Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/111291429791/the-best-lifestyle-might-be-the-cheapest-too

quote:

If you were to build a city from scratch, using current technology, what would it cost to live there? I think it would be nearly free if you did it right.

This is a big deal because people aren’t saving enough for retirement, and many folks are underemployed. If the economy can’t generate enough money for everyone to pay for a quality lifestyle today, perhaps we can approach it from the other direction and lower the cost of living.

Consider energy costs. We already know how to build homes that use zero net energy. So that budget line goes to zero if you build a city from scratch. Every roof will be intelligently oriented to the sun, and every energy trick will be used in the construction of the homes. (I will talk about the capital outlay for solar panels and whatnot later.)

I can imagine a city built around communal farming in which all the food is essentially free. Imagine every home with a greenhouse. All you grow is one crop in your home, all year, and the Internet provides an easy sharing system as well as a way to divide up the crops in a logical way. I share my cucumbers and in return get whatever I need from the other neighbors’ crops via an organized ongoing sharing arrangement. My guess is that using the waste water (treated) and excess heat from the home you could grow food economically in greenhouses. If you grow more than you eat, the excess is sold in neighboring towns, and that provides enough money for you to buy condiments, sauces, and stuff you can’t grow at home.

Medical costs will never go to zero, but recent advances in medical testing technology (which I have seen up close in start-up pitches) will drive the costs of routine medical services down by 80% over time. That’s my guess, based on the several pitches I have seen.

Now add Big Data to the mix and the ability to catch problems early (when they are inexpensive to treat) is suddenly tremendous.

Now add IBM’s Watson technology (artificial intelligence) to the medical system and you will be able to describe your symptoms to your phone and get better-than-human-doctor diagnoses right away. (Way better. Won’t even be close.) So doctor visits will become largely unnecessary except for emergency room visits, major surgeries, and end-of-life stuff.

Speaking of end-of-life, assume doctor-assisted-suicide is legal by the time this city is built. I plan to make sure that happens in California on the next vote. Other states will follow. In this imagined future you can remove much of the unnecessary costs of the cruel final days of life that are the bulk of medical expenses.

Now assume the city of the future has exercise facilities nearby for everyone, and the city is designed to promote healthy living. Everyone would be walking, swimming, biking, and working out. That should reduce healthcare costs.

Now imagine that because everyone is growing healthy food in their own greenhouses, the diet of this new city is spectacular. You’d have to make sure every home had a smoothie-maker for protein shakes. And let’s say you can buy meat from the outside if you want it, so no one is deprived. But the meat-free options will improve from the sawdust and tofu tastes you imagine now to something much more enjoyable over time. Healthy eaters who associate with other healthy eaters share tricks for making healthy food taste amazing.

Now assume the homes are organized such that they share a common center “grassy” area that is actually artificial turf so you don’t need water and mowing. Every home opens up to the common center, which has security cameras, WiFi, shady areas, dog bathroom areas, and more. This central lawn creates a natural “family” of folks drawn to the common area each evening for fun and recreation. This arrangement exists in some communities and folks rave about the lifestyle, as dogs and kids roam freely from home to home encircling the common open area.

That sort of home configuration takes care of your childcare needs, your pet care needs, and lots of other things that a large “family” handles easily. The neighborhood would be Internet-connected so it would be easy to find someone to watch your kid or dog if needed, for free. My neighborhood is already connected by an email group, so if someone sees a suspicious activity, for example, the entire neighborhood is alerted in minutes.

I assume that someday online education will be far superior to the go-to-school model. Online education improves every year while the classroom experience has started to plateau. Someday every home will have what I call an immersion room, which is a small room with video walls so you can immerse yourself in history, or other studies, and also visit other places without leaving home. (Great for senior citizens especially.) So the cost of education will drop to zero as physical schools become less necessary.

When anyone can learn any skill at home, and any job opening is easy to find online, the unemployment rate should be low. And given the low cost of daily living, folks can afford to take a year off to retool and learn new skills.

The repair and maintenance costs of homes can drop to nearly zero if you design homes from the start to accomplish that goal. You start by using common windows, doors, fixtures, and mechanical systems from a fixed set of choices. That means you always have the right replacement part nearby. Everyone has the same AC units, same Internet routers, and so on. If something breaks, a service guy swaps it out in an hour. Or do it yourself. If you start from scratch to make your homes maintenance-free, you can get close. You would have homes that never need paint, with floors and roofs that last hundreds of years, and so on.

Today it costs a lot to build a home, but most of that cost is in the inefficiency of the process. In the future, homes will be designed to the last detail using CAD, and factory-cut materials of the right size will appear on the job site as a snap-together kit with instructions printed on each part. I could write a book on this topic, but the bottom line is that home construction is about 80% higher than it needs to be even with current technology.

The new city would be built on cheap land, by design, so land costs would be minimal. Construction costs for a better-than-today condo-sized home would probably be below $75,000 apiece. Amortized over 15 years the payments are tiny. And after the 15th year there is no mortgage at all. (The mortgage expense includes the solar panels, greenhouses, etc.)

Transportation would be cheap in this new city. Individually-owned automobiles would be banned. Public transportation would be on-demand and summoned by app (like Uber).

