Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't mind seeing more ancillary characters but god drat do I really hope Cranston and Paul stay the hell away from this show, as well as the rest of the White family. If you really want that you care more about silly gimmicks than good storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Last Chance posted:

I bet Hamlin could continue enabling Chuck's delusion and help him get food and stuff.

Yeah I'm sure Hamlin will go get a bunch of stuff for Chuck.

I wonder if Hamlin's preferred plan for a hired Jimmy would have been for him to hit the other nursing homes? You could see him working magic already with the whole Matlock thing, and he seemed to genuinely enjoy it. The man does not belong in the cornfield going through a document dump, that's a sad waste of talent.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 1, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
That's what paralegals are for!

edit: regarding getting stuff for Chuck, that is.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Last Chance posted:

They are not going more than two seasons without the show coming into its namesake. Toxxing myself right now.

Since the series starts off 6 years before BB and Saul obviously has a well run ambulance-chacing practice by the time he appears in BB, I could definitely see that. I'm hoping that some of the last episodes of BCS having Badger being a minor B-story case.

Bown posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing more ancillary characters but god drat do I really hope Cranston and Paul stay the hell away from this show, as well as the rest of the White family. If you really want that you care more about silly gimmicks than good storytelling.

I agree and iirc Jesse only knows of Saul because of Badger telling him about this cool lawyer that got him out of serving jail time. At MOST if they decide to bring either of those characters in they should be something like WW driving past in an Aztec while Saul is in a parking lot or Badger saying "Thanks, Saul" outside of the courthouse and then as he and Saul walk in different directions the camera stays on Bob Odenkirk talking on his cell phone while an out of focus Badger walks over to his pal Jesse and high fiving him or something.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 1, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Yeah I'm sure Hamlin will go get a bunch of stuff for Chuck.

Why not? It's well within his means to hire someone to deliver stuff to Chuck or accomodate him. We've already seen the effort he made to shut down the electricity in the entire firm for Chuck. Not to mention wanting to give Chuck a stipend in the very first episode.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Doltos posted:

Just watched the episode. I think Chuck's got a reasonable point. He's like super duper into this whole law business and Jimmy is just in it for a quick buck and to prove himself. Makes me think that Jimmy can succeed anywhere and he's just following in his brother's shadow too much without really understanding the gravity of being a legitimate lawyer.

Family would have come out and say that to begin with though instead of sabotaging your every move like a total rear end in a top hat

I thought it was an interesting - and true - look at the dynamics of these relationships. Chuck hasn't had the courage to recognise his brother is a bigger person than he is, instead clinging to the supposed nobility of his profession (a terrific lawyer jibe if ever there was one).

Chuck bailed Jimmy out once, and Jimmy was smart enough to at least recognise the value of that lesson. Jimmy - via hundreds of hours of care - quite possibly saved chuck's mental health and career, and got his lawyer ticket in the process.

The betrayal was really quite painful.

Also, for the first time, I don't think Hamlin is the bad guy at all. I don't even think he dislikes Jimmy.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

That's what paralegals are for!

edit: regarding getting stuff for Chuck, that is.

nah paralegals are billed out to the client. runners/mail room do that poo poo.

these 9 eps of better call saul are superior to any season of breaking bad. weaving in breaking bad at levels greater than what has already been done would hurt the show. oblique refs like tuco are fine but anything else would be gimmicky at this point. bcs shouldn't turn into creating and exploring every aspect of a nerd universe. it is and should be a good story with good characterization that stands on its own.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I agree it's a considerable improvement over what was already a good show. I think most of the characters are a lot more rounded, too.

I hope the creators resist the temptation to work too many BB references in; Tucco was pushing it; even he was played a lot lighter than BB, though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sulman posted:

Tucco was pushing it; even he was played a lot lighter than BB, though.

That made perfect story sense though, because Tuco in Breaking Bad was hopped up on meth the whole time and he and his crew aren't really into that yet..

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Twist: Bryan Cranston does appear in an episode, but as Hal from Malcolm in the Middle.

The whole White family will show up, Jimmy will go to a fast food place and they'll just be in the background having lunch

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"a fast food place"

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Sulman posted:

Also, for the first time, I don't think Hamlin is the bad guy at all. I don't even think he dislikes Jimmy.

The scene in the conference room is brilliant, Hamlin just looks resigned. I don't think he dislikes Jimmy that much, maybe a little with the billboard stunt. But like Jimmy, he would have been willing to put any differences aside to work this case.

