Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Monocled Falcon posted:

This chapter doesn't seem to have anything to do any "Methods of Rationality". The first chapters read a bit like an episode of the magic school bus about social science, but this weird game and the bullying thing have nothing to do with or even any of the Less Wrongisms I'm aware of.
Don't be willfully dense - dealing with bullies is a standard part of the bildungsroman / Ender's game formula. A story which consisted of nothing but "Less Wrongisms" and lectures about them, omitting an actual plot, would be even more insufferable than what we got.

Mind, the bullying thing goes off into some goddamned stupid directions later on. But still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

divabot posted:

Woolie Wool posted this over in the Dark Enlightement thread. I think it sums up an essential problem with HPMOR: these people don't actually like, but loathe and fear, art and culture (that doesn't reinforce their self-image).
Huh. What's the "Culture is a Cathedral" business all about? My first association is The Doomed City speech, (which I took to heart quite a bit at the age of twelve) but I rather doubt "Rationalist" experience with cultural analysis, even couched in sci-fi signifiers, is quite so extensive.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

chrisoya posted:

Oh, gently caress a pig, it's this class. I forgot about this one. The Ender's Game reference was a warning. Not the Battle School thing they set up later, just Harry being all I FIGHT TO UTTERLY DESTROY THE ENEMY hard-man-doing-hard-things.
Oh hey. I'm just reading the Short and Snappy readthrough of Ender's game, and for once the psychological plausibility of both the original and the homage are equal - none. Both works take a complex that would work as a result of the events of the book - or of several books, in HP's case - and have it already in place for a well off young boy from a fairly regular middle-class background. For once, MoR is actually slightly more plausible - Harry is 11, rather than 6.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 12, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Someone pointed out that the Rowlingverse has a very weird Calvinistic vibe to it in general.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

I’d argue that Quirrell’s scheme seems like a good way to set the students at each others’ throats, but that’s actually in keeping with canon Hogwarts, with its House points and House cup and the constant exaltations by the House-Masters and House-Mistresses to their students to beat the other Houses.
No. This is one of those ideas that are way more Less Wrongish / Techno-Libertarian and clashes very directly with the House system.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tiggum posted:

So what was the lesson and how did Harry dodge it?
Violence is good / necessary, and following orders from Voldermort is a good thing.

Edit - this is a fairly bad book, which conveys a bad philosophy and is utterly inconsistent about its themes and worldbuilding. However, reading it three paragraphs at a time, instead of chapter by chapter, and trying to come up with the worst possible interpretation for those paragraphs is a bad practice which contributes to the thread going full retard.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 26, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Kinda sad that Eliezer, in his late-twenties or early thirties (whenever it was that he wrote this chapter), is still stuck in a “jock vs nerds” mindset.
It's not even an international thing, as it barely applies outside the States. Not a British thing, as far as I can tell.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

He’s probably thinking of using his Time-Turner to pull off whatever he intends to pull off, but I can’t see how he’s going to get from Time/Point A to Time/Point B with everyone looking on. The last few times he’s used the Time-Turner, he was by himself.
One of us isn't quite following the "Time Turner" thing.

Supposing he uses the TT, it would go something like:

Harry and Goyle face off. Within a few seconds or a minute, Harry produces the Rememberall, ending the contest and moving on. Once that's done, he has all day to find a private spot, turn back time, and contrive a plan that will transfer the Rememberall into Past!Harry's possession. P!H doesn't have to do anything, much less use the TT during the contest itself.

That's the beauty of time travel as a solve-all fixer. Eliminates every problem and every hint of tension.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The arbitrary, needlesly elaborate, overtly detailed loving chapters and chapters devoted to transfiguration may not be the worst parts of the book, per-se, but they are surely the most boring.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

^ That seems like a basis for a good story.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

All of the idiots who brag about their 1600 SAT scores and 2.8 GPA and refuse to study who then work some really lovely undergrad coding job would get sorted into Ravenclaw because they value intelligence, even if they're not actually "smart". Neville's whole deal (iirc, its been a while since I read HP) is that he really, really wants to be brave even if he isn't, so he gets in to Gryffindor.
Nah. The house system in the original is poo poo (not even going into HP's weird Calvinistic predestination morality), and the sorting of the heroes (edit - an actually putting some minimal thought into things so that each house has a set of virtues that are ostensibly apparent in the story) in this fanfic is one of the few storytelling improvements that makes complete sense.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 14, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The original is really simple. There's a house for smart people. Unless they're heroic smart people, in which case they go into the heroic house. There's a house for the bad guys. And then there's the house for everyone else. Makes perfect sense, really.

Any kind of thought given to the issue, any sort of differentiation between the houses, sorting the heroes into different houses and (ostensibly) making a point about cooperation - pretty much anything is an improvement.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

Rowling took the Time-Turner from Hermione by the end of Book 2; is Eliezarry going to keep his for the rest of the series?[/b]
3, aka "the first book it appeared in".

Actually, I might say that it's underutilized.

*Gasp* *Shock* *Horror*

But seriously. When such a game-breaking item as "go back in time at will" is introduced, and you actually drawn attention to it in your fanfic, you'll need to either:

1. Fanwank some sort of a reason for why the time turner can't be used to pretty much do everything and anything, then move on with the goddamned story.

2. Roll with it, and just focus the story around the time turner, and how Harry uses it to take over the universe or whatever.

Eliezer starts going with option 2 for a while but (just like every goddamned plot thread and theme, introduced and soon abandoned) quickly lets it go, and large portions of the later story forget about time-turners or hastily explain why they can't be used.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

MoR repudiates pretty much every valid moral lesson taught by the HP series, from the power of friendship onwards. It's seriously like a genuine attempt to craft a values system as repugnant as possible. Ayn Rand-esque, really.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So basically, Yud was spoiled rotten (literally) by his parents, and being quite satisfied with the creature he turned out to be, he now believes that is exactly the best way to treat "precocious" children.

Also, I wonder how many of Harriezer's techniques for influencing people he actually used in establishing his own little cult.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I get that Yud has really weird ideas about what science is, but how and why would Harriezer - the son of an actual scientist - would grow up thinking that science "started" during the Enlightenment?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Harriezer said that 1904 was "more than two centuries after science had gotten started". The Scientific Revolution is generally considered to encompass the developments between Galileo (early-mid 17th century) and Newton (late 17th century). Looks fine to me.
300 years at least (more often cited as starting with Copernicus, so more like 450). That's even assuming that "Science!" emerging as a distinct discipline is the same thing as "science had gotten started", which... no.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 6, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I think this thread needs a constant "how thing actually works IRL vs how Yudkowsky thinks it works" section. Specifically one for the bullying theme, which is wrong on... I don't even know how many levels, but also in general.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

I'm always the idiot who likes the character everyone in the fandom hates. Shinji in Neon Genesis Evangalion? Carth Onassi in KOTOR? Boring Psychic dude/ and Ashley in the first Mass Effect? This guy. What's wrong with a character that has issues and really isn't into whatever the setting's bullshit is?
If you are, then you're literally the first person I've ever interacted with to like Ron. The whole spiel earlier in the thread is hella stupid, because you don't need to be "kind of person to..." with any further qualifiers (besides "the kind of person who read Harry Potter") to dislike him.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Terrible confession time - I actually like all the battle school stuff. It makes for decent character development for the rest of the cast. It's actually superior to the (in retrospect, actually quite terrible) original, insofar as its not about a lone super-genius in a school full of ostensible geniuses winning the day by daring to (gasp!) come up with the most basic imaginable innovations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Poor thread, getting abandoned over and over. This is a big old chapter, and kind of daunting to tackle, so I'm cutting it in half.

Chapter 30: Working in Groups, Pt 1

J. K. Rowling if a man tries to bother you, you can think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe.

(I actually missed the reference, and had to google. Cordwainer Smith, apparently. Not a fan)

Time to get our battle school on.

HPMOR posted:

The day was Sunday, November 3rd, and soon the three great powers of their school year, Harry Potter, Draco Malfoy, and Hermione Granger, would begin their struggle for supreme dominance.

(Harry was slightly annoyed by the way the Boy-Who-Lived had been demoted from supreme dominance to one of three equal rivals just by entering the contest, but he expected to get it back soon.)

The battleground was a section of non-Forbidden forest, dense with trees, because Professor Quirrell thought that being able to see all the enemy forces was too boring even for your very first battle.

All the students who were not actually in a first-year army were camped out nearby and watching on screens that Professor Quirrell had set up. Except for three Gryffindors in their fourth year, who were currently sick and confined to healer's beds by Madam Pomfrey. Aside from that, everyone was there.

1. Who are the Gryffindors? A reference to something that happened earlier in the fanfic / books? A more obscure reference of some sort?

2. Why is everyone watching? Seriously. I get why Yud the heroes might want everyone to see them triumph in carefully calculated exact same measure fail horribly, but why would anyone not in the armies watch?

People in the battle school watch... well, not the games, IIRC, but the scoreboard, because they're all part of some army. People in the HP universe watch Quidditch for the same reason we watch any sport - team loyalty, be it to a house or a country. But (spoiler alert) we're going to find out the armies are all composed of a mix from every house, so that's not it.

I suppose our heroes are is the most interesting student in the school, and every single other student is fascinated by his exploits. Sure.

quote:

The students were dressed, not in their ordinary school robes, but in Muggle camouflage uniforms that Professor Quirrell had obtained somewhere and supplied in sufficient quantity and variety to fit everyone.

And on each uniform's breast, a patch bearing the name and insignia of your army. A small patch. If you wanted your soldiers to wear, say, colored ribbons so that they could identify each other at a distance, and risk the enemy getting their hands on the ribbons, that was all up to you.

This is the image that greets you on the HPmor homepage:

Voldermort's army. Creepier than the author intended, probably.

Harriezer is forced to allow Draco to command the Dragon army (get it?), thus crushing his long-held dreams of cosplaying as a manipulated, maladjusted, under-aged genocidal serial-killer. At least in that respect. Draco's army wear an "understated and elegant" fire insignia. His troops use Auror battle formations in a defensive perimeter around himself, which (rushing ahead) work for adults who have been training to fight specifically in that formation for years, covering each other and the like. Harriezer uses this as a lesson about following traditions or "how things are done" without really considering why things are done that way, and how they ought to change in your particular context.

Hermione commands the Sunshine army, wearing a smilie insignia. Their "we're so nice" gimmick is actually fairly neat.

Skipping over a Star Wars reference, Harriezer goes with "Chaos Legion", wearing the insignia of snapping fingers, because of course they are. His soldiers are encouraged to use their initiative and disregard his orders, unless he prefaces them with "Merlin Says". Even with that little caveat:

quote:

Fast. Creative. Unpredictable. Non-homogenous. Don't just obey orders, think about whether what you're doing right now makes sense.

Harry wasn't quite as sure as he'd pretended that this was the optimum of military efficiency... but he'd been given a golden opportunity to change how some students thought about themselves, and that was how he intended to use it.

Yeah, that's not a thing Harriezer would do. It's a thing Ender would do, because he (ostensibly) values his soldiers and does not explicitly think of them as NPCs in a videogame. Yud Harriezer, on the other, very much does not want people "define their identity" so as to think for themselves, in battle or outside it - he wants them to follow his orders like good puppets, buy into his worldview, and let him do whatever he wants. So if Draco and Hermione are true to their characterization in this fanfic, Harriezer is true to Ender's characterization and will (spoiler alert) drop the whole "freedom" thing the moment it is introduced.

Harriezer reflects that Quirrel's "arbitrarily" composing the armies from different houses reflects the Robbers Cave experiment. In Yud's version of events, the two groups became hostile to each other merely due to being separated into distinct groups, rather than due to competing for limited resources (the other members of each army besides the generals don't really have a stake in the conflict, besides the prestige, which... see above about why anyone would care or watch). Also, Harriezer completely fails to consider why the arbitrary division into Houses exists in the first place. (Then again, in the HPMOR universe, it's ostensibly a bit less arbitrary)

Anyways, the idea that the armies will now form distinct and new group identities based on arbitrary division leads Harriezer to conclude that:

quote:

Professor Quirrell, despite his affected Dark atmosphere and his pretense of neutrality in the conflict between Good and Evil, was secretly backing Good, not that Harry would ever dare say that out loud.

Meanwhile, Draco is told:

quote:

that if he wanted to be the first Malfoy to gain complete political control of the country, he needed to learn how to govern the other three-quarters of the population. It was things like this which reassured Draco that Professor Quirrell had a great deal more sympathy for the good guys than Professor Quirrell was letting on.
Which is moderately clever.

Both sides expect Hermione to attack Draco, then Harriezer will get to mop up the remains, maybe rescuing her in the process. I wonder how this first battle will actually unfold. Also, this kid's movie I'm watching has just had a girl join the sports team (there's no rule against it!) and I'm pretty sure she's going to suck at sports.

Anyways, here's Harriezer's full speech to his troops (Draco's is literally "stay by your mates, and do as we practiced", which I rather like, and we're not privy to Hermione's). Like a lot of MOR stuff, it starts out semi-interesting, and then just drags on. Feel free to point out any references:

So random! XD posted:

My troops, I'm not going to lie to you, our situation today is very grim. Dragon Army has never lost a single battle. And Hermione Granger... has a very good memory. The truth is, most of you are probably going to die. And the survivors will envy the dead. But we have to win this. We have to win this so that someday, our children can enjoy the taste of chocolate again. Everything is at stake here. Literally everything. If we lose, the whole universe just blinks out like a light bulb. And now I realize that most of you don't know what a light bulb is. Well, take it from me, it's bad. But if we have to go down, let's go down fighting, like heroes, so that as the darkness closes in, we can think to ourselves, at least we had fun. Are you afraid to die? I know I am. I can feel those cold shivers of fear like someone is pumping ice cream into my shirt. But I know... that history is watching us. It was watching us when we changed into our uniforms. It was probably taking pictures. And history, my troops, is written by the victors. If we win this, we can write our own history. A history in which Hogwarts was founded by four renegade house elves. We can make everyone study that history, even though it isn't true, and if they don't answer the right way on our tests... they'll fail the class. Isn't that worth dying for? No, don't answer that. Some things are better left unknown. None of us know why we're here. None of us know why we're fighting. We just woke up in these uniforms in this mysterious forest, knowing only that there was no way to get our names and memories back except victory. The students in those other armies out there... they're just like us. They don't want to die. They're fighting to protect each other, the only friends they have left. They're fighting because they know they have families who'll miss them, even if they can't remember now. They may even be fighting to save the world. But we have a better reason to fight than they do. We fight because we like it. We fight to amuse eldritch monstrosities from beyond Space and Time. We fight because we're Chaos. Soon the final battle will begin, so let me say now, because I won't get a chance later, that it was an honor to be your commander, however briefly. Thank you, thank you all. And remember, your goal isn't just to cut down the enemy, it's to make them afraid!

