Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
:siren:Click here for the latest update!:siren:

Panzer Skank shows us the darker side of 774 Deaths

So with the ending of Nanashi no Game (that you can check out here if you missed it), it seemed like everything should have had a happy ending. Asahi's soul was finally laid to rest, Ikuta was able to finish his work of love for his family, and Davey somehow managed to survive it all (though he inevitable lost everything else in the process). But it's hard to keep a good curse down and that brings us to the 'Nameless Game's' sequel, Nanashi no Game Me (or loosely translated 'The Nameless Game: Eye'). Released roughly a year after the first game, the metagame as well picks up a year or so after the events of the first game and puts us in control of a new protagonist who has to deal with some very similar set of circumstances. A cursed game is still being spread through the portable gaming population and people are still turning up dead, with the usual situation of being given a seven day life span to deal with the curse. The thing is though....that for however similar it may seem to the initial curse, there's plenty of differences this time around to leave the player guessing and on their toes.

So please, I can't emphasize this enough but refrain from spoilers. As far fetched as it might be that people out there know the plot, don't spoil it for others.

Finally, I want to give a huge shout-out to SA user How Ingratiating! for doing the amazing translation work you see in these videos. This game, much like Nanashi no Game, never got a proper English release and more so, this is currently the only English translation going on of the game. And if you like what you see and wish to show her some thanks, then maybe check out her patreon (https://www.patreon.com/rat) since translation is how she gets by and helping out is nice. Also if you like the subtitles you're seeing in the videos, that's all thanks to the super hard work of Panzer Skank who is way better at subtitles than I could ever be.

Fanart!
by yokaiy

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

I can't tell if these in-game character profiles are a step forward or a step backward. But what I do know is that Davey will always come out on top.

(also the length of time that the dialogue stays up will improve after this video; this is just a learning experience for me to guess how long the dialogue should stay up, so bare with me)

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 22, 2015

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
I'm a big baby and watching that at 4am was a bad idea :(

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I liked the LP of the previous game and I'm looking forward to this game.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
This just seems like a cash grab? I hope the plot has something cooking.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

coleman francis posted:

This just seems like a cash grab? I hope the plot has something cooking.
Oh, it definitely does Coleman. Though if you want to talk about real cash grabs, there were also two DSi titles released around the same time as this game and it was seriously just platforming sections with no story....and then there was the mobile game 774 Deaths which got a US release and was more Nanashi, but still was just the bad platforming sections. Now those are definitely cash grabs.

And I'm sure at some point Panzer will enter the thread and talk about her poor experiences trying to play 774 Deaths, cause apparently it's super horrible.

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010
Glad to see this up and running. Looking forward to more :)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It seems our best friend had a sad lonely life.

:japan:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Good news! I just finished translating the remaining days. Now I can sit back and enjoy the LP with the rest of you. (and get scared)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I've been waiting a long time for a playthrough of this game. Thanks a bunch. My only request is that you talk to the NPCs, if it isn't too much trouble for you and the translator. It's nice having the story from them, too, and not just the summary. (Some subtler things might be missed, as well.)

Other than that, good so far. The video quality and audio is pretty good.

(It might also be interesting to occasionally show the game during non-required parts, since it often mimics the real-world location you're in.)

Are you going to be doing two runs to show off both paths and endings?

E: Oh, there was also Nameless App for mobile, which was Japan only. It's a game that focuses much more on the RPG exploration parts of the original games, though adds in more of an action part by giving the player health and having to avoid enemies. 774 DEATHS was based off of that game's version of the side-scrolling minigames.

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 18, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

I've been waiting a long time for a playthrough of this game. Thanks a bunch. My only request is that you talk to the NPCs, if it isn't too much trouble for you and the translator. It's nice having the story from them, too, and not just the summary. (Some subtler things might be missed, as well.)

Other than that, good so far. The video quality and audio is pretty good.

(It might also be interesting to occasionally show the game during non-required parts, since it often mimics the real-world location you're in.)

Are you going to be doing two runs to show off both paths and endings?
Yeah, definitely after this day I'll be talking to the NPC's in the RPG a lot more (especially since the game requires it sometimes to progress). Really though, there's not too much missed story wise in Verona 2.0; but yeah, definitely from here on out we'll be talking to more people.

