Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'm doing ACL bearings but there is no world where a 2871 is a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah the turbine is too small for that compressor (2871 = 71mm compressor, 56mm turbine). It was ok before the GTX aero but 3071 or even 3067 are better matched for the new wheels.

But if you are starting from scratch the borg warner EFR with an integrated wastegate, bov, and boost control solenoid really simplify the packaging and setup. A 7670 (76mm compressor, 70mm turbine) would be a good choice.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 7, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a gtx2863 already please stop talking about spending even more money :(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
gtx2863 is a good match and a nice turbo. A little small though...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah forgive me, old man. Last time I owned an SR20, the gtx series were still a ways off.

How early do you hit full boost on the 2863? I'd expect it'd be fairly responsive vs the old gt28s...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

after tweaking the boost controller, you can hit 25ish PSI by 3500RPM. probably exaggerating a bit, but its close.

its a real hoot sitting around 3k in 2nd gear and mashing the throttle.

the 2871s just a poorly matched turbo. Its only good for people who give a poo poo what the dyno reads, and even then there is better options.

for drivability you dont want much more than a 2867 in terms of a bolt on turbo. a friend has one on his S15 and it is pretty awesome.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hell even with the S15 T28 I had on mine for a while, going from 1/2 throttle to WOT at about 3KRPM was insanely fun. SRs really are one of the greatest engines for a street car. You get this big chunk of totally usable power, and you don't have to do twice the speed limit to put a huge smile on your face. The JZs and UZ I had before and after were plenty powerful, but you always end up doing 180k+ on a public roadway which isn't ideal.

Hopefully I'll have the budget and garage space for a race car again before the S15 becomes unobtainable.

If you sell it you'll miss it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Don Dongington posted:

If you sell it you'll miss it.

This! Hold onto it unless you can flip it for or towards a new car. I can't overstate how clean your ride is.

Now let me share with you my horror story from last night at midnight when my 240sx turned back into a pumpkin:

So I'm doing the usual late night drive around the local side cuts and smoke starts billowing out like crazy. I pop the hood and it looks like some hoses busted and sprayed all over the loving place. Pretty normal for a back alley engine swap tbh, so much so that I even keep spare parts for poo poo like that in the hatch. I quickly cut a new piece and swap it on the spot. Start the car back up and everything seems alright. As I'm cradling it home I notice what appear to be misfires. Hmm... maybe something that shouldn't have got kind of wet? Never got around to putting a proper cover on afterall since I dog it so much lmao

...decide to start by changing out the sparkplugs when:

thus began the process of poking paper towels around with a screwdriver cause that's all i had at the time and I'm lazy:

front two were like that and this is about as clean as it'll ever probably get:

the rest were practically fine though, just like this truly professional and custom wire tuck job i did the other day:

:perfect:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:stare: Jesus, replace your VC gaskets/spark plug seals. It's like you don't even have any seals in there...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Took it for a drive last night, windows down, my current fave album, and empty tunnels.

gently caress I am going to miss this car. it feels like a tweaked out crackhead in comparison to my borrowed Legacy GT. like it'll loving stab you if you look at it sideways. I love it.

:(

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Laserface posted:

Took it for a drive last night, windows down, my current fave album, and empty tunnels.

gently caress I am going to miss this car. it feels like a tweaked out crackhead in comparison to my borrowed Legacy GT. like it'll loving stab you if you look at it sideways. I love it.

keep it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Even if I buy a daily I have nowhere to safely keep this car.

Ideally I would buy something suitable for my other-life stuff (camping and roadtrips) like an Outback while I say like $50 a week towards getting poo poo fixed proper, I dont have a garage to keep it in.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Laserface posted:

Even if I buy a daily I have nowhere to safely keep this car.

Ideally I would buy something suitable for my other-life stuff (camping and roadtrips) like an Outback while I say like $50 a week towards getting poo poo fixed proper, I dont have a garage to keep it in.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Car is in the shop, apparently the motor mounts disintegrated when they unbolted them from the subframe :v:

Looks like I will be hanging on to it until feb when it's registration is renewed so I don't get cheap assholes trying to whittle down the price because it has a month of rego.

Also gonna black wrap the roof and bonnet to hide the hosed paint.

And now I am moving into a place with a 6 car garage after agreeing with the gf that it's time to sell it :smith:

Life is mean sometimes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Car is back on the road, in dire need of an alignment (front subframe was removed completely) but it is smooooooth as poo poo now.

its also unfamiliar to see the oil pressure gauge holding steady and increasing linearly :v:

the new engine mounts definitely make a big difference with shifting and power delivery too. the old ones were totally gone, just crumbled in his hands when he showed me.

bearing wear wasnt that bad at all, just down the copper on one part of one of the main bearings.

I want to keep it :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
KEEP IT.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I've bought and installed a 'brand new' gearbox and clutch into my Chaser a few months ago (stupidly didn't elect to get it inspected), when it went in it sounded like marbles being ground together at yelling decibels - I was freaking crushed. I felt like burning the car to the ground; poo poo kept going wrong with it. I've now bought another gearbox and clutch assembly installed and couldn't be happier*

Keep it mang. Yours may not be worth shitloads, but they certainly aren't going to be making any more of them, and yours is a pretty clean example.

