Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xander77 posted:

I don't think we get any characterization for the Granger's in the HP universe (beyond the telling fact that Hermione did not hesitate to mind-wipe them and ship them off to Australia), but this isn't necessarily the worst bit of writing. Both insofar as how bright girls are often treated, and in that it's Hermione's business, rather than Harry's.

I don't see how "she'd probably have gone to medical school if she hadn't been magic" translates to "she's not smart" though. Her parents are both dentists and they probably think of themselves as pretty smart, so it's not exactly an insult to say their daughter could also be a dentist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Xander77 posted:

Can someone explain to me what on earth Yud is trying to say here?

I think there's something deeply ironic about the fact that the original book series has a not-insignificant theme regarding the inevitability of death and the contrast between the villain's (fittingly named "Flight from Death" in French) depraved/pathetic/desperate attempts to seek immortality, driven by a fear of the unknown and a fear of death, compared against the mentor figure's embrace and acceptance of death (and, in fact, his acceptance of an early death by the Killing Curse, in order to protect a child who has lost his way) as an inevitability that should not be feared.

And then you've got the Singularity cultists and Peter Thiel and Yud and they're all so terrified of dying and desperately trying to figure out ways to upload their brains into computers or inject young people's blood into their veins so they can live forever.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Colin Mockery posted:

I think there's something deeply ironic about the fact that the original book series has a not-insignificant theme regarding the inevitability of death and the contrast between the villain's (fittingly named "Flight from Death" in French) depraved/pathetic/desperate attempts to seek immortality, driven by a fear of the unknown and a fear of death, compared against the mentor figure's embrace and acceptance of death (and, in fact, his acceptance of an early death by the Killing Curse, in order to protect a child who has lost his way) as an inevitability that should not be feared.

And then you've got the Singularity cultists and Peter Thiel and Yud and they're all so terrified of dying and desperately trying to figure out ways to upload their brains into computers or inject young people's blood into their veins so they can live forever.

Yes, completely. Any sensible person would be. One major reason I like HPMOR, despite its many silly parts, is because it has a anti-deathist agenda.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Even though I disagree with 90% of Yud's view on the matter, yeah, I really don't see anything wrong with "Fanfiction as argument with the creator."

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
On the one hand, I really don't like dying, in the present or future tense. On the other hand, Big Yud is a massive prat

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

reignonyourparade posted:

Even though I disagree with 90% of Yud's view on the matter, yeah, I really don't see anything wrong with "Fanfiction as argument with the creator."

I think it's somewhat childish to take someone's work and basically misinterpret it to argue your own points. You can get away with it if you have a deep knowledge and appreciation of the source material, I think, but Yud clearly doesn't.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

I think it's somewhat childish to take someone's work and basically misinterpret it to argue your own points. You can get away with it if you have a deep knowledge and appreciation of the source material, I think, but Yud clearly doesn't.

Probably the best example of this is how he makes Dementors the embodiment of death.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moddington posted:

Probably the best example of this is how he makes Dementors the embodiment of death.

To be fair, death is, like depression (the originally intended metaphor), an unpleasant thing you don't want to experience. However, he could have just as easily made dementors the embodiment of falling down the stairs, or meeting Eliezer Yudkowsky.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Dying is actually cool and good. Enjoy your life and be the best person you can, don't actively seek death, and just gracefully bow out when the time comes. Don't be a pussy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Colin Mockery posted:

We'll get into this more in-depth shortly, but I'm fairly sure this is not specifically the issue Yud was trying to address there - he's not subtle about that particular horse.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

21 Muns posted:

To be fair, death is, like depression (the originally intended metaphor), an unpleasant thing you don't want to experience. However, he could have just as easily made dementors the embodiment of falling down the stairs, or meeting Eliezer Yudkowsky.

quote:

The Dementor's face drew closer and closer to Harry's, and even in the dim light he could faintly see, beneath the hood, the horrible empty hole that they had in place of a mouth. Closer and closer it came, until it stopped, mere inches from Harry. Then, with a gust of fetid air, it uttered a dread rattle:
"OK so at some point in the future there's going to be an omnipotent AI"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:golfclap:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Harry's magical grandparents were reasonably old when they had his father, and were probably killed by the same dragon pox outbreak that killed Malfoy's grandfather as well.

Lily's parents being dead really is pure narrative convenience, though.

Are they dead, though? They're never mentioned at all in the series really, beyond that they were Muggles, and I always figured they just were too old to take Harry on when Petunia could instead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Liquid Communism posted:

Are they dead, though? They're never mentioned at all in the series really, beyond that they were Muggles, and I always figured they just were too old to take Harry on when Petunia could instead.

Rowling confirmed that they're dead in webchats around the time Half-Blood Prince came out.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Chapter 37: Interlude: Crossing the Boundary

quote:

It was almost midnight.

Staying up late was simple enough for Harry. He just hadn't used the Time-Turner. Harry followed a tradition of timing his sleep cycle to make sure he was awake for when Christmas Eve turned into Christmas Day; because while he'd never been young enough to believe in Santa Claus, he'd once been young enough to doubt.

It would have been nice if there had been a mysterious figure who entered your house in the night and brought you presents...

A chill went down Harry's spine then.

An intimation of something dreadful approaching.

A creeping terror.

A sense of doom.

Harry sat bolt upright in bed.

He looked at the window.

"Professor Quirrell? " Harry shrieked very quietly.
S-senpai?

