Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I finally bought new springs, struts etc for my car and am going to assemble them tonight, (probably in like half hour or so) and if I'm feeling frisky, I might install.

Two questions:

1. Should I put something between the rubber-metal mating surfaces? Silicone spray lube? Dry graphite lube?

2. The Haynes manual (sorry guys its all I've got) lists in the procedure to mark the struts and steering knuckles so that you can put them back "close" to what they were, but thats for their procedure, which is basically take apart, put back together. I'm going to get an alignment done ASAP after this, but it might not be till Monday and I've got poo poo to do in the mean time. Is there any way to put it back together close enough that I won't gently caress things up too badly if I have to wait a few days?

Car is an '09 Corolla. As far as I know the only adjustments are Toe, which won't change since I'm not loving with tie rods, and Camber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just replaced springs and struts last night. Holy gently caress what a nightmare. 7:30 pm - 4:30 am. But nothing fell off the car and the alignment went well this afternoon.
The only hiccup was having to cut the swaybar end links at the front because I stripped poo poo. New end links are already on the way from cockauto.

Questions: Should I retorque the suspension bolts after X km?

Aside from a bunch of anti-seize, is there anything else I can do to keep the swaybay link bolts from getting seized the gently caress up?
I was thinking of after tightening them down, I would put a bunch of silicone over the nuts/exposed threads to keep moisture out..... Waste of time?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Had to cut off my swaybar end links last week when I was changing my springs/struts etc. New ones are on order. How do I torque them correctly? They've got a nut and the threaded part, which is the ball and socket type thingy, has an allen head on the end of it. The only thing I can think of is to get an adapter down to 3/8" drive on my torque wrench and then get a 7mm allen head socket to turn the stud while holding the nut steady with a wrench, but that seems like a sure way to strip the allen head part of the stud, ensuring that I'll need to order new links yet again, should I ever have to take them off for whatever reason.

So, what the goon should I do fucks?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Breakfast Feud posted:

Have you had a look at the appropriate torque specs in the manual/online? A quick google shows the range is generally between 25-47 ft lbs. I did the end links on my first car before I really knew/cared about torque specs and I applied liberal amounts of loctite and used a big ol' ratchet till she was gutenteit.

Yeah, I don't recall offhand what they are, but not that tight. I was thinking of doing what a previous goon suggested and trying to get the right torque by feel, or maybe just taking my milwaukee impact driver and just tightening the bolts that way. I don't want to use loctite, *just in case* I ever need to remove them, I don't woant to have to use a torch to remove them if I loctite that poo poo.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

To add a bit to that, the DOT, as mentioned doesn't approve anything, it just sets out regulations that manufacturers are expected to adhere to. But they don't actually test poo poo, approve anything or otherwise tell you (a manufacturer) "yes this is approved".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Autoexec.bat posted:

Only in the last decade? :v:

Seriously though from what I hear about the current CEO of Chrysler and his cost cutting if you want one I would lease it too.

I've always though it hilarious that in the 90s the most reliable cars with a Chrysler badge were actually made by Mitsubishi.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ExecuDork posted:

True, but the road is covered in snow often enough during the winter that having good winter tires on can be a literal life-saver. I had more than one night-time drive doing 50km/h on the 401, trying to stay in the tracks of a bus or a big transport truck and not get sideswiped by lunatics going faster than me nor rear-end cowards going slower than me (everybody else is bad, my speed is obviously exactly correct). Without winter tires those drives would have been impossible - and one of them was driving home to Waterloo from Pearson after being away for two weeks, I was eager to get home and I'm not smart enough to find a motel in Milton under those circumstances.

Milton is pretty awful anyway....
I agree though, I was at my brother's place in London on Boxing day about 5 or 6 years ago, and had to Drive to my parent's place in Niagara Falls. Snow storm blew up and the 401, 403, QEW were covered. I saw plenty of snow plows going the other way, but the direction I was traveling appeared to be devoid of them. Though realistically, they were probably just way the gently caress ahead of me, and the hundred other cars that were in front of me. Even so, the highway was still covered.