Both Dragon and Chaos send out broomstick reconnaissance teams. They return with the news that Hermione had divided her forces in two, including the broomsticks, and is attacking both armies.

quote:

Then Harry realized.

She's being fair.

It was going to be a long year in Defense class.

Then Draco realized.

It's a feint.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 27, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 30: Working in Groups, Pt 1 (Pt 2)

Neville is in Harry's army, obviously:

quote:

Harry had said quite a lot of things to Neville in private, starting with "You know, Neville, if you want to become as awesome as the imaginary Neville who lives in your head but isn't allowed to do anything because you're scared, then you really should sign up for Professor Quirrell's armies."

Neville was now sure the Boy-Who-Lived could read minds. There was just no other way Harry Potter could've known. Neville had never talked about that with anyone, or given any sign; and other people weren't like that, not that Neville had ever noticed.

And Harry's promise had come true, this did feel different from sparring in Defense class. Neville had hoped that sparring would fix everything that was wrong with him, and, well, it hadn't. Even if he could fire a few spells at another student in class with Professor Quirrell watching to make sure nothing went wrong, even if he could dodge and fire back when it was allowed and everyone else was expecting it and they would stare at him funny if he didn't do it, none of that was the same as being able to stand up for himself.

But being part of an army...

Something strange was stirring inside Neville, as he marched through the forest alongside his comrades, upon their uniforms an insignia of fingers poised to snap.
I appreciate Neville being given his due as a badass, I don't quite appreciating this happening because Harriezer had a quick chat with him and gave him a position in his army. Harry can empower people by example and because he thinks of them as people (over the course of seven years, no less). Harriezer - not so much. NPCs, remember?

quote:

The tune [of the Chaos march] was what a Muggle would have identified as John Williams's Imperial March, also known as "Darth Vader's Theme"; and the words Harry had added were easy to remember.

Doom doom doom
Doom doom doom doom doom doom
Doom doom doom
Doom doom doom doom doom doom
DOOM doom DOOM
Doom doom doom-doom-doom doom doom
Doom doom-doom-doom doom doom
Doom doom doom, doom doom doom.
Ugh.

Both halves of Sunshine charge their respective opponents and get cut down with sleep spells. Broomsticks are lit up with Luminos to signify a hit, so someone cares at least marginally about student safety. Harriezer is very happy he didn't have to hit Hermione, though she'd doubtless be very upset if she found out he thinks that way. Geez lady, it's just perfectly rational :biotruths:

quote:

"Prepare yourselves!" roared Draco at his troops. "Stay together with your mates, act as a unit, fire as soon as the enemy is in range!"

Discipline against Chaos.

It shouldn't be much of a fight.
But of course, we find out that Harriezer got it right - run and gunning at your own initiative is obviously the superior tactic to staying together and focusing aimed fire. I was about to start talking about empirical experiments you can conduct at home, laser-tag and nerf guns, but... most people reading this have played a multiplayer FPS at some point. I'm pretty sure Yud has as well, but he learned absolutely nothing from the experience.

quote:

"Blood for the blood god! " screamed Neville. "Skulls for the skull throne! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The enemy's gate is sideways! "

There was a soundless impact as a sleep spell wasted itself against Neville's shield. If there'd been other spells fired, they hadn't hit.

Neville saw the brief look of fear on Wayne Hopkins's face, as he stood besides two Gryffindors Neville didn't recognize, and then -

- Neville dropped the Simple Shield and fired at Wayne -

- missed -

- his racing legs went straight past the enemy grouping and toward another three Dragons, their wands coming up on him, their mouths opening -

- not even thinking about it, Neville dived down to the forest floor just as three voices cried "Somnium! "

It hurt, hard stones and hard twigs digging into Neville as he rolled, it wasn't as bad as falling off his broomstick but he'd still hit the ground pretty hard, and then Neville, with sudden insight, lay still and closed his eyes.

"Stop that!" screamed a voice. "Don't shoot us, we're Dragons!"

With a flash of glorious satisfaction, Neville realized that he'd managed to get between two groups of Dragons just as one group had fired on him. Harry had talked about this as a tactic for making the enemy afraid to fire, but apparently it worked a bit better than that.

And not only that, the Dragons believed they'd gotten him, since they'd seen Neville fall just as they fired.
The first part is totally how things sound like they might work in your head but (to reiterate) generally doesn't, at least for new players.

Foreshadowing and "badassery" established, Neville manages to sneakily drop a few Dragons, then leaves the narrative for the chapter.

quote:

And Neville got to his feet, panting. He knew he should be moving, people were yelling "Somnium!" all over the place -

"I am Neville, the last scion of Longbottom! " screamed Neville to the sky above, holding his wand pointed straight up as though to challenge the blazing blue heaven itself, knowing that nothing after this day would ever be the same again. "Neville of Chaos! Face me if you da-"

(When Neville woke up afterward, he was told that Dragon Army had taken this as their cue to counterattack.)

quote:

"Luminos! " cried one of the boys next to Harry, who hadn't been able to rebuild the magical strength fast enough to do it earlier, and Mr. Goyle dodged it without a pause.

Chaos had only six soldiers left, now, and Dragon Army had two, and the only problem was that one of those soldiers was invincible, and the other one was using up three soldiers just to cover him inside his shield.

They'd lost more soldiers to Mr. Goyle than all the other Dragons put together, he was weaving and dodging through the air so fast that no one could hit him, and he could shoot people while he did that.
Do HP universe wizards require "magical strength" or stamina or whatever?

Anyways, Harriezer has to convince himself to stop thinking of ways to kill Goyle. Instead, he beam spams him into oblivion, then passes out. When he wakes up (passing out does not count as being defeated) it's just him, a few remaining Chaos soldiers, and Draco inside a protective prismatic shell that none of the Chaos soldiers can pierce. Harriezer pulls out a car battery out of his pouch (???), but before we can start on what would probably be an amazingly stupid bit of reasoning as to what that's supposed to do, a blast of energy slams into Draco's shield from the darkness of the forest.

quote:

"You know, General Granger," Harry said out loud, "you really should've waited to attack until after I'd fought General Malfoy. You might've been able to get all the survivors."

From somewhere came a girl's high-pitched laughter.

Harry froze.

That wasn't Hermione.

And that was when the dreadful, eerie, cheerful chant began to rise, coming from all around them.

"Don't be frightened, don't be sad,
We'll only hurt you if you're bad..."

"Granger cheated! " burst out Draco inside the shield. "She woke up her soldiers! Why doesn't Professor Quirrell -"

"Let me guess," Harry said, the sickness already churning in his stomach. He really hated losing. "It was a very easy battle, right? They dropped like flies?"

"Yes," Draco said. "We got them all on the first shot -"

The look of horrified realization spread from Draco to the Chaos Legionnaires.

"No," Harry said, "we didn't."

Camouflaged forms were appearing from among the trees.

"Allies?" Harry said.

"Allies," Draco said.

"Good," said General Granger's voice, and a spiral of green energy blazed out of the woods and shattered Draco's shield to splinters.

-------------------------------

General Granger surveyed the battlefield with a definite feeling of satisfaction. She was down to nine Sunshine Soldiers, but that was probably enough to handle the last survivor of the enemy forces, especially when Parvati and Anthony and Ernie were already holding their wands on General Potter, whom she'd ordered taken alive (well, conscious).

It was Bad, she knew, but she'd really really really wanted to gloat.

"There's a trick, isn't there?" said Harry, the strain showing in his voice. "There has to be some trick. You can't just turn into a perfect general. Not on top of everything else. You're not that Slytherin! You don't write creepy poetry! No one's that good at everything! "

General Granger glanced around at her Sunshine Soldiers, and then looked back at Harry. Everyone was probably watching this on the screens outside.

And General Granger said, "I can do anything if I study hard enough."

"Oh now that's just bu-"

"Somnium."

Harry slumped to the ground in mid-sentence.

"SUNSHINE WINS," intoned the huge voice of Professor Quirrell, seeming to come from everywhere and nowhere.

"Niceness has triumphed!" cried General Granger.

"Hooray! " shouted the Sunshine Soldiers. Even the Gryffindor boys said it, and they said it with pride.

"And what's the moral of today's battle?" said General Granger.

"We can do anything if we study hard enough! "

And the survivors of the Sunshine Regiment marched off toward the victory field, singing their marching song as they went:

Don't be frightened, don't be sad,
We'll only hurt you if you're bad,
And send you to a home that's true,
With new friends to watch over you,
Be sure to tell them you were sent
By Granger's Sunshine Regiment!
I've confessed this before, so might as well re-emphasize it - I like this bit. It's a good beat.

If only the rest of the book was about Hermione repeatedly dunking on Draco and Harriezer. Thus ever to douchebags.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 27, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It's perfectly consistent for him to say he values individuality though.
Yeah, but it's not consistent for him to try and mould his armies identity into that of a bunch of people who don't necessarily listen to their genius general (though wait and see how that works out)

quote:

"Stay together with your mates" seems like an incredibly unlikely thing for Draco to say. He doesn't talk like that.
I don't have the best ear for dialog, but it the central message is consistent with Draco's characterization.

Anyways,

Chapter 31: Working in Groups, Pt 2

Harriezer has absolutely no idea how Hermione could possibly have come up with this absolutely brilliant and highly complex stratagem (and other strategies we didn't actually get to see in the last chapter):

quote:

Harry paced backward and forward in his general's office, which made a wonderful room for pacing, it didn't have any other uses as far as he could tell.

How?

How?

Hermione shouldn't have won that battle! Not on her first try, not when she wasn't at all violent by her nature, automatically being a great military commander on top of everything else was too much even for her.
Had she read about the tactic in a military history book? But it hadn't been just that one tactic, she'd had her forces perfectly positioned to block any retreat, her troops had been better coordinated than his or Draco's...

Had Professor Quirrell broken his promise not to help her? Had he given her the diary of General Tacticus or something?
Tacticus is a Discworld general. In a perfectly rational world, Yud would pay some attention to the core themes of the media he consumes, and would not be a Pratchett fan.

Quirrel also forbidden the use of tech in battles. Prudent, though I was looking forward to stuff like bungie chords (or whatever Bean used to zip around the battle room).

quote:

Battles counted for a lot of Quirrell points if you were a general, and Harry needed to get cracking if he wanted to win Professor Quirrell's Christmas wish.
A reminder that the HPMOR trio are the only ones with something to gain from the competition. Hence the (deliberate?) misunderstanding of the Robber's Cave experiment in the last chapter as "sheeple will become invested in their team merely by virtue of being arbitrarily sorted into said team".

Meanwhile, Draco:

quote:

stared off into space, as though the wall in front of his desk was the most fascinating surface in the world.

How?

How?
And he's the one to figure it out (though only by using Harriezer's rationality lessons), which is relatively neat:

quote:

With sudden horrified realization, Draco swept papers out of the way, hunting through the mess on his desk, until he found it.

And there it was.

Right in the list of people and equipment assigned to each of the three armies.

Curse Professor Quirrell!

Draco had read it and he still hadn't seen it -
I don't think we ever saw that list, which is unfortunate. (Not saying that it would have contained a big reveal in retrospect, but sending readers back to try and spot the clue is a good bit of exercise)

And now for the triumphant and shocking conclusion:

quote:

"How long do you think it will take Malfoy to figure it out?" said General Granger.

"Not long," said Colonel Blaise Zabini. "He may have already. How long will it take Potter to figure it out?"

"Forever," said General Granger, "unless Malfoy tells him, or one of his own soldiers realizes. Harry Potter just doesn't think like that."

"Really?" said Captain Ernie Macmillan, looking up from one of the corner tables where he was being crushed at chess by Captain Ron Weasley. (They'd brought back all the other chairs after Malfoy had left, of course.) "I mean it seems kind of obvious to me. Who would try to come up with all the ideas just by themselves?"

"Harry," said Hermione, at exactly the same time Zabini said, "Malfoy."

"Malfoy thinks he's way better than everyone else," said Zabini.

"And Harry... doesn't really see most other people like that," said Hermione.

It was kind of sad, actually. Yud Harry had grown up very, very alone. It wasn't that he went around thinking in words that only geniuses had a right to exist. It just wouldn't occur to him that anyone in Hermione's army besides Hermione could have any good ideas.
Spoilers: like most themes, concepts and ideas in HPMOR this goes absolutely loving nowhere. Harriezer will forever treat everyone around him besides a select few as NPCs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 32: Interlude: Personal Financial Management

Which is exactly as fascinating as it sounds. Quirrel takes Harry out Christmas shopping. Except he doesn't "do" Christmas, so humorous banter ahoy.

Actual plots points:

quote:

"I'm sorry, Harry," said Dumbledore, "and I do apologize, but allowing you control over your own finances would give you far too much independence of action."

Harry's mouth opened and no sound came out. He was, literally, speechless.

"I will permit you to withdraw five Galleons for Christmas presents," said Dumbledore, "which is more than any boy your age should spend, but poses no threat, I think -"

"I can't believe you just said that! " the words burst out of Harry's mouth. "You admit to being that manipulative?"

"Manipulative?" said the old wizard, smiling slightly. "No, manipulative would be if I did not admit it, or if I had some deeper motive behind the obvious. This is quite straightforward, Harry. You are not yet ready to play the game, and it would be foolish to allow you thousands of Galleons with which to upset the gameboard."

quote:

"I do hope those five Galleons will be enough to last, since you counted them so carefully," said Professor Quirrell. "I doubt the Headmaster shall be so eager to entrust me with your vault key a second time, once he discovers I've been tricked."

"I'm sure you did your best," Harry said with deep gratitude.

"Do you need any assistance finding a safe place to store all those Knuts, Mr. Potter?"

"Well, sort of," said Harry. "Do you know of any good investment opportunities, Professor Quirrell?"

And the two of them walked on, in their tiny sphere of silence and isolation, through the brilliant and bustling crowds; and if you looked carefully, you would see that where they went, leafy boughs faded, and flowers withered, and children's toys that played cheerful bells changed to lower and more ominous notes.

Harry did notice, but he didn't say anything, just smiled a little to himself.

