exit, as I'm pulling into my driveway, hear a thump, problem repeats. Thankfully at idle speed, can get to my house and get parked. Further development, when I shift car into reverse to back into my garage, a rather loud and discomforting bang occurs. Does not repeat when I shift back to drive, then back to reverse again. Drives at idle speed in drive and reverse both. One final note. When I would have the car parked but running, when this problem was occurring it would idle at about 1000rpm, then pulse up to 1500 at a steady rate, and back down.

Car in reasonably good shape, 131000 miles. Only real internal work done was replacement of throttle body a few years back. No issues since.

Thanks ahead of time.

Check transmission fluid level, and pull the codes. Definitely sounds transmission related though.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Washer sprayer issues

I was just watching this tonight, sounds similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdx2TW78PNA

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I know when I went from 18" summers to 16" winters with my MS3 it completely ruined the handling in terms of sharpness and initial turn in. Super mushy feeling.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CornHolio posted:

So the cold weather is moving in quickly and I have a place to store my 944, an old K-mart that is a car warehouse now. When I park it for 4-5 months, is it better to: keep the battery in there, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, or pull the entire battery out and bring it home?

I plan on stopping by every now and then to start it and let it run for a little bit, if I'm allowed. I'm paying extra to be in the front row so I can take it out as I want, so I can stop by and drive it whenever. I'll know more what kind of place this is on Saturday, but it's in an old K-mart so I imagine it's heated.

edit: if it matters, it's a pretty new battery.

Don't start it unless you're going to drive it long enough to get the oil up to temperature (at least 20 minutes). You're just doing more harm than good.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ready to do some third hand diagnosing? Ugh. Wife's 2013 Elantra, 1.8 auto, 55k miles. She said while waiting at a light it starting shaking violently like it wanted to stall, and make a squealing noise. The shaking went on for a few minutes until the light changed, then she drove the rest of the way without much issue.

There's also almost always been a tapping noise from the engine, sounds like a noisy lifter to me. It's worse in the cold, but it seemed pretty common with these engines when I did some research, and when the engine warms up it would mostly go away. That noise is much louder now. Increases with RPM. Looking this up just has a bunch of people getting new engines.

It's under the 100k warranty still, and we're taking it in next week. The belt noise was the weirdest thing to me. When I had it running with the hood open all the belts sound normal with and without the a/c on now. She was not running the defogger when it happened.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TheOrange posted:

Also, still getting used to the new car but is getting sub-city mileage pretty much expected for a hilly region where I'm mostly putting in 2-3 miles daily? Last fill up clocked it at sub-20 as opposed to the 21 it has rated. Not a huge deal one way or another as I was accounting for spending more on gas but wondering if there's some key detail I'm forgetting here.

2-3 miles a day is nowhere near enough time to get it up to temperature, so yeah, your mileage is gonna be poo poo. You should make an attempt to at least weekly drive it for 20 minutes or more to get the oil up to temperature if you care about the longevity of your engine.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

opengl128 posted:

Ready to do some third hand diagnosing? Ugh. Wife's 2013 Elantra, 1.8 auto, 55k miles. She said while waiting at a light it starting shaking violently like it wanted to stall, and make a squealing noise. The shaking went on for a few minutes until the light changed, then she drove the rest of the way without much issue.

There's also almost always been a tapping noise from the engine, sounds like a noisy lifter to me. It's worse in the cold, but it seemed pretty common with these engines when I did some research, and when the engine warms up it would mostly go away. That noise is much louder now. Increases with RPM. Looking this up just has a bunch of people getting new engines.

It's under the 100k warranty still, and we're taking it in next week. The belt noise was the weirdest thing to me. When I had it running with the hood open all the belts sound normal with and without the a/c on now. She was not running the defogger when it happened.

