Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lucy seems like she could be a ray of sunshine in this godforsaken waterlogged hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Hey OP: I would strongly encourage you, off screen, to find the Chapel of Lights and make sure Mount Nomad spawns.

There is a bug in the current build of the game where Mount Nomad can fail to spawn if there are too many zee-creatures in the same area. You cannot complete the Father's Bones quest if Mount Nomad doesn't spawn.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Lunch with Cynthia. She sounds like she could be the most helpful.

Then, Venderbight.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Cynthia and Venderbight. Dramatic, is she? Lets have a dramatic start to the journey then.

I'm still hoping they're going to get the soundtrack of the game released soon; they've said it's on the way, but no set date yet. Sunless Sea actually has really good, atmospheric music and it adds a lot hearing some of it as you approach certain ports. Even London!

Edit: Actually, a question for the OP: are you playing this Captain with permadeath switched on or are you using manual saves? I ask only because I can think of a few places where not being able to retry stat checks would lock out a little bit of content, or places which have interesting stuff to read but probably/certainly kill your Captain in getting to them.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 22, 2015

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Coolguye posted:

Bug workaround

I did not know that. I'll get that done.

Meiteron posted:

I'm still hoping they're going to get the soundtrack of the game released soon; they've said it's on the way, but no set date yet. Sunless Sea actually has really good, atmospheric music and it adds a lot hearing some of it as you approach certain ports. Even London!

Edit: Actually, a question for the OP: are you playing this Captain with permadeath switched on or are you using manual saves? I ask only because I can think of a few places where not being able to retry stat checks would lock out a little bit of content, or places which have interesting stuff to read but probably/certainly kill your Captain in getting to them.

The London music is actually incredible. It is noticeably relaxing when you hear that come over your speakers after a long zee-trip.

I'm using manual saves, but mostly so I can ask questions in the middle of visiting a port. If Petra dies, she dies. And sometimes, failing stat checks changes content in memorable, if not positive, ways.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Black Wombat posted:

I did not know that. I'll get that done.
Do it sooner rather than later. The only thing you can do is start a fresh game if you've got an issue.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Coolguye posted:

Do it sooner rather than later. The only thing you can do is start a fresh game if you've got an issue.

Oh, don't worry, it's already done.

Speaking of things being done - I'll be collecting votes tomorrow at noon, which is about 14 hours from now. Next update will hit either tomorrow evening or Monday.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I vote Lucy
And Vanderblight It's a good place to go for a shakedown.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Black Wombat posted:

I honestly don't know if which of the Sisters you dine with, or what order you do it in on subsequent visits, changes the fate of Hunter's Keep... But perhaps it does.

It doesn't.

Lunch with Cynthia! She seems fun.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lucy seems a like-able sort.

Applying to zail, Captain as a female zailer. A failure, if you will.

Slaan's cooking methods were London Renowned for being delicious, quick and cheap. Unfortunately, she also became renowned for her.... ingredients, necessitating a quick departure.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Why can't we lunch with all three, when they are all home, I wonder. Do they keep drastically different hours? Do they have incompatible tastes in food? Do they try to kill each other over conversation topics?

But since we have to choose, let's lunch with Phoebe, she seems like our sort. Oh, and go to Venderblight. Dead or not, I'm sure these Tomb Colonists will appreciate our swiftness. They might have important business to take care of!

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Votes have been collected! Hopefully I'll be able to get the next journal entry done this evening. If not, it'll happen tomorrow.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Port Cecil always seems to spawn in the far east for me, so I don't know if you could make it there and back properly with your starting junk.
I just noticed this. It's worth pointing out that the higher power of more stately engines increases fuel consumption along with your speed in a basically linear fashion. Further, the weight of your vessel makes you move slower, and everything else in the game is at least twice as heavy as your starting tramp steamer, aside from a joke ship. You do save a little fuel still with upgraded engines for other reasons that I won't get into just yet, but the point is, upgrading your engine really doesn't do that much for you in terms of getting from point A to point B. In terms of pure exploration, your starting steamer is hands down the best ship in the game.