Not the least bit creepy.

quote:

"No one's supposed to know where I am!" said Harry, still keeping the shriek quiet. "Even owls are supposed to deliver my mail to Hogwarts, not here!" Harry had agreed to that willingly; it would be silly if a Death Eater could win the whole war at any time just by owling him a magically triggered hand grenade.

Professor Quirrell was grinning, from where he stood in the backyard beyond the window. "Oh, I shouldn't worry, Mr. Potter. You are well protected against locating Charms, and no blood purist is likely to think of consulting a phone book."
Um.

quote:

"Put on your winter coat," said Professor Quirrell, "or take a warming potion if you have one; and meet me outside, under the stars. I shall see if I can maintain it a little longer this time."

It took Harry a moment to process the words, and then he was dashing for the coat closet.

Professor Quirrell kept the spell of starlight going for more than an hour, though the Defense Professor's face grew strained, and he had to sit down after a while. Harry protested only once, and was shushed.

They crossed the boundary from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day within that timeless void where Earthly rotations meant nothing, the one true everlasting Silent Night.

And just as promised, Harry's parents slept soundly all through it, until Harry was safely back in his room, and the Defense Professor had gone.
And that's that for the chapter. Pretend I've done that joke where I misrepresent Quirrell and Harry spending time together after Quirrell roofied Harry's parents as even creepier than it already is.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 19, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Parents, talk to your kids about astronomy before someone else does.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

NihilCredo posted:

Parents, talk to your kids about astronomy before someone else does.

Someone has to have the Tim and Eric bit on hand, the one where they shine lights through a kid's window late at night against the wishes of his parents so they can teach him about the stars.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wow. That's not creepy at all. :gonk:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Liquid Communism posted:

It is important to note that this bit is really obviously wish fulfillment, where the author wishes he was both of his avatars in this scene.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Presumably, you're supposed to mentally replace Quirrell with Carl Sagan.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 38: The Cardinal Sin

quote:

Harry took out his wizards' robes and wizard hat, shrugged them on.

And finally, Harry drew his wand; and he couldn't help thinking of the parents he'd only just kissed goodbye, of the world whose problems he was leaving behind...

With a strange feeling of guilt for the unavoidable, Harry said, "Thermos."

The warmth flowed through him.

And the Boy-Who-Lived was back.

quote:

what he needed was something completely frivolous to occupy his attention...

Well, that wouldn't be hard to come by, if he was willing to part with four Knuts.

Besides, if the Daily Prophet was corrupt and the Quibbler was the only competing newspaper, there might be some suppressed real news in there.

And then Harry's voice stopped in his throat, as he caught sight of the top fold of the Quibbler.

SLOSHED SEER SPILLS SECRETS:
DARK LORD TO RETURN,

Four Knuts hit the counter. "One copy of the Quibbler, please."

"Oh, no worries, Mr. Potter!" said the vendor hastily, waving his hands. "It's - never mind, just -"

A newspaper flew through the air and hit Harry's fingers, and he unfolded it.

SLOSHED SEER SPILLS SECRETS:
DARK LORD TO RETURN,
WED DRACO MALFOY

"It's free," said the vendor, "for you, I mean -"

"No," Harry said, "I was going to buy one anyway."

The vendor took the coins, and Harry read on.

"Gosh," Harry said half a minute later, "you get a seer smashed on six slugs of Scotch and she spills all sorts of secret stuff. I mean, who'd have thought that Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew were secretly the same person?"

"Not me," said the vendor.

"They've even got a picture of the two of them together, so we know who it is that's secretly the same person."

"Yup," said the vendor. "Pretty clever disguise, innit?"

"And I'm secretly sixty-five years old."

"You don't look half that," the vendor said amiably.

"And I'm betrothed to Hermione Granger, and Bellatrix Black, and Luna Lovegood, and oh yes, Draco Malfoy too..."

"Goin' ter be one interesting wedding," said the vendor.

"Something's got to go really wrong with the inside of your head before this is what comes out when you start making stuff up!"

The vendor stared at Harry.

"Seriously," said Harry. "Who reads this stuff?"

"You," said the vendor.
Randoms dunking on Harriezer never gets old. Particularly when he goes into a passionate rant that impresses no one. Shame that brief spark of self-awareness is not often repeated.

quote:

Harry was just reading about the Ministry's proposed marriage law, to ban all marriages, when -

"Harry Potter," said a silken voice that sent a shock of adrenaline jolting through Harry's blood.

Harry looked up.

"Lucius Malfoy," Harry said, his voice weary. Next time he was going to do the smart thing, and wait outside in the Muggle part of King's Cross until 10:55am.

"I apologize for disturbing you, Mr. Potter," said the smooth, silken voice. "But you have answered none of my owls; and this, I thought, might be my only opportunity to meet you."

"I have received none of your owls," Harry said calmly. "Dumbledore intercepted them, I presume. But I would not have answered them if I had, except through Draco. For me to deal with you directly, without Draco's knowledge, would trespass on our friendship."

Please go away, please go away...

The grey eyes glittered at him. "Is that your pose, then..." said the senior Malfoy. "Well. I shall play along a little. What was your purpose in maneuvering your good friend, my son, into a public alliance with that girl?"

"Oh," Harry said lightly, "that's obvious, right? Draco's working with Granger will make him realize that Muggleborns are human after all. Bwa. Ha. Ha."

A thin trace of a smile moved over Lucius's lips. "Yes, that does sound like one of Dumbledore's plans. Which it is not."

"Indeed," said Harry. "It is part of my game with Draco, and no work of Dumbledore's, and that is all I will say."