*I'm now looking at turbo, diff and ECU upgrades :ohdear:

fingerling fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 25, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

just blasted some bitchass kid in his BRZ at full boost

i have missed this.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Speaking as someone with way too many RX-7s, never sell anything you have an emotional attachment to.* You'll always regret it.

* Advice predicated on having a nearly unlimited amount of storage space

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
The only respectable modern Nissan. Looks pretty!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Laserface posted:

i have missed this.

Keep the car or IOC will ban you.

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

Laserface posted:

i have missed this.

Keep it

You can park it in my shed if you're in Brisbane (next to my bitchass 86)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

jacteh posted:

Keep it

You can park it in my shed if you're in Brisbane (next to my bitchass 86)

Im in Sydney, but I appreciate the offer.

TBH the 86 are cool cars just under powered. the FA20DIT in the new rex would be so loving great in that car.

Im currently looking at what to do in order to keep it - Im gonna need another car or the Mrs. will definitely get all moody the next time we gotta drive 4hrs up the coast to Forster.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 27, 2016

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

my dude just buy a shitbox toyota/honda like the rest of us with silvias on shoestring ziptie budgets

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Rhyno posted:

KEEP IT.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am probably keeping it.

It makes no financial sense to sell it and enter debt for 5 years to own a new car that'll depreciate, it gives me a hobby that isn't video games and my gf needs a new car so the current plan is move to her huge rear end house with 4 car garage and buy an adventure vehicle primarily for her but our "every day" car for when we are going somewhere together.

This still hinges on how hosed my commute becomes (google maps says bad) but yeah the plan is to keep it and trickle-fund a budget to fix the body and paint work and have a fun weekend/Friday commute car.

I am excited for its new found future.

The tacho is now reading half as much as it should if idle dips below 500rpm, so thats going to be a fun little project.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Laserface posted:

It makes no financial sense to sell it and enter debt for 5 years to own a new car that'll depreciate, it gives me a hobby that isn't video games and my gf needs a new car so the current plan is move to her huge rear end house with 4 car garage and buy an adventure vehicle primarily for her but our "every day" car for when we are going somewhere together.
Yes, stick to this, don't learn the lesson the hard way.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Laserface posted:

This still hinges on how hosed my commute becomes (google maps says bad) but yeah the plan is to keep it and trickle-fund a budget to fix the body and paint work and have a fun weekend/Friday commute car.

I am excited for its new found future.

The tacho is now reading half as much as it should if idle dips below 500rpm, so thats going to be a fun little project.

I'm not the biggest fan of these cars, but I'm real glad you're keeping it, based on what it seems to mean to you. Don't let it be the one that got away that you will forever regret selling.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah it kind of really struck me when I was driving my "other car" (dad's leg GT) and I saw one. My girlfriend actually pointed it out "oh look! A 180! Are you sad you're selling yours?"

"Well, yeah. They're like the best looking car ever and it's so fun."

She also secretly wants to drive it because this whole discussion immediately derailed to "well you can take the comfy car to work on your longer drive and I can take your car to work!"

I'll make a hoon of her yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's trying to steal your car.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

She can't drive stick yet. Built in theft protection.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I bought myself a low profile 3T jack and a bunch of new poo poo for the car.

Intima SR f/r brake pads
New wiper blades

Gave the wheels a good clean while I had them off the car. Not bad https://imgur.com/a/wrub5

Doing a bedding in procedure in the rain was a real hoot :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Lookin good!

I spent Christmas in the hatch fixing a tiny fuel leak that was smelling to bad to ignore.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Either my Front Crank Seal is hosed or my oil pressure sensor is leaking but there is a lot of oil everywhere on the floor of my garage.

There is also a lot of oil all over the front cover and alternator so I am guessing it is the front seal :(

oil pressure readings gettin wild as gently caress under boost.

Why cant things just work :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's cars for you. If the pressure readings look wonky then maybe it's the sensor. Hopefully since that's probably easier.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Finally got the KW Clubsports installed up front, still need to get a sleeve turned up for the rear top mounts to install them. Also new inner/outer tie rods and steering rack bushings went on while I was underneath.

I Think I overshot the rideheight a bit... (undershot?)

It wouldnt roll and I was too tired to adjust the height so I improvised

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

fresh coilovers should come packaged with like 4-6 long/thin planks of wood

Laserface posted:

Why cant things just work :(

:ohdear:

worst case scenario do a fresh engine swap instead of selling the car and still have a very nice and good s13 forever until it they stop selling gas at street corners

Thief fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 15, 2017

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Its definitely the front crank seal.

the crank pulley looks like it was put on crooked or something so its gotta come off anyway.

in the mean time I am covering the paint marks with fresh electrical tape :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is what I walk out to from my house every morning and probably why I cant let go of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
if you need parts let me know, we have a collection of sr20 bits downstairs and in storage on the coast

• Locked thread