Also yeah, anytime that there are cartridges that I know how to get in the game world then I'll try my best to get them but I'm not especially going out of my way since they aren't plot necessary. For the most part though, in this chapter at least, it does what it did in the previous game and just leaves you with a single static screen (though it's not the bench this time around).

And yeah, the three-ish endings will be shown off; though in reality it's more like 2 and a half. I've tried my best to cover and find what can be found in-game; so hopefully I don't end up missing anything too great....like I almost missed that second rooster picture...cause it is a sight to behold.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Man, it feels like they really upped their game with the cutscenes. Those teeth. :stare:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mraagvpeine posted:

I liked the LP of the previous game and I'm looking forward to this game.

Echoing this, I was really hoping you'd do this one.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Just binge watched your LP of the first game so I'm all hyped for this

I just hope Asahi isn't involved again :ohdear: poor kid deserves some peace

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So since I figure that most people already saw the first chapter in the previous thread, we might as well get this mystery ball rolling by heading into the next day....but something is amiss here. By the end of the opening dialogue we see that we are given different two routes to go? That's right, it's not just a linear path anymore! And we will be taking both paths, but today we'll be focusing on the first path of danger....straight to Ooyama's house!

Blockhouse posted:

Just binge watched your LP of the first game so I'm all hyped for this

I just hope Asahi isn't involved again :ohdear: poor kid deserves some peace
She's hit ghost puberty! I hit ghost puberty once and you just wake up with a bed full of ectoplasm and tears.

VVVVVV
Well I wouldn't down play that feeling just yet; we've still got plenty of game to go through to not look back.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 22, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Oh good, I'm glad they're using the top screen of the DS for something! That's a nice touch.

When you got stuck in the alley loop, my gut instinct was not to turn around and look behind you. Guess I've been reading too much Jojo, though.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

I cannot take this game seriously. Between the hyper-realistic blood in the 8 bit sections, a guy who died just chilling in a house inside a lake, its just too bizzare and over the top to be anything but funny to me. When one just kicks a soccer ball at you and a minute later a tricycle falls from the sky, its less horrifying and more oh now they're just loving with me.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Is it just me or is Yuuto played by Ben Stiller?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
The left eye/right eye thing is pretty neat and they are at least giving you more varied locations. Maybe this isn't so bad after all.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
EDIT: Thought I was in the DS3 thread, don't mind me.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So is that "Lives X0" thing before the platforming section just a "wooo spooky" thing or do you actually only have once chance to do it or game over? What happens if you fail the platforming section, anyway?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

So is that "Lives X0" thing before the platforming section just a "wooo spooky" thing or do you actually only have once chance to do it or game over? What happens if you fail the platforming section, anyway?
As far as I can tell, nothing? It might have been some later tie in with the other platforming only games like 774 Deaths where there might be a limit, but in this game I don't think it's anything other than a number they felt had to be there (or maybe as a joke like how there were lives in dongs.exe). Or maybe there is something that happens at 774 deaths? There's not a terribly large amount of information on all the secrets for this game, but if anyone is interested I suppose I could try.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 21, 2015

MFDelta
Oct 9, 2012
I'm glad that Davey's friends are understanding enough not to comment on the fact that he evidently has his head turned like 45 degrees to the left at all times.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like this game is in danger of falling into the classic j-horror sequel trap where the creators feel like they have to escalate so much that things loop around from scary to dumb

which is how we got a Ringu reboot where Sadako turns into a grasshopper monster and chases a woman around for fifteen minutes

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Blockhouse posted:

which is how we got a Ringu reboot where Sadako turns into a grasshopper monster and chases a woman around for fifteen minutes

This sounds like the perfect thing for a Saturday afternoon

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like this game is in danger of falling into the classic j-horror sequel trap where the creators feel like they have to escalate so much that things loop around from scary to dumb

This game never really feels the need to go to that extreme. I will say that there were some silly scares in this update, but it's just the start of trying to introduce some new mechanics like the ghost eye and the platforming. There were some interesting set pieces like the repeating road and the girl in red....but then there's random ghost cars and Ooyama's house that has exploded(?). It makes the game never get dull from that angle.

