Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Pretty much anything Asaka has touched directorial wise has been gold, so it'd be weird to assume he wouldn't do good now. He directed CCS, the good Gunslinger Girls, NANA, and what's already been mentioned. He did do Chobits as well, which is a solid adaptation regardless of what you think of the material he was working with. That would be one of the only black marks on his record though and it's not a huge one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

WickedHate posted:

Sci fi military magical girl is an awesome idea that like Mahouka and probably Triage X is horribly wasted on a bad show.

I'm pretty sure you wanted this post to say something. However, you should have proofread this because it reads like the ramblings of a drunk.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

WickedHate posted:

Like I said, Nanoha had potential. They just hosed it up.

I think what you wrote there only makes sense to you as that sentence reads like a nightmare. Let's not gloss over the fact that apparently your calling Triage X a magical girl show, which, it is not. Not in a million years.

Please stop posting while drunk.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'm pretty sure all the people who vote at the Oscars whenever they see a Japanese animation on the ballot think "didn't we give this poo poo an award once? Now they want one again? Fat chance. We gotta promote how good Disney is again."

I was not surprised at what won. Especially considering they snubbed the Lego movie to make sure there wasn't a surefire winner.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
If you liked Highschool of the Dead, Triage X is pretty much that, but even a little bit more titties.

So it's going to own and I'm going to make a thread for it closer to when it's going to air.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sharkopath posted:

Or maybe I'm jealous.

Everybody is.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

I made a thread for My Love Story

Thread title is not clever enough. Please hand in your bear pun av/title now please.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sharkopath posted:

lovely thread titles with puns or whatever suck, just call it the monogatari thread

Well it wasn't even just called that!

Also, puns are great. Highest form of comedy.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Cake Attack posted:

how dare wickedhate like kyoukai no kanata instead of adtrw approved anime like the one with the half-naked 8 year old

The Monogatari series?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

Breaking News: Shakespeare is actually not very good.

I'm being serious. He's famous for being revolutionary, and redefining storytelling. But he is by no means the world's best storyteller, as high school english classes in the US would have you believe.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Shakespeare is actually really good. Henry IV Part One is loving amazing. Sorry poor American education has poisoned your brain.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the thing to remember is that a) like most good writers the thing that makes him great is form, not narrative. shakespeare's verse generally owns and b) the dude was really prolific, so it's perfectly possible to have one person praise him for the soliliquys in hamlet and another person to dump on him for sonnet 145 and both be completely correct

I'm actually going to say that the narrative's themselves are actually mostly good as well, but will probably never live up to being the greatest writer that ever lived for people. I'm studying his history plays right now and some of them are pretty garbage and boring. However, there's really excellent poo poo like Richard III and Henry IV Part One which have a pretty solid narrative, and when you actually start to get into what they're saying (I didn't mean the dialogue, but that is actually a fair barrier as well) it's even better.

Plus a lot of people are either reading, or just watch lovely high school plays probably, and that's a travesty. There is stuff in his works that doesn't read to be funny, but if you saw it staged well could be hilarious. Like in Henry VI Part Two where townspeople keep running between two people because every time they hear a good point they go "Oh wow. Profound!" and run over, and then when the other guy says something they run back saying the same thing pretty much. It doesn't read funny at all, but when you picture it in your head at how people could sell that, the scene becomes amazingly hilarious.

Then there's really boring poo poo like King John or Richard II, and even then it has some interesting and funny stuff in there.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Kamisama Kiss 2 was a pretty great show. It's fun and relaxing to watch.

It doesn't really offer much commentary though because pretty much every episode is "Tomoe frets about relationship with Nanami but doesn't move it forward. Nanami is oblivious and rushes into things. Hijinks ensue". Also they make a bunch of wacky faces every episode as well which is great. KK2 is a solid show and hopefully they do more. I never expected a season 2 in the first place so who knows?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Everything Burrito posted:

I'd love to see another season of it but if you've only watched the anime definitely check out the manga. Nanami is one of my favorite shoujo leads and I love how she is the actual hero of the story and not just some damsel in distress constantly having her love interest come to her rescue. As I posted in the shoujo/josei thread, the anime covers the manga pretty closely but you do miss out on some smaller things and there's a pretty good character who was excluded completely, so if you can manage it I'd suggest reading it from the beginning. However, S2 ends about 3/4 into Volume 11 so you could also jump in at that point fairly easily.

