Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Lycus posted:

With these post-BB black and white scenes, I wonder if Gilligan is going to resist telling us what happens with Jesse.

My gut feeling (nothing to base it on at all) is the longer the show goes on, the more likely it is we see post-Breaking Bad stuff. So in my own mind, it's a good sign that it's already been picked up for a second season.

It seems to me that with master lawyer Saul being out there, resenting what his life has become, and Jesse needing to escape the law, there's a story to tell there.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Zythrst posted:

Uh how would that work, they don't where each other are or if they are even alive. Best bet for Jesse is in the pre BB part of the show, since he did know Saul before.

Uh, I don't know how it would work, that's why it's a potential story. Jesse just being tracked down by the cops a few weeks after the shootout and getting the blame for everything that happened at Jack's ranch seems like a really anticlimactic end for him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Cnut the Great posted:

I guess it's not the sob story of the millennium, but Jimmy's more in the right than Walt ever was. And we don't really know exactly much HH&M is paying Chuck, or on what kind of schedule. It's probably not enough to allow him to live comfortably for the rest of his life in that big house, especially with his mental illness. And yeah, Jimmy is probably looking forward to some of that wealth trickling down to him. I never said he was a saint.

Actually, we do know. $875 a week, he said as much. He got a check for $875 from one of the Hamlins and said "there'll be one of those every week." That's definitely going to let him live in that house without power and keeping some in the bank, but not wealthy, and certainly a lot less than the annual salary and bonus he'd be drawing as a partner (though that part's fair, he's not doing any work).

However, in the long run the firm would almost certainly need to buy out his shares upon death. Partnership is usually not transferrable, so they'd need to buy the shares so the money can be distributed through his estate. Jimmy probably doesn't want to wait that long though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

dex_sda posted:

I like Saul in this. I like that's he's noble enough to risk his life for literal strangers who sold him out at a moment's notice even though he's clearly a bit of a sleaze even now. Odenkirk is killin' it

I always thought Saul was one of the more honorable/likable characters. Yeah he's helping to run this criminal enterprise, but there were several situations where he could have skipped town with Walt's money or Jesse's money and he always seemed determined to make sure they got what belonged to them, even when he was first going to switch identities. He also did seem legitimately shocked when he found out about Brock.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 11, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Unzip and Attack posted:

Sorry, had to quote this.

drat phone posting :argh:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That doesn't match up with his perceived extreme pain at being so near a cellphone, though. It's very clearly "electromagnetic hypersensitivity."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

snodig posted:

Scariest part about Todd for me is that he felt believable. Every other bad guy in the series was a bit cartoonish but this guy was a legit sociopath.

Tuco might seem cartoonish, but the actor based the character on a lot of gang activity he apparently saw firsthand as a kid in LA including a dude on a PCP frenzy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So is his brother? scared of electricity or something more specific?

This should go at the top and bottom of every single page in the thread.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Javid posted:

Mike doing regular PI and cleaning stuff on the side for extra cash isn't exactly the most outrageous plot point on either show.

It does seem that his job with Gus would probably require his full attention though.

That being said, if he had extra time available, I'm sure he'd like to do extra stuff on the side being that he has to provide for his granddaughter because of reasons, and because she'll never be able to have a job herself apparently.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Xoidanor posted:

Presumably it's a 700 dollar check written out to his own law firm so the amount is before expenses, benefits, company taxes and income tax.

:eng101: Since he has no employees, there will be no company taxes. Sole proprietorship income is just reported as personal income even if you have an LLC.

$700 per case theoretically could be good for him to live on as long as he got 4-5 cases finished per month, but A) he's supporting Chuck and B) he probably has crippling law school debt as it's clear he went to law school a little later in life.

Also C) maybe he only gets one case some months. The montage made him look really busy but who knows how much time that's supposed to be.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

RJWaters2 posted:

But what about his dapper English secretary? and his round-the-clock office painters?

Independent contractors paid via 1099 :colbert:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Wow, I thought he was supposed to be a ~35-year-old manchild, which I could have believed (and thus makes Chuck's 50ish appearance spot on as well).

That also would have explained why he was such a loser nobody in his early-to-mid 40s.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It wasn't so much a falling out as a grudge he nursed for years/decades while acting like he could let bygones be bygones (except to Hector Salamanca).

quote:

Gus's thing didn't go in full swing until he met Walt. He was on the cartel's good side and probably had their muscle do the musclin' when it was necessary. Mike was probably just a pro for hire whose most professional customer was Gus, which is why he gravitated to full time work as Walt began loving everyone's life up.

This kind of doesn't match up with what was said when he was detained by the police though:

quote:

It seems, uh, Fring had all these secret offshore accounts that he would deposit money into-- Like, uh, well, an even dozen of them-- And they're all in the names of certain people on his payroll.
There was the, uh-- The manager of the laundry, um, a couple guys from the Pollos distribution center.
There was the owner of a chemical warehouse, a bunch of others.
You know, guys that must've been getting paid off the books.
Anyway, one of the names was Kaylee Ehrmantraut.
Ten years old and just cute as a button.
Yeah.
Two million and change we found on deposit for her.
Way more than anybody else.