Glad I had my snow tires on, and they were actually pretty crappy (general altimax arctic).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

spog posted:

Bloody good tyres...

Yeah, those north Atlantic storms can be a real motherfucker. Trip took about 3 and a half hours.
I was planning to stop in Paris on the way, but those French bastards can be real cunts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Godholio posted:

How is that an 11+ hr flight?

Edit: My last transatlantic took 11 hrs and it went from Germany to Oklahoma.

British made plane. They need a bit of coaxing to get going sometimes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ExecuDork posted:

I had a set of studded General Altimax Arctics for my BMW when I lived in Saskatchewan and they were the best tires I've ever driven on. :colbert:

And snow tire != winter tire. Altimax Arctics are winter tires.

I know, I use the term (improperly) interchangeably. They probably would be good with studs, but they're forbidden in Southern Ontario, and imho, suck without them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

How bad is it to weld a sway bar? I already know the answer to that: don't do it.
But its not like in the middle of the bar or something. Its at the end. The hole where the stud for the end link goes through has a crack. I really don't want it to break and I sure as gently caress don't want to replace the fuckin thing.

I'm sure the bar has some sort of voodoo heat treatment to make it flexy and whatnot so I obviously don't want to gently caress it up, but I figure if I use a die grinder to grind out the crack a bit to get better penetration on the weld, and then weld it a bit, let it cool right the gently caress down, weld it again and so on then maybe it wouldn't be so bad? I'd eventually have to grind it again to make the weld flush, not to mention get rid of slag (flux core) but I could use a file to keep it from getting hot and hopefully not gently caress poo poo up.

Bad idea?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CornHolio posted:

So the cold weather is moving in quickly and I have a place to store my 944, an old K-mart that is a car warehouse now. When I park it for 4-5 months, is it better to: keep the battery in there, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, or pull the entire battery out and bring it home?

I plan on stopping by every now and then to start it and let it run for a little bit, if I'm allowed. I'm paying extra to be in the front row so I can take it out as I want, so I can stop by and drive it whenever. I'll know more what kind of place this is on Saturday, but it's in an old K-mart so I imagine it's heated.

edit: if it matters, it's a pretty new battery.

Do you have use of power? If so, you could probably either leave a trickle charger on it or stop by every couple months and put a regular charger on it for two hours or so.

If you're going to stop by and run it every now and then (assuming you're allowed to) then I wouldn't even worry about taking the battery out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CornHolio posted:

I don't know if I'll have an outlet yet. I don't know if I want to leave my trickle charger there, though. Seems like it'd be pretty easy to steal.

Would it be better to leave it in the car, disconnected, or should I have it in my garage on my trickle charger? I just don't want to do any damage to the battery.

Yeah, I guess if you leave it in, disconnecting the negative probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Even poo poo like the clock draws a bit of power.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CornHolio posted:

hah, the clock is one of the few things in this car that would draw power that I can think of, and it doesn't work. Still... would the battery maintain its charge over, say, four months if it's disconnected?

They can sit on the shelf for months before being sold, so I'd say if it was fully charged before hand, the water was full (if its not a maint. free battery), and in a heated garage, yes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

rdb posted:

Perhaps it sucked it all through the PCV and burned it or maybe the leak only shows up while its under load at an RPM above idle with oil sloshing around.

The man makes a good point. I haven't been following your quest, but have you checked out the air intake? Old Chrysler 2.2l engines were notorious for the everything rings going out and spraying oil in to the intakes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

cigaw posted:

2014 Hyundai Accent, ~38k miles

Couple of quick question on changing brake rotors, specifically about the two bolts that hold the caliper assembly in place (not the two that attach the piston to the caliper).

1. They are a bitch to get out. When reassembling, is using anti-seize in the hopes of making any future maintenance easier a good idea or a bad one since you really don't want those bolts even thinking of vibrating off?

2. Any idea what they should be torqued to upon reassembly?

Thanks!

