Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

It's really easy to do this when you've got no idea who Less Wrong is, and then it's just "hey, it's to serve the purpose of poking a bit of fun at the bits of Harry Potter we usually just gloss over for the sake of the story, of course he needs to be a ridiculous smart-alec, I can roll with this".

Yes, I think part of the problem with HPMOR that is just completely inherent to the work and no changing of the details is going to fix it is that Harry is an intentionally obnoxious protagonist, written by Eliezer Yudkowsky, whose natural mode of writing is the definition of "intellectual pretension" anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Harry is a spoiled brat no matter what he uses to justify this purchase. Especially since McGonagall said he could get a first-aid kit at Hogwarts. This sob story and the preceding :spergin: isn't enough to justify his stubbornness.

He is rich as gently caress and using his own money, the strange aspect is that McGonagall is aggressively policing his spending on minor items.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Post owls in HP mostly feed themselves and are almost never caged, so the pet conversation is even more contrived than it seems at first.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i81icu812 posted:

This chest is more expensive than all of Harry's actual school supplies combined.
A wand is 7 Galleons, a textbook 9 Galleons. Harry buys a wand, 8 textbooks, and spends maybe another handful of Galleons for clothes and a cauldron. That just about covers his school stuff and is generously around 100 Galleons.

YudHarry instead decides to throw tantrums and spend an extra 45 Galleons on a bag of holding and a medical kit. Then he doesn't have quite have the 105 Galleons extra for a fancy magical chest, and can't settle for a cheaper chest.

This whole passage has been "Harry can't budget and is spoiled" rather than McGonagall doesn't understand human nature and estimation. Harry took out 150% more money than he needed for school supplies but spent it all on nonessential stuff! Additionally, those withdrawn 250 Galleons (plus the 30 he stole) weigh some 20 pounds. I'm surprised his pockets haven't given out.

I would like to reiterate that Harry is rich and this is his very first opportunity to buy anything magical at all, so why shouldn't he get non-school supplies if he wants to? McGonagall has no reason to limit his spending or, indeed, any legal right to do so. This whole conflict is just a contrived and nonsensical way to set Harry and McGonagall at odds so Harry can expound at length.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Could also be that when Quidditch is played on a professional level rather than by highschoolers 150 points mean nothing, like when during the championship Krum caught the snitch but his team still lost.

Can't be too hard on this guy dissing Ron though, he is kind of useless in the original too.

Professional Quidditch matches regularly last days, or so we're constantly reminded, so yeah I would imagine that the Snitch becomes much less important.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

divabot posted:

And remembering that it goes back a decade or so.

HPMOR is seriously the most popular HP fic ever. If it got an honestly-garnered 2016 Hugo "Best Fanwork" nomination (and not "Best Novel", I mean gently caress off), that wouldn't be a disgrace to the rocket. For the genre it's not bad. It's when you add the serious intent and the author's delusions that it becomes champagne comedy.

But how did it become by far the most popular? Note it wasn't LessWrongers spamming it, it was HP fans coming to LW. Was there pent-up demand for "approaching HP magic as science", even if it didn't deliver? What was going on here vis a vis the HP fandom itself?

There are two things going on here.

First, yes, you're correct; people like fanfics that treat magic as a comprehensible system. For example, one of the most popular recent fics, The Arithmancer, is about Hermione applying modern "Muggle" math to invent spells. It's kind of the antithesis to HPMOR in that it portrays the development of magic as an ongoing scientific endeavor that Hermione becomes a part of. You might have noticed HPMOR doesn't actually do this very well; it promises it and fails.

So, then, why do people keep reading? Well, Yud seems pretty reasonable and intelligent to a teenager. Less Wrong occupies a Ron Paul esque niche of intellectual "common sense" that makes perfect sense if you are young and inexperienced with living in society. Less Wrong stuff was popular among nerdy 15 year olds even ten years ago, so slapping HP on it just broadens the appeal.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Okay this Arithmancer story is pretty cool but it's literally half a million words long and that's the sort of thing you warn someone about before they start.

That is only very slightly longer than the actual Harry Potter books 1-4, which is the timeframe that it covers so far. It's certainly hefty but not inappropriately so like HPMOR.

