Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
People who call in, then spend 15 min complaining about waiting in the queue for 5 min and suggesting 10 things we should do to fix the issue, yes, I'm sure we should hire 200 more people for the occasional blitz of calls, and the phone system has too many options we should combine 7 departments into 1, and i have control over everything and will make these things happen :fuckoff:

Edit: spelling

Coolspaz has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Something that angers me beyond any reason are some twitch streamers. I understand the reason to make people who give them money feel special. But when you have huge loving 10 seconds animated videos that cover the entire screen and play annoying music, it is a bit much. Read: loving annoying.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who say/write "step foot" instead of "set foot". Especially when it happens in stuff that's actually been edited and published (like Cracked).

Homeless Bebe
Jul 15, 2012
Companies that don't even bother to send a e-mail telling you that you won't be called in for a interview for a position you've applied for. I know it's just a empty gesture, but when you've spent a lot of time writing an application an e-mail is the least they can do.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Homeless Bebe posted:

Companies that don't even bother to send a e-mail telling you that you won't be called in for a interview for a position you've applied for. I know it's just a empty gesture, but when you've spent a lot of time writing an application an e-mail is the least they can do.

I can't tell you how many times I've completely owned an interview and still had to pull teeth to get an update on a decision. I know hiring is a hard thing to do, you may not know until it's too late if you made the right decision, but at least give me a heads-up if it's been a couple of weeks since the interview.

I can even give a pass to companies who don't reach out to every applicant. But the minute you put on a suit and shake their hand, they owe you some closure. If you made me a job offer, wouldn't you ultimately expect a yes or no? It goes both ways.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

My mother's stubborn belief in these goddamn naturopath horseshit peddlers and the utter nonsense they talk. Talking about "alkalizing your body" with lemon juice or vinegar, or systemic Candida infection (I swear to god this poo poo is the new gluten-free).

Any time I try to tell her it's crap and explain why it's crap (e.g. vinegar and lemon juice are acidic, not alkaline, and different parts of the body have different pH ranges they can safely operate at; a fungal infection in the blood is not a chronic malaise but a life-threatening medical emergency and the so-called candida diet is just another stupid fad diet) she just says she's not going to argue the point because I put too much faith in "allopathic medicine".

Which, if you didn't know, is the nonsensical term homeopaths and their ilk made up to disparage evidence-based medicine. So just be slightly wary of people who use that term, because chances are they've got some overpriced supplements to sell.

I love my mother, but she's so goddamn stubborn sometimes.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My mother's stubborn belief in these goddamn naturopath horseshit peddlers and the utter nonsense they talk. Talking about "alkalizing your body" with lemon juice or vinegar, or systemic Candida infection (I swear to god this poo poo is the new gluten-free).

Any time I try to tell her it's crap and explain why it's crap (e.g. vinegar and lemon juice are acidic, not alkaline, and different parts of the body have different pH ranges they can safely operate at; a fungal infection in the blood is not a chronic malaise but a life-threatening medical emergency and the so-called candida diet is just another stupid fad diet) she just says she's not going to argue the point because I put too much faith in "allopathic medicine".

Which, if you didn't know, is the nonsensical term homeopaths and their ilk made up to disparage evidence-based medicine. So just be slightly wary of people who use that term, because chances are they've got some overpriced supplements to sell.

I love my mother, but she's so goddamn stubborn sometimes.

Oh my god. My boyfriend does this- I love him dearly, but he seems to think that honey is a miracle medicine. Got a serious cut? Honey. Depression? Honey. Flu? Honey. Eye ulcer? Honey.

He's very smart other wise but sometimes I just want to shake him and scream that modern medicine exists for a reason and does he think the pills I take every day are fake?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Sociopastry posted:

Oh my god. My boyfriend does this- I love him dearly, but he seems to think that honey is a miracle medicine. Got a serious cut? Honey. Depression? Honey. Flu? Honey. Eye ulcer? Honey.

