Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JosephWongKS posted:

That is indeed a rather terrible condition to suffer. Is this an actual thing that exists in the real world?

It is actually. Though it normally only happens to people that are completely blind. So, still doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JosephWongKS posted:

Is there a stereotype that “wise old men” are supposed to be “Oriental”?

Only if you're in a martial arts movie.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Added Space posted:

Mules, ligers, and other crossbreeds are not viable because they cannot reproduce. Such animals are sterile and cannot produce children, even with the opposite gender of the same crossbreed.

Ahem.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not in the same way that doing experiments and testing ideas is.

Eliezer Eliezarry's approach is ultimately (and possibly surprisingly) rather unscientific; he rarely actually tries things out, instead preferring to guess and speculate.

Helps of course that his guesses and speculation are always correct.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Krotera posted:

Wasn't this sort of thing exactly what he acted like a hardass with Hermione for? He has two theories which aren't together exhaustive, and since he's proven it wasn't one he's assumed it was the other.

Pretty much yes.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JosephWongKS posted:

Was there a Penelope Clearwater in the canon series, or is this an Original Character of Eliezer?

She was mentioned as Percy's girlfriend, but I don't believe she ever got any screen time.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

DmitriX posted:

No, because "damage" is just a more major shift if you think about it. And if it pulled them away from wherever they are that could cause a great deal of other problems...
I presume that if someone turned you into a loaf of bread and then just sorta squuezed you a bunch, then even if all of the bread was retained, you would come out mishappen as a result.

Why? It rearranges all of your molecule's compositions and locations both to transfigure and untransfigure (detransfigure?) anyway, why would anything carry over?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tiggum posted:

Avadra Kedavra is hard to even justify as self defence, because if you can use it then you probably have non-lethal options available to you as well, given that you have a wand and can speak.

It's impossible to justify for self defense because it requires proper intent to cast. "I want this person not to hurt me" or "I want to protect myself" wouldn't do it. It specifically requires a mindset of "I want the person I'm casting this on dead." Same with the other Unforgivable Curses.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
That right there is the exact point where I just gave up and stopped reading. I managed to hang on this long by assuming it would get better due to all the rave reviews, but this scene is just too goddamn stupid for anything to justify it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tunicate posted:

Also moody's replacement bits are more functional than his original ones.

He's a magitek cyborg.

His eye is anyway. He leg is never implied to be anything but a standard peg.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

JosephWongKS posted:

As a former Death Eater, Snape was kind of like an assassin for Voldemort, so the epithet is accurate.

Except that he really wasn't. At all.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

divabot posted:

If you're into HP fic and you want a Harrymort who sucks less, there's a nice crackfic called Seventh Horcrux (that's the index page) which is a moment's amusement.

quote:

Hermione pouted. “So, that means we don’t need to brew an illegal potion with stolen ingredients, knock out three of our classmates, tie them up in a closet, sneak into the Slytherin Common Room, and interrogate Malfoy?”

I gaped at her. “Was that your plan?”

I fear that Hermione may be the most evil of us all. That is concerning since I am a retired Dark Lord.

Yes. This will do.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pvt.Scott posted:

I think JK is doing it on purpose, or this is a dummy script to generate furor. Who cares? It's her property. She deserves a chance to poo poo on it.

Probably. I mean lets be honest, the whole series has always been more about making her a dump truck full of money than telling a good story.

Which personally I respect. Woman found a way to make herself pants shittingly rich without hurting anyone else and maybe even improved the world a little bit. Good on her.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cavelcade posted:

I dunno that seems pretty unfair given the fact that she's done nothing but give away her money since she got it, to the point where she's no longer a billionaire.

Also the story is a really good kid's story, it's pretty hilarious to pretend like it isn't. We aren't talking about Twilight here.

I did say she's improved the world a little bit with her dump truck of money. And yeah, it's a pretty good story, I just don't think telling a good story was a higher priority than making loads of money. She's businesswoman before she's a writer, that's not a bad thing. Especially since, as you said, she spends a lot of the money she makes on charities.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

HIJK posted:

I could have gone my whole life without reading this

But what kind of life would it have been?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Added Space posted:

He's also referencing a common Voltaire quote:

I really feel like you're giving him too much credit here.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

quote:

An open question. Harry wouldn't let his mind see something false, and so he didn't see anything, like the part of his visual cortex getting that signal was just ceasing to exist. There was a blind spot under the cloak. Harry couldn't know what was under there.

In a rare moment of self realization Yud discovers that he litterally cannot see things that contradict his world-view.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Xander77 posted:

How much of the whole Occlumens / Leggimens / Veritaserum is in HP, and how much created specifically to stop any investigations from starting and ending with "just make him drink some truth juice and tell us everything"?

None of it. Exactly none of it.