Use anti seize. I usually run my caliper bolts back in with my cordless impact driver. Tighten them down, slowly then just a half second of holding the trigger down all the way. Your results may vary....

There should be a torque spec for those bolts, but you'd need a shop manual for that. Haynes manual usually has (mostly) correct torque specs in there.

Keep in mind that anti-seize will throw that off. Like say if you use anti-seize and then torque to whatever spec, the anti-seize will act as a lube and they will actually be tighter than what your torque wrench tells you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

cigaw posted:

Cool, thanks for the replies!

The Haynes Accent manual only spans 1986-2009. I've been waiting for an update, but no luck so far.

If I were to use anti-seize and tighten with a torque wrench, is there a rule of thumb to adjust the torque settings and end up withing the 60-75 ftlb range?

Am I down/overplaying the safety issue here?

There may be, but I am not aware of it. It would probably depend on if you're using copper or lead anti-seize, how much you use etc.

Holy poo poo are they really supposed to be 60-75 ft lbs? The lug nuts on my old car had to be torqued to about 80 or so IIRC.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Skreemer posted:

I have a 2012 F-150 FX4 3.5 V6 ecoboost with 65K miles on it. I've changed tires from the old version of the BFG T/A KO tires to the new version T/A KO2, I hear and feel (in the pedal) a slight whirring noise when driving. Is there a definitive way to test if it's the tires or a wheel bearing or something else with limited tools/space?

I am almost positive the new tread block and sidewall design is what's causing the noise, but I want to be sure it wasn't something I was simply not noticing/ignoring previously and only noticed now because I was paying attention to the new tire performance.

If you jack up each wheel, and try to wiggle them, you might be able to find some play. Or you can try rotating the tires. Mine got rotated a few months back, there was a noise coming from the front driver's side. I changed the two front tires around, it went away.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

2001 ford ranger Mazda b3000 automatic.

Probably needs an alternator. I charged the battery, started it, volt meter across the terminals and it was slowly drawing down.
Unplugged the two terminals and unbolted the cable off the back, connections look clean.
Is there any way to further test the alternator? Can I put volt meter or test light on the cable terminal at the back, and measure output or anything?
Or is this a case for gently caress it, new alternator?

Battery is brand loving new.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 17, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

0toShifty posted:

What sort of voltage did you measure?

Most batteries will sit between 12.3v and 12.7v. If you just charged it it'll be higher - this is called a surface charge. Turn the headlights on for a minute with the engine off to bleed it off and measure again.

Most alternators will put out above 13.5v to 14.5v DC with the engine running. If it measures okay, turn on all the loads you can think of, heater, lights, etc. Make sure the voltage doesn't dip below 13.

You can test the diodes easily with a voltmeter too. Put the meter in AC volts, put the + lead on the alternators big + terminal, and the black on ground. You should be measuring less than 0.5v, ideally less. Anything more means diode problems.

11 point something. The truck has been sitting for a few weeks, I've been keeping the battery topped up about once a week, including two days ago. so it wasn't right at 12 point whatever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

HelloSailorSign posted:

I've got a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT with 18" wheels.

I'm looking to get new tires, but I don't have any clue what I should or shouldn't be looking for and everything always says it's the best. I have little knowledge of cars and their maintenance but follow standard service protocols with the dealer.

I don't live where there's snow or ice any significant (at all?) time of the year, but I do go camping where it does snow. Occasionally we'll be camping when there's at most a foot or so on the ground, but I'm not driving over it, just on the cleared roads and other roads related to state park camping sites. Probably driving about 10,000 miles a year, primarily city roads and highway. I would like the tires to be okay with the occasional gravel road journey. I have no idea if any of this is relevant.

How old are the tires you've got? If you didn't have any problems, you could just get the same ones.
Take a look at Tire rack, discount tire etc. and read reviews. Even if you don't buy tires from there, the reviews are valuable.
Check your tire size, it should be on a sticker inside the driver's door jamb. It'll have a number like P 205 75 R18 or similar. That same number should be on thje sidewall of your tire as well. Don't get too concerned if the number isn't EXACTLY the same. The first number could be 215 or maybe 195 on your actual tire. A minor variance in width isn't a huge concern.

