Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm very interested in seeing this play out. I always play for fun and never for ranks, so seeing all the thought that has to go into little details is really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Also I've pretty much always had one star in speed/turns taken. Gotta get those supports!

This is what always got me. Max stars in everything but turn counts.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Fire Emblem: Blazing through Lyn Mode

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cookies are good. What kind are they?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

A lot of people think FE5 is easy? I mean, I guess once you've done it a few times maybe that's true, but man, it was a wrecking ball when I played it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Those two join a hell of a lot sooner than Nino and even without the infinite grinding in the game they're pretty easy to get up to par.

I just got Amelia and was impressed with how well she could handle a steel sword Cavalier in her introductory chapter on Difficult. Let her handle him while other units took out other targets and it gave her a nice lead on her class change.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I did Ephraim's route, and some of the reinforcements have steel swords:

She has enough defense and, by the time they spawned, enough speed to not be doubled or killed in one hit, so it was trivial to let one of those guys wail on her while Natasha healed her to full every turn and someone else blocked the way to Natasha. Amelia was too enticing a target for him to go for anyone else, and so while everyone else was handling the rest of the map, she could just train on that guy until pretty much the map was over.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 23, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I didn't say she solo'd it, though I can see how my wording may have been confusing. Still, I didn't need Natasha doing anything else by that point, so it worked out well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Wow. They must have really expected that chapter to be hardcore.

I mean, it still might be, because I have no memory of it by this point, but that's a huge jump in turns allowed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I don't think I ever saw the map you re-recruit Wallace on personally.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

The biggest problem with archers is that their stats suck because IS seems to think avoiding counters is way more powerful then it is.

I never thought about it before, but in Sacred Stones (not sure about other entries in the series) I just noticed iron and steel bows are twice the price of axes of the same varieties. They're the most expensive weapon type to start. WTH?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You know, it's kind of funny: In FE4, Kaga originally meant for Jamka to be an axe user but decided he liked him, so he gave him bows to make him more powerful.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Onmi posted:

Well Kaga also made a bow lord in one of the Saga games.

Going from what I remember of it, part of what saves Holmes in that game is he gets a lot of maps with walls dividing you from attackers and he also has the picklock skill so he can do some thievery on the side, so the map and mission design kind of help him out. He's also pretty drat beefy, learns some significant skills, promotes into swords, and as people mentioned there are several bows that automatically multi-attack (one by x4!), while only one kind of sword, axe or spear does the same (at best by x2). So depending on the map he is getting a lot of counter attacks for significant damage.

Magic is still ludicrous in that game, though. I love the one spellbook that increases the user's defense by 10. This is a game where stats cap in the high teens, low 20s, so out of the gate it more than doubles the character's defense value and lets him survive poo poo that would kill dedicated tanks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah when I tried that fight my first time in Japanese I couldn't read the description on the Dark Orb and moved my best guy over there to kick rear end and, uh...

I liked the "oh god run" battle in FE5 where they sic Galzus on you. The music is great and his stats and skills make is obvious that you will absolutely lose if you step to him. But that fight was already an escape map; he's just the time limit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ama-zing Sain!
How sweet the sound
Of your plus ones to STRENGTH!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I too thought weapon weight was a reasonable balancing mechanic, but it tended to be handled poorly, as with all women seemingly getting unreasonably low values (Are there exceptions? I have FE8 open right now and Amelia has the highest for the ladies with 11 as a General, while Lute has 3 unpromoted; typical lady value seems to be 5). I was a fan of Build (and Capture) in FE5, because it did grow, so you can have a character that becomes good at captures and heavy weapons (while not automatically also being good at damage because strength does double duty).

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 11, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

While weight never did affect accuracy sometimes I wondered if it should because weapons with high weight also tend to have commensurately less accuracy. You could, hypothetically, just have a base accuracy for the to hit formula, and a weapon's weight affects how accurate it is because big heavy poo poo is clumsy to hit with. Then you could introduce bonus accuracy from having more Con/Build than necessary, but that starts to tread on Skill.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Zore posted:

... and serves to gently caress over low con characters even more.

If the heavy weapons were already less accurate....no. It would really just be removing one item from a weapon's stats.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 11, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What is Brave weapons came with a kind of Astra effect where they reduced the damage per hit by some constant? Astra in Awakening is five hits at half-damage, as I recall. A brave Weapon that hits for 2/3s or 3/4s damage would be doable.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Actually, yeah, you're right. I wasn't taking a flat accuracy value for everyone into account, really. The thought was that having heavy weapons also be inaccurate was a bit redundant when the weight of the thing could factored into the to-hit formula, but that thought was discounting constitution's weight reduction. If a higher con character and a lower con character had the same base accuracy, then yeah the guy with higher con gets to keep more of it while using that heavy weapon, thus becoming more accurate. I must have been thinking of things from more of a FE4 perspective where weight couldn't be mitigated. Perhaps reduce accuracy instead of AS and not in addition to?

Alternatively, have the weight penalty to accuracy apply regardless of Con--the difference between a silver and iron sword is three weight, and the accuracy difference is 10. Make the penalty a -3 to hit per point of weight and you even come out ahead of what the game currently does. But just having a base accuracy for a weapon is easier to read before you start an attack, so it makes for faster play.

I like the idea of weight as a balance, but I agree with you that I don't like how it disproportionately punishes certain characters.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 11, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Can you imagine if they tuned the balance so one-rounding was rare? Some maps might drag on for days.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I have no idea. Never played that series. Does that series also put you up against as many as 50 units at once?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is it all enemy phase/counter attacking like FE? I imagine if you couldn't chew through guys at a steady clip it would start to drag unless stuff besides the attack command are a big part of the gameplay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I never understood why Archers in FE11 and 12 have even less movement than Hunters, on top of everything else.

Archers in other games usually have the advantage of much, much better range than other units. I like the FE2 implementation where they can hit stuff from up to five squares away. Anyone hack that into a GBA FE to see how it shakes out in actual play?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Lazy I can see, but why stupid? Seems like a reasonable way to save some work if you just want a lance-wielding Eliwood.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

But do you randomly roll for +1s on level up, or do something like BEXP and have fixed gains?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

He has been blessed in that regard, but Canas is still expected to have 10.5 defense by that level, which about where Dart should be at the same level.

Pent actually ends up being hardier than Canas on average by, like, a point, but Lucius is never expected to hit double digit defense, and Erk normally wouldn't until promoted level 7, though it'll be interesting to see how he turns out with the Drops. I wish you got the Drops earlier, so you could actually use them on a character you like (like Hector :getin:) when everyone's lower level.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Also, Heath left Bern and joined a mercenary company in a different kingdom, while Vaida stayed and joined the Black Fang, who are regarded heroically in her country. Even if she's just fooling herself, she's chosen the option that keeps her nearest what she holds dearest, given her choices.

Not sure how you explain a time limit in this scenario. Maybe Vaida felt the magic from Nergal's buff fading?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Also, the epiphany is on his mother's end; we don't know if she ever reached his father, who wants him dead out of pure jealousy as much as anything. I'm sure that continued.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Here's a question that just occurred to me. If, for whatever reason, you choose not to do a sidequest, does that affect your rating at all?

I've been wondering the same thing. I imagine it hurts the XP score?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Pegasus Knight Minerva.
Hah.

Well she had to practice on something. Wyverns are promoted only in her game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Go Hector with the dragon-slaying.

• Locked thread