He's very smart other wise but sometimes I just want to shake him and scream that modern medicine exists for a reason and does he think the pills I take every day are fake?

Enjoy your divorce!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lovely ringtones piss me right the hell off, especially at the office. You are a grown adult, your phone is right next to you on your desk, do you REALLY need to blast the latest pop hit through that tinny little speaker every time you get a call? Just leave it on vibrate, you will still be able to hear it, I promise.

Related: the person across the aisle from me has a ringtone of a terrible version of the first twelve bars of Für Elise set over a lovely electric drum dance beat. Really?

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
When they dub in "zingers" in (mostly comedy) movie ads. It's always so obviously fake and just looks like a pathetic attempt to get the catchphrase to "go viral" or whatever. A lot of the times the quote never appears in the actual movie.

e: Trailers for comedy movies are garbage in general, which is another peeve

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Short films that are basically long-form teasers.

Take the short film Plurality that I just watched. It's a great "oh poo poo I can't wait for this to come out" thing, but not a short film.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
It's tax season, and you can't read any online article/forum post about tax refunds without a few people trotting on in to go,
"Ha! Morons! If you're getting a refund, you're giving the GOVERNMENT an interest-free loan! You're a total tard! You should always have them withhold as little as possible! Aim for zero, or even bettemr owe THEM money and pay as late as possible! LOl, stick it to the IRS!!! Then you take all that money you saved and get more money from interest! LOL! Libtards, Ron Paul 2012!1!!!"

Oh yeah, ALL THAT interest I could have gotten. :rolleyes:

I got back about $1,000 from the feds this year. Had I done my withholding "correctly," then I would nether give nor receive any money at tax-time, and I could have invested/saved that grand.

Except...no, because I wouldn't have gotten that money all at once at the start of the year like I get it now. It would be an extra ~$38 per paycheck, which is hardly noticeable.

But ok, ignoring that, even if we could take all of it at once and put it away for the year, with today's rates, you'd get an extra...$10. Yay. Even if you put it into a CD, you'd be hard pressed to get more than an extra $40-50 from it.

I agree that if you're getting THOUSANDS back, and it's not from a one-time life event like buying a house or whatnot, then yeah, adjust your withholdings, but otherwise it's better to get it as a lump sum that isn't factored into your monthly/weekly budget that you can easily use for a one-time paying down of high interest debt, or to "treat yo' self," or Hell, you even still have the option to save it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's tax season, and you can't read any online article/forum post about tax refunds without a few people trotting on in to go,
"Ha! Morons! If you're getting a refund, you're giving the GOVERNMENT an interest-free loan! You're a total tard! You should always have them withhold as little as possible! Aim for zero, or even bettemr owe THEM money and pay as late as possible! LOl, stick it to the IRS!!! Then you take all that money you saved and get more money from interest! LOL! Libtards, Ron Paul 2012!1!!!"

Oh god I hate this so much. It's especially bad if you elect for extra withholding on your W-4. They go apeshit.

"WHAT? YOU'RE LETTING THEM HAVE ~AN INTEREST FREE LOAN~ OF EXTRA MONEY FROM EVERY PAYCHECK? YOU'RE A MORON! WHY ARE YOU GIVING THE GOVERNMENT MORE MONEY THAN YOU NEED TO, IDIOT?"

gently caress you, dumbshit. You don't know my tax situation. gently caress, you probably don't even know your own tax situation until April 15th when you walk to the post office and grab a 1040EZ from the rack, scribble a number on line 1, then furrow your brow confusedly as you reach for the instructions to figure out what to do next. Jump in a lake, rear end clown.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Delivery Charge on food.