Check out tires in that size on tire rack/discount tire for review. I'm a snow tire nazi myself, but if you only camp in snow for a few days or whatever, and the rest of the time you're in mild climes, all seasons should be fine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Re-sealing a hydraulic motor. We seem to have run out of O ring lube. I usually use it on seals that have to be (gently) tapped in to place.
Since brake fluid is pretty much hydraulic fluid, can I use that as a substitute? I've got some of that lying around from changing a brake caliper a few months ago.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

What about the cable? How about the clamp?

Could it be the oil pan gasket?
Like you're driving, and the oil kinda sloshes to the back, sides etc as you corner and accelerate?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Whats the deal with Jalopnik vs AI?
I see people posting links every now and then and being all "I know its juhlupnich, but check this out" or whatever.
I get their articles in my email, and while occasionally there is one that is kinda crappy or boring I usually learn something, or at least get entertained for 15 minutes or so.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

Welp, after replacing the RMS and lower intake manifold gaskets, my truck still leaks oil. I hate this truck. 1988 F150 5L.

What is even left for oil to leak out like this? It still looks like it's coming out the back of the engine, but I'm not sure because it's dark now and I spilled a little oil filling it up. I'm almost certain that it has leaked out more oil than what I spilled. I need to give it a good wipe down in the morning and run it again.

You think there could be a crack in the block back there somewhere? Are there any oil passages in the back of the block?

Un-related, long shot etc....... But the hydraulic hammer on one of my machines had to be replaced last year (for 20 loving thousand dollars) and one of the issues we brought it in to look at, was a mysterious hydraulic oil leak that only happened when the hammer was activated. The rest of the time it didn't exist. When it was taken apart, the crack was obvious, but in the mean time, when it was all together, and hammer not being used (its bad to dry fire the hammer) there was no leak.

If I'm not mistaken, the 5.0 blocks have been known to break in half. So a crack thats not leading to the inside of a cylinder, coolant passage might not be unheard of.

I know, I know, super long shot etc....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DogonCrook posted:

An oil galley plug might have given out or sucked in. Theres one below the distributor im pretty sure

I think the ford small blocks had the distributor on the front.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Autoexec.bat posted:

Any tips for removing a stubborn roll pin? I'm trying to replace the steering rack in my Turismo but all of the joints from the column to the rack are connected with slightly rusty and very hard roll pins. The pins are in a difficult to reach spot and I've been unable to get a good swing at any of them with a hammer. Drilling may be possible but it's in a super annoying spot.

Hopefully the proper sized punch? If not available, I've *heard* that you can get a self tapping screw, screw that poo poo in there and hope that it doesn't break off while you try to pull it out with a claw hammer.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

09 corolla. Wipers crapped out on me yesterday morning. Sat all day at work, and when I got in the car, they worked fine, "tested" them multiple times on the way home and no problems. This morning, again, went to clear the windshield and they crapped out. Lately, they've been giving me a bit of trouble. with working, but i've just had to hit the switch a couple times to get them moving. Until now.

I know that in past winters, due to laziness, I've turned the wipers on, when there was a bit too much snow/ice on the glass, and when they didn't move, I'd get out and brush/scrape as the case may be. While the car was still running, and the wipers still trying to move (even though the switch was off). This is obviously hard on the motor.

Soooo..... Is there a way to test a motor to see if its failing? Like too much/not enough resistance across the electrical terminals or some poo poo? I guess I'd have to know how much was normal resistance before I could tell what was too much/not enough first.

What say you goons?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Godholio posted:

Apply power directly to it. If it works, it works and your problem is probably the switch. If it doesn't work, well, there you go.

I was going to do that, had it not worked this morning, but it did. An intermittent problem thus far.