Mazerunner posted:

-memory is fallible thanks to magic, which means veritaserum (and pensieve memories) are untrustworthy. Obliviate can remove memories, and there's a spell that can add false ones (what Hermione used on her parents). A guilty person could use those two spells to have no memory of committing a crime, and a memory of their alibi (or to frame someone else for a crime). Although doing stuff like this seems to leave signs if not done perfectly (like in Slughorn's memory of telling Riddle about Horcruxes).

We saw someone, the aforementioned Slughorn, try that. It was absurdly obvious.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Xander77 posted:

Then Quirrell casts 30 spells to ensure their privacy which... I'm not much of an author, but a powerful wizard trying to relate a secret should really settle things with 1-3 spells. 30 goes past "expert in security", past "paranoid" and into purely ineffectual.
Actually, the rule is "don't turn into a giant snake. It never helps". No one bothers to explain what exactly is the advantage (except for the contrived specific set of circumstances below) that's worth risking going to Azkaban.
Good thing we never bothered to explain how and why Parselmouths work, so that this doesn't directly contradict anything.
This is actually getting into the central conflict of the story, such as it. It only took us 50 chapters to start moving towards it.

Why exactly did he decide that snakes talk like cavemen? Snakes are quite erudite in the books. And even if they were too stupid to speak with proper grammar, why would that cause Harry and Quirrell to stop doing so?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Xander77 posted:

Shouldn't HPMOR's far more rational and prepared Aurors just blast whoever else was present with a stun spell (since those are easy to cast and have no ill effects)

They do cause damage actually. Not much, but McGonagall took half a dozen at once in one of the books and ended up in the hospital, with people honestly surprised that it hadn't killed her outright.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Yudkowsky posted:

people who stopped to think didn't spring very good ambushes.
Okay, It's possible that he doesn't actually know what an ambush is.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Wasn't Draco actually planning to rape and murder her though?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MikeJF posted:

(Aberforth confronted Dumbledore about Grindelwald, Grindelwald attacked Aberforth, Dumbledore came to his defense, the whole thing turned into a major duel, and his sister was caught in the crossfire

Plus their sister might have actually been part of the fight and was possibly killed in self defense. It's implied by the supplement books that she was an Obscurial, someone that had lost control of their magic due to childhood abuse and would turn into a massive monster that wrecked everything around it when stressed out.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Roadie posted:

So... reinventing sati?

Sati is part of a religion and therefore retarded not rational.

This is obviously totally different because Yud said so.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

I got curious and checked the Potter wiki. Turns out they're just third cousins. Harry's great-grandmother was one Dorea Black. I've read somewhere that this is about the same degree of genetic similarity you would have to any random person anywhere in the world, on average, so I guess it doesn't come to much except for the ick factor of knowing how closely related they are at all.

Not even that actually. Somewhere in Harry's ancestry is Charlus Potter, who married Dorea Black, but it's not stated specifically where. His great grandfather was Henry Potter, who married a woman whose first name was never mentioned, and was the last member of the Fleamont family. Which is why Harry's grandfather's first name was Fleamont, as a nod to his mother's family. Which I only know because I was curious as to why in the hell someone would name a child Fleamont.

Ron Weasley is actually closer related to the Blacks than Harry (his grandmother got kicked out of the family for marrying a Weasley)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tiggum posted:

I haven't read the book, but the stuff you quoted seems to indicate that they don't have any specific rules about keeping magic secret, they just might, on a case by case basis, consider someone knowing too much to be a threat and react accordingly?

Specifically they keep things that any idiot could do without needing magical talent secret, because that poo poo's dangerous to everybody. No one needs some rear end in a top hat to summon the Crawling Chaos in downtown Manhattan.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

You heard it here first.

Sadly, not even close to the first place I heard it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Xander77 posted:

Chapter 101: Precautionary Measures, Pt 2

Harriezer is still throwing a tantrum in the forbidden forest when Firenze (?) trots along. Harriezer immediately assholes about astrology:

Which, you know, is slightly less dumb that his attitude towards other types of magic that fail to coform to his preconceived (and thus obviously correct) notions.

Anyways, Firenze attacks him.

You know, out of all of that, I'll I can think is "If someone was trying to kill you with a spear, they probably wouldn't only use the blunt end. It's not a weapon for beating someone to death."

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

Dunno. In this particular situation? Maybe. I'm general, I'm not so sure. Europe doesn't have 'at will' employment and teachers get special protection. It's not just expected that someone can and will eventually get hurt in shop class, it's a guarantee, no matter how many reasonable precautions you take. You don't fire people for minor accidents that effectively unavoidable in the long run.

Hagrid is a groundskeeper and Filch is a janitor.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tiggum posted:

That is not how copyright works. The rights holder can basically allow or disallow whatever copies and derivative works they want under whatever terms they want, and they can change their mind at any time.