As far as BB, I don't mind if later in the run of BCS, we get into the Heisenburg era. We can see events from Saul's perspective, or not even that, just how those events in BB are affecting the rest of Saul's work. We need to see Saul's fall in BCS, we should not have to be referenced to another show. It will also help show Jimmy compass. What happens after Saul tries to leave Walt the first time? Does he try to make amends with people? Does he try to do something to ease his conscience?

Also, airline class action suit, that would be perfect BCS arc.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well you may be right about him proving himself but I have no goddamn idea how you got "in it for a quick buck". Is it because he wants to make money and be successful in this profession he's invested time and money into for years?

The first few episodes were literally about him trying to hustle a woman by having the twins jump in front of her minivan. That's the definition of a quick buck. Plus his history is all about making money in quick spurts by faking injuries. That was the Jimmy Chuck saw when he wanted him to stay down in the mail room, and the one we saw gradually evolve into the Jimmy we know now. Chuck still sees old Jimmy and isn't privvy to all the good poo poo Jimmy does now because he doesn't have the omnipotent eye of the TV viewer.

errad
May 31, 2013

Doltos posted:

The first few episodes were literally about him trying to hustle a woman by having the twins jump in front of her minivan. That's the definition of a quick buck. Plus his history is all about making money in quick spurts by faking injuries. That was the Jimmy Chuck saw when he wanted him to stay down in the mail room, and the one we saw gradually evolve into the Jimmy we know now. Chuck still sees old Jimmy and isn't privvy to all the good poo poo Jimmy does now because he doesn't have the omnipotent eye of the TV viewer.

I really don't think it's so much about Chuck actually believing that Jimmy is dangerous or even bad. Jimmy took care of Chuck and has been compassionate and caring for who knows how long - that's enough for Chuck to know that Jimmy has a good heart. It's completely about Chuck's ego and being the better person, in control.

Edit: And working in a mail room, getting a law degree, and taking a bar exam is NOT the behavior of someone looking for a quick buck. Chuck was aware of that much, at least.

Edit 2: Go Land Crabs!

Edit 3: And once Chuck realized that Jimmy could put in the work and better himself, that's when Chuck's ego was threatened.

errad fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 1, 2015

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

plz post a notice in this thread when they start selling u. American Samoa shirts.

e: oh wait http://www.bettercallsaulstore.com/

ArmedZombie fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 1, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doltos posted:

The first few episodes were literally about him trying to hustle a woman by having the twins jump in front of her minivan. That's the definition of a quick buck.
Well, "quick" might not be the right term. He was trying to use the two brothers to gain Mrs. Kettleman's trust so he could legitimately represent their clusterfuck of a case. If the plan had succeeded, Jimmy would have been presumably putting in a lot of legitimate work into the case.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Part of me agrees that they have AMC by the balls and that AMC would be crazy not to renew it since they don't really have anything else once MM and WD end . . . but never underestimate the stupidity of network execs.

Plus, the Saul story is constrained by BB. Vince & Co are smart in that they will walk away once they think a story is done. Since we are headed towards a known point for both of the main characters, not just in terms of "what happens" but also how their characters change. The Saul we know from Breaking Bad isn't all that different from the Jimmy we're seeing in Season 1. Likewise, the Mike we see in Season 1 isn't all that different from the Mike we see in BB.

They can do a lot with those characters (as we've already seen) but I don't see it lasting more than 3 seasons without the characters getting stale. We're already getting close to the end of Mike's story.

They can pad out both Mike and Jimmy's stories with random hijinks. That'd be fun to watch but I don't see them going in that direction. It doesn't seem like the show and the characters want that, since it was originally supposed to be a lighter, funnier show. Like BB, there is so much "dark" in "dark comedy" that you may as well just call it "drama".

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I haven't seen anyone else predict this, but I have a feeling the finale will feature Chuck having a huge breakdown, getting committed, and Jimmy becoming his legal guardian. Jimmy will have to decide the right thing to do with Chuck's share at HHM, and how it'll affect both Chuck and Kim (and Hamlin now that he's not the 'bad guy' to Jimmy).

Somehow I think that's more likely than Hamlin schlepping ice, bacon and fuel to Chuck's house.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
The whole Chuck twist was really masterful. Any other show would just make their disagreement an Odd Couple set-up that they drag out for seasons as they get more and more frustrated by each others views. Making Hamlin play the heel for Chuck was a great red herring and it really put everything on the table to set up the rest of the series.