"Let us dispense with games," said the senior Malfoy, the grey eyes suddenly hardening. "If my suspicions are true, you would hardly do Dumbledore's bidding in any case, Mr. Potter."

There was a slight pause.

"So you know," Harry said, his voice cold. "Tell me. At which point, exactly, did you realize?"

"When I read your response to Professor Quirrell's little speech," said the white-haired man, and chuckled grimly. "I was puzzled, at first, for it seemed not in your own interest; it took me days to understand whose interest was being served, and then it all finally became clear. And it is also obvious that you are weak, in some ways if not others."

"Very clever of you," said Harry, still cold. "But perhaps you mistake my interests."
It took me a while to figure out what's going on here. It's basically an autistic shut-in attempting to emulate Roger Zealazny banter between two characters who are unsure as to what the other knows about their machinations, and unwilling to reveal the extent of their own knowledge.

Except written by Yudkowsky.

Neville's grandma comes along to defend Harry:

quote:

"I doubt it is the world that is mad," said Madam Longbottom. Her voice took on a gloating tone. "You seem in a poor mood, Mr. Malfoy. Did the speech of our dear Professor Quirrell cost you a few allies?"

"It was a clever enough slander of my abilities," Lucius said coldly, "though only effective upon the fools who believe that I was truly a Death Eater."

"What? " blurted Neville.

"I was under the Imperius, young man," said Lucius, now sounding tired. "The Dark Lord could hardly have begun recruiting among pureblood families without the support of House Malfoy. I demurred, and he simply made sure of me. His own Death Eaters did not know it until afterward, hence the false Mark I bear; though since I did not truly consent, it does not bind me. Some of the Death Eaters still believe I was foremost among their number, and for the peace of this nation I let them believe it, to keep them controlled. But I was not such a fool as to support that ill-fated adventurer of my own choice -"

"Ignore him," Madam Longbottom said, the instruction addressed to Harry as well as Neville. "He must spend the rest of his life pretending, for fear of your testimony under Veritaserum." Said with malicious satisfaction.

Long story short:

quote:

"My son is my heart," said the senior Malfoy, "the last worthwhile thing I have left in this world, and this I say to you in a spirit of friendship: if he were to come to harm, I would give my life over to vengeance. But so long as my son does not come to harm, I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. And as you have asked nothing more of me, I will ask nothing more of you."

Then the pale haze vanished, showing an outraged Madam Longbottom being blocked from moving forward by the senior Crabbe; her wand was in her hand, now.

"How dare you!" she hissed.

Lucius's dark robes swirled around him, and his white hair, as he turned to the senior Goyle. "We return to Malfoy Manor."

There were three pops of Apparition, and they were gone.

quote:

"You have wrought many changes in my grandson," said Madam Longbottom. "I approve of some, but not others."

"Send me the list of which is which," said Harry. "I'll see what I can do."

Neville groaned, but said nothing.

Madam Longbottom gave a chuckle. "I shall, young man, thank you." Her voice lowered. "Mr. Potter... the speech given by Professor Quirrell is something our nation has long needed to hear. I cannot say as much of your comment on it."

"I will take your opinion under advisement," Harry said mildly.

Neville spoke first, his voice weary. "You're going to try to fix all the changes she approves of, right?"

"Not all of them," Harry said innocently. "I just want to make sure I'm not corrupting you."
Hah, old people / parent figures.

quote:

"What did you say to Father?" blurted Draco, the moment the Quieting Charm went up and the sounds of Platform 9 3/4 vanished.

Harry leaned back wearily in the small folding chair that sat at the bottom of his trunk's cavern. "You know, Draco, just as the fundamental question of rationality is 'What do I think I know and how do I think I know it?', there's also a cardinal sin, a way of thinking that's the opposite of that. Like the ancient Greek philosophers. They had no clue what was going on, so they'd go around saying things like 'All is water' or 'All is fire', and they never asked themselves, 'Wait a minute, even if everything is water, how could I possibly know that?' They didn't ask themselves if they had evidence which discriminated that possibility from all the other possibilities you could imagine, evidence they'd be very unlikely to encounter if the theory wasn't true -"

"Harry," Draco said, his voice strained, "What did you talk about with Father? "

"I don't know, actually," said Harry, "so it's very important that I not just make stuff up -"

Harry had never heard Draco shriek in horror in quite that high a pitch before.
Again, I'm quite convinced that a fair bit of the insinuations are involved were written without the author having any concrete idea as to what they meant.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

If I learned anything from the Men in Black movie and tabletop RPG, it's that the hot sheets (tabloids) are the thing to watch for real news. The nonsense poo poo is a smokescreen and pays the bills. Isn't it the National Enquirer known for a pretty flawless record of breaking huge affair scandals before anyone else even got a whiff of it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pvt.Scott posted:

If I learned anything from the Men in Black movie and tabletop RPG, it's that the hot sheets (tabloids) are the thing to watch for real news. The nonsense poo poo is a smokescreen and pays the bills. Isn't it the National Enquirer known for a pretty flawless record of breaking huge affair scandals before anyone else even got a whiff of it?

It did this exactly once but it likes to say it has that thing, yes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Ah

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Eh, its been more than once. It's just that their overall success rate is abysmal.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
There's also the bit where Harriezer tries to sum up pre-socratic philosophy in "oh they believed "all is fire" or "all is water" without asking themselves the question how they could possibly know that" etc. which is a gross misconception of both Heraclitus and Thales, of course.

The reasonable point to be made around ancient Greek philosophers is that those are very early attempts at explaining things without reference to gods - and of course, the arche, or the nature/principle of the world (which was what they referred to as water or fire) is not the same as the hyle, the matter. Everything isn't physically made out of fire or out of water, that would be something else. It's more a matter of, well, principles. Everything is ever-changing, like fire.