Everyone had their own way of celebrating the holidays, and the Grinch was as much a part of Christmas as Santa.

I'm not sure if we ever find out exactly how Harriezer "tricked" Quirrell or the Goblins. He also figures out that century-old institutions that have been serving the entire magic world might have some sort of protection against the very first get-rich-quick scheme dreamed up by an eleven year old, so we cut off that nascent plot thread (at least for the duration of the narrative - Harriezer still plans for the future as though exploiting the wizarding economy to generate unlimited funds is a given).

Oh yeah. When Harriezer passed out during the battle, he stopped sustaining his transfiguration. Probably worth mentioning, since transfiguration shenanigans are one of the few plot threads that actually amount to something.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 3, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Added Space posted:

Thanks Xander77!
Take it back. Take it all back.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 33: Coordination Problems, Pt 1

Another complex chapter I'm going to break into pieces.

quote:

I just recite to myself, over and over, until I can choose sleep: It all adds up to J. K. Rowling.

The version of decision theory used in this chapter is not the academically dominant one. It's based on something called "timeless decision theory" that's under development by (among others) Gary Drescher, Wei Dai, Vladimir Nesov, and, well... (coughs a few times) me.
Oh boy. This should be fun.

Link in quote is obviously my own.

quote:

The terrifying part was how fast the whole thing had spiraled out of control.

"Albus," Minerva said, not even trying to keep the worry out of her voice as the two of them entered the Great Hall, "something has to be done."

Take a school, into four Houses divided...

Now into each year, add three armies at war.

And the partisanship of Dragon and Sunshine and Chaos had spread beyond the first-years; they had become the armies for those who had no armies. Students were wearing armbands with insignia of fire or smile or upraised hand, and hexing each other in the corridors. All three first-year generals had told them to stop - even Draco Malfoy had heard her out and then nodded grimly - but their supposed followers hadn't listened.

Dumbledore gazed out at the tables with a distant look. "In every city," the old wizard quoted softly,"the population has been divided for a long time past into the Blue and the Green factions...

"I'm sorry," said Minerva, "I don't -"

"Procopius," said Dumbledore. "They took their chariot-racing very seriously, in the Roman Empire. Yes, Minerva, I agree that something must be done."
So.

1. Of course Minerva is ignorant and ineffectual, because why would she not be.

2. Of course Yud types out "into four Houses divided" and then completely ignores that sentence as though it's covered with a SEP field. Every year, the four houses compete for the house cup - it's a long-standing tradition the importance of which was aptly established. Every single student has a stake in the prestige of winning the house cup, yet members of different houses do not "hex each other in corridors".

3. Ergo, even with the previously established misunderstanding of the Robber's cave experiment as
poo poo still doesn't make sense.

And if (per Dumbledore's interpretation) (Word recognizes Dumbledore as valid spelling, wtf) people aren't just playing around for the chance to pew pew at each other but rather are taking the conflict seriously - what's the conflict even about? The armies aren't really tied to particular ideologies, political or otherwise. They kinda cosplay as "types" (Discipline / Chaos / Niceness), but still.

So the only reason for this whole thing seriously is the three army leaders being extremely charismatic, which... they are certainly not (well, the author probably intended otherwise, but I think the readers can agree here). And if they were, wouldn't they be able to control their "followers"?

With that said:

quote:

The terrifying part was how fast the whole thing had spiraled out of control.

The first battle in December had been... messy, or so Draco had heard.

The second battle had been deranged.

And the next one would be worse, unless the three of them together succeeded in their last desperate attempt to stop it.

"Professor Quirrell, this is insanity," Draco said flatly. "This isn't Slytherin any more, it's just..." Draco was at a loss for words. He waved his hands helplessly. "You can't possibly do any real plots with all this stuff going on. Last battle, one of my soldiers faked his own suicide. We have Hufflepuffs trying to plot, and they think they can, but they can't. Things just happen at random now, it doesn't have anything to do with who's cleverest, or which army fights best, it's..." He couldn't even describe it.

"I agree with Mr. Malfoy," said Granger in the tones of someone who hadn't ever expected to hear herself saying those words. "Allowing traitors isn't working, Professor Quirrell."

Draco had tried forbidding anyone in his army to plot except him, and that had just driven the plots underground, no one wanted to be left out when the soldiers in other armies got to plot. After miserably losing their last battle, he'd finally given in and revoked his decree; but by then his soldiers had already started setting their own personal plans in motion, without any sort of central coordination.

After being told all the plans, or what his soldiers claimed were their plans, Draco had tried to sketch a plot to win the final battle. It had required considerably more than three different things to go right, and Draco had used Incendio on the paper and Everto to vanish the ashes, because if Father had seen it he would have been disowned.
Let's 1 2 3 this again.

1. We've skipped the entirety of battle school. First battle, stuff happens offscreen, last battle incoming. Obviously a good thing if you hate this particular subplot, but this is the point at which the story lost me, and I hate-read the rest of it.

quote:

Professor Quirrell's eyes moved beneath their lids to regard Draco, and then Granger. "In truth, Mr. Malfoy, Miss Granger, I simply could not live with myself if I shut down the grand debacle before its climax. One of your soldiers has even become a quadruple agent."

"Quadruple? " said Granger. "But there's only three sides in the war!"

"Yes," said Professor Quirrell, "you'd think that, wouldn't you. I am not sure that there has ever in history been a quadruple agent, or any army with such a high fraction of real and pretended traitors. We are exploring new realms, Miss Granger, and we cannot turn back now."

2. Traitors. We had just established that the students are taking the whole army thing in dead earnest, and are not just using it as an excuse to wreak havoc. Ok, pretending to plot what the gently caress ever for shits and giggles - maybe. Making your own plots to win the battle - fair enough. But actually betraying your team? Imagine just how it would be received if a high school quarterback "betrayed" his team and how his life would look from that point onward.

3. Isn't it great that all the battles, betrayals and contrasting plans took place mostly offscreen. Not only was Yud able to avoid coming up with different brilliant strategies, but he also wasn't forced to figure out the possible motivation and intricate planning for hordes of NPCs secondary characters.

4. This gets discussed in detail later on, but there's no "normal" battlefield. The battles take place at random in different areas of the Hogwarts school grounds, with little prior notice. I can imagine Quirrelmorts justification about how real battles blah blah blah, but going back to the multiplayer FPS experience - nobody does well on a map they're playing for the first time.

quote:

Professor Quirrell's eyelids were half-closed, his chin resting on his hands as he leaned forward onto his desk. "And you, Mr. Potter?" said the Defense Professor. "Are you likewise in agreement?"

"All we'd need to do is shoot Franz Ferdinand and we could start World War One," said Harry. "It's gone to complete chaos. I'm all for it."

"Harry! " said Draco in utter shock.

He didn't even realize until a second later that he'd said it at exactly the same time, and in exactly the same tone of indignation, as Granger.
It's all a part of Harry's plans to force Draco to ally with Hermione. I think there's a bit of a tendency to miss the fact that Harriezer and Qurrielmort have a grander scheme in place here, while Draco and Hermione are mostly trying to prove themselves / the validity of their personal philosophy. (BTW, even if I can imagine material incentives for traitors on the parts of Draco and Harry, what's Hermione offering? Tutoring?) The Quirrell wish is mostly besides the point.

quote:

Hermione stared at the parchment Zabini had given her, feeling utterly and completely helpless.

There were names, and lines connecting the names to other names, and some of the lines were in different colors and...

"Tell me," said General Granger, "is there anyone in my army who isn't a spy?

Hermione closed her eyes for a moment. "We're going to lose, aren't we?"

"Look," Zabini said patiently, "You're in the lead right now on Quirrell points. We just have to not lose this last battle completely and you'll have enough Quirrell points to win the Christmas wish."

Professor Quirrell had announced that the final battle would operate on a formal scoring system, which he'd been asked to do to avoid recriminations afterward. Each time you shot someone, the general of your army got two Quirrell points. A gong would ring through the battle area (they didn't know yet where they would be fighting, though Hermione was hoping for the forest again, where Sunshine did well) and its pitch would tell which army had won the points. And if anyone was faking being hit, the gong would ring out anyway, and then a double gong would ring later, after no fixed time, to hail the retraction. And if you called the name of an army, cried "For Sunshine!" or "For Chaos!" or "For Dragon!", it switched your allegiance to that army...

Even Hermione had been able to see the flaw in that set of rules. But Professor Quirrell had gone on to announce that if you'd been originally assigned to Sunshine, nobody could shoot you in the name of Sunshine - or rather, they could, but then Sunshine lost a single Quirrell point, symbolized by a triple gong. That prevented you from shooting your own soldiers for points, and discouraged suiciding before the enemy got you, but you could still shoot spies if you had to.

"So we fight carefully," Hermione said, "and just try not to lose too badly."

"No," said Zabini. The young Slytherin's face was now serious. "The problem is, Malfoy and Potter both know that their only way to win is to combine and crush us, then fight it out on their own. So here's what I think we should do -"

Hermione left the classroom in something of a daze. Zabini's plan hadn't been the obvious one, it had been strange and complicated and layered and the sort of thing she would've expected Harry to come up with, not Zabini. It felt wrong just for her to be able to understand a plan like that. Young girls shouldn't be able to understand plans like that. The Hat would've Sorted her into Slytherin, if it'd seen that she could understand plans like that...

quote:

"We are gathered," said Harry.

"Let Chaos reign," chorused his four Lieutenants.

"My hovercraft is full of eels," said Harry.

"I will not buy this record, it is scratched," chorused his four Lieutenants.

"All mimsy were the borogroves."

"And the mome raths outgrabe!"

That concluded the formalities.

"How goes the confusion?" Harry said in a dry whisper like Emperor Palpatine.
Lolrandom xD.

Nah, but fair enough, the little poo poo being given power and cosplaying as an evil overlord with a mix of Monty Python is both predictable and moderately funny.

quote:

"Our Legionnaires have begun five new plots since yesterday evening."

Harry smiled evilly. "Do any of them have a chance of working?"

"I don't think so," said Neville of Chaos. "Here's the report."

"Excellent," said Harry, and laughed chillingly as he took the parchment from Neville's hand, trying his best to make it sound like he was choking on dust. That brought the total to sixty.

Let Draco try to handle that. Let him try.

"Can the Legion stop making plots now?" said Finnigan of Chaos. "I mean, don't we have enough already -"

"No," Harry said flatly. "We can never have enough plots."

There came a knock at the door.

"That will be the Dragon General," Harry said, smiling with evil prescience. "He arrives precisely as I expected. Do show him in, and yourselves out."

And the four Lieutenants of Chaos shuffled out, casting dark looks at Draco as the enemy general entered into Harry's secret lair.

If he wasn't allowed to do this when he was older, Harry was just going to stay eleven forever.

Time for the actual discussion of timeless decision theory etc. I'm sure that Yud is very proud of this system and the elaborate points thing, and how they play into the resolution of the battle, but my eyes start to glaze over merely looking at this bullshit (I'm assuming it's bullshit based on the statistical analysis of the average quality of Yud's ideas :)) much less when the soldiers' plots are revealed. So I'll take back any complaints about the rest of battle school being offscreen, I suppose.

Anyways, I suppose we're all familiar with the basic Prisoner's Dilemma, so Yud's take follows:

quote:

In fact, Harry had said, this was pretty much the reason why people had governments - you might be better off if you stole from someone else, just like each prisoner would be individually better off if they defected in the Prisoner's Dilemma. But if everyone thought like that, the country would fall into chaos and everyone would be worse off, like what would happen if both prisoners defected. So people let themselves be ruled by governments, just like the Death Eaters had let themselves be ruled by the Dark Lord.

(Draco had asked Harry to stop again. Draco had always taken for granted that ambitious wizards put themselves in power because they wanted to rule, and people let themselves be ruled because they were scared little Hufflepuffs. And this, on reflection, still seemed true; but Harry's perspective was fascinating even if it was wrong.)

But, Harry had continued afterward, the fear of a third party punishing you was not the only possible reason to cooperate in the Prisoner's Dilemma.

Suppose, Harry had said, you were playing the game against a magically produced identical copy of yourself.

Draco had said that if there were two Dracos, of course neither Draco would want anything bad to happen to the other one, not to mention that no Malfoy would let himself become known as a traitor.

Harry had nodded again, and said that this was yet another solution to the Prisoner's Dilemma - people might cooperate because they cared about each other, or because they had senses of honor, or because they wanted to preserve their reputation. Indeed, Harry had said, it was rather difficult to construct a true Prisoner's Dilemma - in real life, people usually cared about the other person, or their honor or their reputation or a Dark Lord's punishment or something besides the prison sentences. But suppose the copy had been of someone completely selfish -

(Pansy Parkinson had been the example they'd used)

- so each Pansy only cared what happened to her and not to the other Pansy.

Given that this was all Pansy cared about... and that there was no Dark Lord... and Pansy wasn't worried about her reputation... and Pansy either had no sense of honor or didn't consider herself obligated to the other prisoner... then would the rational thing be for Pansy to cooperate, or defect?

Some people, Harry said, claimed that the rational thing to do was for Pansy to defect against her copy, but Harry, plus someone named Douglas Hofstadter, thought these people were wrong. Because, Harry had said, if Pansy defected - not at random, but for what seemed to her like rational reasons - then the other Pansy would think exactly the same way. Two identical copies wouldn't decide different things. So Pansy had to choose between a world in which both Pansies cooperated, or a world in which both Pansies defected, and she was better off if both copies cooperated. And if Harry had thought 'rational' people did defect in the Prisoner's Dilemma, then he wouldn't have done anything to spread that kind of 'rationality', because a country or a conspiracy full of 'rational' people would dissolve into chaos. You would tell your enemies about 'rationality'.

Which had all sounded reasonable at the time, but now the thought was occurring to Draco that...
"You said," Draco said, "that the rational solution to the Prisoner's Dilemma is to cooperate. But of course you would want me to believe that, wouldn't you?" And if Draco was fooled into cooperating, Harry would just say, Ha ha, betrayed you again! and laugh at him about it afterward.

"I wouldn't fake your lessons," Harry said seriously. "But I have to remind you, Draco, that I didn't say you should just automatically cooperate. Not on a true Prisoner's Dilemma like this one. What I said was that when you choose, you shouldn't think like you're choosing for just yourself, or like you're choosing for everyone. You should think like you're choosing for all the people who are similar enough to you that they'll probably do the same thing you do for the same reasons. And also choosing the predictions made by anyone who knows you well enough to predict you accurately, so that you never have to regret being rational because of the correct predictions that other people make about you - remind me to explain about Newcomb's Problem at some point.
(This is what got me stuck on this particular review. I'm no more than a layman regarding any of the terms discussed here - what lectures I got on Prisoner's Dilemma were quite dismissive of it being applicable to real life decision-making and the political process - so I can't really see what's stupid about the above paragraphs. I'm fairly certain that they are quite stupid though.