The best part of it is that Chuck really does have a point but he is too vain to just be honest with Jimmy. Part of it is protecting him and sparing his feelings but a lot of it is just anger because Jimmy took a shortcut to try and get where Chuck is now. Pure crab mentality.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

PassTheRemote posted:

The scene in the conference room is brilliant, Hamlin just looks resigned. I don't think he dislikes Jimmy that much, maybe a little with the billboard stunt. But like Jimmy, he would have been willing to put any differences aside to work this case.
Everything Jimmy has said and done to Hamlin is because Chuck made Hamlin play the bad guy, and Hamlin knows that. If Chuck wasn't pushing him Hamlin would probably be fine with giving Jimmy a supply closet office like Kim used to have at the very least.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
“We often think of oppression in terms of tyrants, but it most often comes from the institutions, philosophies and people closest to us.” - Bryant McGill :tinfoil:

icehewk fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 1, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Data Graham posted:

"a fast food place"

I would genuinely love to see at least one quick look at Los Pollos Hermanos.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ArmZ posted:

plz post a notice in this thread when they start selling u. American Samoa shirts.

Some great jokes here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_American_Samoa

quote:

Public institutions:
Two-year institutions:
American Samoa Community College, Mapusaga

That's it, that's the whole list. Not only is the University fictional, there's only one college on the island, and it's a 2 year community college.

Also, on the t-shirt, the logo of the school says "inveniam viam aut faciam" which is latin for "find a way or make one"

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 1, 2015

errad
May 31, 2013

Internet Webguy posted:

The best part of it is that Chuck really does have a point but he is too vain to just be honest with Jimmy. Part of it is protecting him and sparing his feelings but a lot of it is just anger because Jimmy took a shortcut to try and get where Chuck is now. Pure crab mentality.

Chuck doesn't really have a point. Where Jimmy was actually trying to practice law, it seemed like he was being reasonably diligent and competent. I really don't see what shortcut you're referring to (going to law school, getting a law license, drumming up legitimate business, is not a shortcut) - and I don't think his intent was to "get where Chuck is" in terms of prestige but rather just to be viewed as a legitimate lawyer or at least have the respect of Chuck

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

ArmZ posted:

This owns, ordering now.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
People keep going "who knows how long" re: Chuck needing Jimmy to take care of him, but wasn't it made pretty clear early on he'd been disabled for eighteen months?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bown posted:

Well, this is ostensibly a story about Jimmy McGill's rise and downfall, and Walter White and Jesse Pinkman are pretty integral figures in that story, so I don't see how it would be a silly gimmick. Basically, this show has three options if it can't or doesn't want to use them. It can 1) end before Saul meets Walter and Jesse, 2) creatively work around Cranston and Paul's absence, or 3) completely abandon any pretense of taking place in the same universe as Breaking Bad (spoiler: this isn't going to happen).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, this is ostensibly a story about Jimmy McGill's rise and downfall, and Walter White and Jesse Pinkman are pretty integral figures in that story, so I don't see how it would be a silly gimmick. Basically, this show has three options if it can't or doesn't want to use them. It can 1) end before Saul meets Walter and Jesse, 2) creatively work around Cranston and Paul's absence, or 3) completely abandon any pretense of taking place in the same universe as Breaking Bad (spoiler: this isn't going to happen).

Again, I really don't know how they're going to handle the BB timeline. I mean, look at BCS from the point-of-view of someone who hasn't seen BB; if they just glaze over the BB stuff, that would be really weird, and they've gone on record to say that BCS should be able to stand on its own, without having to have seen BB.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Again, I really don't know how they're going to handle the BB timeline. I mean, look at BCS from the point-of-view of someone who hasn't seen BB; if they just glaze over the BB stuff, that would be really weird, and they've gone on record to say that BCS should be able to stand on its own, without having to have seen BB.

The only thing that makes it weird is the fact that they started the series with a flashforward of him working at a Cinnabon in Nebraska. That sort of implies that the show is going to deal with the events that landed him in that position.