By the way, while I didn't explicitly recommend The Arithmancer while using it as an example before, it is a genuinely good story.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

From what I can gather, Yud himself is not really scared of the basilisk anymore since even within his silly framework of ideas it is easily dismissed. It took him an embarrassingly long time to recognize that though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

(b) The goblins have ways of finding people who Transfigure things into other things that look like money, but does this extend to things like gemstones which have high trade /barter value but are not themselves typically considered to be “money”? [/b]

Logically, they probably don't. Since Transfiguration is not permanent, counterfeit coins are dangerous because if they were to change back into their original form in a vault no one would know which coins had been counterfeit. The same scenario is much less likely with high value goods.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tehan posted:

Eliezarry is complimenting them on recognizing their own mental inferiority and gravitating to their 'correct' position, the minion of an upper-class intellectual. They are awed by his perceptiveness and flattered by his compliment.

Yud thinks actual people would actually act this way.

Nah, let's give him credit where it's due. Crabbe and Goyle being polite when they aren't putting on a minion act is Yud's only funny joke so far.

JosephWongKS posted:

Separation of Gryffindors and Slytherins during classes isn’t a Hogwarts teaching convention in canon, though. In Book 1, Snape had both Gryffindor and Slytherin students in his Potion classes. Another sign that Eliezer didn’t read the books.

Eliezarry means Quirrell has put all of the houses together, which indeed never happened in canon.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mastajake posted:

I don't know what the deal is with fanfics (okay I've only read this one and The Arithmancer) having the "villain" characters (Slytherin) saying mudblood all the time. It was a big deal in the third book when Malfoy said it, both for Harry, who had never heard of it, Hermione, who had never been called it, and Ron, who was about as enraged as you'd be hearing one of your friends called a friend of the family to their face. It was possibly even a big deal for Draco to say it at that point. It's like they want to rush all the character development (good and bad) the original had going for it.

It's just the first book where nobody is saying mudblood, and it becomes pretty routine by the middle of the second book. A lot of fanfics import elements from the later books into their depiction of first year to make things less predictable, but I think it's probably an oversight born of reading the later books a lot more than the early ones.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Draco ignored the best target of all: Harry. It gets him respect from the Slytherins and Harry is arrogant enough to take it as a recognition of his unparalleled vague dangerousness.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Death Bot posted:

The delivery is bad, but with brooms being hard enough to ride that they teach you to do it in school there's definitely some space to wonder why no one's cruising through the skies on an enchanted la-z-boy

It is pretty much explicitly illegal to do so in Wizarding Britain. Other nations are implied to be looser about such things, though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

MoR is not good for fanfic unless your definition is percentage-based. Is it in the top 1%? Probably. Among fanfics that aren't word salad generated by teenagers, i.e. the ones that people actually read? It's bottom-tier poo poo.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

I'm genuinely curious as to what works of fanfiction you would consider not "bottom tier poo poo".

Well, I have already recommended The Arithmancer but it's worth doing again.

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is a lot of fun if you've played D&D.

Oh God, Not Again! is a comedy where Harry's sent back in time to the beginning of the series and decides to short-circuit the plot. This is a common premise for serious fics, most of which are dreck, but this pulls it off really well as a comedy. If you like this story, A Black Comedy might be a good followup. It's in the same vein if a bit more of a parody of fanfiction cliches rather than the books.

Opinions vary on The Merging but I like it and it's very well-written.

Dan Granger is a story I haven't read in a while but I remember being very good. Hermione's parents' dental practice is attacked by the Death Eaters, and this leads Hermione's father to take a much more active interest in the war against Voldemort.

Out of The Iron Rose's list, I would strongly recommend Applied Cultural Anthropology and Forging the Sword. There are a lot of stories better than MoR but these are some of the standouts.

Oh, and outside of HP, The Game of Champions is Pokemon narrated in Kingkiller Chronicle style, except Red is actually a cool main character instead of a useless jackass like Kvothe. The world-building and attention to detail here are superb. Traveler sticks more closely to the games and anime but is also really good. I'm pretty sure that literally every other Pokemon fic is way below MoR-tier bad but these two are excellent.

I thought Ned Stark Lives! had a better plot than GRRM's actual books if I remember correctly but I haven't read it in a long time.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 28, 2015

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Is this ongoing or complete? If ongoing, is it still being updated or does it look like it's been abandoned?