Breakfast Feud posted:

Check your fuses first. Then it should be easy enough to use a multimeter and check if the wiper motor is getting power. Could just be a bad switch.

Fuses should be good if they weren't then the wipers wouldn't work at all, and thus far they work sometimes and not others.
My brother suggested I check relays. I might switch one with another and see if the problem persists, (or something else stops working intermittently).

I hope its not the switch, it would probably be difficult to pull apart the steering column.

Last night after I got in the car, I turned the key on and they moved on their own, without even my hitting the switch. I'll assume thats from when I kept hitting the switch in the morning. But that only kinda helps. Could the relay have gotten stuck in the closed position? Meaning (slim chance probably) that the relay is hosed?

Thanks goony goons:V

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Godholio posted:

Actually it's almost certainly dead simple. Maybe a couple of screws for the plastic cover, probably just "snap-tite" construction. The switch is probably attached with ~4 screws plus the plug.

I hope thats all it is, though I did replace the motor anyway. There appeared to be no relay for the wipers. I also checked on some Toyota forums, and a few people have had to replaced the motor, but not the switch.
Also, I got my brother to pick up a new motor at the junkyard the other day, (and deliver it to my job site) and he didn't even take money for it. Said it was my birthday present. Hell yeah! Thanks bro!

Now, I guess we'll see if the problem persists......

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

I'll be driving round trip from Atlanta to Buffalo, NY next weekend. This will be my first road trip in winter with my 2008 Prius. The front tires were replaced a few thousand miles ago, the back tires are still good, and I have a full extra wheel and tire in case of a flat courtesy of the junkyard. The oil was changed with Mobil 1 Extended Performance even more recently along with the coolant and filters. Any other prep I should do?

In addition to what was listed previously, you might consider some extra warm clothing (wool socks, gloves hat), to keep in the car, small folding snow shovel, and some food.

Buffalo can get totally crushed with snow.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

My 1988 Ford F150 302 still idles like crap. It's been sitting in my driveway for an entire year now as I've been fixing all the leaks, plural. I finally got the really bad oil leak fixed, but it still idles like crap. It surges from 800-1000 RPM while sitting in my driveway and even worse when out on the road, often dropping low enough to die. Now I know I have old gas in it, but I'm still not sure that it's the cause of my bad idle. The front tank was at 1/4 tank so I filled it up at the pump, but the back tank is still at 1/2 tank of year old gas. My problem happens with either tank. So either my gas was so bad 1/4 a tank can taint 3/4 a tank of new gas, or I got another problem.

Over the past year, I've done a tune-up: new plugs, cables, distributor cap and rotor. I've also done the IACV and a new pigtail for it, along with half of vacuum lines. The original ones kinda snapped and/or tore when it got really cold 2 weeks ago... The big vac lines are all new and clamped, the original 1/16" hard vinyl ones are all that's left that's original.

So where's my bad idle coming from?

Lack of fuel? Does the fuel pressure change depending on engine speed/load? Like more throttle increases fuel pressure, and it can shove more fuel through an obstruction in the line?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kid sinister posted:

How do I check fuel pressure? I saw a tiny extra cap on top of the fuel rail. I assume I get a gauge that attaches to it?

Hey wait a minute, I thought the vacuum nipple on top of the regulator(?) on the fuel rail exit looked crooked when I went to replace it's vacuum line. It was a hard vinyl line that snapped in the cold. Did I gently caress it up when I swapped out the injectors? Could it be that simple?

edit: Yep, I pulled up a picture of a new Motorcraft one and the vacuum nipple on mine is definitely cockeyed.

Yeah, thats probably a fitting where you can attach a pressure gauge and check what you're getting. I didn't know it was EFI, which means its probably got electric pump(s). I was figuring a lovely mechanical pump might be (one of)the culprit(s).
THat being said its probably a good idea to check regardless. Electric pumps can get lovely too.
Local chain parts store probably loans out fuel pressure gauges.

Get new filters too. Four years old, regardless of miles is pretty old for the main filter, and the other two, unless they're brand new, or close to brand new, change them bitches too.