The first half of the chapter concludes with Hermione bumping into Dumbledore in the halls, suggesting he's putting his plan into action. Next time - the actual battle.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cyrai posted:

Like, say you wanted to figure out the probability of rolling a dice and getting an even number five times in a row. You could try to figure that out by rolling ten thousand dice with one hundred sides each, totalling the result, and seeing if the total is odd or even. Or you could just get a regular dice and roll it five times for the exact same result in a fraction of the time with less chance for a stupid calculation error
Yeah, I'm not sure why you've inserted "with one hundred sides each", but rolling a LOT of dice is the correct answer, and rolling five times it stupidly wrong.

Edit - oh yeah, I figured at least part of the reason why the house conflict doesn't matter, while the army conflict does. Not sure what the technical name for it is, but it's a fairly common trope where previous conflicts that don't directly involve the protagonist don't matter / can be solved with a quick talk.

Kirk is star-trekking across the universe, when he runs into a pair of planets at war with each other. Of course the moral of the episode is going to be that war is wrong, and they can settle matters with a nice chat. Is Kirk going to apply that lesson to the Federation's conflict with the Klingons? Don't be absurd, that conflict stems entirely from the Klingons being commie treacherous and war-mongering assholes. That sort of thing.

So the houses being separated by ideology / personality traits doesn't matter, while the armies are serious business (to an extent).

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 5, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 33: Coordination Problems, Pt 1 (pt 2)

quote:

Draco had hoped that they would be fighting in the upper levels of Hogwarts again. Professor Quirrell had said that real fights were more likely to take place in cities than forests, and fighting inside schoolrooms and corridors was supposed to simulate that, with ribbons to mark the allowed areas. Dragon Army had done well in those fights.

Instead, just as Draco had feared, Professor Quirrell had come up with something special for this battle.

The battleground was the Hogwarts Lake.

And not in boats, either.

They were fighting underwater.

The Giant Squid had been temporarily paralyzed; spells had been set in place to keep away the grindylows; Professor Quirrell had gone and talked to the merfolk; and all the soldiers had been issued potions of underwater action that allowed them to breathe, see clearly, talk to each other, and swim not quite as fast as a fast walk by kicking their legs.

A huge silver sphere hung in the center of the battleground, shining like a small underwater moon. It would help to provide a sense of direction - at first. The moon would slowly go into eclipse as the battle went on, and when it had gone entirely dark, the battle would end if it hadn't already.

War in water. You couldn't defend a perimeter, attackers could come at you from any direction, and even with the potion you couldn't see very far in the darkness of the lake.

And if you swam too far away from the action, you would start to glow after a while, and be easy to hunt down - ordinarily if an army scattered and ran instead of fighting, Professor Quirrell would just declare them defeated; but today they were working on a points system. Of course you still had some time before you started to glow, if you wanted to play assassin.
Spoilers - practically none of this (except for the glow) will matter in the slightest. Yudkowsky barely even does the basic battle / tactics descriptions you'll find in Ender's game. It's just the brilliant plans each general has, and the denouement.

Let me whinge some more - I feel like the whole planning bit for each army can't really be skipped, so I'm obliged to post huge chunks of text for each:

quote:

"Listen to me very carefully," said General Malfoy. His voice came out a little lower, a little burbly with bubbles, libsten to me vebwy caerbfully, but the sound traveled clearly. "There's only one way we can win this. We've got to march on Sunshine together with Chaos, and beat Sunshine. Then we fight it out with Potter and win. That's got to happen, understand? No matter what else goes on, that part has to happen that way -"

And Draco explained the plan he and Harry had come up with.

Astonished looks were exchanged among the soldiers.

"- and if any of your plots get in the way of that," finished Draco, "after we are out of the water, I will set you on fire."

There was a nervous chorus of yessirs.

"And everyone with secret orders, make sure you carry them out to the letter," said Draco.

Around half his soldiers openly nodded, and Draco marked them for death after he rose to power.

Of course all the private orders were fake, like one Dragon being told to offer a false traitor's commission to another Dragon, and the second Dragon being told in hushed confidence to report anything said by the first Dragon. Draco had told each Dragon that the whole war could depend on that one thing, and that he hoped they understood it was more important than the plans they'd previously made. With luck that would keep all the idiots happy, and maybe flush out a few spies to boot, if the reports didn't match the instructions.

Draco's real plan for winning against Chaos... well, it was simpler than the one he'd burned, but Father still wouldn't have liked it. Despite trying, though, Draco hadn't been able to think of anything better. It was a plot that couldn't possibly have worked against anyone except Harry Potter.

Seven Sunshine troops swim off away from the action, in a cunning plan.

quote:

"Now what?" said Ron.

"Now we wait," said Hermione, loudly enough for all the soldiers to hear. It felt odd to talk with her mouth full of water, she kept feeling like she was committing some sort of horrible impoliteness at the dinner table and was about to drool all over herself. "All of us left here are going to get zapped, but that was going to happen anyway with Dragon and Chaos ganging up on us. We've just got to take as many of them with us as we can."

"I've got a plan," said one of her Sunshine Soldiers... Hannah, her voice had been a little hard to recognize at first. "It's like all complicated, but I know how we can get Dragon and Chaos to start fighting each other -"

"Me too!" said Fay. "I've got a plan too! See, Neville Longbottom is secretly on our side -"

"You were talking to Neville?" said Ernie. "That's not right, I was the one who -"

Daphne Greengrass and a couple of other Slytherins who hadn't gone with Zabini were giggling helplessly as the cries of "No, wait, I was the one who got Longbottom" erupted from one soldier after another.

Hermione just looked at them all wearily.

"Okay," said Hermione when it had all died down, "does everyone get it? All your plots were faked by the Chaos Legion, or maybe some by Dragon. Anyone who really wanted to betray Harry or Malfoy went straight to me or Zabini, not you. Just go ahead and compare notes on all your secret plots and you'll see it for yourselves." She might not be as good at plotting as Zabini, but she could always understand what all her officers told her, that was why Professor Quirrell had made her the general. "So don't bother trying to do any plots when the other armies get here. Just fight, okay? Please?"

"But," said Ernie with shock on his face, "Neville is in Hufflepuff! You're saying he lied to us?"

Daphne was laughing so hard and so helplessly that the exhalations had turned her upside down in the water.

"I'm not sure what Longbottom is," said Ron darkly, "but I don't think he's a Hufflepuff any more. Not now that Harry Potter's got to him."

"Do you know," said Susan, "I asked him that, and Neville told me he had become a Chaos Hufflepuff?"

"Anyway," said Hermione in a loud voice. "Zabini took with everyone who we thought was a spy, so in our army we can stop watching each other quite so hard now, I hope."

"Anthony was a spy?" yelled Ron.

"Parvati was a spy?" gasped Hannah.

"Parvati was totally a spy," said Daphne. "She shopped at the spy shoe store and wore spy lipstick, and someday she's going to marry a nice spy husband and have a lot of little spies."

And then a gong sound echoed through the water, indicating that Sunshine had just scored two points.

This was shortly followed by the triple gong of Dragon losing a single point.

Traitors weren't allowed to kill generals, not after the disaster of the first battle in December when all three generals had been shot in the first minute. But with any luck...

"Aw," said Hermione. "It sounds like Mr. Crabbe is taking a little nap."
1. So after all the attention paid to the plots, none of them (except the ones by the generals) end up mattering. Phew, glad we avoided the complication of NPCs having an impact on things.

2. Good thing we don't have to account for the force of destruction that is Mr. Crabbe. The highly accomplished broomstick flyer. Can you even imagine what he would have done under water? Because I can't. (Also, how was he dealt with in the other battles?)

3. It took me quite a while to figure out how the points worked out here. Someone shot Crabbe in the name of Sunshine, and then someone else on Dragon shot that spy in the name of Dragon, figuring that losing a point is better than giving Chaos / Sunshine two points. Something to keep in mind for later.

quote:

Harry took a deep breath, feeling the water gurgle harmlessly in his lungs.

They'd fought in the forest, and he hadn't gotten a chance to say it.

They'd fought in the corridors of Hogwarts, and he hadn't gotten a chance to say it.

They'd fought in the air, broomsticks issued to every soldier, and it still hadn't made sense to say it.

Harry had thought he wouldn't ever get to say those words, not while he was still young enough for them to be real...

The Chaos Legionnaires were looking at Harry in puzzlement, as their general swam with his feet pointing up toward the distant light of the surface, and his head pointed down toward the murky depths.

"Why are you upside down? " the young commander shouted at his army, and began to explain how to fight after you abandoned the privileged orientation of gravity.
Again, this doesn't matter. It's not the huge advantage it was in Ender's game, just (another) senseless and pointless reference.

quote:

Like every Chaos Legionnaire in the army, Neville's head was constantly rotating as he swam, looking up, down, around, to every side. Not just watching for Sunshine Soldiers, but watching for any sign that a Chaos Legionnaire had drawn their wand and was about to betray them. Usually traitors waited until the confusion of battle to make their move, but that early gong had put them all on guard.

...the truth was, Neville was feeling sad about that. In November he'd been a soldier in a united army, all of them pulling together and helping each other, and now they were all watching each other constantly for the first signs of betrayal. It might have been more fun for General Chaos, but it wasn't nearly as much fun for Neville.

Neville's squad drew their wands, pointing them straight ahead toward the enemy, as their heads scanned around more rapidly. If there were Sunny traitors, the time was approaching for them to strike.

The other shoal of fish, Dragon Army, was doing the same thing.

"Now! " shouted the distant voice of the Dragon General.

"Now! " shouted General Chaos.

"For Sunshine!" shouted all the soldiers in both armies, and charged downward.

For long precious seconds, as the forty-seven soldiers charged her own seventeen, Hermione's mind went blank.

Why...

Then it all snapped into place.

Every time a soldier originally from Sunshine got shot by someone crying the name of Sunshine, she would lose a Quirrell point. When two Sunshine Soldiers were shot by either army, both enemy armies would be two points closer to overtaking her, it was the same gain only shared. And if anyone shot another soldier not in the name of Sunshine, that gong wouldn't get lost in the confusion...

Hermione was suddenly very glad that Zabini hadn't gone with the obvious plan of starting trouble between the other two armies while they attacked Sunshine.

It was still disheartening, though, that sense of your chances closing

quote:

"It's all right," Susan Bones said firmly. Heads turned to look at the Sunshine Captain. "Our job is the same, to take as many of them with us as we can. And remember, Zabini took away all the spies! We don't have to stay on the lookout like they do!" The girl was smiling defiantly, provoking answering smiles from many of the other soldiers, even from Hermione herself. "It can be like it was in November. We just have to keep our heads high, fight our best, and trust each other -"

Daphne shot her.
Wait, didn't I just say that the NPC plans won't amount to anything? Well, they won't amount to anything coherent, just a clusterfuck of Reservoir Dogs fire exchange and complex babble I'm fairly sure even the author isn't expecting anyone to follow.

Neville duels owns Ron:

quote:

"Rainbows and unicorns! " roared the Sunshine Captain.

"The Black Goat with a thousand young! "

"Do your homework! "

Closer and yet closer, the two champions charged, neither willing to swerve, the first person to turn would present a vulnerable broadside and get shot, though if neither lost their nerve they would crash right into each other...

Falling straight down as the enemy rose straight up to meet him, hammer descending to meet anvil in a path neither was willing to leave...

"Special attack, Chaotic Twist! "

Neville saw the look of horror on Captain Weasley's face as the Hover Charm caught him. They'd tested it before the battle had started; and just as Harry had suspected, Wingardium Leviosa became a whole new sort of weapon once everyone was swimming underwater.

"Curse you, Longbottom! " shrieked Ron Weasley, "Can't you ever fight without your dumb special attacks -"

and by that time the Sunshine Captain had been spun around sideways and Neville shot him in the leg.

"I don't fight fair," said Neville to the sleeping form, "I fight like Harry Potter."
Anyways, the combined armies take down Sunshine (minus the seven soldiers who swam away earlier)

quote:

The two shoals swam uneasily next to each other, the soldiers in each army awaiting an order to call out their true allegiances, and attack...

"Everyone who got them," Harry said loudly, "remember Special Orders One through Three. And don't forget it's Merlin Says on Three. Do not acknowledge."

The trustworthy two-thirds of the army did not nod, and the other third just looked puzzled.

Special Order One: Don't bother trying to call out any codewords in this battle, don't expend effort on any plot not specially approved by the commander; just swim, shield, and fire.

Hermione and Draco had both been fighting their soldiers, trying to get them to stop plotting on their own all through December. Harry had egged his soldiers on and supported their plotting through the last two battles... while also telling them that at some future point he might ask them to put a plot or two on hold, to which they'd all readily agreed. So now, in this critical battle, they were happy to obey.
And that's how Harriezer gets around both the "free will, your own initiative" thing (it was all totally happening offscreen, we swear)

Standoff between the exactly even surviving forces, and... the seven Sunshine soldiers (including Zabini) swim up and join the Dragons. Chaos keeps using hit-and-run tactics (which I'm going to allow, given offscreen training or whatever) and somehow keeping up with superior Dragon numbers.

quote:

This wasn't working, and Draco needed to rethink things.

It looked like everyone was having trouble aiming while swimming, too, the battle might last long enough that time would be called... the distant underwater moon was only half full now, that wasn't good... he had to rethink things fast...

"What is it?" said Padma Patil, as she and her force swam over toward Draco.

Padma was his second-in-command; she was clever and powerful, and better yet, she hated Granger and saw Harry as a rival, which made her trustworthy. Working with Padma was making him realize the truth of the old adage that Ravenclaw was sister to Slytherin; Draco had been surprised when his father had told him it was an acceptable House for his future wife, but now he saw the sense of it.