Like previously, the explanation for, say, earthquakes, would have been "Probably Hephaestus smithing again". Thales had his own explanation (the earth is a disc encased in water, and waves in that water sometimes rocks the earth). While it's absurdly wrong by our standards, what's notable is that it's an explanation that CAN be wrong, because it's naturalistic.

Like he's literally considering the first weak steps out of a worldview where Goddidit was everything to be a cardinal sin, because they didn't have the underpinnings of modern day scientific theory. Well no poo poo. Similarly you could tell Galileo, Newton, and Darwin to go gently caress themselves, because they also fail at modern-day science for one reason or another. (Galileo stuck to his wrong heliocentric model even though the data predicted by the model wasn't there, Newton believed in alchemy, but you can't change elements to other elements like that, and Darwin had no model of genes, so his system of inheritance was inherently unworkable.)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Exercu posted:

There's also the bit where Harriezer tries to sum up pre-socratic philosophy in "oh they believed "all is fire" or "all is water" without asking themselves the question how they could possibly know that" etc. which is a gross misconception of both Heraclitus and Thales, of course.
Sure. My education on Greek philosophers started with Socrates, so I couldn't be sure which parts of the whole thing were wrong. Well spotted.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Exercu posted:

Like previously, the explanation for, say, earthquakes, would have been "Probably Hephaestus smithing again". Thales had his own explanation (the earth is a disc encased in water, and waves in that water sometimes rocks the earth). While it's absurdly wrong by our standards, what's notable is that it's an explanation that CAN be wrong, because it's naturalistic.

The thing is, Yud basically believes a sufficiently intelligent person will arrive at brilliant ideas instantly and a-priori. He talks a big game about the scientific method, but at heart he believes ~rationalism~ with a sufficiently intelligent character or person will just get things right immediately most of the time. So to him what would matter is that this was wrong, not that it could be wrong and that that represented a big step forward in the explanation of natural phenomena.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The thing is, Yud basically believes a sufficiently intelligent person will arrive at brilliant ideas instantly and a-priori. He talks a big game about the scientific method, but at heart he believes ~rationalism~ with a sufficiently intelligent character or person will just get things right immediately most of the time. So to him what would matter is that this was wrong, not that it could be wrong and that that represented a big step forward in the explanation of natural phenomena.

Which, ironically, is a very Aristotelian way of thinking.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Night10194 posted:

The cult of Bayes - Bayesfu? something like that - short story he wrote is the ultimate condensed version of this. His characters talk about how much Einstein sucked to not just come up with the correct formulation for Quantum Relativity - he should have just assumed it was possible and then done it.

God he's annoying.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Which, ironically, is a very Aristotelian way of thinking.

Nah, Aristotle maintains that all knowledge at some point comes through perception. Yud is more of a modern rationalist, really. We're talking budget rate Descartes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cavelcade posted:

The cult of Bayes - Bayesfu? something like that - short story he wrote is the ultimate condensed version of this. His characters talk about how much Einstein sucked to not just come up with the correct formulation for Quantum Relativity - he should have just assumed it was possible and then done it.

God he's annoying.

It has a really obvious source, of course.

That's how bad sci-fi and fantasy authors write Smart Characters; they have the next 15 pages of the script, are conversant and masterful in every academic discipline, and are never, ever wrong. So that's what Yud thinks smart looks like.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Xander77 posted:

It took me a while to figure out what's going on here.

I haven't been able to follow much of anything for a while now. Does it make any more sense if I read the whole thing rather than your snippets? I'm thinking not

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cyrai posted:

I haven't been able to follow much of anything for a while now.
If the initial reference doesn't make sense to you, try the "I know you know I know" battle of wits from the Princess Bride, except the author never bothered to establish what each character actually knows.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Xander77 posted:

If the initial reference doesn't make sense to you, try the "I know you know I know" battle of wits from the Princess Bride, except the author never bothered to establish what each character actually knows.

Because the answer is always "You know nothing, Jon Snow Harry Potter."

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's worth mentioning that in the actual books, the Quibbler is (a) often closer to right than the official line or at least working for a disbelieved truth and (b) is literally the organ of truth once Luna gets in with Harry's crew. It's also worth pointing out that the first two items in the Quibbler, here, are closer to right than not -- the Dark Lord is planning to return, and a handfasting with Draco is an early order of business, and in a certain sense Sirius and Pettigrew are the same person.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sorry about the delay - I have no plans to abandon this, but I have this, like, job thing now, maaaaaaaaaan...

Chapter 39: Pretending to be Wise, Pt 1 (1)

quote:

Professor Flitwick had silently passed Harry a folded parchment during Charms class that Monday, and the note had said that Harry was to visit the Headmaster at his convenience and in such fashion that no one else would notice, especially not Draco Malfoy or Professor Quirrell. His one-time password for the gargoyle would be "squeamish ossifrage". This had been accompanied by a remarkably artistic ink drawing of Professor Flitwick staring at him sternly, the eyes of which occasionally blinked; and at the bottom of the note, underlined three times, was the phrase DON'T GET INTO TROUBLE.

"Thank you for coming, Harry," said the Headmaster. The old wizard rose from his throne, began to slowly pace through the room and the strange devices. "First, do you have with you the notes of yesterday's encounter with Lucius Malfoy?"

"Notes?" blurted Harry.

"Surely you wrote it down..." said the old wizard, and his voice trailed off.