Maybe there's a totally legit reason, but it strikes me as double dipping and i don't remember seeing it a several years back, but now I see it from every place I order. I was under the impression a big reason for tipping is drivers get paid sub minimum wage because they're expected to make it up in tips, and in some cases pay for their own gas? Why are you charging me delivery fees if you won't even pay your drivers proper min wage? It also strikes me as odd when they have a minimum order price. The minimum order cost exists to discourage delivery that wouldn't make much money, yet a delivery fee seems like it solves that problem?

I'll still tip but I've seen people who refuse to tip if there's a delivery charge.

Also, debit and credit charges, particularly on deliver food again. I know why they exist, but come the gently caress on. I pretty much never have cash because it's a massive inconvenience compared to just using a drat card.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I'm not entirely sure I'm in the right on this one, but... People who pronounce Tokyo with three syllables 'toe-key-yo' and Kyoto as 'kee-yo-toe'. Makes me mad.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm not entirely sure I'm in the right on this one, but... People who pronounce Tokyo with three syllables 'toe-key-yo' and Kyoto as 'kee-yo-toe'. Makes me mad.

Honestly i'm trying and I can't make myself say them with 2 syllables. I guess you are saying tokyo should be "toke-yo" but I can't get rid of the "ee" sound in the middle. Sorry.

Also re: delivery charge, I've noticed some places (dominos, for example) have started putting clarifications that the delivery charge is not a tip and the drivers still need tips. It just seems like a blatant way for the business to charge you extra money for no logical reason, just because they know people will order it anyway. As far as I know though, if you refuse to tip you're just hurting the driver because I don't think they get any of the delivery charge - or at least, that's what I've been told.

Something that's been bothering me lately is people who run everywhere. I don't know why but this seems to be quite common among the asian graduate students who work in the same building I do. The worst part is they tend to keep their heads down too when they do it. As a result, I frequently have to dodge them when they come bursting out of their office with no warning. I just collided with a girl who did that a couple hours ago and she barely had time to mutter sorry before sprinting off again. I used to work with a student who would always sprint ahead of our group when we were outside walking to lunch - she claimed she did it because she hated the sun, but the students I'm around now are inside so they can't use that excuse. What's the rush? Is the building on fire?

Also, loving whistlers. There's some guy that has been whistling most of the drat day in another office. I don't care how catchy whatever you're whistling is, I can't stand the noise of whistling and people are trying to work. At least close your drat door.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Murphy Brownback posted:

Honestly i'm trying and I can't make myself say them with 2 syllables. I guess you are saying tokyo should be "toke-yo" but I can't get rid of the "ee" sound in the middle. Sorry.

Actually, it's "toh-kyo", and Kyoto is the other way 'round.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

Those are just the correct English pronunciations. I don't know why place names are different in English, but those are hardly the most egregious examples. Why do we call Deutschland Germany? Historical reasons, obviously. but there's no good reason to keep doing it as far as I can see.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
People that keep the temperature in a closed space too high (office, supermarket, house etc)
No, I don't feel comfortable walking into a place that keeps the thermostat around 80-85ºf. No, you don't need to wear a coat with 70ºf weather. No, anything close to 100ºf during summer shouldn't feel comfortable for any human.
What the hell? These people are the worst. Wear more layers if you are that cold and let the rest live a decent not sweaty life

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Souvlaki ss posted:

People that keep the temperature in a closed space too high (office, supermarket, house etc)

I find 20°C too hot, so basically anywhere that has a heater turned on is uncomfortable for me, but it really annoyed me at the place I used to work that people would complain about it being too cold when they were wearing short-sleeved shirts, no windcheater, etc. and trying to get the heat turned up while I'm sitting there wishing the windows opened.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm not a lawyer, I have no qualifications in law and haven't even studied it. This does not stop a guy I work with from keep asking me legal advice.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Delivery Charge on food.

Maybe there's a totally legit reason, but it strikes me as double dipping and i don't remember seeing it a several years back, but now I see it from every place I order. I was under the impression a big reason for tipping is drivers get paid sub minimum wage because they're expected to make it up in tips, and in some cases pay for their own gas? Why are you charging me delivery fees if you won't even pay your drivers proper min wage? It also strikes me as odd when they have a minimum order price. The minimum order cost exists to discourage delivery that wouldn't make much money, yet a delivery fee seems like it solves that problem?

