Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Pretty much. You got people saying boss fights are videogamey, nobody likes them, they're busy-work, and it all feels like excuses for devs not being able to make good ones.

I really don't understand how that attitude could have even taken hold. Boss fights are like the climax of a game. They are or at least should be the most memorable part. But then I guess trash like "mumblecore" movies have somehow become a real genre.

Maybe this is just the result of too many years of awful bullet sponge bosses, and we need a savior (Platinum) to show everyone the light again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I'm surprised nobody has argued for MMO bossfights here. I haven't played MMO's in like 5-6 years, but they usually had some real thought put into a lot of those fights.
Disclaimer: Speaking mostly from WoW and Rift experience.

Of the few MMOs I've played, it's really only WoW and Tera that have done boss fights semi-decently. WoW actually tried to make them action game boss fights, albeit there's still the issue of heal spam being just an accepted thing, and Tera is basically just Monster Hunter and athat's hard to mess up.

GW2 has terrible boss fights.

• Locked thread