I'll have to check it out, but if the manga is anything like the anime, I'm kinda going to disagree about Nanami not being a damsel in distress. In both seasons there's been plenty of times where she always resorts to just going "Tomoe save me!" and he has to bail her out (like the last two episodes for instance. Nanami got lost in her own memories and the two guys had to help her out, just as an example). However, it's been really good about growing Nanami as a character and her Talismans seems to be working a lot more and she made Mamoru who seems to be able to help out a bit. I was pleasantly surprised that for the Sojobo arc that she was the one to resolve things completely on her own for the most part (until she came up against a big bad beast and had to be saved of course).

So yeah, it does that a bunch, but it's not nearly as bad as some other shows.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Early on that is true and I think the tengu arc is where she starts coming into her own quite a bit. I am also thinking of parts where Nanami gets into poo poo over her head and comes out of it perhaps not entirely due to her own power but is able to meet Tomoe partway vs waiting passively for rescue (when re-reading the manga I thought this came across more clearly than it did in the anime BTW). The stuff in the underworld is a good example of that -- Tomoe got her out in the end, but she got all the way to the exit on her own.

I think a lot of that can be chalked up to the fantasy of being saved by your fox(y) man having to be in there somewhere so he swoops in at the end after Nanami did all the heavy lifting.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think I enjoyed Season 2 a lot more because it definitely did feel like Nanami was actively solving her own problems a lot more.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

The streaming announcement you've all been waiting for is here! CR has picked up Triage X.

I was waiting for this one.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
My Love Story was picked up by Crunchyroll.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Craptacular! posted:

I'm new-ish to the whole "watching anime on a streaming service that actually licensed it" thing, still accustomed to fansubs and a big DVD section at Best Buy.

I think I know why it seems people dislike Funimation: because they're not on a whole bunch of mobile/IPTV devices, the most common way to watch their stuff on a TV appliance is Hulu and they charge for that. But what's their deal with Netflix? I was going to watch something that I figured could only be watched on Hulu the other day, and saw some Funi shows on Netflix that I didn't expect to find there.

It really isn't that. I mean, it's a part of it and they're getting better, but it's really just part of a way bigger problem.

Other Funimation issues: Their player itself sucks way more dick than CR if you use it on other devices than a PC (if a video has to buffer on Funi it will just keep trying to play and then sync back up, which is a problem when your content is subtitled, obviously.

EXTREMELY bad PR/schedule. They'll get something for streaming and once the first episode airs they usually can keep a good schedule, but generally the shows come out whenever they feel like they want to put them out. Nobody cares for poo poo shows, but there was quite a commotion on Twitter last season when everyone wanted to watch Yuri Kuma and Funi had their thumb up their rear end for a good couple of days.

Those are the bigger ones. I could go into the personal problems I've had, but I won't. And they fixed one huge issue they used to have which was no subtitles streaming only option for purchase. It used to be monthly only for around 9-10$ a month.

They're getting better but it's not hard when your model was "be complete rear end" to begin with.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

dogsicle posted:

And whenever Barakamon was airing, they were at least a week delayed if not more, again with no announcement

I know they were late on getting the first episode out and I think they delayed another one, but I don't remember it being constantly late.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

dogsicle posted:

I didn't mean they had a consistent delay, just that the initial episode was heavily delayed (worst I've seen at least).

Ah, sorry. It read like you were claiming all of Barakamon was delayed. You are right, the first episode was heavily delayed. I don't know if it's the worst overall. I know when Funi first started doing simulcasts I think they accidentally leaked a show early (I think it was Fractale, it happened with One Piece as well) and so they had to wait 3 weeks to air more.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

Triage X airs tomorrow, who wants to be the one to regale us with terrible tales of boobs and butts as imagined by aliens?

I own the manga so I definitely am checking it out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Invictus posted:

Man I hope it follows up once they're safe with her punching him in the face for bruising the poo poo out of her boobs with the recoil from that rifle

Nope. She's in bed afterwards because she hurt her back falling out of a jeep, but she does get pissed at tells him off because her tits hurt so much.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
That's the peak of how ridiculous HotD gets and it should be noted that that scene was an anime original so anyone who reads the manga wanting to see that will be super disappointed. However, the series is pretty drat ridiculous already with its T&A and action, so it's not far behind that gif.

The series also has a pretty awesome OP mostly thanks a really good song choice.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Triage X is definitely pushing on the "buy the Blu-Ray" angle.

Do you like tits, guns, and explosions? If so, this show has what you're looking for.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

chumbler posted:

I've been wondering, do the shows like Triage X, HotD, or Highschool DxD air on the Japanese equivalent of like HBO or cinemax or are they on regular broadcast or paid cable, just long after good kids go to bed?

Pretty much all non-aimed at kid anime airs late at night.