He's clearly supposed to have been doing a lot of stuff for Gus for a long time. It's a plot hole but whatever.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 18, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Before Gus made his superlab, the cartel produced meth and Gus distributed it with his restaurant supply chain. His game was to start producing a superior product and cut his supplier (the cartel) out of the whole business.

That's why he formed that chemistry scholarship in his dead partner's name, to find a chemist who would be good enough(and loyal enough) that he could once again be the supplier and not just the distributor.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Duggler posted:

Maybe Mike is a vigilante at this point and he is hunting Nacho and is going to use Saul to hunt him down.

The evidence I have for this is

What if Nacho is really Combo before he ate a lot of combos?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Supercar Gautier posted:

Breaking Bad was a very device-based show. There's certain macguffins that you just have to take for granted work as intended (ie, lots of plot points hinge on things like Gus' omniscience and Walt's Perfect Meth, neither of which make much realistic sense).The disappearer is one such device; if you have the money, you can have The Perfect Getaway, and never be caught. If the disappearer didn't really do a perfect job hiding Saul and Walt, it undermines how that device figures into the story. So I don't think cartel thugs are going to bust down Cinnabon Gene's door.

However, the disappearer told Walt he shouldn't show his face in public or he'd be caught, and Saul's out there in a crowded shopping mall every day, so there's some cognitive dissonance there.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

hailthefish posted:

We don't have anything suggesting Saul Goodman was a wanted man, and certainly not to the degree that Walt was.

If he's not wanted, why would he be in hiding? He's definitely heard at this point that Jack and Walt are dead.

Yes Walt was known nationally, but it's not like there's zero chance someone from Albuquerque would end up at that mall in Omaha. It just seems dumb to me that his disappearer would set him up with a job where so many people could see him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know this whole loving the old people thing is an act but its amazing how much better and more sympathetic a person Jimmy is than Walt.

He always has been IMO. He didn't give up Jesse to Mike under threat of broken legs, he made sure Jesse and Mike got their money when he was about to skip town, and he legitimately seemed horrified with what Walt did to Brock. Walt would've given no fucks about any of that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It would if a few episodes/a season later the guy's getting sued by parents for marketing an indecent product to children.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't believe that and even if it was true, she ain't 4 right now.

Was juat watching Madrigal the other day, Hank says "10 years old and cute as a button."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare: Why did she not look or act 10 years old at any point throughout that series then?

Who knows, how does Walt not get caught after running over the dealersdealers, it's TV

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mike owns

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

NowonSA posted:

Seemed like a solid plan to me, I could even see season 1 or 2 Walt falling for it.

Jimmy was so close to having an actual British lady receptionist :qq:. I felt for him too, he doesn't even manage a high-rise office as Saul.

I think as Saul, when he was making 5% of 80 million on top of plenty of other business(enough to have his face on "every billboard in town"), that was entirely due to his personal branding as an everyman.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

SwissCM posted:

Y'know, if anything, McGill's endgame is much sadder than Walt's was. McGill is a genuinely good, kind person, while Walt from the very start was a bit of an rear end in a top hat. Watching McGill twist into Saul is gonna suck :(

Saul still had more of a moral compass than Walt. He tried to tell Walt he was done with him after he poisoned Brock, and by walking away from Walt he'd be walking away from a lot of money.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It really is a shame that they had to change the name of that one episode. Going to look really weird when all 9 episodes end in O except that one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Takes No Damage posted:

Wiki says they're hovering in the mid two millions per episode, don't know how good that is for a cable show. At least we're getting at least another thirteen episodes in season two, bought and paid for afaik.

It's doing at least as well as Breaking Bad ever did until the final 8 episodes, when they hyped up the ending to the story and ratings went through the roof. Unless something changes I doubt season 2 will be the end of BCS.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

No Wave posted:

I guess I don't really understand how he was supposed to afford what looks like $7k/month offices with no business, or how he was supposed to match Kim's salary with no business, or how loving over Kim's career forever was supposed to make her like him more, especially because she already likes him.

I don't think $30k would even come close to paying for the renovation, so I'm sort of lost as to what the fantasy scenario would even look like.

Yeah he really needed probably a quarter of a million to renovate that place, put down a deposit and have a few months' rent and utilities on hand, and hire a paralegal and a secretary. Also I thought the 30k was spent getting the billboard and suits so I'm not really sure what the deal was there.

Probably falls under "it's a television show don't think about it."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't see how that's a problem. Hey, free pizza.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Why is Chuck such a lovely brother?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Chuck is probably the worst brother ever.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GamingHyena posted:

The worst part for me is that Jimmy was going legit (as Chuck should have known considering he was helping him with his legal work.) Elder law isn't exciting work, but it's honest work and Jimmy was helping his clients legitimately.

