Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
What have you seen that was awesome that didn't turn out on film? And for why?

What does a pitch look like? Do you show up with a trifold foam-core and say "I think the world is ready for Oarfish!". What are the budgets like? Do they say "ok, oarfish, here is half a mil, we need a minimum of 47 minutes of usable oarfish footage" or which? Does your B-roll stuff end up on stock sites? Do you end up buying off stock sites?

Also, you should do a documentary on Saturniids. There doesn't appear to be such a thing, and it would be a sweet topic. Tons of great "The Greatest Scent Tracker In The WORLD!" bullet points, and pretty colors, and unshitty to work with.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

FURY-161 posted:

There's also a recieved wisdom in the business that certain animals simply don't sell - don't bother trying to get a show about birds off the ground, for example. Apparently the audience will capriciously switch channels at the mere hint of feathers and beak.

That is fascinating. Is Sir David the only person with enough juice to get a bird show made then? I'd be really interested in hearing more of what everybody knows about the viewing public and market conditions. Do you have any horrible cliche things that professionals loath, but you gotta put in, because it is what the public demands?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

Nierbo posted:

Why is this thread stickied?

Dunno, I might have fumbled it. Or it might just be the most interesting subject for a non-megathread in ask/tell in a good long while.

• Locked thread