Most of the stories in that post are still being actively written, but both of the HP comedy fics have been complete for years.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eldataluta posted:

Okay, so there are a lot of things that should be said about Snape. For example, being one of the "good guys" in the end doesn't excuse everything he did to his students. Snape literally became the thing Neville was most afraid of. He tormented a child until he became more terrifying to that child than the whole host of magical things that could kill him such as dementors and werewolves and death eaters. Not exactly ground breaking, but it's an important thing to say given the Albus Severus nonsense in the epilogue.

I just don't think that this is the arena to say that in. Like, remember how the premise of this story was trying to apply science to magic? Potions would be a really great place to do that. But then I remembered that this is HPMOR, and Yud forgot his own premise long ago in favor of whatever the hell this is. I expect that whatever point he's trying to make will be handled with the usual grace that anything is handled in this story.

The premise hasn't been forgotten, it just was never to apply science to magic. It's to apply Yud's Bayesian cargo cult philosophy. "Rationalism" is supposed to suggest scientific validity, but (as we've repeatedly explored in this thread) it's science-flavored nonsense. Secondarily, it's rather obviously a fantasy of Yud's to be able to be this much of an insufferable jerk as a child and get away with it through the mystical power of ~rationality~ that those pesky adults must bow to.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

I somehow made it through that Rocket Alignment Problem. I'm not sure what the point of that was. Was it that fictional rocket engineers are bad at calculating curved trajectories and that MIRI are a bunch of obtuse unhelpful cunts?

It's that all of their philosophical musing is actually useful science, because only by understanding Dianetics the Sequences can we understand the true nature of AI and how to create it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

As in all anime, there will be characters whose only purpose is to sit on the sidelines and shout about the properties of the main character's techniques for the audience's benefit. However, unlike other anime, these characters will excitedly overdescribe mundane moments in the protagonist's life using copious amounts of terminology from the Sequences to convey to the audience how the protagonist is successfully implementing rationalist thought.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Can anyone explain to me why is it that I have two friends on facebook both recommending this dreck to me, but they both are STEM majors?

The thesis of the story is that STEM majors are the ubermensch, draw your conclusions from there

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Somehow, I can't imagine that "11 year old has tantrum after a teacher asks him some questions he can't answer" is going to be the explosive headline that takes down the establishment.

See, the worst thing about MoR (and I don't say this lightly) is that if you take it seriously it totally, albeit unintentionally, validates the actions of Vernon Dursley and Dumbledore in the books. Who's the better person? Harry or Eliezarry? The only difference is their upbringing. Eliezarry is the embodiment of everything Dumbledore was hoping to avoid in Harry's personality; eager to abuse his celebrity, convinced of his own superiority, willing to stride into wizarding politics without a loving clue what he is doing on a spiteful childish whim. He had essentially a normal, if slightly eccentric, Muggle childhood. The only difference is the abuse.

I realize Eliezarry is supposed to be better than regular-model Harry, but since he isn't, the conclusions MoR invites you to make about the whole situation are pretty much monstrous.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

Can someone explain to me where the enjoyment comes from in reading those things? Is it just "look at how close to not-gibberish my computer program can get"?

I would take a slightly more nuanced view and say that it is interesting how the bots retain the style of an author even when horribly jumbled. Rowlingbot is noticeably more sophisticated than Yudkowbot with a longer and less choppy sentence structure.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

If you meet a house elf on the road, kill him.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shockingly, Yud doesn't know enough biology to make accurate assertions of probability. If there are lots of magical genes, one of the mechanisms that might have produced them would be sequence duplications, which often produces a family of genes all in a row on one chromosome. This is actually extremely common.

Harriezer's conception of why Muggleborns wouldn't exist if magic was a complicated system is stupid and reminiscent of arguments for intelligent design. Often in biology, half a working system is still better than none at all and provides a fitness advantage, so it could easily be the case that only a few magic genes are actually all that rare in the Muggle population, but the whole biological magic mechanism is complicated.

This is stupid.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I think I read the first two books worth of Arithmancer and remember getting annoyed at how Hermione had to be centrally involved in absolutely everything. To me, it fell into the typical fanfic trap where one character overshadows all the other characters, steals their lines, triumphs, etc. Also that recurring joke about her hitting Voldemort in the face sure got old quick.