Honestly the only problem I have with the game is that sometimes the designers didn't know how many times to use a puzzle. So you get introduced to putting down flowers in the game world and it drives off a regret, then you find that you need to keep doing it. But then it gets used another four times and you're just speeding past it because now it's just a tedious roadblock. I don't know, I really enjoy the game but I can definitely see it's faults.

tlarn posted:

This sounds like the perfect thing for a Saturday afternoon
This is pretty much every Saturday afternoon for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uzMNkS20fU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So it's safe to assume that if this curse game is the same one from the first game that whoever/whatever is haunting it (as you mention in the latest video, probably not Asahi) that it's gotten a lot worse since Asahi was around. The music is already all corrupted sounding and the in game graphics are already flickering about as bad as it was at the end of the first game i think? At least that's the feel i'm getting from it

P.S They go a bit crazy with the jump scares this time around don't they?

P.P.S That platforming section looked pretty janky, does it control alright?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Just a quick note on the videos, I did all the subtitle work in Aegisub! If anyone ever wants to know how I did anything in these videos or just generally anything about that fuckin program at all, feel free to hit me up. :3:

SystemLogoff posted:

It seems our best friend had a sad lonely life.

:japan:

I'm so glad someone else noticed Yuuto's masturbation palace

Blockhouse posted:

Niggurath posted:

This is pretty much every Saturday afternoon for me:

Okay bad news but we need to loving watch this poo poo immediately if Blockhouse isn't being facetious. I can't even tell anymore. Daijoubu.

Edit: VVVV Blargh this is my fault with my mediocre japanese skills, sorry about that. :doh:

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 22, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Minor nitpick, the kana for our intrepid hero's name actually says something more akin to "Deevey". :downs: デイビー results in more hits on Google, anyway, but for our purposes it's just fine.

I watched an LP of this game and of the original wayyyy back on Nicovideo and it's just as amazing as it was then. Can't wait to see if I understood the game's plot correctly the first time around. Odds are, I didn't.

If you ever need help translating, I'm around too!

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Just for the record, I let the ディビー thing slide, because subs were gonna cover it up anyway. v:v:v

I've seen the whole game already via someone else's Youtube LP. It had awful sound quality, so I listened to cute happy music while using it for translation context. Now I get to hear all the sounds and BGM for the first time in Niggurath's LP.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Panzer Skank posted:

Okay bad news but we need to loving watch this poo poo immediately if Blockhouse isn't being facetious. I can't even tell anymore. Daijoubu.

I am dead loving serious.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
As far as I know the only thing the counter does is give you an achievement at 774 deaths in, well, 774 DEATHS. You'll also note the subtle humor in the fact it isn't counting lives, it's counting, well. You'll see when he dies.

The controls aren't terrible; the weird stuttering is because the game kinda fumbles with moving blocks. The story-required ones aren't difficult at all, but there are a few you can get from cartridges that are more difficult than some of the Kaizo Mario levels.

I think the only "secrets" in this game revolve around the cursed game cartridges that pop up. A select few of them only show up on certain days (like a Friday the 13th for #13, I think?).

The videos are great so far and you're doing a good job of explaining what's going on. :) Looking forward to the next update. I guess you're doing each day's routes first?

E: Something neat you might not notice at first: If your left eye is pointing at a Regret, there will be much more distortion along the point where it is, even if it isn't otherwise visible. (You can see this in a few parts when they're moving post-flowers and you pass by.)

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 22, 2015

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

As far as I know the only thing the counter does is give you an achievement at 774 deaths in, well, 774 DEATHS.

Not even that, unless it decided to not unlock for me for some reason. I was pretty disappointed when I got up to and past 774 and nothing happened at all.

Lindy Hopscotch
Mar 30, 2010

You know the story about the scorpion and the frog?
Really really enjoyed the first go around, already enjoying this one :) Glad to see an actual scary game on DS

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Polsy posted:

Not even that, unless it decided to not unlock for me for some reason. I was pretty disappointed when I got up to and past 774 and nothing happened at all.
Yeah, Panzer got bored the other day and since she owned the game as well she gave it a try...and got nothing. Which is a bit of a bummer that it does seem to be nothing more than a lovely platformer with references no one outside of Japan will get. And I wish I could say that's the oddest bit of marketing done for this game but then Panzer found out about something called 'Shock Labyrinth 4.0' which was some flash game released around the same time as Nanashi Me that gave you a special password to unlock some special enemy(?) and it was all some larger tie in with this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1414581/. I might try to see if I can get the password to work but neither me nor Panzer are totally sure what this thing is that we're supposed to be looking for.

