Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Great work, but I'm missing from the Freo list, so I'm afraid you're gonna have to start again TG :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Doctor Cave posted:

:toxx: West Coast will finish higher than Fremantle. If they don't, I will get an appropriate Freo related avatar, any suggestions from the Freo supporter in the thread are welcome.

An early suggestion:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Doctor Cave posted:

*shudder*

My favourite Ballantyne moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkLpZbuEHaw

I thought it was going to be the Ballantyne getting hit in the dick video, funny no matter who you are (except for Ballantyne).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

From recent memory I can think of a few, Steven Milne, Tony Liberatore, Greg Williams

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think Ballantyne is funny.

To be honest I was always a bit surprised by the level of hate directed at Ballantyne, he plays hard but carries on like pork-chop sometimes, not exactly grounds for a witch hunt.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

See I never minded Jake King much either. At least he was kinda funny.

What was wrong with Chris Lewis? I vaguely recall him having a thing for hitting people was that it?

I think it's all to do with the biting incident that happened against Melbourne.

I do remember being on the sparsely populated wing of a WAFL game Lewis was playing in after AFL retirement, and one smart arse yelled out at him "Hey Lewie, send us a postcard" with reference to that terrible gap filler show he was on, on Channel 9, Lewis' response being "you're an imbecile mate!" while lining up for a boundary throw in, to watch the smart arse replied "spell it Lewie!", no response from Chris, and bunch of giggling from opposition players and the few in the crowd.

That's my Chris Lewis story.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question re broadcasting:

Is/would Brad McNamara, (the man largely resposnible for how awful Channel 9's cricket coverage is), be anywhere near their footy coverage?

Word is that channel 9 aren't in the hunt for the next AFL rights deal as they're looking to focus on NRL.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Question about streaming AFL legally, it seams to be cheaper through the AFL Live Pass (i.e. standard Aussie way) than compared to the WatchAFL route, is the quality better through WatchAFL?

Also I've got one of those Tronsmart tv boxes thats basically an Android tablet rejigged for plugging into a TV, so running the AFL Live Pass through the tv won't be a problem with the AFL app. I'm guessing you need to use the browser for WatchAFL?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'll try out the free trial period on the Telstra option and see how terrible it is on a TV, it might be handy for watching while not at home too, which is a non option with WatchAFL

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

Yeah that's a good point. Can't wait to see which demons emerge from thunderdome.

It's being played on Fremantle Oval, which is still Freo's training ground and a WAFL oval, so it should be in pretty good nick, fingers crossed. I really hope they don't risk the Dad's Army section of the Freo squad.

And Wednesday looks like a generic summers day in Perth, 31C with an afternoon sea breeze (I will cut you if you call it the "the freo doctor").

Spedman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 1, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Are there bench and sub limits during the pre season?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

We even play Freo in the last NAB cup match, which brings some ferocity regardless of what time of year it is. I'd rather that be the sole curtain raiser to be honest.

I'm never happy to see this on the cards, the Freo WC games always end up being far more intense than they need to be for a pre-season match (and post season too after the punch up in London a few years ago).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Press Green for Graham and The Colonel

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

pkid posted:

Correct.

Another kid who grew up on the Peninsula who became a big Sainters supporter.

No wonder he seems so bummed out all the time.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Sounds like the Eagles haven't been drinking their Malk.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I finally got around to doing some testing of the local AFL streaming on my little Tronsmart box:
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tron...SPD_Feed_324693

I've got it plugged into a 42" tv, and you use the AFL app on the Android box which weirdly runs like a phone on the screen, but when it playing a video it goes full screen. At its best resolution I have to say the image quality is very much watchable, its not amazing by any standards, but you're not missing any of the action. My only concern is about the being able to get the high resolution feed during a live game in the real season, i.e. if Telstra can't handle the load and give everyone the crappy low bandwidth version.

I think its a great alternative to Foxtel, at this point in time.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Last I heard of Cousins he was barely coherent giving talks at local club players nights, with his minders shuffling him around.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

He's not going to be given room to breathe come season proper.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Shmoses posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with Ryan Crowley? He's not been training with the club and is unavailable due to 'personal issues'. There are whispers he may never play again. Any Perth goons heard any rumours?

From what I hear it isn't drugs, and apparently he's just jogged laps for long periods of time in the pre-season the last few years too. In other words, who the hell knows.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

More non-information on Crowley:
http://m.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2015-03-13/lyon-supportive-of-absent-crowley

I'm guessing it's a family issue/death.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Spacman posted:

I think he might have had a bub in the off season, it might be a sick bub?