"Wait until we're all here," Draco said. The truth was, he needed to catch his breath. That was the trouble with being the general and the most powerful wizard, you had to keep using magic.
We already established that HP universe magic doesn't work that way. Also, Yud actually buying into Death Eater beliefs here? "Draco had been taught better than his peers because he came from an aristocratic family" I'm willing to accept. He's a "stronger magician" by virtue of his blood... not so much.

quote:

Zabini came in next, commanding a force of two Sunnies and four Dragons, one of whom was Gregory keeping an eye on Zabini. Draco didn't trust Zabini. And neither Draco nor Zabini trusted the Sunnies enough to make them a majority of any unit; they were supposed to be loyal either to Draco directly, or to Granger who'd been fooled by the promise that the Dragons would be betrayed in the end after both forces had been depleted, just as Harry's more trusted Chaotics should've been fooled into not shooting at the Sunnies by the promise of their firing fake Sleep Hexes and switching to support Chaos later; but it was possible some of the Sunnies were loyal to Chaos and weren't firing real Sleep Hexes and that was why Dragon wasn't winning the way their numerical advantage should've let them win...

The next unit that approached was depleted, three soldiers holding wands on two other soldiers, who were swimming with empty hands.

Draco gritted his teeth. More traitor problems. He needed to talk to Professor Quirrell about having some way to punish traitors at least, conditions like these were unrealistic, in real life you tortured your traitors to death.

"General Malfoy!" shouted the commander of the problem unit as it swam up, a Ravenclaw boy named Terry. "We don't know what to do - Cesi shot Bogdan, but Cesi says Kellah told him that Bogdan shot Specter -"

"I didn't! " said Kellah.

"Yes you did! " shrieked Cesi. "General Malfoy, she's the spy, I should've rea-"

"Somnium," said Draco.

There was the triple bell of a one-point loss from Dragon, and then Kellah's limp body began to float away in the water.

Draco had heard the word 'recursion' by this point, and he knew a Harry Potter plot when he saw one.

(Unfortunately Draco had not heard of autoimmune disorders, and the thought did not readily occur to him that a clever virus would begin its attack by creating symptoms of an autoimmune disorder so as to get the body to distrust its own immune system...)

"General order! " said Draco, raising his voice. "Nobody gets to shoot spies except myself, Gregory, Padma, and Terry. If anyone sees anything suspicious they come to one of us."

And then -

There was the bell of Sunshine scoring two points.

"What? " said Draco and Zabini around the same time; their heads swiveled around. No one seemed to have gotten hit, and all the Sunshine soldiers were present and accounted for. (Except Parvati, who had been shot by some still-unknown traitor in Padma's squad; and of course Padma had shot Parvati again in case she was faking, so it wasn't her...)
I'm not sure we're actually meant to be following the convoluted logic here.

Anyways, as I keep pointing out - having an informal system that discourage unwanted behavior even if allowed by adult rules is literally what high school is ALL ABOUT.

quote:

Longbottom's body drifted chaotically through the water, arms and legs disarrayed. After Draco had finally got a hit in they'd all shot him again just to be sure.

Nearby was Harry Potter, now protected by a Prismatic Sphere, looking at them all grimly as the last sliver of crescent moon slowly diminished, somewhere far away. If Longbottom had managed to shoot one more soldier (Draco knew Harry was thinking), if the two Chaotics had managed to hold out just a little longer, they might have won...

After Draco had reformed his forces and struck out again, the ensuing battle and execution of spies in Sunshine's name had left Sunshine exactly one point ahead of Dragon and Chaos both. Once Harry had started doing it, Draco had been left with no choice but to follow suit.

But now they had General Chaos outnumbered three to one, the survivors of Dragon Army and the last remaining Sunny traitor: Draco, and Padma, and Zabini.

And Draco, who was no fool, had ordered Padma to take Zabini's wand after Longbottom had shot Gregory and fallen in turn to Draco. The boy had given him an insulted look, told Draco that he owed him for this, and handed it over.

That left Draco and Padma to take down General Chaos.

"I don't suppose you'd like to surrender?" said Draco, smiling as evilly as any smile he'd ever directed at Harry Potter.

"Sleep before surrender!" shouted General Chaos.

"Just so you know," said Draco, "Zabini doesn't actually have an older sister for you to rescue from Gryffindor bullies. But Zabini does have a mother who doesn't approve of Muggleborns like Granger, and I wrote her a few notes, and offered Zabini a few favors - nothing involving my father, just things I can do in school. And by the way, Zabini's mother doesn't approve of the Boy-Who-Lived, either. Just in case you still thought Zabini was really on your side."

Harry's face grew even grimmer.

Draco raised his wand, and began breathing rhythmically, building up strength for a Breaking Drill Hex. Granger's Prismatic Sphere was almost as strong as Draco's now, and Harry's wasn't much weaker, where did those two find time?

"Lagann! " spoke Draco, putting everything he had into it, and the green spiral blazed out and Harry's shield shattered, and at almost the same moment -

"Somnium! " said Padma.

quote:

Granger: 253 / Malfoy: 252 / Potter: 254

Harry let out a long breath of relief, and not just because he didn't have to hold the Prismatic Sphere any more. His hand was shaking as he lowered his wand.

"You know," said Harry, "I was pretty worried there for a moment."

Special Order Two: If a Sunny traitor doesn't seem to be really shooting at you, fake being hit occasionally. Prefer targeting Dragons to Sunnies but go ahead and shoot Sunnies if you can't shoot Dragons.

Special Order Three: Merlin says do not shoot at Blaise Zabini or either Patil twin.

With a wide grin, Parvati Patil stripped the Transfigured patch off her uniform's insignia, and let it float away in the water.

"Gryffindors for Chaos," she said, and handed Zabini his wand back.

"Thank you very much," Harry said, and bowed sweepingly to the Gryffindor girl. "And thank you as well," bowing to Zabini. "You know, when you came to me with that plan, I wondered if you were brilliant or crazy, and I've decided that you're both. And by the way," Harry said, now turning as though to address Draco's body, "Zabini does have a cousin -"

"Somnium," said Zabini's voice.

quote:

Parvati stared at him, trying to think, but she wasn't really good at plotting; Zabini'd said the plan was to secretly keep the scores of Chaos and Dragon as even as possible so they'd use Sunshine's name to execute their traitors instead of losing even a single point, and that had worked... but... she had the feeling she was missing something, she wasn't a Slytherin...

"Why don't I shoot you in the name of Dragon?" said Parvati.

"Because I outrank you," said Zabini.

Parvati had a bad feeling about this.

She stared at him for a long moment.

And then -

"Somni-" she started to say, and then realized she hadn't said for Dragon, and frantically cut herself off -

Granger: 255 / Malfoy: 254 / Potter: 254

"Hey, everyone," said Blaise Zabini's face on the screens, looking quite amused, "guess it's all down to me."

All by the lakeside, people were holding their breath.

Sunshine was ahead of Dragon and Chaos by exactly one point.

Blaise Zabini could shoot himself in the name of either Dragon or Chaos, or just leave things the way they were.

A series of chimes indicated that the last minute of time was running out.

And the Slytherin was smiling a strange, twisted smile, and casually toying with his wand, the dark wood barely visible in the dark water.

"You know," said Blaise Zabini's voice, in the tones of someone who'd been rehearsing the words for a while, "it's just a game, really. And games are supposed to be fun. So how about if I just do whatever I feel like?"
Can you imagine the totally surprising twist?

The constant posting of the score and focus on the score system kinda gives it away.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Stanfield posted:

Hang on, so all that poo poo about plots and traitors and points was just to build to the really obvious twist of Zabini not actually being a traitor?
Not quite:

Chapter 34: Coordination Problems, Pt 2

quote:

There'd been one brief moment when the explosion might've come; but Dumbledore had already been standing up and applauding warmly, and no one had proven foolish enough to riot in front of the Headmaster.

And the explosive mood had rapidly faded into a collective sentiment which might perhaps have been described by the phrase: Give us a break!

Blaise Zabini had shot himself in the name of Sunshine, and the final score had been 254 to 254 to 254.

You get a Quirrell gift! You get a Quirrel gift! Everyone all three generals get a Quirrell gift! But before they do, they go out on the fancy stage rigged for the occasion and announce:

quote:

"General Granger and I would both like to say," Draco said in his most formal voice, knowing it was being amplified and heard, "that we will no longer accept the help of any traitors. And if, in any battle, we find that Potter has accepted traitors from either of our armies, we will join forces to crush him."

And Draco shot a glance filled at malice at the Boy-Who-Lived. Take that, General Chaos!

"I agree completely with General Malfoy," said Granger standing beside him, her high voice clear and strong. "Neither of us will use traitors, and if General Potter does, we will wipe him off the battlefield."

There was a susurration of surprise from the watching students.
Susurration is the go-to fancy vocabulary word / reference for a certain sort of wannabe smart fiction readers.

quote:

"Very good," said their Defense Professor, smiling. "It took the two of you long enough, but you are still to be congratulated on having thought of it before any other generals."

It took a moment for this to soak in -

"In the future, Mr. Malfoy, Miss Granger, before you come to my office with any request, consider whether there is a way for you to accomplish it without my help. I will not deduct Quirrell points on this occasion, but next time you may expect to lose the full fifty." Professor Quirrell wore an amused grin. "And what do you have to say about that, Mr. Potter?"

Harry Potter's gaze went to Granger, then to Draco. His face appeared calm; though Draco was sure controlled would have been the better term.

Finally Harry Potter spoke, his voice level. "The Chaos Legion is still happy to accept traitors. See you on the battlefield."

Draco knew the shock was showing on his own face; there were astonished murmurs from the watching students, and when Draco glanced at the front row he saw that even Harry's Chaotics looked taken aback.

Granger's face was angry, and getting angrier. "Mr. Potter," she said in a sharp tone like she thought she was a teacher, "are you trying to be obnoxious?"

"Most certainly not," Harry Potter said calmly. "I won't make you do it every time. Beat me once, and I'll stay beaten. But threats aren't always enough, General of Sunshine. You did not ask me to join with you, but tried simply to impose your will; and sometimes you must actually defeat the enemy, to impose your will on him. You see, I am skeptical that Hermione Granger, the brightest academic star of Hogwarts, and Draco, son of Lucius, scion of the Noble and Most Ancient House of Malfoy, can work together to beat their common foe, Harry Potter." An amused smile crossed Harry Potter's face. "Maybe I'll just do what Draco tried with Zabini, and write a letter to Lucius Malfoy and see what he thinks about that."

"Harry! " gasped Granger, looking absolutely aghast, and there were gasps from the audience as well.

Draco controlled the anger flushing through him. That had been a stupid move on Harry's part, saying that in public. If Harry had simply done it, it might have worked, Draco hadn't even thought about that, but now if Father did that it would look like he was playing into Harry's hands...
This goes on in a similar wannabe Princess Bride "I know you know I know" style. Really, Harry trying to convince Draco to ally with Hermione is solid enough (though, like many other plot threads... you know the drill), but this return to "I'm telling you that I'm trying to manipulate you" banter is... not good.

Now, Quirrell has something to say:

quote:

And Professor Quirrell turned from the three children, and straightened at the podium to address the whole watching crowd; his customary air of detached amusement dropped away like a falling mask, and when he spoke again his voice was amplified louder than it had been.

"If not for Harry Potter," said Professor Quirrell, his voice as crisp and cold as December, "You-Know-Who would have won."

The silence was instant, and total.

"Make no mistake," said Professor Quirrell. "The Dark Lord was winning. There were fewer and fewer Aurors who dared face him, the vigilantes who opposed him were being hunted down. One Dark Lord and perhaps fifty Death Eaters were winning against a country of thousands. That is beyond ridiculous! There are no grades low enough for me to mark that incompetence!"

There was a frown on the face of Headmaster Dumbledore; and on the faces of the audience, puzzlement; and the utter silence went on.

"Do you understand now how it happened? You saw it today. I allowed traitors, and gave the generals no means to restrain them. You saw the result. Clever plots and clever betrayals, until the last soldier left on the battlefield shot himself! You cannot possibly doubt that all three of those armies could have been defeated by any outside foe that was unified within itself."

Professor Quirrell leaned forward at the podium, his voice now filled with a grim intensity. His right hand stretched out, fingers open and spread. "Division is weakness," said the Defense Professor. His hand closed into a tight fist. "Unity is strength. The Dark Lord understood that well, whatever his other follies; and he used that understanding to create the one simple invention that made him the most terrible Dark Lord in history. Your parents faced one Dark Lord. And fifty Death Eaters who were perfectly unified, knowing that any breach of their loyalty would be punished by death, that any slack or incompetence would be punished by pain. None could escape the Dark Lord's grasp once they took his Mark. And the Death Eaters agreed to take that terrible Mark because they knew that once they took it, they would be united, facing a divided land. One Dark Lord and fifty Death Eaters would have defeated an entire country, by the power of the Dark Mark."
And your parents would have faced the consequences of their despicable cowardice, if not for being saved by a one-year-old boy." Professor Quirrell's face showed full contempt. "A dramatist would have called that a dei ex machina, for they did nothing to earn their salvation. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named may not have deserved to win, but make no doubt of it, your parents deserved to lose."

The voice of the Defense Professor rang forth like iron. "And know this: your parents have learned nothing! The nation is still fragmented and weak! How few decades passed between Grindelwald and You-Know-Who? Do you think you will not see the next threat in your own lifetimes? Will you repeat then the follies of your parents, when you have seen the results so clearly laid out before you this day? For I can tell you what your parents will do, when the day of darkness comes! I can tell you what lesson they have learned! They have learned to hide like cowards and do nothing while they wait for Harry Potter to save them!"

This I foretell: When the next threat rises, Lucius Malfoy will claim that you must follow him or perish, that your only hope is to trust in his cruelty and strength. And though Lucius Malfoy himself will believe it, this will be a lie. For when the Dark Lord perished, Lucius Malfoy did not unite the Death Eaters, they were shattered in an instant, they fled like whipped dogs and betrayed each other! Lucius Malfoy is not strong enough to be a true Lord, Dark or other!

But I say that if a whole country were to find a leader as strong as the Dark Lord, but honorable and pure, and take his Mark; then they could crush any Dark Lord like an insect, and all the rest of our divided magical world could not threaten them. And if some still greater enemy rose against us in a war of extermination, then only a united magical world could survive."
I'm genuinely not opposed to Quirrelmort saying this. It's a reasonable thing for the villain / anti-hero of the piece to say. A bit of a strawman for Harriezer to rail against and compare to these darn scientific conformists who will not recognize his genius without any tangible accomplishments, but still.
Draco and Albus dislike this immensely, for different reasons:

quote:

"Such speeches are not for the ears of students," said Albus Dumbledore in a dangerously rising voice. "Nor for the mouths of professors!"