That said, you will still have to upgrade eventually, as the small hold will make it difficult to complete some objectives, and the tramp steamer's inability to mount the better weapons of the game will make it so difficult to hunt a lot of enemies that you might as well not bother.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Coolguye posted:

I just noticed this. It's worth pointing out that the higher power of more stately engines increases fuel consumption along with your speed in a basically linear fashion. Further, the weight of your vessel makes you move slower, and everything else in the game is at least twice as heavy as your starting tramp steamer, aside from a joke ship. You do save a little fuel still with upgraded engines for other reasons that I won't get into just yet, but the point is, upgrading your engine really doesn't do that much for you in terms of getting from point A to point B. In terms of pure exploration, your starting steamer is hands down the best ship in the game.

That said, you will still have to upgrade eventually, as the small hold will make it difficult to complete some objectives, and the tramp steamer's inability to mount the better weapons of the game will make it so difficult to hunt a lot of enemies that you might as well not bother.

Honestly I think that most people will fail by running out of fuel the first time through, it's the game's most punishing mechanic by far now. Terror barely builds in up (probably so fighting things isn't just an absolutely awful idea), but you spend a lot more time maneuvering; especially if you want to fight things. Plus getting more fuel outside London itself is an exercise in being gouged outside of a small number of ports. With only 10 fuel in the hold we won't be able to get much this trip, especially if we are going to the Chapel of Lights, though if Brimstone is nearby we can probably make Gaider's Mourn on the way back.

Also, similar to the above a larger crew eats supplies faster, but if your crew is below a certain percentage of your max you can't take your engines to full power. Bigger ships require bigger crews and more provisions to sustain them. You can also save a small amount of fuel by turning off your main light, though this will cause terror to build up very fast in most areas.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Thank you for the LP! I didn't manage to get a review copy of the game, so not-so-slippy seconds is a good way to enjoy it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

akulanization posted:

Also, similar to the above a larger crew eats supplies faster, but if your crew is below a certain percentage of your max you can't take your engines to full power. Bigger ships require bigger crews and more provisions to sustain them. You can also save a small amount of fuel by turning off your main light, though this will cause terror to build up very fast in most areas.
These are the sorts of mechanics I was going to leave alone since I imagine our OP will deal with them.

I can sperg out about this pretty heavily if requested, but I'm going to leave it until it's requested.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Entry two – Venderbight

The Journal of Petra Blackwood

November 30th, 1887 – Evening

The sisters were as all sisters all – especially ones kept in a small space. Contentious. Each invited me to lunch, but it was clear they were not interested in lunching with one another. I accepted Lucy's offer, in the end; if I am to walk among the dead in a few day's time, I don't need to start my depression early.

Oh look, one of the gods of the Zee has noticed us. That's good... sometimes. Also, if we'd had any Terror, this would have reduced it by up to 10.

She was a delight; I cannot imagine why a woman like her would choose to live out here, rather than in London. Surely she could have easily worked her charms at the salons in Veilgarden! But I suppose the same could be said of me.
When I returned to the ship, I found Grandalt finishing breaking up an argument. It seems that "Big Daddy" Jones and A.J. Kalan considered another of our zailors back luck – Helios, with his large sun tattoo. Zailors are such queer folk. They said the Zee would take offense at a zailor with an image of the surface engraved upon him. Helios, for his part, claimed the Sun had been denied him, and the least he could do to remember it was engrave it on his body.
Jones and A.J. were given an extra shift of furnace-stoking duty for the ruckus as we left Hunter's Keep.

There is here a small irregularity in the dates. Let's go ahead and chalk it up to the Zee being awfully mysterious, and not me having to do a bug work-around off camera.

December 8th, 1887 -

We had our first taste of real danger this afternoon. Galaxia was on watch and let up the call – A ship flying a black flag had been sighted to the north-west, and closing on us!

It was no real fighter. Honestly, it looked more like a tugboat someone had strapped a cannon too. And when they saw how much ship was attached to our deck lamp, they turned and started trying to avoid us.

And we know they've seen us. The bubble on the upper-left of their health bar tells us so – A blank one means they're blissfully unaware of us, a '?' means they've got some idea and are searching for us, a '!' means they know where we are, and a '!!!' means they're preparing to fire on us.