To me, part of the whole point of the Arithmancer is that Hermione probably could have overshadowed Harry a lot more than she ever actually did in the books. It's a retelling where Hermione is the brilliant protagonist, with Harry being her stalwart best friend who's good in a fight and has a prophecy hanging over his head, rather than the reverse.

There's a big difference between the 99.999% of fanfics and the tiny percentage that are of at least semi-literary quality in terms of what they're safely able to do to the source material IMO. If you're good enough you can do things like sideline the main character in favor of another and pull it off.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean don't get me wrong I still read every update of the Arithmancer and its sequel that I'm forgetting the name of, but it does feel like Hermione kinda overshadows everyone else?

Which is half the point, but it gets a little bit grating when she's tutoring Dumbledore and Professor Sinestra.

They aren't modern mathematicians :shrug:

She's learned a lot more from Dumbledore than she's given to him in return. It doesn't feel all that much different to me from the interaction between a prodigious graduate student and their mentor from a slightly different discipline that might happen in real life.

Anyway from my understanding timeless physics isn't total hokum. Time isn't really a fundamental property of the universe but an emergent property of object interaction under some fairly well-respected models of quantum physics.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

There is a really good fanfic that I can't find where Ron's ability to make foreshadow-y jokes turns out to actually be his power as a Seer manifesting. (There are also a million bad ones on this theme.) There are very, very few other fics with Ron as the protagonist that are any good as far as I can tell. Forging the Sword is probably the closest, since Harry, Ron, and Hermione are all viewpoint characters in that and it's fantastic.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

by fanfic standards i meant

though there is fanfiction that's good by normal standards too, that's much rarer though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Argue posted:

Is there a Mary Sue fanfic where Ron is the rational genius and is there a crossover fanfic where HPATMOR Harry, Arithmancy Hermione, and ??? Ron team up?

arithmancer hermione would throttle eliezarry within an hour

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Yeah. But that doesn't make it believable in-universe. Furthermore (I'd say I'm ashamed to know this, but I'd be lying) someone catching the snitch yet not winning the game is a freak occurrence by professional league standards as well.

The snitch makes a lot more sense in a professional league where three things are true:

1. There are a lot of games.
2. Most of those games are high-scoring compared to the ones Harry plays in at Hogwarts because the snitch is set to a higher difficulty or something.
3. Overall points across the league is what matters, not win-loss. (This is how the Hogwarts league works, too.)

Under those conditions, the snitch is more like a nice bonus or a way to deny your opponents further score-racking.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Quidditch: surprisingly, less stupid than it looks.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

That made me realize, canon Harry's not only a war orphan, he's also improbably unlucky in being the child of twenty-year-old parents yet still having no living grandparents - especially with two of those grandparents being magical.

Yes, I realize it's narrative convenience, and the fact that I never thought about it before shows it's an entirely forgivable one. Still, it would have been really easy to just make them into four more of Voldemort's victims.

Harry's magical grandparents were reasonably old when they had his father, and were probably killed by the same dragon pox outbreak that killed Malfoy's grandfather as well.

Lily's parents being dead really is pure narrative convenience, though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Wow. That's not creepy at all. :gonk:

Presumably, you're supposed to mentally replace Quirrell with Carl Sagan.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

I've always thought it pretty indicative of immortality-seeking when it is the domain of almost every villain in popular media. "I don't want to die" or "I want to stop someone I love from dying" or "No one should die" always leads to ruin.

It's one of those things that always seems to sound like a noble goal to people who are overly idealistic. Wouldn't it be good to stop people from dying?