Heard back from the dealer yesterday. The first call I got from a clueless service woman was trying to blame my aftermarket oil filter. She said they don't fit as well and can move around and the oil can go to different places and cause issues. :what:. Went back and forth 10 times before I asked to speak to somebody else as nicely as I could manage. Second guy at least sounded like he knew what he was talking about, initially said it might just be normal GDI noise, but I explained I know what GDI sounds like and this sure as poo poo ain't that. He admittedly didn't even look at the car himself yet, so he said he'd go check it out with another tech.

Got a call a few hours later, yup, getting a new engine under warranty. Looks like the 12-14's had some kind of manufacturing defect. Details are scant, but whatever. They did ask for my oil change records, which I do myself but thank god I keep the receipts from oil and filters and keep a log of the date and mileage when I change the oil. They submitted the claim and will let me know once an adjuster comes out. I really hope they don't give me a hard time over the oil change records.

e: found the TSB: https://static.superservice.com/content/pdfs/HYW/bulletin/CA/14-20-002%20%20UD%20Engine%20Knocking%20%20V2.pdf

opengl fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 15, 2018

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

melon cat posted:

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing. All of these little things breaking is going to lead up to something bigger. I'm really considering selling this car by summer's end. I don't want to deal with its future problems.

I'm definitely going to try and talk my wife into selling her 2013 after we get it back from the warranty engine replacement. Just don't have confidence it'll be reliable in the long term.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I honestly can't remember what coolant I used for the MS3. I think I might've just cheaped out and gone with the green "all brands" Prestone.

Pretty sure mine had pink stuff in it, I think the Zerex Asian would be the one to use.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

The one on my Roadmaster is pretty moist. They pop?

Hell, it just moved up the list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZZht5dfwE4&t=64s

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Don't buy it. They have an engine flaw, they were manufactured incorrectly and the engine eats itself. My wife's 2013 Elantra has been sitting at the dealer for 2 months waiting for an engine, and they said it'll likely be mid-July if we're lucky before it arrives. That's how backordered they are from so many making GBS threads themselves.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2011-2016-elantra-sedan-coupe/612233-canadians-engine-block-replacement-advice.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2011-2016-elantra-sedan-coupe/620282-hyundai-told-me-i-need-my-engine-replaced-new-ones-any-better.html

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/md-2011-2016-elantra-sedan-coupe/380657-2012-elantra-engine-problem.html

e: TSB:

opengl fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 2, 2018

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Action Man posted:

Quick question:
2005 Camry V6. ~210,000 miles

I'm hearing this sound like rushing water coming from behind the dash, like right behind the steering wheel. It happens when turning the car on after sitting for a little or hitting the accelerator after the car's been stopped for a minute or so. It happens in Drive or Neutral, the car doesn't have to move to produce the sound.

For a while I almost thought it was leaves stuck in the air intake or something it almost sounds like that, but I've ruled that out. Anyone have experience with anything like that?

My wife's old 99 Camry did the same exact thing you're describing, it was air in the coolant system.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Colonel J posted:

I bought a 2010 Corolla, quite happy with it so far but the aux input is non functional. Basically the CD/aux button does nothing at all.

Can I just replace the button? Any tip for me? Alternately I was looking at replacing the whole thing with one of these:

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Android-MP5-U...e8AAOSwBkRZ5r6D

Anybody ever tried one? Are they reliable? Thanks.

It's not the button.

I remember my mom's Prius of the same-ish age being really fiddly about the aux input. I had to hold down the button and press it a bunch and unplug and replug the aux cable and eventually it came to life and has worked normally since. Something to try anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Colonel J posted:

Thanks, you've inspired me to fiddle with it some more and it wasn't the button.

The aux input is loose and the radio does that dumb thing where it switches out of aux if the wire is disconnected. It always thinks it's disconnected because it's loose so it won't let me switch to aux, but if I hold the connector yanked upwards it works.

Looks easy enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD9ja1Cg0XE

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-86190-02010-Adapter-Assembly/dp/B00FPV8JUC

You can probably find it cheaper, google for Toyota 86190-02010