I was furious. As if I would let them get away and lay in wait for some other more helpless ship to come along! I ordered crew to battle positions and took my place at the helm. I don't knot a lot about naval tactics, but I knew this much; keep our ship where their gun isn't pointing, and their ship where our gun is. Seems easy enough. After a few short seconds, Grandalt reported we had a firing solution. I told them to take the shot.

This is seriously all ship v. ship in this game breaks down too. You can see the red arc of our deck gun; we can't see the enemy's arc, but it's similar. Keeping an enemy in that arc makes the bar around our gun fill, and when it's full, we can fire on them; It fills faster if we also keep them in the beam of our deck light. It's usually easy to stay behind our enemies and blast them to death with no return fire (until we get end-game, and enemy ships start having aft guns, but by then the damage those do to you will be negligible). BUT, since time doesn't stop in combat, you continue to consume fuel and supplies and gain terror. Some ships take long enough to kill that taking them out is still a losing proposition... Until we get better guns.

Also, sometimes we'll be outnumbered. That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Best to run.

The fight was short. The pinnace was outgunned and out-maneuvered. It never even fired a shot at us before we sent it to the deep.

As the wreckage broke apart, we sailed among it; I sent Kraken and 'Doc' Snark down to see what could be found.

They were able to salvage a supply of coal coke. Everything else the Zee claimed.

Whenever you sink a ship, you get a roll on a loot table specific to that ship. Two fuel is a fairly average haul. Larger ships, of course, can give much more and better loot – Some of it quite valuable, but fuel and supplies are the most common. Hunting pirates can help supplement stocks of those on long trips.

There was a certain jubilance among the crew as I ordered a stand-down from combat; we had been tested for the first time, I had proven myself as a captain, even if it was in a relatively low-danger situation. The Zee hadn't swallowed us whole for daring to have Helios aboard. As the engines returned to full-steam, I couldn't help but think nothing but good would come of this trip.

Whenever you defeat an enemy, you lose a little Terror. This is VERY important on long voyages.

December 9th, 1887 -

We entered the realm of the Tomb-Colonies today. We passed the southern end of Venderbight mid-morning, passing between Carissa's Point and Hornman's Stag. Beyond them, a beautiful old temple-complex sat on a lonely island, shrouded in mist. Such beauty. Such majesty. There is a stillness here that you can't find in London, and I can understand the appeal – especially to someone who's dead.

Not long after, we arrived at Venderbight. As we pulled into the harbor, I gave the order for our passenger to be dislodged from the cargo hold. We carried him down onto the dock and it was only then that he finally deigned to rise up and speak to us.

He had a further commission for us, to bring a friend of his here from the Mangrove Collage. I told him that should we ever pass that way, we would try to track her down. He seemed to think that wasn't good enough, and eventually refused to even pay for his passage to Venderbight until we'd brought this woman to him! Kraken said we should nail him back into his coffin and throw him into the Zee, but I didn't want to start making enemies this early in my career. I told him we'd find his woman, and parted ways. Such impertinence. I could have stayed home if I wanted to be treated like that.

In any case, I granted the crew the remainder of the day off. I'd always wanted to visit Venderbight. It is an ancient place. Older than London. Perhaps even older than the cities that came before London. I knew we would have to return to zee soon, but I shall try to pry a few secrets from this place before we go.

December 10th, 1887

Venderbight is everything I hoped it would be. Still, ancient, dusty, quiet. I visited the parlors and shops of the quarter open to the 'Silk-skins', as they call us, and learned what I could. Most of them were more eager to talk about the present than the past, but someone will care about this.

As I wandered Venderbight, I noticed a flyer saying that the First Curator sought Zee-captains for a job. I would have been a fool to have passed up this chance, to meet with one of the oldest and wisest colonists still... Alive, such as they are. I wore appropriate attire for meeting one of such a station, and then departed to his residence.