Dryly, then, Professor Quirrell spoke: "There were many speeches made for the ears of adults, as the Dark Lord rose. And the adults clapped and cheered, and went home having enjoyed their day's entertainment. But I will obey you, Headmaster, and make no further speeches if you do not like them. My lesson is simple. I will go on doing nothing about traitors, and we will see what students can do for themselves about that, when they do not wait for professors to save them."

And then Professor Quirrell turned back to his students, and his mouth quirked up in a wry grin that seemed to dissipate the dreadful pressure like a god blowing to scatter the clouds. "But do please be kind to the traitors up until now," said Professor Quirrell. "They were just having fun."

There was laughter, though it was nervous at first, and then it seemed to build, as Professor Quirrell stood there smiling wryly and some of the tension released itself.

Both Draco and Hermione wish for their house to win the House Cup:

quote:

"There were soldiers from every House in my army, and I don't mean to slight any of them. But Houses should still count for something, too. It was sad when students in the same House were hexing each other just because they were in different armies. People should be able to rely on whoever's in their House. That's why Godric Gryffindor, and Salazar Slytherin, and Rowena Ravenclaw, and Helga Hufflepuff created the four Houses of Hogwarts in the first place. I'm the General of Sunshine, but even before that, I'm Hermione Granger of Ravenclaw, and I'm proud to be part of a House that's eight hundred years old."
Because despite everything, they're not the protagonists, and are just that lame.

As to Harriezer:

quote:

There was a pause as Professor Quirrell looked at the parchment.

Then, without any change of expression on Professor Quirrell's face, the sheet of parchment burst into flames, and burned with a brief, intense fire that left only drifting black dust sprinkling down from his hand.

"Please confine yourself to the possible, Mr. Potter," said Professor Quirrell, sounding very dry indeed.

"I do hope," said Professor Quirrell, "that you prepared another wish, if I could not grant that one."

There was another pause.

Harry drew a deep breath. "I didn't," he said, "but I already thought of another one." Harry Potter turned to look out at the audience, and his voice firmed as he spoke. "People fear traitors because of the damage the traitor does directly, the soldiers they shoot or the secrets they tell. But that's only part of the danger. What people do because they're afraid of traitors also costs them. I used that strategy today against Sunshine and Dragon. I didn't tell my traitors to cause as much direct damage as possible. I told them to act in the way that would create the most distrust and confusion, and make the generals do the most costly things to try and stop them from doing it again. When there are just a few traitors and a whole country opposing them, it stands to reason that what a few traitors do might be less damaging than what a whole country does to stop them, that the cure might be worse than the disease -"

"Mr. Potter," said the Defense Professor, his voice suddenly cutting, "the lesson of history is that you are simply wrong. Your parents' generation did too little to unify themselves, not too much! This whole country almost fell, Mr. Potter, though you were not there to see it. I suggest that you ask your dorm-mates in Ravenclaw how many of them have lost family to the Dark Lord. Or if you are wiser, do not ask! Do you have a wish to make, Mr. Potter?"

"If you don't mind," said the mild voice of Albus Dumbledore, "I should like to hear what the Boy-Who-Lived has to say. He has more experience than either of us at stopping wars."

A few people laughed, but not many.

"Yes," said Harry Potter, "it was pretty difficult coming up with a wish to symbolize the costs of unity. But the problem of acting together isn't just for wars, it's something we have to solve all our lives, every day. If everyone is coordinating using the same rules, and the rules are stupid, then if one person decides to do things differently, they're breaking the rules. But if everyone decides to do things differently, they can. It's exactly the same problem of everyone needing to act together. But for the first person who speaks out, it seems like they're going against the crowd. And if you thought that the only important thing was that people should always be unified, then you could never change the game, no matter how stupid the rules. So my own wish, to symbolize what happens when people unite in the wrong direction, is that in Hogwarts we should play Quidditch without the Snitch."

"WHAT? " screamed a hundred voices in the crowd, as Draco's jaw dropped.

"The Snitch ruins the whole game," said Harry Potter. "Everything the other players do ends up being irrelevant. It would make overwhelmingly more sense to just buy a clock. It's one of those incredibly stupid things you don't notice just because you grew up with it, that people only do because everyone else is doing it -"

But by that point Harry Potter's voice could no longer be heard, because the riot had started.
JFC Harriezer. This is doubly annoying because I'm one of the "oh man, that loving snitch" people, and seeing it discussed iwith such... conviction... by Harriezer makes me feel bad.

Anyways, Quirrell:

quote:

"I mean that I shall grant three wishes using a single plot."

There was a confused silence.

"You can't do that," Harry said flatly from beside Draco. "Not even I can do that. Two of those wishes are mutually incompatible. It's logically impossible -" and then Harry cut himself off.

"You're a few years too young to tell me what I can't do, Mr. Potter," said Professor Quirrell, with a brief dry smile.

Then the Defense Professor turned back to the watching students. "Truthfully, I have no confidence in your ability to learn this day's lesson. Go home, and enjoy your time with your families, or what's left of them, while they still live. My own family is long since dead at the Dark Lord's hand. I shall see you all when classes resume."

In the speechless silence that resulted, Professor Quirrell already turning to walk off the stage, Draco heard the Defense Professor's voice say, quietly and no longer amplified, "But you, Mr. Potter, I would speak to now."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, that's part of the thing. Voldy is not an external enemy. He's not a random phenomenon. Hell, Grundewald is not a random phenomenon.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Tiggum posted:

And in terms of the plot, it's obviously just there to reduce a team conflict to an individual conflict so that Harry can be the winner, which is why Quidditch is cancelled in Goblet of Fire - Harry's already got his own contest so there's no need for it.

Yeah. But that doesn't make it believable in-universe. Furthermore (I'd say I'm ashamed to know this, but I'd be lying) someone catching the snitch yet not winning the game is a freak occurrence by professional league standards as well.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

Professional sports probably shouldn't be taken as seriously as they are, but sports in general (and other types of physical play) are social physical activities that are great for building teamwork, camaraderie, strength and skill. What's irrational about that?
In high school, mandatory physical activity has a crucial function in policing perceived adherence to social masculinity standards. We're on the internet, so maybe our perception is skewed towards nerd complaining about dumb jocks, and we've been entirely desensitized to the idea of "nerd persecution", particularly when carried over into real adult life, but... it's very much a thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 35: Coordination Problems, Pt 3

Quirrell calls Harry into his office and gives him the riot act about messing up Quirrell's poo poo without a warning (apparently a Slytherin no-no) and possibly losing his chance to have magical Britain pledge its allegiance to him:

quote:

It was very hard for Harry to control his breathing. "Professor Quirrell, I said a good deal less than I wished to say, but I had to say something. Your proposals are extremely alarming to anyone who has the slightest familiarity with Muggle history over the last century. The Italian fascists, some very nasty people, got their name from the fasces, a bundle of rods bound together to symbolize the idea that unity is strength -"

"So the nasty Italian fascists believed that unity is stronger than division," said Professor Quirrell. Sharpness was beginning to creep into his voice. "Perhaps they also believed that the sky is blue, and advocated a policy of not dropping rocks on your head."
"I see," said Professor Quirrell. His eyes closed briefly, then opened. "Mr. Potter, the stupidity of Quidditch is transparent to you because you did not grow up revering the game. If you had never heard of elections, Mr. Potter, and you simply saw what is there, what you saw would not please you.
"The last war, Mr. Potter, was fought between the Dark Lord and Dumbledore. And while Dumbledore was a flawed leader who was losing the war, it is ridiculous to suggest that any of the Ministers of Magic elected during that period could have taken Dumbledore's place! Strength flows from powerful wizards and their followers, not from elections and the fools they elect. That is the lesson of magical Britain's recent history; and I doubt that the next war will teach you a lesson any different. If you survive it, Mr. Potter, which you will not do unless you abandon the enthusiastic illusions of childhood!""

1. I'm fairly sure that a mischaracterization of the war against Voldermort. It was not between a handful of Austrian emigres alien invaders who took on an entire country and almost won, but an attempt at extremist takeover by a faction that nevertheless had a significant portion of sympathizers among the general population.

2. Harriezer kinda acknowledges this with him desire to to give Quirrell a read of "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich", but IRL democratic governments were far more effective that despotic ones, for obvious reasons, so even if we took Yud's / Quirrel's characterization of evens in the HPMOR universe at face value, we'd still be going up against historical / scientific consensus. (Not even touching upon how fundamentally absurd the implied correlation between "good at magic" and "good leader" Quirrell is suggesting is)

3. Yes, you heard me. I'd wager a guess that Yud doesn't really consider poli-sci / philosophy to be "real" science, what with no room for Bayesian analysis, but it would do him some good to read Locke / Voltaire / anyone who explain how much of an oxymoron a "benevolent dictator" is, and how things simply cannot work well even if you have a magnificently wise and utterly well intentioned man as a tyrant.

quote:

"I am no friend of Albus Dumbledore," said Harry, a cold in his voice to match Professor Quirrell's. "But he is no child, and he did not seem to think my concerns were childish, nor that I should have waited to speak them."

"Oh," said Professor Quirrell, "so you take your cues from the Headmaster now, do you?" and stood up from behind his desk.
So they finish with that, and I'm not sure whether Harry was somewhat convinced by the arguments presented by Quirrell because Yud intended them to be convincing or not.

quote:

"I am no friend of Albus Dumbledore," said Harry, a cold in his voice to match Professor Quirrell's. "But he is no child, and he did not seem to think my concerns were childish, nor that I should have waited to speak them."

"Oh," said Professor Quirrell, "so you take your cues from the Headmaster now, do you?" and stood up from behind his desk.

Here's an aside. I'm re-reading my Strugatsky brothers collection for the whatever time. Some of my favorite sci-fi writers, insofar as they are capable of writing characters and dialog, and not merely situations and themes. One of their earliest works, Space Apprentice, is still a bit shallow and juvenile, but it has some solid stuff in it. Specifically, it starts out with the titular apprentice making an utter fool of himself, by revealing (shock and horror) that you probably don't have a very well developed ideology / outlook at the ripe old age of 16. The narrative deals (in part) with what Yuri learns during his apprenticeship and how he develops as a person. Kinda of a given for most genres, but relatively rare in sci-fi fiction, much less the sort of fiction Yud would read (unless, of course, we're talking about embracing the Hero's Journey as a prescriptive Holy Bible, which... not quite what I mean).

Anyways, I dislike Harriezer as a fully-formed Bayesian superman at the age of 11, and being actually tempted by power as an Evil Overlord and having to overcome it might make for interesting character development (if it isn't dropped like every other blah blah blah). As the founder of a cult, Yud is surely familiar with the temptations of power and the various excuses for grabbing it.

Thing is, you'd kinda have to explain to the reader why Quirrell's arguments are persuasive to Harriezer but generally shallow bullshit, which... doesn't really happen.

Meanwhile:

quote:

"Blaise Zabini," said the Defense Professor, straightening; his eyes were set like dark stones within his face, and his voice sent a shiver of fear down Blaise's spine.

"You did not devise the plan of today's battle, Mr. Zabini. Tell me who did."

Blaise swallowed hard. "Well... I mean, in that case... then you already know who did, right? The only one who's that crazy is Dumbledore. And he'll protect me if you try to do anything."

"Indeed. Tell me the price." The Defense Professor's eyes were still hard.

"It's my cousin Kimberly," Blaise said, swallowing again and trying to control his voice. "She's real, and she's really being bullied, Potter checked that, he wasn't dumb. Only Dumbledore said that he'd nudged the bullies into doing it, just for the plan, and if I worked for him she'd be fine afterward, but if I did go with Potter, there was more trouble Kimberly could get into!"
Harry is witnessing all this under an invisibility cloak.

quote:

" There was a strange and complicated plot, which you should have realized was uncharacteristic of the young Slytherin you faced. But there is a person in this school who deals in plots that elaborate, and his name is not Zabini. And I did warn you that there was a quadruple agent; you knew that Zabini was at least a triple agent, and you should have guessed a high chance that it was he. No, I will not declare the battle invalid. All three of you failed the test, and lost to your common enemy."

Harry didn't care about tests at this point. "Dumbledore blackmailed Zabini by threatening his cousin? Just to make our battle end in a tie? Why? "

Professor Quirrell gave a mirthless laugh. "Perhaps the Headmaster thought the rivalry was good for his pet hero and wished to see it continue. For the greater good, you understand. Or perhaps he was simply mad. You see, Mr. Potter, everyone knows that Dumbledore's madness is a mask, that he is sane pretending to be insane. They pride themselves on that clever insight, and knowing the secret explanation, they stop looking. It does not occur to them that it is also possible to have a mask behind the mask, to be insane pretending to be sane pretending to be insane. And I am afraid, Mr. Potter, that I have urgent business elsewhere, and must depart; but I should strongly advise you not to take your cues from Albus Dumbledore when fighting a war. Until later, Mr. Potter."

quote:

Aftermath: Harry Potter

t had taken him more than a minute after Professor Quirrell's departure to realize that his only source of information about Dumbledore being involved was (a) Blaise Zabini, who he would have to be an absolute gaping idiot to trust again, and (b) Professor Quirrell, who could have easily faked a plot in Dumbledore's style, and who might also think that a little student rivalry was a fine thing; and who had, if you stepped back and blurred out the details, just proposed turning the country into a magical dictatorship.

And it was also possible that Dumbledore was the one behind Zabini, and that Professor Quirrell had been sincerely trying to fight the Dark Mark in kind, and prevent the repetition of a performance he saw as pathetic. Trying to make sure that Harry didn't end up fighting the Dark Lord alone, while everyone else hid, frightened, trying to stay out of the line of fire, waiting for Harry to save them.

But the truth was...

Well...

Harry was sort of okay with that.

It was, he knew, the kind of thing that was supposed to make heroes resentful and bitter.

To heck with that. Harry was very much in favor of everyone else staying out of danger while the Boy-Who-Lived took down the Dark Lord by himself, plus or minus a small number of companions. If the next conflict with the Dark Lord got to the point of a Second Wizarding War that killed lots of people and embroiled a whole country, that would mean Harry had already failed.
This... is not the worst bit of writing, if intentional. Quirrell is settings things up so that whatever Harriezer decides, he's going to be nudged in the Overlord direction. Except, maybe:

quote:

The real reason why Harry had no intention of being argued into endorsing a Light Mark, no matter how much it would help him in his fight against the Dark Lord.

One Dark Lord and fifty Marked followers had been a peril to all of magical Britain.

If all Britain took the Mark of a strong leader, they would be a peril to the whole magical world.