Other than that, there's nothing stopping them from ending the show before he ever meets Walter.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Boogaleeboo posted:

Never forget that, criminal misdeeds aside, Saul is a really good lawyer. A lot of what he gets done for folks doesn't involve trickery or law breaking, just a solid grasp of the law and human behavior. Even as Saul he takes his job seriously.
He deliberately fosters the image of a scumball hack lawyer in order to draw in the clientelle he wants, but really the only scumball stuff he does is outside the courtroom, in order to improve his clients' chances.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Tao Jones posted:

It doesn't seem like it's in character for a guy to give his brother another chance, get him out of trouble, clean him up, get him an honest job... and then at the first sign of ambition turn into a complete viper who can't even say "gosh, I know how hard the bar was for you, but I have all of these doubts about you doing this thing so fast" and feel him out a little, instead of "TOSS THIS IMPOSTER BACK INTO THE MAIL ROOM WHENCE HE CAME".

That's because Chuck was never really willing to give Jimmy a second chance. He wanted to help Jimmy and straighten him up, but that's not the same thing as pushing him to succeed or trusting him with any actual responsibility. Chuck says as much in his little rant - he helped Jimmy get that job in the mailroom pretty much because it was a deadend position where he could keep an eye on him.

I also get the impression that Chuck is at least a little bit threatened by Jimmy. Complaining about someone succeeding because they took "shortcuts" is the kind of thing that usually comes from a place of insecurity. Jimmy has actual talent and could probably flourish in a place like HHM, which is the last thing Chuck wants to see happen. He wants Jimmy in a position where he doesn't have to worry about him getting in trouble or outshining him.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 1, 2015

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

errad posted:

Chuck doesn't really have a point. Where Jimmy was actually trying to practice law, it seemed like he was being reasonably diligent and competent. I really don't see what shortcut you're referring to (going to law school, getting a law license, drumming up legitimate business, is not a shortcut) - and I don't think his intent was to "get where Chuck is" in terms of prestige but rather just to be viewed as a legitimate lawyer or at least have the respect of Chuck

I mean that Chuck had a point in that judging from Jimmy's past he would not make what Chuck believes is a good lawyer. Sure, he's trying hard now, but I think that since Slippin' Jimmy has shown that he has a passive relationship with legality issues and Chuck believes that people can't fundamentally change his reasoning is fairly solid.

I agree that Jimmy by no means believes that he is ever going to be a lawyer of Chuck's caliber, the way he worships him is proof enough of that, but that is exactly what Chuck is afraid of. In Chuck's eyes, Jimmy barely passing the bar at UAS(Go Landcrabs!), stumbling on a huge case and thinking it'll get him an office next to Chuck is basically pissing all over the hard work he had to do to get where he is.

From Chuck's point of view this reasoning is perfectly valid and if he had been honest with Jimmy at the beginning I think Jimmy's admiration of him would be enough to bridge that gap and maybe enough to get Jimmy to work towards a new profession with Chuck's blessing. Rather, Chuck being duplicitous and dishonest has undermined their entire relationship.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Digiwizzard posted:

It should be noted that Chuck's cowardice is so bad that it's pathological. All of that bottled up contempt, jealousy and guilt towards Jimmy is literally driving Chuck insane.

It was a nice touch at the closing scene that he'd been working on spending time outside for his work but when it came to braving the outdoors for his brother, all he could do was wince at the sky and retreat inside.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently, from the podcast:

quote:

Thomas Schnauz and Gilligan spoke on the podcast about the fact that the confrontation between Jimmy and Chuck at the end of the episode could have very well been the season finale, and that the show often drops season-finale-type episodes earlier than the end of the season. They also suggest that next week’s “fun” episode will take Jimmy in “new directions,” which suggests that the finale is less about closure to this season and more about setting up next season. Don’t expect to see “Saul” anytime soon.

from http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/04/better-call-saul-details-2/

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Yes, we're all very smart, now shut up.
\

:D

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Is that actually from the podcast though or is this just some speculation from an entertainment blogger? I mean as soon as Jimmy starts helping criminals hide their indiscretions the dude has basically transition into Saul, even if he isn't going as far or have business cards drawn up.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Is that actually from the podcast though or is this just some speculation from an entertainment blogger? I mean as soon as Jimmy starts helping criminals hide their indiscretions the dude has basically transition into Saul, even if he isn't going as far or have business cards drawn up.

So you're saying he's already Saul :v:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This show is named Better Call Saul. That's blatant false advertising I want my money back

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Der Luftwaffle posted:

It was a nice touch at the closing scene that he'd been working on spending time outside for his work but when it came to braving the outdoors for his brother, all he could do was wince at the sky and retreat inside.

That's a really good observation and I can't believe it didn't click with me until I read your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

This show is named Better Call Saul. That's blatant false advertising I want my money back

Better call Saul

• Locked thread