Could easily be, but there's all sorts of rumours floating about, Big Footy seemed to be hooked on the idea he's dealing with depression.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

:smith:

Also explains his drop off in form in the latter part of the year too. I clearly remember him being putrid in the St Kilda belting in rd 18, just running around the field like a headless chook, probably explains the disinterest the rest of the team had in that game too.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

That freo drug culture

It explains Pav's nose.

The CEO Steve Rosich said it was a painkiller not provided by the club doctor or staff member.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

If/when he is suspended its back dated to September when Freo were knocked out of the finals, as he took some early plea that doesn't admit guilt but gets the clock ticking immediately, hence he won't play until a decision is made.

If he gets more than a 6 month ban I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled the pin anyway.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Volkerball posted:

They may have a really racist history, and a lot of the fans may be racists, but those fans get kicked out of games when they act up, and Australia is pretty racist in general. I don't read bigfooty a whole lot, but whenever people are bitching about Goodesy or someone, the avatars are really diverse. Plus the Pies reputation really falls in line with my NFL team, the Raiders, who are stereotyped as knife wielding criminals, plus the color scheme is roughly the same, so I just naturally have a soft spot for them.

https://youtu.be/DHQRZXM-4xI?t=1m12s
(Possibly my favourite thing on youtube at the moment)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

It seems like the AFL is thinking "how can we get more people at the ground", rather than "how can we fleece people who turn up to the ground" to make money these days. What a novel concept.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Saw some junior footy training session out the train window on the way home. One kid had a Melbourne jumper on. What kind of terrible parent would do that to a child.

My younger brother chose to become a Tiger supporter with no parental influence (family of 7 with 6 different teams), and he started getting into footy in the mid 90's.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Honest Crowley's hearing with the afl doping tribunal has been held up the jerks at Essendon, as the tribunal can only handle one case at a time, have to wait til at least April. Only a 6 month wait.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't think he can get away with anything less than a 1 year ban, and because it was from a positive test there is no way he'll be able to argue his way out of it. The time he's been provisionally suspended for will be taken out of his sentence so it makes no difference in the end.

I tend to agree, I think it's wishful thinking he'll get 6 months as he unequivocally tested positive to a banned substance. I was more surprised the tribunal couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time.

Also, how good is that Mayne fella.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

And he was the step father of two more with his now ex-partner.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'll jump in on the ultimate footy league, I just can't do Sarurday night, will be out of iInternet range, any other night will be fine.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I might slap a draft selection thingy together tonight just in case the draft doesn't get shifted. I've only ever done dreamteam, this should be a bit more interesting.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Well I went through my pre-draft list and put all of Essendon at the bottom with the injured players, and pushed down a bunch of players I don't like for reasons (Gibbs being one).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'm pretty happy with my list after I slapping together a pre-draft list. Pav, Bannell and Gunston up forward. But not happy with peanut Robinson on the bench along with the suspect Carlisle.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Windmill Hut posted:

I won yearly pass to the AFL Live thingy. Anyone have any suggestions on how i could stream it onto my PC/a TV? I don't have a tablet and watching it on my phone is a waste. I've tried one of these android emulators (Bluestacks & Andy) but couldn't get either to work with the app.

I've got it working on an Android Tronsmart box pretty nicely, you can get them at geekbuying.com for about $100.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Here's a run down of the rolling circus tomorrow:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-supplements-saga-your-guide-to-tuesdays-afl-antidoping-verdict-20150330-1majjd.html

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Richard Ings was saying if the appeals are carried out this could go on until 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The fact remains that Essendon don't know what the gently caress their players were injected with, and that is utterly hosed.

You'd feel sick in the guts if you were an Essendon player from this era, not knowing what the hell was injected, all administered by some shonk who's banned in another major national sporting code.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

BUT WHAT ABOUT OUR CLUBS SUPER SPECIAL PREMIERSHIP WINNING TRADE SECRETS?

What, like having a heap of highly skilled players and talented coaches?

I really don't see how a few percent extra of raw physical ability (strength and endurance) are going to win you a premiership, and is worth risking so much to get that few percent. You have a look at the most recent successful teams, Hawks/Swans/Cats, and they're teams of exceptional footballers, not exceptional athletes. I've never really understood why you'd bother doping in AFL, so many players (and opportunities for the story to get out) and such a big reliance on skill and coaching.

Spedman fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

pkid posted:

Does anyone know an AFL :filez: website?

Instead of watching the Richmond demolition of Carlton tomorrow I will be watching New Japan Pro Wrestling instead but I want to avoid all results and watch the game on the plane home on Saturday.

aussierul dot es

Saved me big time while living in Scotland.

• Locked thread