Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Simplest way to put it is that when Breaking Bad is good, it's the best thing on TV, but when it's not good, it's really slow and boring. Vince Gilligan likes to take his time and sometimes it goes a little far. Hell, I went to do something else during Better Call Saul when we had to wait for two minutes for an old lady to come down the stairs and walk to her couch.

And even though I enjoyed going back and watching season 4, the Marie-goes-to-open-houses subplot was poopy garbage.

Skyler's money laundering adventures were fun though. Still not sure why the internet hates her so much.

You need to change pacing for the action-y parts to matter. Sometimes that means coming to a full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Cimber posted:

Which is why Jimmy takes the Saul persona. Ok Chuck, you think the law is so holy or sacred? I am going to make a loving mockery of everything you hold dear.

It's also he's only recourse at this point. So far everything Jimmy has done has been to get well paying clients and build a real practice. His methods are shady but the end goal has always been to be a real, respectable lawyer like his brother. Of course he got no money and now he just realized he also got no connections. There's really not much he can do.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
"Giselle.... Giselle St. Clair"
And Saul looked sooooo satisfied.

This is a respectably ok show.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Das Boo posted:

I liked Skyler and Hank. Despite their faults and weaknesses, they were both ultimately good people. I dislike Chuck because people who gently caress you over while acting saintly piss me off in real life. That said, I enjoy watching Chuck and think he's very well-written. I don't want him to leave the show because he's a dynamic character and a good source of contention. But I do think he's a prick.

Thus, I am a self-hating woman. v:v:v

nah Hank was a douchebag.. He put Jesse in the hospital over a prank phone call and later he was almost gleeful at the prospect of sending him to his death so he could get Walt. He generally treated criminals with disdain and contemp and basically didn't consider them real people because his self-worth was all wrapped up in being a Tough Good Guy - the badder they are and the harder he is on them the tougher and gooder he is.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Haha a prank call. I've seen it all now

Ok it's not the right term but he's still a self-righteous, arrogant douchebag.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Great Beer posted:

Saul as a character is confident, entertaining, colorful, and frequently the best part of any scene. Jimmy is the opposite. He's unsure of himself and taking baby steps towards criminal lawyer, teasing us with glimpses of the character we knew and loved but taking his time getting there. And that's fine. Gradual character development isn't a bad thing. But he's getting upstaged by mike in his own show and the slow pace isn't helping.

Mike sometimes stealing the show is true. But they have to focus on the journey since once he's Saul, there's not that many places to go with it. We already know Saul - and we know how he "peaks". I think showing Saul in his meth phase would be weird and awkward and just all-round hard to pull off so the Saul we're going to get is the period just before he becomes the lawyer-king of meth. Basically once Saul is Saul the character arch is complete and the show can only go on for so long before it gets tired. They can do a Saul revival in Cinnabonn-wherever-it-is but they have to make that transition in a timely fashion.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I really don't understand what happened to Chuck and Jimmy that contributed to their super idiosyncratic mental health issues. They don't mention much beyond their dad being a nice (if naive) guy. I could understand Chuck's obsession with "rightness" if, say, they had a really unstable home life growing up. But by all accounts they didn't, which just adds to the mystery for me.

Chuck blames Jimmy for the death of their father. I assume there's a general tendency for fires to break out around Jimmy and people getting hurt. At the same time everybody likes Jimmy. He's the charismatic people-person which chuck very much isn't. To Chuck Jimmy is dangerous and literally toxic but no one else can see it and it's NOT RIGHT.

If Chuck is dead Jimmy will indirectly have killed both his father and brother. Not really sure what it will do to Jimmy. Normal people would be wracked with guilt and depression but I guess Jimmy would rationalize it? Slightly concerned that he'll run a scheme that will result in Kim dying but maybe she'll cut and run before her time rolls around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Harold Stassen posted:

What is dead may never die

I can't wait for the next season- what will Chuck do with the tape? I don't think he'll submit it as legal evidence- I think he'll give it to Kim. All we know about Saul and Kim's relationship is that by the time of BB it is nonexistent- there are only two real outcomes; she dies or moves away. That, or after Chuck threatens him, he invokes his mental incompetency thing and has him committed- which could also disgust Kim into severing ties. Can't wait!

Kim already knows he did it so giving the tape to her shouldn't really change anything. nah Chuck is going to try to get Jimmy disbarred.

• Locked thread