Just for the hell of it, check fuel pressure before you change them, and then after.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 26, 2017

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Anybody remember what happened to Cars & Parts Magazine? My dad had a subscription to it back in the early to mid 90s. It was a mag, that was just old restored antiques and survivors. No hot rods, resto mods (that I remember) or any of that. Just straight up old cars. I guess its probably not published anymore, but anyone remember when they stopped? Why they stopped etc?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Update to my windshield wiper problem.
Changed the motor a few weeks ago. Everything is normal and its been way colder than it was when it was happening.

Something weird, but not really a problem perse. More just something interesting.

Its cold as gently caress, when I start my car, I shove the clutch in a few times, throw the poo poo in neutral and starts car. When I let clutch out, the car wants to lurch forward a little bit. Only happens when its freezing as gently caress out (gear oil a lot thicker obv.). Yesterday, I was sitting at a light not too long after leaving my place. The lane I was in had a bit of an incline, and with the clutch out and car in neutral, the car was sitting in place, but when I put the clutch in, the car started to roll back slightly, let off the pedal and the car would stop moving.

I think I get the idea of why its happening, cold, really thick gear oil, and the internals are sort of getting turned in the right direction (via thick rear end oil) to hold the car in place, or move it forward.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Is there some sort of "scientific" type explanation for this? Aside from thick oil = ........Uhhhh Something?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Whats a good dump in the tank combustion chamber cleaner?
Friend's mom, thinks her car is starting to run kinda lovely (don't know the exact details) and has been putting higher octane gas in her tank to help compensate.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Geoj posted:

The bolded part is just going to make things worse. Higher octane fuel is actually harder to burn, and unless the car in question has some form of forced induction (turbo/supercharging) or higher than normal compression the car will run poorly on mid or premium grade. Basically, if it doesn't say "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY" on the fuel gauge and/or cap the car isn't designed for it.

She needs to pump regular gas before running any kind of cleaner through the tank.

I know, Carbon deposits create hotspots that cause preignition. Higher (but not necessarily premium) octane fuel will help with that. But yeah, thats a bandaid solution at best. Close the wound, don't just keep mopping up the blood.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

totalnewbie posted:

No, higher octane fuel protects against knock because it is less likely to autoignite due to compression. Preignition due to hot spots are an entirely beast and octane rating doesn't really help against it.

I won't argue, since it still is along the lines of what I know/believe.
That being said, please science me on the last sentence.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

totalnewbie posted:

. But in short, if your car isn't designed to take advantage of higher octane fuel, you're not going to get the benefits from it. And definitely not enough to offset the cost of premium over regular.

Word, I always (or almost always) knew that, but your other post was quite informative as well.

Does it sometimes have to do with carbon deposits also raising compression slightly? Or would you need like an eighth inch of carbon on the piston top to make a difference?

Do regular fuels typically have the same detergents etc that used to only (apparently) come in premium fuel?

Anecdotal story:
Working a a garage just out of high school (summer of '98) car comes in and it was running like poo poo. Early 90s Buick with... 3.1 or maybe 3.3.
Many things were tried to get it to run good. Last thing was to run about 6 cans of combustion chamber cleaner through the engine from a vacuum line directly in to the intake manifold, and thus through the engine in short order, obviously speeding up the process compared to running the same poo poo through six tanks of fuel.

There was smoke like a motherfucker, but once it was all over, the car ran WAAAAYYY the gently caress better. The mechanic mentioned that "thats why, every so often you should run a tank of premium through the car". His reasoning was detergents and whatnot that clean up carbon etc.

Though I didn't necessarily know it at the time, the higher octane, more resistant to ignition would the detergents make a difference? or would the "lesser burn" offset the effects of any detergents in the fuel?

What says the goons on this subject?

This is why I love AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Have you tried putting it in neutral when its idling low to see if that helps? Like maybe the torque convertor is locking up (it probably didn't have a lock up convertor in 88?) or otherwise hosed?