I'll still tip but I've seen people who refuse to tip if there's a delivery charge.

Also, debit and credit charges, particularly on deliver food again. I know why they exist, but come the gently caress on. I pretty much never have cash because it's a massive inconvenience compared to just using a drat card.

For the big chains, it's probably so they can make more money per order while keeping their advertised prices on parity with their competitors. "A large one-topping is only $9.99! plus tax and delivery fee" looks a helluva lot better than "A large one-topping is just $13.50!"

One of my buddies runs a sub shop near the local university campus, and I asked him about it when he finally started adding a small delivery fee to his orders. He said he hated having to do it because one of his core business strategies is to deliver really inexpensive sandwiches, but it was the only way he could think of to make what he needed to in order to cover his rising expenses without loving with his menu prices (and thus all his printed promotional material, menus, etc.), which have been the same for ages. Rent for his building went up because the owners' insurance premiums for the building went up. His own business insurance went up, and the rise in the cost of fuel made all his supplies and utilities more expensive. So, he was still selling sandwiches for three bucks, but was now paying more than 1.5x in business expenses compared to previous years.

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Mar 19, 2015

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Tea Bone posted:

I'm not a lawyer, I have no qualifications in law and haven't even studied it. This does not stop a guy I work with from keep asking me legal advice.

I got a lot of this in my first year as a law student. Yes, mom, I know your husband is screwing you over, but my three weeks of legal education cannot help you. I would if I could, though.

Oddly, it happens a lot less now that I've been practicing awhile. I still get the occasional "I know you don't practice criminal law, but can you help my friend's cousin's boyfriend who's totally innocent and the cops are lying and oh right you work for free right?" from someone I vaguely knew four years ago.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think that's the just the nature of being in the field/having an area of expertise/being law-adjacent. People do that all the time with poo poo - say you work with computers people will hit you up for tech support. ""I don't know poo poo about <blank> maybe that guy I met a few years ago who's studying <blank> can help me!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Today has reminded me of an annual extreme annoyance on facebook/life in general. Yes, pretty much all of us have money invested in NCAA tournament bracket contests. No, I don't want to hear a live update of your bracket's status after every single game. I can understand talking about it after major upsets, but if you predict a 2 seed beating a 15 seed, who cares?

And related: people who never watch a single NCAA basketball game during the regular season that turn into rabid fans/experts in college basketball during the tournament. I don't know anything about college basketball and acknowledge i'm just gambling by doing these bracket things, I don't put on an act like I know what I'm doing...but with some people, they read one espn article and they can't wait to tell you all about their super-secret ~sleeper picks~.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Oxyclean posted:

I think that's the just the nature of being in the field/having an area of expertise/being law-adjacent. People do that all the time with poo poo - say you work with computers people will hit you up for tech support. ""I don't know poo poo about <blank> maybe that guy I met a few years ago who's studying <blank> can help me!"

Oh no I get that. As I said, I have no education in law. I'm not even in a vaguely related field. This guy has just got it in his head that I'll know the answers. No matter how many times I tell him "no idea, your best off asking a lawyer. "
I'm met with a blank stare before he asks "but what do you think?."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

And related: people who never watch a single NCAA basketball game during the regular season that turn into rabid fans/experts in college basketball during the tournament. I don't know anything about college basketball and acknowledge i'm just gambling by doing these bracket things, I don't put on an act like I know what I'm doing...but with some people, they read one espn article and they can't wait to tell you all about their super-secret ~sleeper picks~.

I know jack poo poo about what teams are good now that I'm out of college, but I went to UConn so I usually just go and put them going all the way when they're in the tournament and then do some random semi-educated guesses.