Zamujasa posted:

As far as I know the only thing the counter does is give you an achievement at 774 deaths in, well, 774 DEATHS. You'll also note the subtle humor in the fact it isn't counting lives, it's counting, well. You'll see when he dies.

The controls aren't terrible; the weird stuttering is because the game kinda fumbles with moving blocks. The story-required ones aren't difficult at all, but there are a few you can get from cartridges that are more difficult than some of the Kaizo Mario levels.

I think the only "secrets" in this game revolve around the cursed game cartridges that pop up. A select few of them only show up on certain days (like a Friday the 13th for #13, I think?).

The videos are great so far and you're doing a good job of explaining what's going on. :) Looking forward to the next update. I guess you're doing each day's routes first?

E: Something neat you might not notice at first: If your left eye is pointing at a Regret, there will be much more distortion along the point where it is, even if it isn't otherwise visible. (You can see this in a few parts when they're moving post-flowers and you pass by.)
Haha, yeah, I end up noticing the distortion on the left eye at some point in the future though initially it doesn't have much use. And I'm glad you're enjoying the video quality and stuff; I was only able to find one other set of videos on youtube for the game and they were less than stellar quality.

Also I'm going to try my best to get the more obvious cartridges, but I definitely know I won't be getting them all and that's fine...because I've seen what it unlocks and I'll just link a video to it later because I have no want to do that thing that it unlocks.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I love the haunted cartridges. I used to play a friend's NES in his super scary, creaky old house as a little kid, so this gives me a nostalgic feeling. (And it's kinda hilarious.)

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Okay, I've had words about this for a while so now I'm gonna post 'em.

Let's Talk About 774 Deaths

This game is poo poo. This game is loving garbage. I hate this game.

First things first though -

This cute little dog runs along before the title screen. I don't know what he's from or what he's supposed to mean, but I like dogs. So this is okay.

Back to the main menu though, pressing start game takes you to the first room:

The two weird shapes are shortcut wells. Once you hit the halfway point and, I'm assuming the last room, you can unlock these shortcut wells to get back to where you were. Going out the door at the bottom returns you to the main menu, the door at the top takes you to the next room.

To move in the overworld you need to swipe to take a step in the direction that you swiped. It is a really clumsy way to move around.

The NPC statues you can find in each room can be interacted with in so far that they change the appearance of your character. As far as I can tell this is purely aesthetic and has zero effect on the game.

Here's the first room of the game. Each grave is a small game to play. They're usually gray to start with, to indicate the game hasn't been cleared, but I've played a little bit so I've got a few white headstones to mark that I've beaten that game.

Each sign just has the number of the game. Walking up to the headstone and tapping it starts the actual gameplay.

110 deaths is about as far as I'd gotten by actually trying to clear this piece of poo poo game before I realized it was bullshit and gave up, but I'll get to that in a second. Let's talk about the types of games there are first.

The first one is the same basic platformer we see in Nanashi no Game: Me, except as you can see the buttons are drawn onto the screen. They are small, and once your fingers are on them you cannot see them anymore. You can very, very easily lose track of where they are and miss the button entirely. They also do not handle rapid input well, like if you need to jump multiple times quickly.

Like in the very first loving game for example.

The next game type requires you to turn your phone vertical.

This game type is a loving appalling mess. Basically your character falls at a set speed, and you need to rotate your phone side to side to navigate around a death obstacle course. The further to the side you rotate the phone, the faster the character moves to the side. It's an incredibly imprecise way to control anything on this loving earth and of course the mazes are based entirely around precision and memorizing where the bullshit kills come from.

Here's the next room of games and the next random character model we can be. Each room opens up after you've cleared... I think it's half of the games in the previous room? I've managed to clear a few rooms through sheer self loathing.

The third game type is an endless runner, where your character is constantly running to the right and you need to tap to make them jump over obstacles. This game type, in particular, is fifty kinds of stupid bullshit, and why is a little hard to explain.

Primarily, every game type has hosed up garbage physics that are wildly inconsistent between runs. You can do the exact same series of inputs five times in a row and get incredibly different outcomes every time. Rather than just needing to jump over obstacles in the endless runner stages, they require you to manipulate the physics to make jumps that are otherwise impossible. The game will put a single block you leave the character against, pushing them back toward the left side of the screen (you die if the left side actually reaches your character). Jumping over this block will then cause your character to increase in speed very very slightly, in a weird effort to gradually rubberband them back to the center where the character is meant to be. This is not an obvious feature or even meant to be something the player is supposed to notice, I think, but nearly every endless runner stage in the game uses this hosed up physics manipulation as the crux of its design.

