Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
this is the thread for making music and listening to music both of which often involve computers in this day and age

we have been making many beeps and boops

here's a cover of a kraftwerk song i made last weekend that i rushed so i dont like too much but ppl say is alright? idk its some uncanny valley poo poo

https://soundcloud.com/dumbledog/the-model-demo

i have an idea for an ep in the back of my head revolving around nuclear energy in the 80s but its gonna be a lot of effort!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
moog is bringing back their big fuckoff modular synths for like 35 grand lmao look at this fuken thing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

groudn floor. any recommendations on entry hardware for making one's own beepboop music?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i'd say go with software first, save some money (although you'll have to drop $200 on a DAW first, hm)

syntorial is a good app for learning the ins and outs of how synths work

after that pick up a soft synth, u-he makes good poo poo so i'd say go with diva or maybe ace

if you really want to go the hardware setup, the ms-20 and microbrute i picked up this month work amazingly well together

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a paia fatman that i promised to give to relative_q and god drat it i am going to get it to him

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
also there are mad synth apps for the ipad if you got one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im OG sampler dude. i have an akai s2800 and an emu e6400 all scsi'd up and poo poo. they sound so good.

i havent done any music stuff since we moved though, i'd like to get back into it but i gotta get a bass first

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i have a paia fatman that i promised to give to relative_q and god drat it i am going to get it to him

give it to me to use with my broken 9700

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

also there are mad synth apps for the ipad if you got one

yep there are crazy good synth apps for the ipad, and they're cheap as heck too

sample-mangling is more my speed but there are some great apps for that as well

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

can you take a pic sometime? the website has lovely small pics but looks like it uses korgs weirdass hz/v pitch deal so it'd be a good fit

like does it have cv outs for the lfo and such

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
oh, and gordon reid's synth secrets series is absolutely required reading if you really want to know how beep boops work

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
for anyone who wants to learn the basics of synthesis, the "how to make a noise" ebooks are a great cheap resource. they're not perfect, but they're like $3

i've been learning fm synth with one of those books and fm8 and it is sooo fun

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

stop buying poo poo

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

for anyone who wants to learn the basics of synthesis, the "how to make a noise" ebooks are a great cheap resource. they're not perfect, but they're like $3

i've been learning fm synth with one of those books and fm8 and it is sooo fun

i do actually want to learn fm synth sometime, thinking about picking up bazille

i also want to get a hardware polysynth, maybe a desktop module like the pro 12

and the pro 2 if i save up

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
there's a new fm synth for the ipad that is apparently pretty good, i think it's just called fm4. might be an easy way to get your feet or other appendages wet

fm8 is daunting at first but so insanely flexible once you get everything worked out, it's amazing

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

i do actually want to learn fm synth sometime, thinking about picking up bazille

i also want to get a hardware polysynth, maybe a desktop module like the pro 12

and the pro 2 if i save up

dave smith is a rad dude, when i bought the evolver desktop in high school the shipping got messed up and he called my parents house looking for me

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
tip: putting your samples into an expensive hardware sampler is a good way to warm up the bits.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

there's a new fm synth for the ipad that is apparently pretty good, i think it's just called fm4. might be an easy way to get your feet or other appendages wet

yeah i picked it up when it was a buck

also dexed is free and legit, but isn't an audio unit yet (just vst)

john chowning's book based on the dx7 is floating around somewhere on the net, i want to use that and dexed to try to get a good handle on fm some day

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oscillators are analgg not digital ban this non didigitial foilth

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
sometimes oscillators are digital! Then they're called lifeless and sterile

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Tayter Swift posted:

sometimes oscillators are digital! Then they're called lifeless and sterile

myuch

My

posting??

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
this sine wave is full of life

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
if you just want to make some beep boops you can try out FamiTracker and make some NES-style chiptunes

it'll also prepare you for the world of amiga-style tracker programs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

fm8 is daunting at first but so insanely flexible once you get everything worked out, it's amazing

eyas

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flat Daddy posted:

this sine wave is full of life

i would tend to disagree. sawtooth now.. there is some life

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
used to be big into square but i realised saw is so much more musical and any time i trialled both the saw always sounds better, the square always harsheier

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

poo poo if anyone's getting into fm, i have a yamaha fb01 id trade for something

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

now that technics arent being made anymore what is the default "Good as hell turntable"

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
it really whips the llama's rear end

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
nobody has mentioned it yet but reason 5 owns bowns btw when used like a vst for ableton. hook it up w rewire. i made a max4live instrument to give u the combinator front panel from inside ableton so u can twiddle the knobs

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
does surgeon even know what's going on with that big tangle of wires or is he just doing poo poo at random

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9VtKqprUY

also lol @ the like two whole earth women in the entire crowd. ofc there's also this which is probably p. much the opposite

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flat Daddy posted:

nobody has mentioned it yet but reason 5 owns bowns btw when used like a vst for ableton. hook it up w rewire. i made a max4live instrument to give u the combinator front panel from inside ableton so u can twiddle the knobs

i should mention the reason for this is to give u midi control.

alas i dont use it anymore bc i had a pirated copy and i guess the copy protection kicked in after years of use and it straight up deleted itself from my hard drive lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

jony ive aces posted:

does surgeon even know what's going on with that big tangle of wires or is he just doing poo poo at random

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww9VtKqprUY

some fukin poes_law.mp4 poo poo right here

one thing i'm learning with the ms-20 is that it can look more complicated than it really is because doing a specific task can take a bunch of wires to do a thing

for example if i want to add in some growly stuff using the control wheel i think i could patch it like so (haven't tried it yet)

that's five fuken wires (so ten jacks), but all it does is move the cutoff up and down randomly using white noise and control it w/ the mod wheel

it's like the synth version of assembly language, sure you can eventually get it to do what you want but it takes a billion steps

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

some fukin poes_law.mp4 poo poo right here

one thing i'm learning with the ms-20 is that it can look more complicated than it really is because doing a specific task can take a bunch of wires to do a thing

for example if i want to add in some growly stuff using the control wheel i think i could patch it like so (haven't tried it yet)

that's five fuken wires (so ten jacks), but all it does is move the cutoff up and down randomly using white noise and control it w/ the mod wheel

it's like the synth version of assembly language, sure you can eventually get it to do what you want but it takes a billion steps

lol ive never understood these virtual patches. they have it on the theatre software i use, QLab, and its always perplexed me.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
q is not e lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i can't look at them and know what they sound like but it's not like these things have patch memory so i dunno how else to record them :shrug:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtR63-ecUNo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i should actually buy a copy of renoise

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

nah just gimme a heads up and i can empty quote you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Tayter Swift posted:

i'd say go with software first, save some money (although you'll have to drop $200 on a DAW first, hm)

the DAW that i primarily use is Renoise which is really cool and powerful. when i paid for it it cost me ~$70 which is good for a full version release, which last took 10 years (and the price is less to renew a license). you can also script extensions on it with LUA which is p neat

Silver Alicorn posted:

if you just want to make some beep boops you can try out FamiTracker and make some NES-style chiptunes

it'll also prepare you for the world of amiga-style tracker programs

e. see also vividtracker for ios

Jonny 290 posted:

Yes. I'm going to make an effort post about trackers in the future. I only know a few other people irl who use it as their main daw but they're beastly with it.

e. if you're looking for a good daw on the go (iphone, android, whatever) i've had fun with sunvox which is also a modular synthesizer. pixitracker is made by the same people and looks pretty cute. for android milkytracker isn't a bad alternative.

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 20, 2015

• Locked thread