And if the whole wizarding world took a single Mark, they would be a danger to the rest of humanity.

No one knew quite how many wizards there were in the world. He'd done a few estimates with Hermione and come up with numbers in the rough range of a million.

But there were six billion Muggles.

If it came down to a final war...

Professor Quirrell had forgotten to ask Harry which side he would protect.

A scientific civilization, reaching outward, looking upward, knowing that its destiny was to grasp the stars.

And a magical civilization, slowly fading as knowledge was lost, still governed by a nobility that saw Muggles as not quite human.

It was a terribly sad feeling, but not one that held any hint of doubt.

quote:

Aftermath: Blaise Zabini.

"Report," whispered Mr. Hat and Cloak.

"I said just what you told me to," said Blaise. His voice was a little calmer now that he wasn't lying to anyone. "And Professor Quirrell reacted just the way you expected."

Blaise hesitated, but his curiosity was eating him alive. "Can I ask now why you want to cause trouble between Professor Quirrell and Dumbledore?" The Headmaster hadn't had anything to do with the Gryffindor bullies that Blaise knew about, and besides helping Kimberly, the Headmaster had also offered to make Professor Binns give him excellent marks in History of Magic even if he turned in blank parchments for his homework, though he'd still have to attend class and pretend to hand them in. Actually Blaise would have betrayed all three generals for free, and never mind his cousin either, but he'd seen no need to say that.

The broad black hat cocked to one side, as if to convey a quizzical stare. "Tell me, friend Blaise, did it occur to you that traitors who betray so many times over often meet with ill ends?"

"Nope," said Blaise, looking straight into the black mist under the hat. "Everyone knows that nothing really bad ever happens to students in Hogwarts.

My mother never got any vengeances," said Blaise proudly. "Even though she married seven husbands and every single one of them died mysteriously and left her lots of money."

"Really?" said the whisper. "However did she persuade the seventh to marry her after he heard what happened to the first six?"

"I asked Mum that," said Blaise, "and she said I couldn't know until I was old enough, and I asked her how old was old enough, and she said, older than her."

Blaise straightened, feeling a little insulted, and nodded to Mr. Hat and Cloak; then turned decisively and strode off toward his meeting with the Headmaster.

He'd been hoping to the very end that someone else would show up and give him a chance to sell out Mr. Hat and Cloak.

But then Mum hadn't betrayed seven different husbands at the same time. When you looked at it that way, he was still doing better than her.

And Blaise Zabini went on walking toward the Headmaster's office, smiling, content to be a quintuple agent -

For a moment the boy stumbled, but then straightened, shaking off the odd feeling of disorientation.

And Blaise Zabini went on walking toward the Headmaster's office, smiling, content to be a quadruple agent.
Who oh who could that mysterious figure be. Will we ever find out?

quote:

Aftermath: Hermione Granger.

"Miss Granger," said Professor McGonagall, "let me start by saying that I already know about the Headmaster asking you to make that wish -"

"He told you?" blurted Hermione in startlement. The Headmaster had said no one else was supposed to know!

Professor McGonagall paused, looked at Hermione, and gave a sad little chuckle. "It's good to see Mr. Potter hasn't corrupted you too much. Miss Granger, you aren't supposed to admit anything just because I say I know. As it happens, the Headmaster did not tell me, I simply know him too well."

Hermione was blushing furiously now.

"It's fine, Miss Granger!" said Professor McGonagall hastily. "You're a Ravenclaw in your first year, nobody expects you to be a Slytherin."

That really stung.

"Fine," said Hermione with some acerbity, "I'll go ask Harry Potter for Slytherin lessons, then."

"That wasn't what I wanted to..." said Professor McGonagall, and her voice trailed off. "Miss Granger, I'm worried about this because young Ravenclaw girls shouldn't have to be Slytherins! If the Headmaster asks you to get involved in something you're not comfortable with, Miss Granger, it really is all right to say no. And if you're feeling pressured, please tell the Headmaster that you would like me to be there, or that you would like to ask me first."

Professor McGonagall leaned forward over her desk. The worry was showing plainer on her face now. "Miss Granger, it's not about courage, it's about what's healthy for young girls! The Headmaster is drawing you into his plots, Harry Potter is giving you his secrets to keep, and now you're making alliances with Draco Malfoy! And I promised your mother that you would be safe at Hogwarts!"

Hermione just didn't know what to say to that. But the thought was occurring to her that Professor McGonagall might not have been warning her if she'd been a boy in Gryffindor instead of a girl in Ravenclaw and that was, well... "I'll try to be good," she said, "and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise."

Professor McGonagall pressed her hands over her eyes. When she took them away, her lined face looked very old. "Yes," she said in a whisper, "you would have done well in my House. Stay safe, Miss Granger, and be careful. And if you are ever worried or uncomfortable about anything, please come to me at once. I won't keep you any longer."
Giiiiiiirls can't play sports! Don't be absurd.

And it's good to see that McGonnal is still an ineffectual interfering biddy trying to treat children like children, no matter who she is interacting with.

quote:

Aftermath, Draco Malfoy:

"Hermione Granger is a muuudbloood," sang Harry Potter from where he sat at a nearby desk, reading a far more advanced book of his own.

"I know what you're trying to do," said Draco calmly without looking up from the pages. "It's not going to work. We're still ganging up and crushing you."

"A Maaaalfoy is working with a muuudbloood, what will all your father's frieeeends think -"

"They'll think Malfoys aren't as easily manipulated as you seem to believe, Potter! "

The Defense Professor was crazier than Dumbledore, no future saviour of the world could ever be this childish and undignified at any age.

"So what did you wish the first time?" said Draco.

Harry didn't say anything, so Draco looked up from his book, and felt a twinge of malicious satisfaction at the sad look on Harry's face.

"Um," Harry said. "A lot of people asked me that, but I don't think Professor Quirrell would have wanted me to talk about it."

Draco put a serious look on his own face. "You can talk about it with me. It's probably not important compared to the other secrets you've told me, and what else are friends for?" That's right, I'm your friend! Feel guilty!

"It wasn't really all that interesting," Harry said with obviously artificial lightness. "Just, I wish Professor Quirrell would teach Battle Magic again next year."
To a large extent, this is a Q/H slashfic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 36: Status Differentials

quote:

Wrenching disorientation, that was how it felt to walk out of Platform Nine and Three-Quarters into the rest of Earth, the world that Harry had once thought was the only real world. People dressed in casual shirts and pants, instead of the more dignified robes of wizards and witches. Scattered bits of trash here and there around the benches. A forgotten smell, the fumes of burned gasoline, raw and sharp in the air. The ambiance of the King's Cross train station, less bright and cheerful than Hogwarts or Diagon Alley; the people seemed smaller, more afraid, and likely would have eagerly traded their problems for a dark wizard to fight. Harry wanted to cast Scourgify for the dirt, and Everto for the garbage, and if he'd known the spell, a Bubble-Head Charm so he wouldn't have to breathe the air. But he couldn't use his wand, in this place...

This, Harry realized, must be what it felt like to go from a First World country to a Third World country.

Only it was the Zeroth World which Harry had left, the wizarding world, of Cleansing Charms and house elves; where, between the healer's arts and your own magic, you could hit one hundred and seventy before old age really started catching up with you.
Hmm. The movies give a lot of wizard public spaces a Dickensian-England sort of air, but they wouldn't have any manufacturing, and I don't think horses are ever mentioned, what with the many alternate modes of transportation. So I guess the wizarding world could be a lot cleaner? (They do have a magic train though. Is it the only one?)

The healthcare is definitely better, by all appearances.

And food... I'm pretty sure that the HP / HPMOR universe does not allow for the creation of food, but it can improve appearance / taste / nutritional value. (I'm actually merely presuming this is the case, much like the one person earlier in the thread who presumed that the HP universe has mana pools - because almost every modern spellcasting system contains that proviso, completely ignoring the fact that creating food out of thin air is one of the ur-magic acts)

So, I'll allow this, and note that it makes for an interesting inversion from the "backwards wizards, advanced moogles" thing found elsewhere in HP / HPMOR

quote:

"Harry?" called a thin, blonde woman whose perfectly smooth and unblemished skin made her look a good deal younger than thirty-three; and Harry realized with a start that it was magic, he hadn't known the signs before but he could see them now. And whatever sort of potion lasted that long, it must have been terribly dangerous, because most witches didn't do that to themselves, they weren't that desperate...

There was water gathering in Harry's eyes.

"Harry? " yelled an older-looking man with a paunch gathering about his stomach, dressed with ostentatious academic carelessness in a black vest thrown over a dark grey-green shirt, someone who would always be a professor anywhere he went, who would certainly have been one of the most brilliant wizards of his generation, if he'd been born with two copies of that gene, instead of zero...

Harry raised his hand and waved to them. He couldn't speak. He couldn't speak at all.

They came over to him, not running, but at a steady, dignified walk; that was how fast Professor Michael Verres-Evans walked, and Mrs. Petunia Evans-Verres wasn't about to walk any faster.
Still terrible people.

quote:

It hadn't hurt quite so much when his parents didn't believe in him, back when no one else had believed in him either, back when Harry hadn't known how it felt to be taken seriously by people like Headmaster Dumbledore and Professor Quirrell.

And that was when Harry realized that the Boy-Who-Lived only existed in magical Britain, that there wasn't any such person in Muggle London, just a cute little eleven-year-old boy going home for Christmas.

"Hello, Mum," Harry said with his voice wavering, "I'm back." And he hugged her, amid the noisy mechanical sounds and the smell of burned gasoline; and Harry started crying, because he knew that nothing could go back, least of all him.

Harry's house has lots and lots of books, because that's a sign of smart academic people - always adding books, and never giving any away.

quote:

Gringotts had readily exchanged Galleons for paper money, but they didn't seem to have any simple way to turn larger quantities of gold into tax-free, unsuspicious Muggle money in a numbered Swiss bank account. This had rather spiked Harry's plan to turn most of the money he'd self-stolen into a sensible mix of 60% international index funds and 40% Berkshire Hathaway. For the moment, Harry had diversified his assets a little further by sneaking out late at night, invisible and Time-Turned, and burying one hundred golden Galleons in the backyard. He'd always always always wanted to do that anyway.
I suppose whoever thought the five-year-old "only five Galleons, but an unlimited amount of Knuts" logic was the correct explanation gets a no-prize. I still contend that's less of a clever workaround, and more of a blatant and willfully dense cheat.

Also, I'm in my thirties and I have no idea what international index funds are (much less Berkshire Hathaway). I can actually buy a science / science-fiction obsessed 11 year old Harriezer knowing the terms he shows off in the first few chapters more than suddenly being interested in financial manipulation.

quote:

Some of December 24th had been spent with the Professor reading Harry's books and asking questions. Most of the experiments his father had suggested were impractical, at least for the moment; of those remaining, Harry had done many of them already. ("Yes, Dad, I checked what happened if Hermione was given a changed pronunciation and she didn't know whether it was changed, that was the very first experiment I did, Dad!")

The last question Harry's father had asked, looking up from Magical Draughts and Potions with an expression of bewildered disgust, was whether it all made sense if you were a wizard; and Harry had answered no.

Whereupon his father had declared that magic was unscientific.

Harry was still a little shocked at the idea of pointing to a section of reality and calling it unscientific. Dad seemed to think that the conflict between his intuitions and the universe meant that the universe had a problem.

(Then again, there were lots of physicists who thought that quantum mechanics was weird, instead of quantum mechanics being normal and them being weird.)

quote:

Harry had shown his mother the healer's kit he'd bought to keep in their house, though most of the potions wouldn't work on Dad. Mum had stared at the kit in a way that made Harry ask whether Mum's sister had ever bought anything like that for Grandpa Edwin and Grandma Elaine. And when Mum still hadn't answered, Harry had said hastily that she must have just never thought of it. And then, finally, he'd fled the room.

Lily Evans probably hadn't thought of it, that was the sad thing. Harry knew that other people had a tendency to not-think about painful subjects, in the same way they had a tendency not to deliberately rest their hands on red-hot stove burners; and Harry was starting to suspect that most Muggleborns rapidly acquired a tendency to not-think about their family, who were all going to die before they reached their first century anyway.

Not that Harry had any intention of letting that happen, of course.
Can someone explain to me what on earth Yud is trying to say here?

Harry and family go off to visit Hermione and family, since both families are convinced that two eleven year olds liking each other is a sure sign that a marriage is on the horizon. At least that's consistent with the HP universe?

And of course Harriezer is furious at being treated like an 11 year old.

quote:

Roberta took in her first sight of Professor and Mrs. Verres, who were both looking rather nervous, just as the boy with the legendary scar on his forehead turned to her daughter and said, now in a lower voice, "Well met on this fairest of evenings, Miss Granger." His hand stretched back, as though offering his parents on a silver platter. "I present to you my father, Professor Michael Verres-Evans, and my mother, Mrs. Petunia Evans-Verres."

And as Roberta's mouth was gaping open, the boy turned back to his parents and said, now in that bright voice again, "Mum, Dad, this is Hermione! She's really smart!"

"Harry! " hissed her daughter. "Stop that!"

The boy swiveled again to regard Hermione. "I'm afraid, Miss Granger," the boy said gravely, "that you and I have been exiled to the labyrinthine recesses of the basement. Let us leave them to their adult conversations, which would no doubt soar far above our own childish intellects, and resume our ongoing discussion of the implications of Humean projectivism for Transfiguration."

"Excuse us, please," said her daughter in a very firm tone, and grabbed the boy by his left sleeve, and dragged him into the hallway - Roberta swiveled helplessly to track them as they went past her, the boy gave her a cheery wave - and then Hermione pulled the boy into the basement access and slammed the door behind her.

"I, ah, I apologize for..." said Mrs. Verres in a faltering voice.

"I'm sorry," said the Professor, smiling fondly, "Harry can be a bit touchy about that sort of thing. But I expect he's right about us not being interested in their conversation."
Roberta had been increasingly apprehensive about giving her daughter over to witchcraft - especially after she'd read the books, put the dates together, and realized that her magical mother had probably been killed at the height of Grindelwald's terror, not died giving birth to her as her father had always claimed. But Professor McGonagall had made other visits after her first trip, to "see how Miss Granger is doing"; and Roberta couldn't help but think that if Hermione said her parents were being troublesome about her witching career, something would be done to fix them...

Roberta put her best smile on her face, and did what she could to spread some pretended Christmas cheer.

But he's even more infuriated about Hermione being treated like an eleven year old.

quote:

the problem with feeling sorry for yourself was that it never took any time at all to find someone else who had it worse.