Harry felt rather embarrassed. Yes, if you'd just fumbled through a mysterious conversation full of significant hints you didn't understand, the bloody obvious thing to do would be to write it all down immediately afterward, before the memory faded, so you could try to figure it out later.

"All right," said the Headmaster, "from memory then."

Harry sheepishly recited as best he could, and got almost halfway through before he realized that it wasn't smart to just go around telling the possibly-crazy Headmaster everything, at least not without thinking about it first, but then Lucius was definitely a bad guy and Dumbledore's opponent so it probably was a good idea to tell him, and Harry had already started talking and it was too late to try and calculate things out now...
First part is reasonably funny, second part doesn't actually matter. Lucius is pointless, there to act as a distraction from Quirrell, I guess? I suppose a lot of people wanted to believe Quirrellmort is something more, and the actual villain would be someone else?

quote:

Even Harry could understand why Dumbledore wouldn't want him to interact with Lucius Malfoy; it didn't seem like an evil deed.

Not like the Headmaster blackmailing Zabini... for which they had only Zabini's word, and Zabini was wildly untrustworthy, in fact it was hard to see why Zabini wouldn't just tell the story that got him the most sympathy from Professor Quirrell...

"How about if, instead of protesting, I say that I understand your point of view," said Harry, "and you go on intercepting my owls, but you tell me who from?"

"I have intercepted a great many owls to you, I am afraid," Dumbledore said soberly. "You are a celebrity, Harry, and you would receive dozens of letters a day, some from far outside this country, did I not turn them back."

"That," Harry said, now starting to feel a bit of indignation, "seems like going a little too far -"

"Many of those letters," the old wizard said quietly, "will be asking you for things you cannot give. I have not read them, of course, only turned them back to their senders undelivered. But I know, for I receive them too. And you are too young, Harry, to have your heart broken six times before breakfast each morning."

Harry looked down at his shoes. He should insist on reading the letters and judging for himself, but... there was a small voice of common sense inside him, and it was screaming very loudly right now.

"Thank you," Harry muttered.
Also not bad. What it would actually mean to be the messiah of the wizarding world is a different book from both HP and HPMOR, but interesting as far as lightly touched upon themes go.

quote:

"Tell me, Harry, what evil could you accomplish if a Dementor were allowed onto the grounds of Hogwarts?"

It developed that Professor Quirrell had asked, or rather demanded, that his students test their skills against an actual Dementor after they learned the words and gestures to the Patronus Charm.

"Professor Quirrell is unable to cast the Patronus Charm himself," said Dumbledore, as he paced slowly through the devices. "Which is never a good sign. But then, he volunteered that fact to me in the course of demanding that outside instructors be brought in to teach the Patronus Charm to every student who wished to learn; he offered to pay the expense himself, if I would not. This impressed me greatly.

The Headmaster spread his hands as though in helplessness. "Harry, the Defense Professor has asked me to pass the darkest of all creatures through the gates of Hogwarts. I must be suspicious." The Headmaster sighed. "And yet the Dementor will be guarded, warded, in a mighty cage, I will be there myself to watch it at all times - I cannot think of what ill could be done. But perhaps I am merely unable to see it. And so I am asking you."

"Headmaster," Harry said, "if Professor Quirrell is up to something, I'm not sure I can outwit him. He's got a lot more experience than I do."

The old wizard shook his head, somehow managing to appear very solemn despite his smile. "You underestimate yourself."

That was the first time anyone had ever said that to Harry.

"I remember," the old wizard continued, "a young man in this very office, cold and controlled as he faced down the Head of House Slytherin, blackmailing his own Headmaster to protect his classmates. And I believe that young man is more cunning than Professor Quirrell, more cunning than Lucius Malfoy, that he will grow to be the equal of Voldemort himself. It is he who I wish to consult."

And Dumbledore had concluded that his pet hero had cunning to match his destined foe, the Dark Lord.

Which wasn't asking for very much, considering that the Dark Lord had put a clearly visible Dark Mark on all of his servants' left arms, and that he'd slaughtered the entire monastery that taught the martial art he'd wanted to learn.

Enough cunning to match Professor Quirrell would be a whole different order of problem.

But it was also clear that the Headmaster wouldn't be satisfied until Harry went all cold and darkish, and came up with some sort of answer that sounded impressively cunning... which had better not actually get in the way of Professor Quirrell's teaching Defense...

The cold came more slowly now, more reluctantly, Harry hadn't been calling much on his dark side lately...

Harry had to run through that entire session in Potions in his mind, before his blood chilled into something approaching deadly crystalline clarity.

And then he thought of the Dementor.

And it was obvious.

"The Dementor is a distraction," Harry said. The coldness clear in his voice, since that was what Dumbledore wanted and expected. "A large, salient threat, but in the end straightforward, and easy to defend against. So while all your attention is focused on the Dementor, the real plot will be happening elsewhere."
Let's emphasize once again that Harriezer's temper tantrum was actually really brilliant and smart.

The Dementors are going to matter for what happens next though.

quote:

"I have another question for that young man," said the Headmaster. "It is something I have long wondered to myself, yet been unable to comprehend. Why? " There was a tinge of pain in his voice. "Why would anyone deliberately make himself a monster? Why do evil for the sake of evil? Why Voldemort?"

Whirr, bzzzt, tick; ding, puff, splat...

Harry stared at the Headmaster in surprise.

"How would I know?" said Harry. "Am I supposed to magically understand the Dark Lord because I'm the hero, or something?"