The final game type is literally the dumbest poo poo possible. Remember those little metal ball mazes you could get for like a dollar as a kid? You rotate the plastic maze around and navigate the ball through it and it's not fun at all? It's that, except with your poo poo character and an impossibly tight time limit.

Some of them, like this one, are rather linear. You just need to tilt the phone to slide the character away from the blades through a linear maze. Some of them, however, are very complex mazes that you have to memorize and slam through as fast as possible to beat the time limit.

I could go on and on about how awful the gameplay is in this. The controls are inconsistent, the physics are non-existent. The precision it demands for such miserable control is just stupid.

You will die from being near a blade, thinking about a blade, saying the word blade out loud. The hitboxes on these things are stupid and murder you with no warning, even when you are not anywhere near them:

Playing this game is a living misery. BUT.

Zamujasa posted:

THIS POST. This post intrigued me. What the hell happens when I actually die 774 times? Also, while we're on this subject, where did the 774 number come from? "Nanashi" can sort of be 7 and 4 near each other, but it is more likely to be read as the "seven deaths" pun rather than the two numbers. Even still, where did that extra 7 come from? What the hell am I missing here.

Anyway. I picked a level where you die pretty much the instant you spawn, set the phone on my desk, and drummed my fingers on it while I watched a movie. Touching the game when you die resets it, so I just didn't bother looking at it for an hour or two.

Oh man what's gonna happen, what clever joke did Zamujasa reference, I just gotta know !!

!!!

Nothing happened. :( I'm actually up to about 1000 deaths now, nothing at all has happened.

Maybe it unlocked an achievement, you're thinking. It has an achievements button right there. (As an aside, if you click "view the latest information" it takes you to a weird Square Enix site which has literally no information about the Nanashi IP, so. Whatever.)

The achievements for this game are pretty bare bones. Achievements for unlocking each room and clearing each room, but nothing seems to have unlocked for getting the titular number of deaths. Well, let's go back to the game then.

Yeah looking at the achievements actually breaks the entire game and you have to force close it to reset the aspect ratio.

Also just one last aside that for some reason this is the only app I've ever seen that doesn't show a frozen state on the app management screen. Usually there's supposed to be like a small thumbnail of whatever application there, but instead it's just a transparent gray box?

So, just to really depress the hell out of you if you're a fan of the Nanashi IP, Japan actually had a proper Nameless App released back a few years ago. It cost a whopping $10, but it looks like it was AMAZING. You can read about it here and on a few other scattered sites as well. The app actually had an imitation of the android homescreen that you would run the actual "cursed" game within. As you played, it would propagate a twitter application with fake tweets from other people playing the game and dying. It had an email application where you could receive haunted emails, and it looks like you'd even get hosed up ghost phone calls??? There is a haunted camera you needed to take spooky pictures with too. The RPG section even looks like it did have some sort of interesting narrative.

As you can guess a $10 game didn't fare so well on the mobile market, so Square Enix pulled the entire thing down and replaced it with 774 Deaths. It's a really sad end for a super great IP. I hope they end up doing something more with it cause drat this sucks.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Panzer Skank posted:

Also, while we're on this subject, where did the 774 number come from? "Nanashi" can sort of be 7 and 4 near each other, but it is more likely to be read as the "seven deaths" pun rather than the two numbers. Even still, where did that extra 7 come from? What the hell am I missing here.
It's regular old Japanese number puns. Konami does it all the time with 573 (ko/go = 5, na = 7, mi = 3).... so then, "Nanashi" is straight up just "7 7 4."

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

asymmetrical posted:

It's regular old Japanese number puns. Konami does it all the time with 573 (ko/go = 5, na = 7, mi = 3).... so then, "Nanashi" is straight up just "7 7 4."

oh I :doh: dammit. I learned Japanese a real long time ago and I've forgotten about 98% of it. It didn't occur to me to just read "na" as 7. Sigh.

Edit: VVVV I don't know how I failed to mention that but yeah, it totally plays the same goddamn song, super loud and on repeat. Forever.

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The important question for 774 Deaths: does it play the music? The infernal tune that is stuck in my head for like 3 days after every one of Niggurath's updates?

• Locked thread