I have won a surprising amount of money doing that the past few years. :getin:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Related to the above post, I always put my team winning every time if they make it in. People legit get MAD at me for doing it. So now I'm mad at them. Like, yeah, I know, I get it. its a bracket and I'm in no way going to win. But who gives a poo poo, its FUN. Don't get all sports analyst on me over this free piece of paper.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I know jack poo poo about what teams are good now that I'm out of college, but I went to UConn so I usually just go and put them going all the way when they're in the tournament and then do some random semi-educated guesses.

I have won a surprising amount of money doing that the past few years. :getin:

I do the same since I went to a pretty good school basketball-wise (go Terps!) and usually end up losing. Half the time I half-rear end a bracket and then just watch the Maryland games.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, definitely. Most of the time I don't mind it, especially if it's a close friend or family member and they just want some general advice. But it really starts to bug me when a practical stranger just pops up in my messenger (it's always facebook, that's how close I am to these people) and asks me for some simple one-line solution to their distant relative's very complex legal issue, the details of which I don't have. I just send them to the local low-cost law clinic, and they're usually pretty grateful, which is nice, but it's kind of funny since the five seconds they'd spend googling it is far less time than the ten minutes they've spent pretending to catch up on how I'm doing.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Tiggum posted:

I find 20°C too hot, so basically anywhere that has a heater turned on is uncomfortable for me, but it really annoyed me at the place I used to work that people would complain about it being too cold when they were wearing short-sleeved shirts, no windcheater, etc. and trying to get the heat turned up while I'm sitting there wishing the windows opened.

I will never understand these people. I have no other option but to get naked. You can bring a cardigan or a scarf. The worst group is bony post-menopausal women. Whenever I've had to work in an office with them it always sucks. I haven't had to in recent years. However, I'm in a masters program and we had one of these ladies drop in on our cohort's class because she had to miss her own cohort's meeting due to a vacation.This is a very intense program and we were warned a year in advance to clear our calendars, but she said she just had to get away to Hawaii. It wasn't for a special event or anything. Maybe she hadn't acclimated from Hawaii yet.

Anyway, the room where our class is is not well ventilated and it gets hot in there quickly. I was wearing a cardigan and a long dress, but I guess not wearing hose or something set her off. She's sitting there shivering in her thick patchwork sweater and MomJeans. "Aren't you cold?" It must have been 75 degrees (F) in there. By the end of the class my cardigan came off and I was fanning myself. She was still shivering. Sorry about your lovely circulation I guess?

But all of this happened after we had gone through a round of peer reviews in the morning, which brings me to another pet peeve: people who can't take criticism. When I give feedback, I always come from a positive perspective and ask questions rather than just line through poo poo to make my own suggestions because I'm a giant pussy and am afraid of hurting people's feelings. Yet somehow this broad started wringing her hands the moment I made a mark on her paper. Once the other reviewer and I began the discussion of her paper, she interrupted us to tell us her husband has a bachelors in publishing and he edited her work. She said that every time we pointed out a writing or grammatical error. Her methods made no freaking sense for the research questions she had, as far as I recall, so I tried to ask her for clarification. She explained further like I was stupid, and then when I suggested that she write down what she had just told me verbally as clarification she just shut down.

And of course she ripped my paper a new one when it was my turn. Which is fine. Please, rip it real good. However, some of the poo poo she marked up were things my professor really liked. I can't remember what the word was, but there was some vocabulary word that she circled with a big question mark and we got into a brief argument as to whether or not it was a real word. She did manage to find a few claims I forgot to cite that the other gal didn't find so gently caress you lady, you were still useful.