Yeah but he went to a lovely school therefore he's not human :saddowns:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Keep in mind people, Hamlin is still a dickhead. He threw Kim down into the cornfield and plainly told her he doesn't care about her opinion just now. He just doesn't outright hate Jimmy.

The first part is true but the latter part was him trying to keep up the front. If he didn't care about her opinion he wouldn't have asked her to wait and close the door (and he certainly told her about Chuck making him not hire Jimmy).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Hamlin's definitely still a big douche (hamlindigo, I mean Jesus Christ) but holy poo poo he seems like so much less of an actual BAD guy now and I think that's an incredibly unexpected twist. Like Chuck had to call him because he thought Hamlin actually would hire Jimmy, and I DO think there's actually a decent chance Hamlin might've gone for it if chuck wasn't opposed. Probably would've treated Jimmy like crap but still. I like how in retrospect his flipout on Kim was less about spite for jimmy and more just frustration over losing the case. He straight up struggles to justify not hiring him even on his own, like he almost slips in the meeting when he says "the partners decided," and has to save himself and act like he's speaking for Chuck.
idk just like he totally wouldn't have been thrilled to hire Jimmy with his shoddy degree, but I think he definitely would've thought the case was worth it.

There's no chance about it, if you bring a case worth tens of millions to a firm of HHM's size they'd make you a junior partner.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Digiwizzard posted:

The thing about Chuck's tirade is that it's just like Mrs. Kettleman's "You're the sort of lawyer that guilty people hire." line. It's dumb and insulting but also completely right. Chuck is obviously doing this because his own identity is put into question if even his gently caress up brother for whom he secretly harbours immense contempt can make it as a lawyer, but he also knows the shape of Jimmy's character and can tell he's going to take shortcuts that don't just make a mockery of the legal system but puts people in danger. Saul isn't just a criminal lawyer, he's a criminal lawyer. Saul is a living parody of everything Chuck wants to believe he is, just seeing his brother sitting in that strip mall office in front of the oversized constitution would probably be enough to brain zap him into permanent catatonia.

I mean yeah, it's a self fufilling prophecy but Saul poisons a loving kid.

Saul never poisoned Brock and when he finds out that Walt poisoned him, he tries to walk away from Walt as a client - a client worth thousands and potentially millions. Of all the things to bring up to say he's a bad guy, that's not one.

All he did was take the ricin cigarette from Jesse, Walt somehow got the berries to Brock. They never go into how or when, but you can tell that Brock's seen him before the couple times they meet afterwards.

And the things he does later are irrelevant. Here he's been very legitimate and trying to do the right thing the whole season (warning the Kettlemans, not abandoning those skateboarding douches to be skinned alive, etc.) and if he had a well-paying job at a big law firm there's no reason to think he wouldn't keep on the straight and narrow.

quote:

No poo poo, and I'm sure Walt would have lived happily ever after if he stopped cooking after the first million/accepted that buyout deal/hadn't left that book in the toilet, but the point is that with the benefit of hindsight Chuck is entirely and tragically correct. Jimmy can't reform into a straight and narrow lawyer, this season has documented him trying his hardest and even working completely independently he's already slipping.

It's entirely possible that Chuck's correct because he drives Jimmy to that. This is a big case that's supposed to make someone's career and Chuck is flat out denying him that because he's a selfish dick. What recourse is he leaving him? Will finding a second career-defining case get Chuck to change his mind? If not, Jimmy has to just turn to what avenues he has left if he doesn't want to die in a boiler room.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 31, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You know, it makes the scene and the betrayal a lot less poignant if Chuck's right. It's most tragic if he's what drives him to be Saul instead of a legitimate lawyer, especially after everything Jimmy's done for Chuck. So I'm pretty sure the viewer is not supposed to agree with Chuck.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's what paralegals are for!

edit: regarding getting stuff for Chuck, that is.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sulman posted:

Tucco was pushing it; even he was played a lot lighter than BB, though.

That made perfect story sense though, because Tuco in Breaking Bad was hopped up on meth the whole time and he and his crew aren't really into that yet..

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

ArmZ posted:

plz post a notice in this thread when they start selling u. American Samoa shirts.

e: oh wait http://www.bettercallsaulstore.com/

This owns, ordering now.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You may be right, I'm sure most people have a better recollection than I do, I was quite young when it first aired and only saw a couple episodes again later. I thought The Lone Gunmen made good bit characters, but I don't think the show knew what to do with them in a starring role. I mean, maybe that was due to the lack of faith by the creators but they could have just been legit lost.

Personally I found a couple of the X-Files episodes that focused on them exclusively to be kind of misses, especially the one that featured Byers creeping on some lady really hard. I never saw them as characters that could carry a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I know it's a big decision, but I feel like it's a little weak of an ending to the season and a little rushed. Overall still a great show.

• Locked thread