Yes, but if it's done without the copyright holder specifically allowing it then the copyright can be challenged on that basis, as they are no longer the sole provider of works falling under that copyright.

edit: Jesus loving christ the loving donations these idiots are funding though.

quote:

($70,000): A major expansion of the Metaculus prediction platform and its community
A forum for cerclejerking about how you're so rational you can predict the future.

quote:

($40,000): Scaling up scenario role-play for AI strategy research and training; improving the pipeline for new researchers
Post apocalyptic LARPing.

quote:

($20,000): Performing independent research in collaboration with John Salvatier
Pay my PA's salary.

quote:

($70,000): Building infrastructure for the future of effective forecasting efforts
Buy me a server.

quote:

($25,000): Supporting aspiring researchers of AI alignment to boost themselves into productivity
Buy us a round of drinks.

quote:

($30,000): A research agenda rigorously connecting the internal and external views of value synthesis
Buzzword gibberish.

quote:

($27,000): Building infrastructure to give X-risk researchers superforecasting ability with minimal overhead
Also buy me a server.

quote:

($20,000): Working to prevent burnout and boost productivity within the EA and X-risk communities
Also buy us some drinks.

quote:

($50,000): An offline community hub for rationalists and EAs
Buy me a whole drat bar.

quote:

($39,000): Producing video content on AI alignment
I'm gonna be a youtube star.

quote:

($30,000): Formalizing perceptual complexity with application to safe intelligence amplification
Pay me enough and I can totally make you smarter.

quote:

($30,000): Broad project support for rationality and community building interventions
Slush fund.

quote:

CFAR ($150,000): Unrestricted donation
Slush fund.

quote:

($50,000): Unrestricted donation
Slush fund.

quote:

($50,000): Unrestricted donation
Slush fund.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 9, 2019

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tunicate posted:

I disagree that is actually pretty funny

I mean, the whole thing was kicked off in support of a woman who killed herself with the express intent of using her suicide as a weapon against sexual abusers in the rationalist community.

Maybe a little respect.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

What I really meant was that I think the people, as in the actual characters shown in the story, behave and think and act in a way that I could believe real people would, if put into their situation. The heroes aren't like comicbook characters, not even the grim and edgy ones. Even the villains have this sense of banal, human evil to them, which is something I really liked. Like, I could point you at a hundred people who probably only didn't end up as a Jack Slash or what have you for lack of having a trauma-induced superpower dropped into their lap.

The state of the world in Worm makes far more sense when you realize that the inner circle of the conspiracy that's manipulating everything consists of four people with absolutely zero qualifications (Contessa was a little girl, Doctor was literally just the person that happened to be there, Alexandria and Eidolon were random teenage ICU patients that were chosen completely at random) and one guy who A: Is a psychopath and B: Really just does their accounting.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

PupsOfWar posted:

why did a guy go "Welp, I guess I'll have to write a version of Harry Potter where Harry is a hyper-pragmatic manipulator" when Sabriel already exists

What? Are you sure you're thinking of the right thing?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

Sabriel is more like backwards Harry Potter: girl goes away from boarding school to learns about friendship and magic. And then she looks for her dad or... something? I gotta admit, I don't really remember. Has absolutely nothing otherwise in common with HPMOR, though.

Girl at non-magical boarding school finds out her dad is dead (for a given value of dead given that they're a family of Necromancers) and instantly leaves to go find who killed her dad and find out if she can bring him back to life. Total time spent in school is negligible and had nothing to do with the actual school.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

Keys to the Kingdom certainly isn't bad, but it's also very noticeably young adult.

Honestly Garth Nix is mostly worth reading just for examples of settings that are actually somewhat unique instead of ripping poo poo off without being so dense that they're impossible to understand.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it's not too different from that, really. A lot of posts in this thread go into how this story really fails at its own premise (the whole "scientifically investigating magic" angle) and instead quickly becomes nothing more than an extended power trip for the author self-insert. It tends to appeal largely to people who can identify with that to some degree.

Speaking as a decades long connoisseur of terrible fanfic: This is terrible even by the standards of extended power trips for author self-inserts.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

90s Cringe Rock posted:

But at least it's not the Salvation War.

Now, give thanks to the person who compiled those threads into ebook format, causing the author to abandon the third book in the series before it began.

Praise be!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Tunicate posted:

Didnt salvation war have bill clinton defeat some demons in 1v1 combat?

He walked out of a McDonalds after his morning jog, grabbed a shotgun from his Secret Service detail's car and blew a succubus' head off while she was enthralling his bodyguards.

When asked how he'd seen through her illusions he said that of course he could recognize a soul sucking bitch from hell, he'd been married to Hillary for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Iron Rose posted:

Did you know that the yud has a Twitter and worm opinions

https://twitter.com/ESYudkowsky/status/1170022426891018240?s=20

Okay, trying to follow that line of reasoning actually made my head hurt

edit: does he just not know what "empirical" means?