Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
This is a cool thread.

I and my husband and our moms went up to Bella Coola this past summer to get into the wild. We went on a raft (with a guide) down the Atnarko River in northern British Columbia. This is about as isolated as I've ever been. The only way to the area are expensive ferries, float planes, or a scary drive (we took the drive). We were watching for grizzlies and ravens and salmon. We were a tiny bit early, for the salmon typically come back up the river later in the summer or fall, but I had to be home by the end of August. My husband got some video of a grizzly coming upriver, but it didn't get too close to us. It was kind of scary though.

Kudos on working with David Attenborough .

What's the favorite place you've filmed so far, and your favorite animal to film so far (besides the sharks?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

FURY-161 posted:

That's really cool. I've always wanted to go to the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. I'm quite ambivalent about grizzlies - it's clearly quite easy to approach them and get great closeups and behaviour, as Timothy Treadwell proved, but alas he also proved they can have hair-triggers and be leathal the moment you read the signals wrong or become complacent. That's an important thing to remember with wildlife, they exist independently of your preconceptions of them. Which is to say you can experience awe while you're with them, but you also need to constantly aware that these are creatures that oparate on a somewhat mechanistic level, and can very easily hurt you if you don't accept that fact.
I felt safer being with a seasoned biologist and rafting guide who runs grizzly watching tours all the time. I don't think they've ever had any incidents, but they also coach us in being very quiet when we see a grizzly, and not making sudden movements or sounds. The bears are there for the salmon, not for the people! I couldn't recommend this part of the country enough though.

I'm jealous that you got to film in New Zealand. It seems (from LotR) one of the most beautiful places on earth, though honestly having this British Columbia beauty in my back yard, I have no room to want more.

I thought of another question. For the programs and documentaries you've worked on, what is the main point of them? I just wondered if they were more about "oh look at this cute and crazy bird mating dance" or if any of them had the main goal of pointing out rare or critical species/habitat that were in danger due to human activity--more of a precautionary documentary?

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
David Attenborough is so awesome for many reasons. Also, who would you rather listen to on nature documentary: a sweet genuine British guy or a pumped up sensationalized "woo, look at these dangerous sharks" guy? I like the former.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I think anyone with that sense of wonder, like Sagan or Attenborough, is engaging, even though each is a little different than another. I find that over-sensationalized approach that others use as off-putting, but who knows--maybe it sells more or something.

• Locked thread