So, you know, then she proceeds to prod me about the way I dress and I'm just glad she's not one of my regular colleagues. Mind you, her cohort meets in the same room at the same time of day (we alternate weeks) so she knows how "cold" that room is.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Being a contractor for a big enterprise company, my pet peeve is some of our clients' employees. God forbid a service go out or else me and a dozen other employees are stuck twiddling our thumbs for a day or two until they client decides to get off their rear end and fix it. I mean on the one hand they're paying for our time so it's their own stupid loss, but on the other hand I could have been out of this hellhole by lunch today if anyone else thought that doing their single, solitary job was in any way more important than sitting and chatting in each other's cubicles for hours.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
People who it seems go out of their way to get in YOUR way when you're trying to get around :argh:

- When you get off an escalator, START WALKING, don't just stand there, there's a bunch of people riding behind you who can't stop because it's a fuckin' escalator;
- Regarding moving walkways: it's "stand on the right, walk on the left", not "stand wherever the gently caress you want so people cannot walk past you";
- I understand that you like to ride your bicycle, but why the hell are you ON THE ROAD when there's a perfectly good bike lane off to the side? You're just getting in the way of cars;
- Don't loving jaywalk. I can understand this when there are no pedestrian crossings nearby, but when there is one not ten metres from you, USE IT. And look both ways. You're going to get yourself killed some day, and it'll be horrible for everyone involved.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
People who celebrate Catholic Easter. Easter shouldn't take place before Passover, period. :colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
People who eat almonds one-at-a-time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Conveyor belt sushi places where too many people are ordering directly from the kitchen, which means the chefs don't have time to put anything on the belt. What's the point? Just go to the actual sushi bar up the street if you want real sushi. Nothing you get here is going to be "good sushi" anyways so stop loving up the gimmick.

Irish Joe posted:

People who eat almonds one-at-a-time.

I like biting almonds in half and then eating each half individually.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
"I want your honest opinion about this."

"It's okay. Needs work. XYZ don't make much sense to me-"

"AH OH MY GOD YOU ARE NEVER SUPPORTIVE! WHY CAN'T YOU BE SUPPORTIVE! YOU'RE ALWAYS LIKE THIS, ALWAYS NITPICKY AND INFLEXIBLE!"

If you don't want an honest opinion WHY DO YOU ASK.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

"It's okay. Needs work. XYZ don't make much sense to me-"

"AH OH MY GOD YOU ARE NEVER SUPPORTIVE! WHY CAN'T YOU BE SUPPORTIVE! YOU'RE ALWAYS LIKE THIS, ALWAYS NITPICKY AND INFLEXIBLE!"

There needs to be another checkbox on art sites that alters the critique message to read "The artist has asked for 'critique' on this piece, which means they want to hear the same five people tell them how great it is despite being a copy/paste of a prior work with some colors and features changed; any attempt to actually critique the work will result in your comments being deleted and your account blocked and reported for harassment".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Art schools need to teach Dealing With Criticism Like An Adult as a requirement for graduation admission.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Art schools need to teach Dealing With Criticism Like An Adult as a requirement for graduation admission.

While I don't disagree (holy poo poo my friend's classmates can neither give nor receive critique with any semblance of maturity, and she's a senior), a lot of these artists are also the "I don't need school because my mommy and daddy said I'm talented" types that have never heard a negative word about their work in their lives, in part because they've actively avoided anything that might make them rethink their capabilities.

I think that's one of my biggest pet peeves in general - people who think that ever once questioning if they are as good as they claim to be is somehow A Bad Thing, and the people who will collapse upon you like a human rockslide if you dare question the divinity of their golden calf. Non-artist parents of artists are the worst - they're often either "you didn't do it perfectly, so quit because you'll never be good (so don't try to help my kid become better because I disapprove)" or "you're so talented, keep going, don't listen to the people who say you're not good! (so don't tell my kid that there's anything wrong with drawing the same poorly-proportioned characters in the same anime ripoff poses for a decade without ever improving on any level)".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Cowslips Warren posted:

Same, but when a woman asks for advice for the sole purpose of ignoring it and doing her own (much stupider) thing.

Just remind yourself, "she's a woman. She can't help it."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)