And the self-driving cars would be cheap to build. Once human drivers are out of the picture you can remove all of the safety features because accidents won’t happen. And you only summon a self-driving car that is the size you need. There is no reason to drag an empty back seat and empty trunk everywhere you go. And if you imagine underground roads, the cars don’t need to be weather-proof. And your sound system is your phone, so the car just needs speakers and BlueTooth. Considering all of that, self-driving cars might someday cost $5,000 apiece, and that expense would be shared across several users on average. And imagine the cars are electric, and the city produces its own electricity. Your transportation budget for the entire family might be $200 per month within the city limits.

The cost of garbage service could drop to nearly zero if homes are designed with that goal in mind. Your food garbage would go back to the greenhouse as mulch. You wouldn’t have much processed food in this city, so no cans and bottles to discard. And let’s say you ban the postal service from this new city because all they do is deliver garbage anyway. (All bills will be online.) And let’s say if you do accumulate a bag of garbage you can just summon a garbage vehicle to meet you at the curb using the same app you use for other vehicles. By the time you walk to the curb, the vehicle pulls up, and you toss the bag in.

I think a properly-designed city could eliminate 80% of daily living expenses while providing a quality of life far beyond what we experience today. And I think this future will have to happen because the only other alternative is an aggressive transfer of wealth from the rich to the poor by force of law. I don’t see that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Posted February 17th, 2015 @ 11:40am in #greenenergy #urbanplanning #Uber #income inequality

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no thanks

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

yes please!!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i have not read the article yet but i do not care for libertarians

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Elder Postsman posted:

same

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lol

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I, for one, wholly support this proposal for a "yuppie prison."

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

ok i read it now and it's all extremely stupid. scott adams is a dumb and bad person.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
he's super dumb

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The repair and maintenance costs of homes can drop to nearly zero if you design homes from the start to accomplish that goal. You start by using common windows, doors, fixtures, and mechanical systems from a fixed set of choices. That means you always have the right replacement part nearby. Everyone has the same AC units, same Internet routers, and so on. If something breaks, a service guy swaps it out in an hour. Or do it yourself. If you start from scratch to make your homes maintenance-free, you can get close. You would have homes that never need paint, with floors and roofs that last hundreds of years, and so on.

this man literally doesn't understand the meanings of the word "maintenance" and "costs"

e: or basic physics

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Elder Postsman posted:

imagine a world where people who don't know how to use a table saw or a nail gun get together and decide to build a solar powered vegetarian circular commune around a big astroturf field and compost their own poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

angry_keebler posted:

compost their own poo poo
theyre alreayd huffing their own farts this is just pokemon evolution

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

at the date posted:

I, for one, wholly support this proposal for a "yuppie prison."

same

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

this man literally doesn't understand the meanings of the word "maintenance" and "costs"

And the self-driving cars would be cheap to build. Once human drivers are out of the picture you can remove all of the safety features because accidents won’t happen.

lol how does he think self driving cars work

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

well jonny the pyramids have been around for thousands of years, surely we modern Freemen can create buildings that last even a fraction of that time

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Scott Adams, the man who couldn't sell a breakfast burrito, wants you to live in his city

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

also i am literally laughing my butt off at "Everyone has the same AC units, same Internet routers, and so on." because yes THOSE are the important components of a home. indeed. thank you scott adams for your wisdom.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the village dentist (degree from youtube certified by wikihow) ran out of nitrous oxide but i'm sure we can find a chemical supply house that will accept cucumbers as payment

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

pictured: scott adams' ideal neighborhood

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

in Scott Adams' utopia, you will walk downhill both to and from work. this will save millions

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Elder Postsman posted:

pictured: scott adams' ideal neighborhood

where is this bc tbqh i wouldnt b surpprised to find this in san francisco

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

du -hast posted:

where is this bc tbqh i wouldnt b surpprised to find this in san francisco

mexico city

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

thought that was simcity 5

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

there's only one place to poo poo in Scott Adams' utopian city

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

and they're all made out of ticky-tacky
and they all look just the same

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

quote:

When watched, people are nice. There would be plenty of watching in this world.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wait this is a photo and not a render wtf

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also lol at a 200/month family transportation budget for just within city limits

in real cities you can already do that, for less

praise be to mass transit

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

A Pinball Wizard posted:

and they're all made out of ticky-tacky
and they all look just the same

came back to alley oop my previous dope rear end post {see above} w\ rthis and was beaten :saddowns:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

also lol at a 200/month family transportation budget for just within city limits

unlimited bus pass is 79 a month here, half price for students or if you're below the poverty line.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bloody posted:

uh, but this public transit is on-demand, summoned by app.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

Once human drivers are out of the picture you can remove all of the safety features because accidents won’t happen

:downsbravo:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the cars cost five thousand dollars, because they can drive themselves, thus negating the requirement for, uh, seat belts?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

obligatory

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

angry_keebler posted:

certified by wikihow
there's a name change candidate

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

surely nothing unexpected or unavoidable will ever happen because cars are driven computers

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

also, your phone is the sound system. all the car needs is bluetooth and an amplifier and speakers, none of that expensive poo poo like an am/fm radio.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

quote:

And if you imagine underground roads, the cars don’t need to be weather-proof.

i'm imagining, scott! i really am. wow. it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cars that move underground powered by electricity with just enough room for the people

kinda sounds like trains

• Locked thread