He seemed in far worse shape that I would have thought. He seemed as old as the colonies, as old as the mountains. And for the knowledge of such a being, I would do many things... But I had not been expecting to be asked to gather colors. Of course, I'd heard of the colors that only dwell in the Neath before; I can't say I've ever experienced them and it sounds like maybe the Curator hasn't, either. The only clue I was given was a copy of a children's book, the Neathbow. I can't say I've ever seen a copy of this in London. Perhaps this is banned? If it is, then this mission is far more interesting than it seems.

The Neathbow posted:

A wakes APOCYAN, the blue memory of brightest coral.
C lights COSMOGONE, the color of remembered suns. The fecund, the foetid, the fungal, these flourish in the glow of cosmogone.
G is lost in GANT, which remains when all other colors are eaten. Gant can be found where the shadows of myriad.
I is for IRRIGO. No one remembers why. Irrigo colors the forgotten corners of home.
P drowns in PELIGIN, the color of deepest Zee. On this page, someone has written 'BEYOND THE GATE THERE IS A SEA MORE SUNLESS'.
V marks VIOLANT when blood is shed in a spired place. Violant ink is used for the most desperate of treaties.
Behind your mirror, V names VIRIC, the color of shallow sleep.

With the book in hand, I decided to wander a little longer before returning to the ship. I had no real direction; I simply meandered among the ancient buildings. After some time, I became aware of a feeling of being watched. At first, I thought it must be the Colonists, but even when I was alone on a street I could not shake the feeling.

When I returned to the Correspondence, the crew told me a box left for us. None had seen who left it. It looks like a coffin, and knocks roused no motion inside, and it was properly nailed shut – so perhaps it wasn't some prank being played on a sleeping tomb-colonist. I was about to have my men open it when Meis pointed out it had delivery instructions. It was to be delivered to "Depot A, Station III". Well, I am no mail service, but I suspect whoever this belongs too would be irritated if I opened it. I will keep this box, and find this 'Station III', and have my answers.

As we all returned to our bunks, Grandalt reminded everyone to sleep with a candle lit nearby, or the Frost-Moths would climb down your throat looking for heat instead. The zailors took this warning to heart, and so did I; this was prudent. When I woke today, there were dozens of moths warming themselves on the light of my little flame. I shooed them away, but they did not scatter like I thought they would. Only when I extinguished the fire did they depart, with an indignity usually only found in princesses and cats.

We put out to zee early this morning. I'm setting a course to the east; We seek the Mourn, to collect information for the Admiralty. And should we find other places, well – They will have their secrets to give, as well.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well gently caress you too, coffin guy.

How much of a pain in the rear end is the colour quest? That looks to be annoying, considering our resource management.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 23, 2015

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

SSNeoman posted:

Well gently caress you too, coffin guy.

How much of a pain in the rear end is the colour quest? That looks to be annoying, considering our resource management.

It's really not too bad. Each color requires an item - sometimes one of several possible choices. And you can bring them one at a time - he pays for each separately. And he's serious when he says he'll pay well. It's totally worth the effort it takes.

I'll be expecting you all to keep an eye open for possible sources of the colors and to tell me to go back, when you think we have something.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Is there an actual time limit on this quest? Or any other, for that matter?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
drat it, seems like i managed to miss the application period to be a Zailor. Oh well, I will admit it now and hope that the current crew meets with, ehrm, unfortunate accidents.
This is me.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

When they said the First Curator, they meant the original. Dayum

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Thesaya posted:

drat it, seems like i managed to miss the application period to be a Zailor. Oh well, I will admit it now and hope that the current crew meets with, ehrm, unfortunate accidents.
This is me.

Mingling with devils ain't natural, ma'am. Brass Embassy be an evil place, mark me words.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

my dad posted:

Mingling with devils ain't natural, ma'am. Brass Embassy be an evil place, mark me words.

I actually got my soul back once. Then I realised it was just a bother, so I sold it again. The devils are delightful!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Selling your soul is no big deal, I did it eight times.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Try selling it to Mr Eaten one day. Maybe you'll learn his name?