"Yes! " said Dumbledore. "My own great foe was Grindelwald, and him I understood very well indeed. Grindelwald was my dark mirror, the man I could so easily have been, had I given in to the temptation to believe that I was a good person, and therefore always in the right. For the greater good, that was his slogan; and he truly believed it himself, even as he tore at all Europe like a wounded animal. And him, I defeated in the end. But then after him came Voldemort, to destroy everything I had protected in Britain." The hurt was plain now in Dumbledore's voice, exposed upon his face. "He committed acts worse by far than Grindelwald's worst, horror for the sake of horror. I sacrificed everything only to hold him back, and I still don't understand why! Why, Harry? Why did he do it? He was never my destined foe, but yours, so if you have any guesses at all, Harry, please tell me! Why? "
"I'm sorry, Headmaster. The Dark Lord doesn't seem like much of a dark mirror to me, not at all. There isn't anything I find even the tiniest bit tempting about nailing the skins of Yermy Wibble's family to a newsroom wall."

"Have you no wisdom to share?" said Dumbledore. There was pleading in the old wizard's voice, almost begging.

Evil happens, thought Harry, it doesn't mean anything or teach us anything, except to not be evil?
So here we run into the old problem of "how would we know that Socrates disapproved of writing if no one bothered to write it down?" Or in other words, "things don't happen for a great narrative reason" is a fairly good lesson, but maybe a traditional narrative (even one as inept as HPMOR) is not the best way to impart it?

quote:

Well, sounding wise wasn't difficult. It was a lot easier than being intelligent, actually, since you didn't have to say anything surprising or come up with any new insights. You just let your brain's pattern-matching software complete the cliche, using whatever Deep Wisdom you'd stored previously.

"Headmaster," Harry said solemnly, "I would rather not define myself by my enemies."

Somehow, even in the midst of all the whirring and ticking, there was a kind of silence.

That had come out a bit more Deeply Wise than Harry had intended.

"You may be very wise, Harry..." the Headmaster said slowly. "I do wish... that I could have been defined by my friends." The pain in his voice had grown deeper.

"And you, Harry," said the Headmaster, "you name yourself a scientist? " His voice was laced with surprise and mild disapproval.

"You don't like science?" said Harry a little wearily. He'd hoped Dumbledore would be fonder of Muggle things.

"I suppose it is useful to those without wands," said Dumbledore, frowning. "But it seems a strange thing by which to define yourself. Is science as important as love? As kindness? As friendship? Is it science that makes you fond of Minerva McGonagall? Is it science that makes you care for Hermione Granger? Will it be science to which you turn, when you try to kindle warmth in Draco Malfoy's heart?"

You know, the sad thing is, you probably think you just uttered some kind of incredibly wise knockdown argument.

Now, how to phrase the rejoinder in such fashion that it also sounded incredibly wise...

"You are not Ravenclaw," Harry said with calm dignity, "and so it might not have occurred to you that to respect the truth, and seek it all the days of your life, could also be an act of grace."

The Headmaster's eyebrows rose up. And then he sighed. "How did you become so wise, so young...?" The old wizard sounded sad, as he said it. "Perhaps it will prove valuable to you."

Only for impressing ancient wizards who are overly impressed with themselves, thought Harry. He was actually a bit disappointed by Dumbledore's credulity; it wasn't that Harry had lied, but Dumbledore seemed far too impressed with Harry's ability to phrase things so that they sounded profound, instead of putting them into plain English like Richard Feynman had done with his wisdom...
Presumably this is riffing on one of Yud's favorite "you sheeple are just machines that respond to applause lights" rants.

(Remind me again - what concrete plans and concrete results did Yud's research ever produce?)

Dumbledore is going to become an amalgamation of all things Yud despises in experts and / or naysayers:

quote:

"Tell me, Harry," said the Headmaster (and now his voice sounded simply puzzled, though there was still a hint of pain in his eyes), "why do Dark Wizards fear death so greatly?"

"Er," said Harry, "sorry, I've got to back the Dark Wizards on that one."

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
There’s a novella by Michael Blackbourn called Roko’s Basilisk on Kindle. Its themes are what you’d expect from that title - strong AI, the end of civilisation as we know it. It’s up for free on Kindle (UK link, US link) today (Sunday 2 April 2017) only.

Just finished it (it’s very short and a quick and easy read). It’s a quick psychological horror short. Basically it takes the concepts behind roko’s basilisk and puts them into story form. The character “Roko” plays both Yudkowsky and real-life Roko and explains the killing meme to his not-as-brilliant friend. In this world “friendly AI” is a term used in real AI research (rather than something that gets real AI researchers punching walls harder than chemists do at “nanobots”). “Roko” has solved Coherent Extrapolated Volition or something close enough for a scifi handwave and worked out the basilisk, and frightened the poo poo out of himself.

I … literally can’t judge how effectively it does this, because having written and exhaustively footnoted most of the RationalWiki article on the subject it is impossible for me to judge how well it gets it all across to the previously-unaware reader.

It seems to end abruptly, but the next episode is available (though not for free). It’s not terrible even if the editing is sloppy and it’s well worth $0.00 for a quick read and might even be worth its usual 99p/$1.23. I would be interested to hear what others made of it.

But I was particularly amused that he also has AI Box Experiment the Short Story. Fiction that directly uses Yudkowskian philosophy! I'd love to see fans of rationalfic reacting to this stuff, and how quickly they try to lynch him.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Chapter 39: Pretending to be Wise, Pt 1 (pt 2)

In which Harriezer faces his greatest strawman yet.

quote:

"What? " said Dumbledore.