When it's the super fanservicey shows, they either just go far enough into fanservice territory where they don't have to censor much (like HotD, it had tons of T&A but very rarely actually fully revealed anything) or they'll show tons of it and just put in a bunch of steam/black (or white) censor areas so you can't see anything and when it's released on BD (or a satellite station like AT-X) you get the show without all the obvious censorship.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Devil Tesla posted:

Sorry, let me rephrase, not everything airing late at night is adult stuff, they put stuff like sports shows and shojo romances there that maybe aren't going for the 4-12s but aren't put there because of any content thing.

Which was pretty much my point? I didn't say it was because of the content itself, but simply the age range. I'm pretty sure the stuff like Sazae-San and Doraemon air during the day because those are aimed strictly for kids. Sports shows and other kinds of shows which may not have any kind of inappropriate content still usually get stuck in the late night simply because that's where all the anime programming ends up.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

everythingWasBees posted:

I wonder what that Triage X show is like.

I'm going to continue watching it,
but I won't lie to people. It's not a good show by any means. It's action schlock and I just like it because I have a weakness for dumb action T&A poo poo at points.

If that's what you're craving, then check it out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I did like how someone on Twitter tried to do a "LOL Triage X has lovely animation" joke not realizing that the scene in question was done that way on purpose.

I find it funny when people try to go out of their way to insult a show.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

Oh god.

What happened.

Did Triage X somehow manage to not be hopeless trash?

:siren: TRIAGE X IS TRASH :siren:

Like, I've said it a bunch of times in this thread. Here's the thing, even if something is trash, it can be enjoyable to watch if it hits the right buttons with you. It's dumb, has people getting into ridiculous fights, and honestly? A pretty decent music selection going for it. It's the same dumb part of my brain that lets me enjoy the Resident Evil movies (Live action) even though I know they're bad movies.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
CR announced they got the Yamada and the Seven Witches anime.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I made a thread for Triage X. I promised I would.

I'll probably make one for Yamada as well, and Punch Line if nobody else does by the second episode.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

glomkettle posted:

BBB was... honestly kind of disappointing. I've only seen the first episode (I know the second is already up, just haven't had a chance to check it out) but I'm just not feeling it. The fights were cool and the animation looked good, but the main character's kind of irritating and the show feels like it's trying way to hard to be a lot more stylish than it actually is. 3 episode test but I'm not holding my breath.

BBB's second episode is more of the same. I like it, but if the first episode didn't do anything for you, there's not much of a chance the second will.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

e: Second episode of Seraph of the End was pretty good. Though it's using a lot of generic tropes, it's doing them all really well and adds enough to stay interesting. Guren is starting to seem like a fun character, and Yu surprisingly doesn't feel all that generic a shounen protagonist.

Not really, it only seems that way because instead of being happy go lucky like major shonen protags are, they just made him angsty and depressed with *OMG no friends!* but by the end of the second episode he's already discovering the power of friendship. It's an entertaining show, but none of it feels unique at all.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches aired today and it's a pretty faithful adaptation for what I remember of the beginning.

I really liked it and the VA's seem to be having fun with the show as well. Will probably make a new thread for it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

How harem-y is it, because I liked Yankee-kun to Megane-chan but really hate harem stuff.

It's very harem-y in the sense that a lot of girls fall for Yamada, but the author play it fairly nicely where even another dude also tends to be a part of it as well.

Later on (this probably won't happen in the anime) Yamada (slight spoiler) Actually gets a girlfriend as well. So while there is a harem. Yamada isn't all that into maintaining it.

It depends how much you hate the harem concept. Do you rage at the sheer thought of it cropping up? Then Yamada probably isn't the show for you. Can you deal with girls crushing on the lead usually played for laughs but he has one girl in mind? Then Yamada is watchable.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I still like the Yamada manga and its been really interesting recently too, now that the author actually brought up the whole "wait, how DID Yamada get his power" question? Which I never really questioned myself until now

I find the characters charming and I love the humour, so I probably give it way more of a pass than most will as far as story goes. It's one series that has just clicked with me and I love it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, the new characters have been hit or miss, but in the last arc the focus has been on an incredibly narrow amount of characters and has been super good IMO.

I'm going to get that Yamada thread started now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Endorph posted:

for real though why is trigger making TV shows out of poo poo like 'girls get naked' and 'uhhhh ninjas...?' and leaving inferno cop and LWA to rot in the sun

You answered your own question.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I own...too much anime. More than I will ever care to admit.

I am trying to remedy that buy buying a lot less these days, and also buying more books and live action movies.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Ninja Slayer is hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Uznare posted:

It's literally inferno cop 2.

I've never seen IC, but I've seen gifs.

If you liked that you will probably like this? It is Inferno Cop 2 animation wise. It's something that I would have expected to have just been thrown onto YouTube.

• Locked thread