Heliosmajestus
May 11, 2013
From the scribblings of Helios:

It happened again. Some zailors got a look at my Sun and threw a fit. Just because they have cast away the Surface does not mean I have. Thankfully, the boatswain and the captain were much more understanding, but this has not endeared me to Jones and A.J. They still throw me ugly looks when they think no one’s watching. But it’s alright! As long I have the Sun protecting me, I have nothing to fear from Salt, Storm and Stone. And maybe, just maybe, I will be able to see the Surface again. And feel the warm Sun on my skin, forever.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am feeling a bit discriminated against. I suppose you will start talking about me marrying a face steal.... ehr... I mean, a perfectly normal woman, soon.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Is it too late to sign up for Zailing duties? Because,if not, I'm throwing my name in the pot.

Edit: I mean I'd be willing to replace any...casualties that occur.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 23, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I certainly can't fault the game for being short on atmosphere.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
This has only just started off but it's already making me seriously consider picking the game up for myself. I'm a big fan of both roguelikes and lovecraft, and this seems to hit both of that at once.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

From the Journal of "Doc" Snark, Salvager:

Didn't have much to write about for the first few days on the zee, but these last few have been much more interesting.

So it turns out that Helios' name is much more symbolic than I thought-turns out he's believes that we'll see the Surface one day. Now I personally think that's a fool's hope, but I could care less about what others believe so long as they don't try preaching to me. Anyway, Jones and Kalan thought that having Helios on our ship was bad luck, and nearly got into a fight before Grandalt stepped in.

Now there's an interesting man. He's a bit uptight for my tastes, but he generally means well and wants to keep incidents like that from happening.

Anyway, we ended up blasting away a pathetically small pirate ship, and as it turns out blowing up pirates makes for an excellent bonding activity. It put an end to this whole "Helios" nonsense (for now). Kraken and I were able to salvage a decent amount of coke from the ship. It was nice to be underwater where it was quiet and away from most of the crew after all of that nonsense.

Then when we stopped by Venderbight, we picked up our newest "passenger"-a coffin. It was left by the ship, and I'll be damned if I know who dropped it off. I'm certain that we had at least a couple of people watching the docks, but it just...appeared from nowhere. drat thing's creeping me out, and I hope we drop it off soon...

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013

Glazius posted:

Well, I certainly can't fault the game for being short on atmosphere.

Atmosphere is what Failbetter games do. They're pretty much all atmosphere and grind.

Speaking of grind, this thread inspired me to start a new Fallen London character (since I forgot everything about my previous one). Here's to hoping they streamlined the process.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Journal of Grandalt Nodington

Well, it wouldn't be a voyage if there weren't some friction among the crew. There was a fight with two crewmen proclaiming another to be bad luck. What foolishness. As if we could get another crew member so easily out in the zea. So I had to reprimand them which the captain supported. We arrived at Venderbight, after dealing with a would-be pirate. After taking seeing our passenger off, I took a little time to resupply my tea supply, which is why I was absent when someone bought aboard another coffin, but no one knows who or what is in it. Well, once at land again there comes a few hazards, so a little reminder to the crew is in order.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Nuramor posted:

Is there an actual time limit on this quest? Or any other, for that matter?

The game does track how many days have passed, but I don't think any quests have fail states related to that. Some do get harder as time goes on, however - and some quests do have a 'Don't come back without finishing this' and they mean it.

Ephemeron posted:

Selling your soul is no big deal, I did it eight times.

You'll be happy to know, you can do it in this game, too. Although, as far as I know, not to devils, oddly enough. Petra seems like the type who might not mind parting with it.

ousire posted:

This has only just started off but it's already making me seriously consider picking the game up for myself. I'm a big fan of both roguelikes and lovecraft, and this seems to hit both of that at once.

You're very much the target audience. The gameplay is kinda 'meh', and really requires you to game the system in order to get ahead - but that's sort of the appeal of roguelikes, isn't it? Fallen London is wonderfully Lovecraftian, however, and very worth exploring, as is the Unterzee.

Part of me wishes they'd just made a CYOA-style game, though. That really seems to be where their hearts are.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The problem with the Roguelike part is that the start is tedious and the stories aren't different enough to give you ridiculous amount of replayability or emerging gameplay, which is what roguelikes excel at.