But you know what happens to a world in which no one dies? The same thing that happens to your body. Cancer.

it's indicative that most writers are regurgitating the dominant outlook on immortality-seeking, mostly. villainous immortality seeking is bad because it always has an immoral cost. usually it leads to ruin because the plot demands that the villain lose, not because that's necessarily the logical outcome!

a cancerous cell's immunity to apoptosis is more akin to a criminal escaping execution at will than a person escaping aging, and also people aren't cells. maybe that seems like a clever metaphor on the surface but it's flawed in a lot of ways.

anyway we already have all the worst parts of immortal persons in the form of corporations, we could at least enjoy having immortals that actually grow more experienced as they age if they were real people

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

we're already heading toward robots to do most of the work, that's a societal transition that is very much in sight. we're going to have to grapple with changing the relationship between jobs, society, and individuals to accommodate workers as a much smaller proportion of the population regardless of life extension.

anyway yeah currently understood methods of potential life extension are not great because they often don't meaningfully extend the healthy lifespan of the individual, just the sick one. that is really not likely to be the case indefinitely though! even if significant extension of healthy lifespan turns out to be a really difficult problem, within a few hundred years at the most we will fully understand the human body and how to tweak any of its variables through genetic alteration. modern medical biology is truly only about 150 years old and the progression of our understanding in that time has been truly astounding; the rate of that progression is only accelerating, too.

we'll have to tackle all of those challenges eventually.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 9, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

You remind me of an old man I used to talk with. He was adamant that no matter how bad it got, no matter how much of the permafrost was melted away, no matter how many species went extinct, no matter how much of the oceans were acidified, that "someone, somewhere" was going to develop a golden bullet to fix and even reverse climate change because that's what science does. Like scientists are wizards who will pull humanity from the brink.

Same thing here. 'If we all become immortal, society will magically create a solution'. There's this idea that scientists can just magic up utopian strong immortality if enough people believe in it and you're an idiot to argue that it 1. might not be possible and 2. even if it was, there are huge other factors to think about. What, you're so worried about dying and being remembered only as SA Poster Tiggum that you need to get this vehement over it? It's weird!

Come up with a solution, then, if I'm being so obstinate and my objections are so obvious. What do you do when people don't die? Let's assume the world up is made up of people who hit their prime and stop aging (let's say 25) and our medical technology has advanced to such an extent that even grievous wounds can be healed immediately and all sickness is a thing of the past, which seems to be the world some posters in this thread will expect to magically happen because it is "progress".

As I said, accepting the possibility of death is the sign of a mature person. It's a sign of the immature person that equating someone accepting death as a part of life is arguing for death. It's a very surreal thing to see people insisting that immortality - something that'd utterly alter human nature to an extent that it'd dwarf any other discovery in human history - would just be something like the telephone. Oh, people will just adapt. We'll figure out a "solution" to this, because we believe in the deified Science. We will slay the dragon named death with the weapons granted to us by Science, and I hope no one wonders what it reveals about the author's insecurities that they wrote death up as a terrifying beast that eats people at random.

Let me know when they cure entropy, human nature, fix up things so our planet can support the people we have even now, implement progressive social welfare to account for the conditions we're facing with the labor market right now, find some new way of accounting for the generational culture shift that arises from old people at the top dying, and, while we're at it, create some kind of working FTL engine so we can spread our numerous trillions out across the stars and I'll start taking the claims of people who get so hysterical about dying somewhat more seriously.

As it is, it's watching like watching people seriously consider a magic bullet that'll end all of society's woes, because that's the root of all evil: people get old and die, people get sick and die, people die and no one's going to remember me.

you're the one being bizarrely vehement hth

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's the tone mostly, it makes it seem like you think you're arguing against a childish yud-like position that worships science without understanding it at all. also the personal insults are weird.

like obviously life extension presents tremendous societal challenges. we're definitely not guaranteed to navigate them in a way that isn't full of suffering. significant life extension is, however, inevitable. medical immortality in the sense of being effectively unable to die unless severely injured or cut off from civilization for a prolonged period is plausible. as a species these are things we've got to consider and try to plan for in some way.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

It's generally assumed that Occlumency provides resistance to Veritaserum because Snape managed to survive as a spy and Voldemort would have to be pretty dumb to not use it on him to verify his true allegiances, but I'm not sure it's ever stated.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Parseltongue is just a form of mind magic to allow you to program snake nervous systems and extract stored data using a verbal interface. Your will is ultimately what's guiding the snake, like the Imperius curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

reignonyourparade posted:

The very first bit of magic we get is a snake that knows it's supposed to be from Brazil despite being raised in captivity, and also apparently knows how to read.

Because Harry knows these things, and childishly expects the snake (which is partially real and partially constructed by Harry's magic) to know them, too.