Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Howdy folks!

I just wanted to spread the word about an upcoming marathon that is raising funds for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Guelph (ON, Canada). The organization doing the gaming is the Electronic Gaming Organization (EGO) at the University of Guelph, and the event is titled Video Game On! (yes, the exclamation point is part of the title).

We're streaming for 20 hours (it's our first one, so we just want to see what we can do) over Twitch and are encouraging donations through the Big Brothers website. It all goes down on March 8, from 6 AM to 2 AM EST. You can find more details at https://www.vgobyego.com and I will be posting updates to this topic as well (i.e. raffle prizes, schedule, etc.)

You can catch all the action on the above event page, or at EGO's Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/uogEGO

Hope to see you all there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
While I'm thinking about it, I'd like to hear your opinion.
We've got 20 hours of this Video Game On! marathon to fill on March 8, so what are your thoughts? What would you like to tune in and see us stream?

- Scary Games?
- Party Games?
- Speed Runs?
- Retro Games?
- Games that are Hard to Control? (Octodad, Surgeon Simulator)
- Anything else?

Let me know what you want to see done, and I will pass it on to the team!

Thanks!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey man, this looks like a good cause, but you still might want to get mod approval from Kewpuh

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
That would be wonderful, but I wasn't sure how to message the mods to check.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You might see if you can get some speed runs going, those usually raise a pretty penny. Witwix does a pretty good I Wanna Be the Boshy and Gamej06 does an awesome Lost Levels that will raise some money.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
i'm fine with it

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks, Kewpuh!

And yeah, coming on the heels of AGDQ, I can see why speedruns would be a big draw :)

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
While I'm asking, are there any challenges that you want to see our marathoners do? If there's something fun, weird, or gross that we can do for the people watching, we want to make sure that we have the necessary tools and materials handy!

As an example, one fellow has said that he will bring some random items from his fridge and a blender, and, by donating, viewers can suggest which items will get consumed in which combinations. :)

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Have you guys ever done a livestream before?

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
No, this will be our first one. But we are eager to make it a yearly thing, and I am anticipating that there will be quite a bit to fix before we try again. :)

That said, we are eager to run this event, and we've been asking advice from people who have done marathon stream fundraisers before.

And we are open to suggestions! Feel free to give advice!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I dunno what games you're planning on playing but if you could get a developer/designer/voice actor who worked on the game to join in that'd be pretty cool

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
I absolutely agree! We're pulling all the strings that we have, and contacting as many people as we know, in order to make this the best first marathon that we can!

We should have the schedule up for public viewing soon on the event page (https://www.vgobyego.com in case you forgot ;) )

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Hey everyone!

After some initial technical difficulties (of course), Video Game On! is LIVE!
Join us at https://www.vgobyego.com or on https://www.twitch.tv/uogego.

We're kicking things off with our Retro Games block, starting with Rogue Legacy!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cowboy Otis posted:

Hey everyone!

After some initial technical difficulties (of course), Video Game On! is LIVE!
Join us at https://www.vgobyego.com or on https://www.twitch.tv/uogego.

We're kicking things off with our Retro Games block, starting with Rogue Legacy!

Tuning in to give you the viewer, but you may want to consider tagging your games by name and not just under the generally umbrella of "Retro". I feel like that might help with viewers who don't just bumble in. How else are you advertising besides here on SA?

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for the view, Drone! I'll let the guys know about the names too!

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Cowboy Otis posted:

No, this will be our first one. But we are eager to make it a yearly thing, and I am anticipating that there will be quite a bit to fix before we try again. :)

That said, we are eager to run this event, and we've been asking advice from people who have done marathon stream fundraisers before.

And we are open to suggestions! Feel free to give advice!

Nice to see you're open to suggestions and know you'll screw up more than one thing first time through. Just take this first time as a learning experience and don't get too bummed if you don't hit a goal because there is a ton to learn from marketing to technical aspects. I haven't really streamed in ages so I can't help you on the technical side, but next time you do one of these, be shameless about your marketing to get the idea out.

Email every games site, pr group, youtube personality you can find and get anyone who even remotely likes you to tweet or post about it on social media. It takes an enormous amount of effort to get attention when you fight against the speed and attention span of the internet, so exploit everyone you love for the good cause, they'll forgive you eventually :kheldragar:

Good luck, I'll be sure to donate!

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for the advice, Blister! We want to make this as awesome as we can this year, and in upcoming years too!

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Howdy folks!

Just an update, we're 8.5 hours into the stream and have raised $300 so far!
Thank you so much for the support and I hope you will continue to join us, as we have 11.5 more hours of video games for your enjoyment!

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Quick update: make that $400! Thank you!

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Howdy folks!

12 hours into the stream, and you have raised almost $700! Thank you!

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Just wanted to post another quick update: we just hit $1000! Thank you all so much!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Charity is gay. That's my opinion you are free to agree or disagree. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy Otis
Feb 23, 2015
Final update guys: we ended the stream with $1080 in donations! Thanks so much for your support! We will very likely be doing this again next year!

• Locked thread