Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'll play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
:boom:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm Poku.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I like coding but I'm bad at it. it's why I dropped out of computer science!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Make the DK Crew. and then somebody can be like "I'm the first member! Of! The DK Crew!"

and they could be "bigger faster and stronger too" :aaaaa:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i majored in maths

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I don't remember most of it! but that's okay. i don't need to use imaginary numbers anymore

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it's not a bad argument, diqnol, it's just wrong

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ernie. posted:

it's between somber, grandi and hal

somber's not attempting to get the game rolling or anything, feels like scared scum to me in a small game

hal is eternally scummy to me

and grandi because he's done nothing that makes me go 'grandi's a townbro' yet

is this in response to the vig question or general D1 feelings?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Grandicap posted:

I agree with the diqnol read. Just putting it out there is a good thing. The mills thing is a null tell to me. I read the Poque thing as opposite, I think that response is the scummy one, like he was trying to figure out what to say and "nuh uh" was the best he could do. Poque is my #2, but I have a very low level of confidence there.

I don't really know how to defend against a one-sentence case of "sideliney in jokephase" aside from "nuh uh"

I think Diqnol's posting is a good way to get the game started since everybody is going to inherently be more careful in a game with a significantly smaller mislynch buffer - not to mention the short d1 deadline limit - but it's not a town or scumtell imo. it's easy to see towny motivations, since it's 100% always good to gather reactions from people, but it's also got scummy motivations if he's just trying to throw out a case that is easily waved away by "well I guess not" after the flip. It would be a mislynch that wouldn't implicate him.

i recognize the hedgey-ness of this scenario, it's just impossible to garner alignment-related thoughts around the way the case is presented.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Somberbrero posted:

I wasn't reading Ernie's post within the context of Grandi's question, I realize.

Okay so we both had the same question there it seems. Ernie's inclusion of Hal as it relates to a vig is fine since d1 Hal sucks

nedit: flatline seems more medical, it should be 404'd

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ernie. posted:

general d1 feelings

Oh well then that's weird

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Hal Incandenza posted:

Square root of -1

like as a vig question I would throw Hal out there as a general D1 target because I'm used to his d1 apathy but for general D1 feelings I always appreciate flippancy around questions like "who would you vig" or "if you were scum, who would you pick on your scumteam"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Why grandi? I agree with him re: Ernie, it doesn't seem safe to me

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ernie. posted:

it's between somber, grandi and hal

somber's not attempting to get the game rolling or anything, feels like scared scum to me in a small game

hal is eternally scummy to me

and grandi because he's done nothing that makes me go 'grandi's a townbro' yet

Grandicap posted:

Has anyone done anything to make you go "X is a townbro"?

Throwing hal on this list, especially with this size of this game, for that reason feels like a cop out, like you wanted a list to have 3 people so you made the list have 3 people. Would vote.

I agree with the sentiment of his first sentence, since nobody had really done anything that felt specifically townie at that point. there hadn't really been any semblance of gamechat yet, nobody came across as town. it was (and is) weird to me that you had reads when really only Diqnol had done anything related to the game.

Grandicap posted:

I'd probably sit on it, in a 7 player game a vig is way too unbalancing. Hell, everything is way too unbalancing. We are teetering on a precipice, assuming 2 scum, 5 left would be LYLO, a missed vig turns today into MYLO if we mislynch and a NK goes through. Way way way too dangerous in a game of this size.

this is a very hedgy response though, the answer wasn't "if you had a vig" it was "who would you pick to vig". I don't think anybody expects there to be a vig in a game of 7, that's not the purpose of that exercise. As such I like Somber and Hal's responses.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
and now i realize I was reading posts through preview and they were in reverse order and the grandi vig response happened before you called him out :downs:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I would vote either Ernie or Grandi, preferring Ernie. Somber, what's with the Hal vote?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
would you prefer that i put line breaks between the sentences or something

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mills posted:

Hey Poque. If someone says two players are acting "strange" and "odd" to each other, and then makes no comment on their alignments, and then says he thinks the alignments are town when prodded, what would you think?

Is this a different game? could think they're masons or something idk

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
##vote ernie

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Mills do you really have a problem with me expressing two different thoughts in the same post?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Somber never answered my Hal question. Mills is asking weird questions. Hal never answered or asked any questions. Ernie is making weird conclusions. Grandi answered the vig question weirdly. Diqnol is cool

i don't really care who goes

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hi good afternoon

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Somberbrero posted:

Nope, I'm vanilla!

i wouldn't vote for somber today because this was his initial reaction to Diqnol's fake result. i think he knew it was fake right away, he didn't go any deeper than that until diqnol pressed further with a vote.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

True and Real posted:

Do you think his adamant desire to lynch me over it is townie?

when played against your double-down, yes.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

True and Real posted:

I don't see how it helped scum. That's the more important consideration.

the gambit put somber in a situation where a vanilla claim is a counter, if he's telling the truth it narrows down night kill options for scum if they want to hit a power role

but wifom wank wank wank

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
yeah, there are more ifs that i realized while writing that out

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

True and Real posted:

So, I ask again, does Somber's motivation for voting me really make sense?

the persistence of the vote is odd, but at the time it made sense. this all hinges on whether or not you had considered all of this while making the claim, too

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If somber's truly vanilla then it's quite possible he didn't consider the thought of himself lying as something to even consider in the rebuttal against you.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ernie. posted:

maybe i'm not emphasizing this enough, hal exploited the fact that everyone's votes were scattered all around to ensure that there are two, not one vote-leader, but left his options open to switch to the other one

not in a million years do i expect town hal to do that without actually commenting on at least some of what is being said outside the cases he agreed with

who even plays like this? what are you trying to say about the vote leaders with this?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
oh you're one of the two leaders in question. that introspection is logical

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ernie. posted:

what? why would somber not be vanilla?

if he's scum it'd be the reaction to have

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

True and Real posted:

Mmm. Perhaps. I guess it could barely help scum, then. I think it certainly gave a frame of mind for Somber though, so that helps.

there's enough uncertainty involved with protection that it doesn't ultimately matter if a vanilla is exposed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
this is an all-vanilla game?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i swear byers said something in mafdisc to the contrary but w/e

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
soft-serve claimed

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
wait what, how do these reactions of "all-vanilla" gel with diqnol's gambit at all

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ernie. posted:

everyone knew that you made it up

i'm just curious why part of your gambit involved pointing scum at a potential power-role for targeting?

Ernie. posted:

what? why would somber not be vanilla?

this is not consistent.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
ernie when did you forget your role? at the time of diqnol's gambit or at the time of the game-is-all-vanilla claim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
##unvote i'm trying to piece if this could possibly even be a thing

• Locked thread