"Death is bad," said Harry, discarding wisdom for the sake of clear communication. "Very bad. Extremely bad. Being scared of death is like being scared of a great big monster with poisonous fangs. It actually makes a great deal of sense, and does not, in fact, indicate that you have a psychological problem."
Umm... "big monster with poisonous fangs" seems like an adequate analogy for fear of death to you? Really?

quote:

Okay," said Harry, "let me put it this way. Do you want to die? Because if so, there's this Muggle thing called a suicide prevention hotline -"

"When it is time," the old wizard said quietly. "Not before. I would never seek to hasten the day, nor seek to refuse it when it comes."

Harry was frowning sternly. "That doesn't sound like you have a very strong will to live, Headmaster!"

"Harry..." The old wizard's voice was starting to sound a little helpless; and he had paced to a spot where his silver beard, unnoticed, had drifted into a crystalline glass goldfish bowl, and was slowly taking on a greenish tinge that crept up the hairs. "I think I may have not made myself clear. Dark Wizards are not eager to live. They fear death.
It is not life they desire, but immortality; and they are so driven to grasp at it that they will sacrifice their very souls! Do you want to live forever, Harry?"

"Yes, and so do you," said Harry. "I want to live one more day. Tomorrow I will still want to live one more day. Therefore I want to live forever, proof by induction on the positive integers. If you don't want to die, it means you want to live forever. If you don't want to live forever, it means you want to die. You've got to do one or the other... I'm not getting through here, am I."
I'm not sure that works by formal or regular logic rules. Correction - pretty sure it doesn't.

quote:

What would you do with eternity, Harry?"

Harry took a deep breath. "Meet all the interesting people in the world, read all the good books and then write something even better, celebrate my first grandchild's tenth birthday party on the Moon, celebrate my first great-great-great grandchild's hundredth birthday party around the Rings of Saturn, learn the deepest and final rules of Nature, understand the nature of consciousness, find out why anything exists in the first place, visit other stars, discover aliens, create aliens, rendezvous with everyone for a party on the other side of the Milky Way once we've explored the whole thing, meet up with everyone else who was born on Old Earth to watch the Sun finally go out, and I used to worry about finding a way to escape this universe before it ran out of negentropy but I'm a lot more hopeful now that I've discovered the so-called laws of physics are just optional guidelines."

"I did not understand much of that," said Dumbledore. "But I must ask if these are things that you truly desire so desperately, or if you only imagine them so as to imagine not being tired, as you run and run from death."

"Life is not a finite list of things that you check off before you're allowed to die," Harry said firmly. "It's life, you just go on living it. If I'm not doing those things it'll be because I've found something better."
Most of this fits in comfortably within a thousand years. And by then, depending on whether the rest of humanity is also immortal, either humanity will leave you behind completely, or run out of things to do.

quote:

"Do not mourn me too greatly, Harry, when my time comes; I will be with those I have long missed, on our next great adventure."

"Oh!" Harry said in sudden realization. "You believe in an afterlife. I got the impression wizards didn't have religion?"

Toot. Beep. Thud.

"How can you not believe it? " said the Headmaster, looking completely flabbergasted. "Harry, you're a wizard! You've seen ghosts! "
I'm 100% with Strawbledore here. If you want to argue from for atheism, maybe don't do that from within the narrative confines of the Harry Potter universe?

Harriezer seizes on a few facts, creatively reinterprets others, and completely ignores the rest. Ghosts, portraits, manifestations - all just imprints, remaining bits of personality lingering behind. No evidence of an actual afterlife, no sir.

Thing is - even if you accept every thing Harriezer claims here (and it's mostly bullshit) - you're still left with traces of personality lingering behind when the body is gone. At the very very least, that's enough to confirm a Cartesian dualism, a mind that is separate from the body. Which is basically a soul in any meaningful sense, and is certainly closer to a theistic perspective than anything Yud believes in.

quote:

Because if people had souls there wouldn't be any such thing as brain damage, if your soul could go on speaking after your whole brain was gone, how could damage to the left cerebral hemisphere take away your ability to talk? And Professor McGonagall, when she told me about how my parents had died, she didn't act like they'd just gone away on a long trip to another country, like they'd emigrated to Australia back in the days of sailing ships, which is the way people would act if they actually knew that death was just going somewhere else, if they had hard evidence for an afterlife, instead of making stuff up to console themselves, it would change everything, it wouldn't matter that everyone had lost someone in the war, it would be a little sad but not horrible! And I'd already seen that people in the wizarding world didn't act like that! So I should have known better! And that was when I knew that my parents were really dead and gone forever and ever, that there wasn't anything left of them, that I'd never get a chance to meet them and, and, and the other children thought I was crying because I was scared of ghosts -"
It's almost as it these are all things that have real life answers Yud never bothered to investigate. Odd, that.

quote:

Dumbledore appeared to be fighting a struggle within himself. "Harry," the old wizard said, his voice rising, "this is a dangerous road you are walking, I am not sure I do the right thing by saying this, but I must wrench you from this way! Harry, how could Voldemort have survived the death of his body if he did not have a soul? "
"An imprint of his mind, obviously". I mean, we just argued that if minds were separate from bodies, brain damage wouldn't do anything, but why try for any sort of consistency?

quote:

"You are not fooling me, Harry," said the old wizard; his face looked ancient now, and lined by more than years. "I know why you are truly asking that question. No, I do not read your mind, I do not have to, your hesitation gives you away! You seek the secret of the Dark Lord's immortality in order to use it for yourself!"

