Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

uh asking for a friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

they're all good, but 4, 5 & 8 are my favs

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
is 5 the one with the puzzle pieces?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hubris.height posted:

is 5 the one with the puzzle pieces?

5 is the one where you can marry one of three possible wives.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
should i take a japanese vacation JUST to buy the slime ps4... help me out here imps

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

8 on the ps2 owns

dq9 for the ds ain't bad either but they nerfed fun stuff from 8

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

8 on the ps2 owns

dq9 for the ds ain't bad either but they nerfed fun stuff from 8

9 is fun to play dress up with but i wouldn't recommend it as an intro game, it's somewhat lacking the charm of the previous games due to the fact that you just make your own characters and they never say anything.

4, 5 & 6 remakes are on DS as well and would be a much better starting point imo.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
please do not start with the first one

i'm pretty sure the only people who still enjoy playing it are just nostalgic from when the got the cart free from Nintendo Power

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
yeah theyre good

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
9 is bad but the rest are good

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
3, 4, and 8 are my favs. 7 is my favorite too b ut I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you're a psycho gamer

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

welp I'll try and get my hands on the DS ones and perhaps 8... for my friend

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Nihnoz posted:

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

yes

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They're good. Not sure about the spin-offs.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
rocket slime is great

monsters is hit and miss

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

my hypothesis holds true

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Main difference between FF & DQ fans when asked, "What is the best game in the series?"

FF Fan 1: DURRR uewaah, *farts and craps* well obviously # is the best and anyone who says otherwise is a child basically.
FF Fan 2: Yeah, if you like poo poo shoveled into your gaping maw, you're right.

DQ Fan 1: Well I really enjoyed DQ4 for the way it structured each individuals story into one grand adventure with friends.
DQ Fan 2: Not a bad choice at all my man, but I liked DQ5 just a little bit more on account it was one of my first RPGs ever.
DQ Fan 1: I can respect that, oh and DQ8 is loving amazing as well.
DQ Fan 2: True.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i really liked 9, even the weird postgame random dungeon chart thing, but i can see why people don't.

i think 5 is the best of the DS remakes but they're all great

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i would kill a human being in cold blood if they made an hdmake of 8

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

my hypothesis holds true

I hate 9 with a frothing intensity and would declare blood vendetta on somebody if they said it was their favorite.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Nihnoz posted:

I hate 9 with a frothing intensity and would declare blood vendetta on somebody if they said it was their favorite.

its now my favorite :dukedog:

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Swelter Discharge posted:

its now my favorite :dukedog:

I don't think you realize the gravity of a blood vendetta.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the bosses in 6 were the hardest in the series imo, and the final story boss required some serious class grinding to even stand a chance. it was weird and cool to lose multiple boss fights in a DQ game, tho it was probably in large part due to my dancer not listening to commands.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I only liked the ones on Gameboy. (Dragonquest 3 + Monsters 1+2)
9 on DS was kind of bad. 7 I didn't like cus it has a 2 hour intro before you fight even your first slime. It also requires you to scavenger hunt to get to new worlds

8 is hit or miss you either love it or you don't.

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 11, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DQ8 got me into the series, OP. I bought it on a whim for the FFXII demo and it ended up being like my favorite RPG on the PS2, maybe second to Persona 4 but who's counting. It's a great starting place.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
7 is really cool it's just really long. It's the most epic adventure in the universe and it ramps up so slowly that you never see it happen, you just look back and see how far you've gone.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kild posted:

I only liked the ones on Gameboy. (Dragonquest 4 + Monsters 1+2)
9 on DS was kind of bad. 7 I didn't like cus it has a 2 hour intro before you fight even your first slime. It also requires you to scavenger hunt to get to new worlds

i've never heard anyone dislike DQ8?? plus it has the best voice acting in videogames

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nihnoz posted:

7 is really cool it's just really long. It's the most epic adventure in the universe and it ramps up so slowly that you never see it happen, you just look back and see how far you've gone.

I tried replaying it but its a really clunky PS1 game. Hope the 3DS port comes to America.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Kild posted:

I only liked the ones on Gameboy. (Dragonquest 4 + Monsters 1+2)

DQ8 is all hit no miss

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
dragon quest 3 for teh gbc is the only one ive beaten but ive seen the ps2 one get played by a friend and it looks pretty cool idr which it was either 7 8 or 9 ???
https://www.myflare.com/0/io/hotlink/8pvg7rI1EeSwdSICCv5XYw/DDWLIMBO.swf

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i've never heard anyone dislike DQ8?? plus it has the best voice acting in videogames

People who don't care for that stuff and just want big numbers grinding and long sidequests

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

starbarry clock posted:

dragon quest 3 for teh gbc is the only one ive beaten but ive seen the ps2 one get played by a friend and it looks pretty cool idr which it was either 7 8 or 9 ???
https://www.myflare.com/0/io/hotlink/8pvg7rI1EeSwdSICCv5XYw/DDWLIMBO.swf

5 & 8 are on ps2

the ps2 version of 5 looks really good to

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dragon quest 3: amazing, single handled did the class and party system right, searching for your badass dad the dragon killer. Thinking he is dead the whole time and ... Woah

Dragon quest 4: the best in the series imo. Chapter based RPG where all the chapters come together perfectly. Great style. Great music.

Dragon quest 8: the greatest RPG next to SMt3 on PS2. It's win. So much drat win.

Note: I have only played the original nes ones, not the remakes

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

this game owned

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

this game owned

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Swelter Discharge posted:

5 & 8 are on ps2

the ps2 version of 5 looks really good to

Note that you'd have to wrangle a fan translation for 5.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nihnoz posted:

9 is good

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
I don't know OP

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the only bad thing about it is that the dungeons are just corridors but the fights are still good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013
Hmm. Interesting points everyon---ADOLF HITLER hosed MY rear end!!! friend of the family BALLS!!! -e. Lol, sorry. My tourettes is flaring up today :D

• Locked thread