At another point, Leo Granger had offered the table his opinion that Hermione was very smart and could have gone to medical school and become a dentist, if not for the whole witch business.

Hermione had smiled again, and a quick glance had prevented Harry from suggesting Hermione might also have been an internationally famous scientist, and asking whether that thought would've occurred to the Grangers if they'd had a son instead of a daughter, or if it was unacceptable either way for their offspring to do better than them.

But Harry was rapidly reaching his boiling point.

And becoming a lot more appreciative of the fact that his own father had always done everything he could to support Harry's development as a prodigy and always encouraged him to reach higher and never belittled a single one of his accomplishments, even if a child prodigy was still just a child. Was this the sort of household he could have ended up in, if Mum had married Vernon Dursley?

Hermione was giggling, and that wasn't making Harry feel any better about her situation. It didn't seem to bother Hermione and that bothered Harry.

"Don't worry, Dad," Harry said, "she's getting all the advanced material she can take, now. Her teachers at Hogwarts know she's smart, unlike her parents! "

His voice had risen on the last three words, and even as all faces turned to stare at him and Hermione kicked him again, Harry knew that he'd blown it, but it was too much, just way too much.

"Of course we know she's smart," said Leo Granger, starting to look offended at the child who'd had the temerity to raise his voice at their dinner table.

"You don't have the tiniest idea," said Harry, the ice now leaking into his voice. "You think she reads a lot of books and it's cute, right? You see a perfect report card and you think it's good that she's doing well in class. Your daughter is the most talented witch of her generation and the brightest star of Hogwarts, and someday, Dr. and Dr. Granger, the fact that you were her parents will be the only reason that history remembers you!"

Hermione held up a single finger, and Harry waited, watching her search for words. It took her a while before she said, "Harry... Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick like me because I'm the most talented witch of my generation and the brightest star of Hogwarts. And Mum and Dad don't know that, and you'll never be able to tell them, but they love me anyway. Which means that everything is just the way it should be, at Hogwarts and at home. And since they're my parents, Mr. Potter, you don't get to argue." She was once again smiling her mysterious smile from dinnertime, and looking at Harry very fondly. "Is that clear, Mr. Potter?"
I don't think we get any characterization for the Granger's in the HP universe (beyond the telling fact that Hermione did not hesitate to mind-wipe them and ship them off to Australia), but this isn't necessarily the worst bit of writing. Both insofar as how bright girls are often treated, and in that it's Hermione's business, rather than Harry's.

quote:

The conversation had only just gotten started again when a distant high-pitched yelp floated back to them,

"Hey! No kissing! "

The two fathers burst out in laughter just as the two mothers rose up from their chairs with identical looks of horror and dashed toward the basement.

When the children had been brought back, Hermione was saying in an icy tone that she was never going to kiss Harry ever again, and Harry was saying in an outraged voice that the Sun would burn down to a cold dead cinder before he let her get close enough to try.

Which meant that everything was just the way it should be, and they all sat back down again to finish their Christmas dinner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3rJqHWYjs&t=33s

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Wait, potions don't work on muggles?
They do. They work on muggle in the HPMOR universe. They worked on Petunia.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Colin Mockery posted:

I think there's something deeply ironic about the fact that the original book series has a not-insignificant theme regarding the inevitability of death and the contrast between the villain's (fittingly named "Flight from Death" in French) depraved/pathetic/desperate attempts to seek immortality, driven by a fear of the unknown and a fear of death, compared against the mentor figure's embrace and acceptance of death (and, in fact, his acceptance of an early death by the Killing Curse, in order to protect a child who has lost his way) as an inevitability that should not be feared.

And then you've got the Singularity cultists and Peter Thiel and Yud and they're all so terrified of dying and desperately trying to figure out ways to upload their brains into computers or inject young people's blood into their veins so they can live forever.
We'll get into this more in-depth shortly, but I'm fairly sure this is not specifically the issue Yud was trying to address there - he's not subtle about that particular horse.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 37: Interlude: Crossing the Boundary

quote:

It was almost midnight.

Staying up late was simple enough for Harry. He just hadn't used the Time-Turner. Harry followed a tradition of timing his sleep cycle to make sure he was awake for when Christmas Eve turned into Christmas Day; because while he'd never been young enough to believe in Santa Claus, he'd once been young enough to doubt.

It would have been nice if there had been a mysterious figure who entered your house in the night and brought you presents...

A chill went down Harry's spine then.

An intimation of something dreadful approaching.

A creeping terror.

A sense of doom.

Harry sat bolt upright in bed.

He looked at the window.

"Professor Quirrell? " Harry shrieked very quietly.
S-senpai?

Not the least bit creepy.

quote:

"No one's supposed to know where I am!" said Harry, still keeping the shriek quiet. "Even owls are supposed to deliver my mail to Hogwarts, not here!" Harry had agreed to that willingly; it would be silly if a Death Eater could win the whole war at any time just by owling him a magically triggered hand grenade.

Professor Quirrell was grinning, from where he stood in the backyard beyond the window. "Oh, I shouldn't worry, Mr. Potter. You are well protected against locating Charms, and no blood purist is likely to think of consulting a phone book."
Um.

quote:

"Put on your winter coat," said Professor Quirrell, "or take a warming potion if you have one; and meet me outside, under the stars. I shall see if I can maintain it a little longer this time."

It took Harry a moment to process the words, and then he was dashing for the coat closet.

Professor Quirrell kept the spell of starlight going for more than an hour, though the Defense Professor's face grew strained, and he had to sit down after a while. Harry protested only once, and was shushed.

They crossed the boundary from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day within that timeless void where Earthly rotations meant nothing, the one true everlasting Silent Night.

And just as promised, Harry's parents slept soundly all through it, until Harry was safely back in his room, and the Defense Professor had gone.
And that's that for the chapter. Pretend I've done that joke where I misrepresent Quirrell and Harry spending time together after Quirrell roofied Harry's parents as even creepier than it already is.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 19, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 38: The Cardinal Sin

quote:

Harry took out his wizards' robes and wizard hat, shrugged them on.

And finally, Harry drew his wand; and he couldn't help thinking of the parents he'd only just kissed goodbye, of the world whose problems he was leaving behind...

With a strange feeling of guilt for the unavoidable, Harry said, "Thermos."

The warmth flowed through him.

And the Boy-Who-Lived was back.

quote:

what he needed was something completely frivolous to occupy his attention...

Well, that wouldn't be hard to come by, if he was willing to part with four Knuts.

Besides, if the Daily Prophet was corrupt and the Quibbler was the only competing newspaper, there might be some suppressed real news in there.

And then Harry's voice stopped in his throat, as he caught sight of the top fold of the Quibbler.

SLOSHED SEER SPILLS SECRETS:
DARK LORD TO RETURN,

Four Knuts hit the counter. "One copy of the Quibbler, please."

"Oh, no worries, Mr. Potter!" said the vendor hastily, waving his hands. "It's - never mind, just -"

A newspaper flew through the air and hit Harry's fingers, and he unfolded it.

SLOSHED SEER SPILLS SECRETS:
DARK LORD TO RETURN,
WED DRACO MALFOY

"It's free," said the vendor, "for you, I mean -"

"No," Harry said, "I was going to buy one anyway."

The vendor took the coins, and Harry read on.

"Gosh," Harry said half a minute later, "you get a seer smashed on six slugs of Scotch and she spills all sorts of secret stuff. I mean, who'd have thought that Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew were secretly the same person?"

"Not me," said the vendor.

"They've even got a picture of the two of them together, so we know who it is that's secretly the same person."

"Yup," said the vendor. "Pretty clever disguise, innit?"

"And I'm secretly sixty-five years old."

"You don't look half that," the vendor said amiably.

"And I'm betrothed to Hermione Granger, and Bellatrix Black, and Luna Lovegood, and oh yes, Draco Malfoy too..."

"Goin' ter be one interesting wedding," said the vendor.

"Something's got to go really wrong with the inside of your head before this is what comes out when you start making stuff up!"

The vendor stared at Harry.

"Seriously," said Harry. "Who reads this stuff?"

"You," said the vendor.
Randoms dunking on Harriezer never gets old. Particularly when he goes into a passionate rant that impresses no one. Shame that brief spark of self-awareness is not often repeated.

quote:

Harry was just reading about the Ministry's proposed marriage law, to ban all marriages, when -

"Harry Potter," said a silken voice that sent a shock of adrenaline jolting through Harry's blood.

Harry looked up.

"Lucius Malfoy," Harry said, his voice weary. Next time he was going to do the smart thing, and wait outside in the Muggle part of King's Cross until 10:55am.

"I apologize for disturbing you, Mr. Potter," said the smooth, silken voice. "But you have answered none of my owls; and this, I thought, might be my only opportunity to meet you."

"I have received none of your owls," Harry said calmly. "Dumbledore intercepted them, I presume. But I would not have answered them if I had, except through Draco. For me to deal with you directly, without Draco's knowledge, would trespass on our friendship."

Please go away, please go away...

The grey eyes glittered at him. "Is that your pose, then..." said the senior Malfoy. "Well. I shall play along a little. What was your purpose in maneuvering your good friend, my son, into a public alliance with that girl?"

"Oh," Harry said lightly, "that's obvious, right? Draco's working with Granger will make him realize that Muggleborns are human after all. Bwa. Ha. Ha."

A thin trace of a smile moved over Lucius's lips. "Yes, that does sound like one of Dumbledore's plans. Which it is not."

"Indeed," said Harry. "It is part of my game with Draco, and no work of Dumbledore's, and that is all I will say."

"Let us dispense with games," said the senior Malfoy, the grey eyes suddenly hardening. "If my suspicions are true, you would hardly do Dumbledore's bidding in any case, Mr. Potter."

There was a slight pause.

"So you know," Harry said, his voice cold. "Tell me. At which point, exactly, did you realize?"

"When I read your response to Professor Quirrell's little speech," said the white-haired man, and chuckled grimly. "I was puzzled, at first, for it seemed not in your own interest; it took me days to understand whose interest was being served, and then it all finally became clear. And it is also obvious that you are weak, in some ways if not others."

"Very clever of you," said Harry, still cold. "But perhaps you mistake my interests."
It took me a while to figure out what's going on here. It's basically an autistic shut-in attempting to emulate Roger Zealazny banter between two characters who are unsure as to what the other knows about their machinations, and unwilling to reveal the extent of their own knowledge.

Except written by Yudkowsky.

Neville's grandma comes along to defend Harry:

quote:

"I doubt it is the world that is mad," said Madam Longbottom. Her voice took on a gloating tone. "You seem in a poor mood, Mr. Malfoy. Did the speech of our dear Professor Quirrell cost you a few allies?"

"It was a clever enough slander of my abilities," Lucius said coldly, "though only effective upon the fools who believe that I was truly a Death Eater."

"What? " blurted Neville.

"I was under the Imperius, young man," said Lucius, now sounding tired. "The Dark Lord could hardly have begun recruiting among pureblood families without the support of House Malfoy. I demurred, and he simply made sure of me. His own Death Eaters did not know it until afterward, hence the false Mark I bear; though since I did not truly consent, it does not bind me. Some of the Death Eaters still believe I was foremost among their number, and for the peace of this nation I let them believe it, to keep them controlled. But I was not such a fool as to support that ill-fated adventurer of my own choice -"

"Ignore him," Madam Longbottom said, the instruction addressed to Harry as well as Neville. "He must spend the rest of his life pretending, for fear of your testimony under Veritaserum." Said with malicious satisfaction.

Long story short:

quote:

"My son is my heart," said the senior Malfoy, "the last worthwhile thing I have left in this world, and this I say to you in a spirit of friendship: if he were to come to harm, I would give my life over to vengeance. But so long as my son does not come to harm, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. And as you have asked nothing more of me, I will ask nothing more of you."

Then the pale haze vanished, showing an outraged Madam Longbottom being blocked from moving forward by the senior Crabbe; her wand was in her hand, now.

"How dare you!" she hissed.

Lucius's dark robes swirled around him, and his white hair, as he turned to the senior Goyle. "We return to Malfoy Manor."

There were three pops of Apparition, and they were gone.

quote:

"You have wrought many changes in my grandson," said Madam Longbottom. "I approve of some, but not others."

"Send me the list of which is which," said Harry. "I'll see what I can do."

Neville groaned, but said nothing.

Madam Longbottom gave a chuckle. "I shall, young man, thank you." Her voice lowered. "Mr. Potter... the speech given by Professor Quirrell is something our nation has long needed to hear. I cannot say as much of your comment on it."

"I will take your opinion under advisement," Harry said mildly.

Neville spoke first, his voice weary. "You're going to try to fix all the changes she approves of, right?"

"Not all of them," Harry said innocently. "I just want to make sure I'm not corrupting you."
Hah, old people / parent figures.

quote:

"What did you say to Father?" blurted Draco, the moment the Quieting Charm went up and the sounds of Platform 9 3/4 vanished.

Harry leaned back wearily in the small folding chair that sat at the bottom of his trunk's cavern. "You know, Draco, just as the fundamental question of rationality is 'What do I think I know and how do I think I know it?', there's also a cardinal sin, a way of thinking that's the opposite of that. Like the ancient Greek philosophers. They had no clue what was going on, so they'd go around saying things like 'All is water' or 'All is fire', and they never asked themselves, 'Wait a minute, even if everything is water, how could I possibly know that?' They didn't ask themselves if they had evidence which discriminated that possibility from all the other possibilities you could imagine, evidence they'd be very unlikely to encounter if the theory wasn't true -"

"Harry," Draco said, his voice strained, "What did you talk about with Father? "

"I don't know, actually," said Harry, "so it's very important that I not just make stuff up -"

Harry had never heard Draco shriek in horror in quite that high a pitch before.
Again, I'm quite convinced that a fair bit of the insinuations are involved were written without the author having any concrete idea as to what they meant.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Exercu posted:

There's also the bit where Harriezer tries to sum up pre-socratic philosophy in "oh they believed "all is fire" or "all is water" without asking themselves the question how they could possibly know that" etc. which is a gross misconception of both Heraclitus and Thales, of course.
Sure. My education on Greek philosophers started with Socrates, so I couldn't be sure which parts of the whole thing were wrong. Well spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cyrai posted:

I haven't been able to follow much of anything for a while now.
If the initial reference doesn't make sense to you, try the "I know you know I know" battle of wits from the Princess Bride, except the author never bothered to establish what each character actually knows.