"Wrong! I want the secret of the Dark Lord's immortality in order to use it for everyone! "

Tick, crackle, fzzzt...

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore just stood there and stared at Harry with his mouth gaping open dumbly.

(Harry awarded himself a tally mark for Monday, since he'd managed to blow someone's mind completely before the day was over.)

"And in case it wasn't clear," said Harry, "by everyone I mean all Muggles too, not just all wizards."

"No," said the old wizard, shaking his head. His voice rose. "No, no, no! This is insanity! "

"Bwa ha ha!" said Harry.

"Well obviously I'm not going to popularize a method of immortality that requires killing people! That would defeat the entire point! "
Now... this is a bit more interesting. We are approaching not an atheistic argument set within a theistic universe, but an actual dilemma mankind may have to face within the next few centuries (at least within the form of life-extending treatments, if not outright immortality).

quote:

"I know not what to say." He picked up a crystal ball that seemed to hold a hand in flames, looked into it with a sad expression. "Only that I am greatly misunderstood by you... I don't want everyone to die, Harry!"

"You just don't want anyone to be immortal," Harry said with considerable irony. It seemed that elementary logical tautologies like All x: Die(x) = Not Exist x: Not Die(x) were beyond the reasoning abilities of the world's most powerful wizard.
The old wizard's face was peaceful. "I am not perfect, Harry, but I think I have accepted my death as part of myself."

"Uh huh," Harry said. "See, there's this little thing called cognitive dissonance, or in plainer English, sour grapes. If people were hit on the heads with truncheons once a month, and no one could do anything about it, pretty soon there'd be all sorts of philosophers, pretending to be wise as you put it, who found all sorts of amazing benefits to being hit on the head with a truncheon once a month. Like, it makes you tougher, or it makes you happier on the days when you're not getting hit with a truncheon. But if you went up to someone who wasn't getting hit, and you asked them if they wanted to start, in exchange for those amazing benefits, they'd say no. And if you didn't have to die, if you came from somewhere that no one had ever even heard of death, and I suggested to you that it would be an amazing wonderful great idea for people to get wrinkled and old and eventually cease to exist, why, you'd have me hauled right off to a lunatic asylum! So why would anyone possibly think any thought so silly as that death is a good thing? Because you're afraid of it, because you don't really want to die, and that thought hurts so much inside you that you have to rationalize it away, do something to numb the pain, so you won't have to think about it -"

"No, Harry," the old wizard said. His face was gentle, his hand trailed through a lighted pool of water that made small musical chimes as his fingers stirred it. "Though I can understand how you must think so."

"Do you want to understand the Dark Wizard?" Harry said, his voice now hard and grim. "Then look within the part of yourself that flees not from death but from the fear of death, that finds that fear so unbearable that it will embrace Death as a friend and cozen up to it, try to become one with the night so that it can think itself master of the abyss. You have taken the most terrible of all evils and called it good! With only a slight twist that same part of yourself would murder innocents, and call it friendship. If you can call death better than life then you can twist your moral compass to point anywhere -"
This is a relatively interesting point of view I have not encountered in the past. Class thread, do you have any thoughts to share?

quote:

Harry was trying not to go any colder than he already was; from somewhere there was pouring into his mind a blazing fury of resentment, at Dumbledore's condescension, and all the laughter that wise old fools had ever used in place of argument. "Funny thing, you know, I thought Draco Malfoy was going to be this impossible to talk to, and instead, in his childish innocence, he was a hundred times stronger than you."

A look of puzzlement crossed the old wizard's face. "What do you mean?"

"I mean," Harry said, his voice biting, "that Draco actually took his own beliefs seriously and processed my words instead of throwing them out the window by smiling with gentle superiority. You're so old and wise, you can't even notice anything I'm saying! Not understand, notice! "

"I have listened to you, Harry," said Dumbledore, looking more solemn now, "but to listen is not always to agree. Disagreements aside, what is it that you think I do not comprehend?"

That if you really believed in an afterlife, you'd go down to St. Mungo's and kill Neville's parents, Alice and Frank Longbottom, so they could go on to their next great adventure, instead of letting them linger here in their damaged state -

Harry barely, barely kept himself from saying it out loud.

"All right," Harry said coldly. "I'll answer your original question, then. You asked why Dark Wizards are afraid of death. Pretend, Headmaster, that you really believed in souls. Pretend that anyone could verify the existence of souls at any time, pretend that nobody cried at funerals because they knew their loved ones were still alive. Now can you imagine destroying a soul? Ripping it to shreds so that nothing remains to go on its next great adventure? Can you imagine what a terrible thing that would be, the worst crime that had ever been committed in the history of the universe, which you would do anything to prevent from happening even once? Because that's what Death really is - the annihilation of a soul!"

quote:

The young boy stood very straight, his chin raised high and proud, and said: "There is no justice in the laws of Nature, Headmaster, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky. But they don't have to! We care! There is light in the world, and it is us! "
Look at that loving inspiring quote. I'm an atheist and I concur with the sentiment expressed here. But it always pays to remember that not everyone chanting the same (valid, necessary) slogans and subscribing to the same (reasonable, useful) beliefs is actually a good person or doing good works.

What did the author of this quote ever do to make the world a better? He condescendingly mocks political struggle to improve lives here and now as arbitrary factional strife that is beneath him. He rages against scientific norms, as the deep state conspiracy empirical bias fails to give him recognition as a genius. He spent his life establishing a cult, scamming the gullible, and promising a state of rapture. He's a television evangelist for the rationalist nerd set.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
HPMOR: "Bwa ha ha!" said Harry.