Black Wombat posted:

Part of me wishes they'd just made a CYOA-style game, though. That really seems to be where their hearts are.

This.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
Entry three – Discovering Pigmote

The Journal of Petra Blackwood

December 10th, 1887

As my crew finish final preparations to depart, I paid one last visit ashore. I wanted to assess if Venderbight would be a place we could refuel and restock, if we needed too.

A new update hit today! That 'Monstrous Almanac' is new to me. Exciting!

I discovered a place that would pay well for those bringing stories from distant places, and another place where a tomb-colonist would sell me what my ship needed to keep going at a premium. While it's nice to know I can restock here, I hope I never need too.

After being out to zee only a short time, a call went out from the upper deck – Bats. As I emerged from my quarters, I saw the crew already getting into combat positions. Grandalt told me the lookout had spotted a swarm of blood-sucking bats descending towards the Correspondence. Fortunately, our ship is equipped to deal with this; I gave the order to prepare our grapeshot, and the men got ready.

The little flying vermin dove upon our ship, but the crew was ready for them, and fended the beasts away. They attempted to flee into the darkness for another pass, but I did not let them. We pursued them closely until the cannon was loaded and a second shot killed enough that the swarm disbanded.

Ship v. monster combat is fairly similar to ship v. ship, except that instead of firing a gun, a monster will charge you when it has a firing solution. There's a very simple way to deal with this; their charge has a minimum range. Plow into them. Stick to them and do not let go. You can defeat almost every zee-beast (with a few notable exceptions) like this without taking damage, except possibly one charge on the way in, if you can pull it off – they'll try to juke you, but usually not very well.

The remains of our battle were littered all over the deck. The crew seemed rather put-off by it all, but I saw it as an opportunity. I ordered the zailors to collect them and bring them to the galley. There was some grumbling, but they went along with it. Fresh meat – especially meat that isn't fish – is rare out here, and I think the unpleasantness of having to deal with all the little carcasses will be made up for by the taste of real meat.

The whole event reminded me of another tool we had at our disposal. I ordered our bat-keeper, Kalan, to fetch our zee-bat and send it out. It returned a short time later, letting us know there was no-place worth stopping nearby.

When exploring new areas, the zee-bat is your best friend. It can be dispatched at will, and is the little bat-button on the lower control bar. You can see it zipping off to the east in the first image, and returning from the south-west in the second. If there's a port nearby, it has a chance to notice it and tell you what direction it's in, even mark it on your map! The larger the port, the higher the chance of the bat seeing it, and the farther it sees it from.

We continued west.

December 10th, near midnight

I was awoken by the night watch shouting an alarm near a place I was later told is named Lick-a-monkey crag. A crab had been sighted.

It was enormous, and I had no desire to fight it. I ordered a the deck light to be turned off, in hopes that we could slip away under cover of darkness. As large as it was, it was also slow and lumbering. Without our deck light on, it lost track of us, and we slipped away into the night.

I had heard many stories of monsters out at zee, but seeing one for the first time is a real experience! That creature was nearly as large as our ship. I should return to sleep, but am writing this instead, while the memory is fresh in my mind. There is a sigil for beasts like that. "A creature so large/dangerous/unusual seeing it changes one's opinions". Now I understand what that means a little better.

December 11th, 1887. Early morning.

We spotted land early this morning. The island, called Pigmote island, is strange; it looks inhabited, from a distance, but there was no town to greet us at the docks. Instead, there was something far more unusual.

Two warrior nations of rodents both desired the aid of myself and my crew. I could make a valuable ally here, if I chose wisely – if it was worth the effort at all.

Okay, decision time! Do we side with the regal Cavies, or the ingenious Rattus Faber?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Attempt to Broker Peace

Try and slip an option by, will you.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Rattus Faber could be very, very useful allies to us. They build guns! And can repair anything technological! I don't see these ...runaway lab animals being of comparable use.

And I don't think either side is inclined to peace. Especially a peace insisted upon by a bumbling giant stranger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Attempt to broker Peace

Unless the chance to succeed is chancy or worse. Then side with the Rattus Faber.

• Locked thread