Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Silver Falcon posted:

Related ovens that just have a dial to turn to set the temperature. Just let me punch in the numbers!

On my oven it defaults to 350F and then you have to adjust the temperature by pressing a + or - button over and over and over. No, holding the button down does not make it go faster. :11tea:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

that thing cats do what where they will just stand there and stare at your approach in one spot, until you try to step over them... and then they'll run right where you're trying to put your foot
It's even better when they do that seven times in a row so you know for sure that they are doing it on purpose.

I have a cat door, and my cat knows how to use it to get in. She knows it can be used to go out as well, but won't do it. She'll just bat it back and forth and meow until I open the main door, or just hold the thing open for her. And then one second later she'll walk right back inside.

https://twitter.com/slosifl/status/1317944331743920131?s=20

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Middlemen who just forward emails to and from me from someone else without even glancing at it.

For example: One of my drawings is in check, and the engineering supervisor sent it back to the engineer with a note to add an adhesive, which was just blindly forwarded back to me from the engineer. Since I have no clue what adhesive was used during the build, I had to send it back to him for clarification.

Like dude, it wasn't that much to look over, just spend the 10 seconds and give me the information that you know I don't know.

The thing is this happens all the time, doesn't matter who the middleman is, they just blindly forward things to me, and on multiple occasions I shouldn't have been the end recipient yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

:) "Hi."
:) "Messaging you now so I don't forget."
:) "Sorry this is so early."

Me: WHAT DO YOU WANT

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My other pet peeve is weird scavenger hunts. I have so far collected a flashlight and a tin for feeding a dog, but I really don't know what this is for.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

My other pet peeve is weird scavenger hunts. I have so far collected a flashlight and a tin for feeding a dog, but I really don't know what this is for.

Try combining them with the duct tape in your inventory, there's a non-sensical puzzle you'll need to solve later

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Try combining them with the duct tape in your inventory, there's a non-sensical puzzle you'll need to solve later

Is that the one with the duckie floating tube you have to pop?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Iron Crowned posted:

Middlemen who just forward emails to and from me from someone else without even glancing at it.

For example: One of my drawings is in check, and the engineering supervisor sent it back to the engineer with a note to add an adhesive, which was just blindly forwarded back to me from the engineer. Since I have no clue what adhesive was used during the build, I had to send it back to him for clarification.

Like dude, it wasn't that much to look over, just spend the 10 seconds and give me the information that you know I don't know.

The thing is this happens all the time, doesn't matter who the middleman is, they just blindly forward things to me, and on multiple occasions I shouldn't have been the end recipient yet.

My wife is a bio-chemist. She gets the same behavior from middle management. They just forward everything.

She asks, "On lots A-C we're receiving this data, however on lots D-E, something changed and we're not receiving the appropriate yield. Management switched vendors for the base and we need QA to investigate the reason for the yield change and if it's appropriate to continue. Unless you'd like a deviation written, which can be done, but it needs the permission from GSK to do so."

A week later, she gets an email back from her boss asking her why the yields are lower and why hasn't she fixed it. They literally just forwarded the email around until they were bored and sent it back to the person requesting the info and advice.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

docbeard posted:

:) "Hi."
:) "Messaging you now so I don't forget."
:) "Sorry this is so early."

Me: WHAT DO YOU WANT

Our IT department does this all the time. They write "Hello" and then stay silent until you respond, and then start writing their actual question. And that's if they even bother trying. I've had so many tickets commented with "could not reach them on teams" with no communication attempted, probably because I was away or busy and that means you can't leave a message I guess

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't mind small talk at work at all when we're face to face, but when my boss does this with "Hey, how are you?" via slack and waiting for my answer before getting to the point it is pretty annoying. In person it only takes a few seconds because we both can see we are present so there's no real delay, but with this exchange via text it can take up to like 10 minutes because he often seems to step away from his desk after asking me that. It's fine to just tell me what to do straight away, how i'm doing isn't going to change the fact that I need to do it. Also he never responds when I ask "and you?" after my answer so it seems even more pointless than usual.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

mostlygray posted:

My wife is a bio-chemist. She gets the same behavior from middle management. They just forward everything.

She asks, "On lots A-C we're receiving this data, however on lots D-E, something changed and we're not receiving the appropriate yield. Management switched vendors for the base and we need QA to investigate the reason for the yield change and if it's appropriate to continue. Unless you'd like a deviation written, which can be done, but it needs the permission from GSK to do so."

A week later, she gets an email back from her boss asking her why the yields are lower and why hasn't she fixed it. They literally just forwarded the email around until they were bored and sent it back to the person requesting the info and advice.

The UKs NHS is terrible for this. There are whole cohorts of people who job it is to push information around in circles.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate how often threads in Games (in fact, every single thread on SA) regularly have enormous Soulsbourne derails, even though they are great games.

I like them, but I'm not a turbofan unlike 95% of other goons, so I just have to resign myself to scrolling through pages and pages of nerd chatter before getting back to the nerd chatter that I'm actually interested in.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

SubNat posted:

They just feel designed for people to rip them open and just chuck the non-flat box in the trash, like a bunch of idiots in my building do in the trash room.

Aarrrrgh, I hate this too! My building's recycling bin is always overflowing with non-flattened boxes. I have to wedge my bottles and cans in tetris style.

I had to spend $50 on assorted USB cables and dongles this week because all my work equipment uses different USB port types. I know it's the bus that is supposed to be universal, but why are there like 5 different connectors??

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Amazon putting their customer "service" behind so many walls before letting you talk to a real person.

They sent me something I ordered yesterday morning after I paid for overnight delivery and they ended up sending it with USPS. They marked it as delivered a few hours ago. It wasn't delivered. I tried to contact support claiming they lied about delivering it (which is far from the first time) just to keep their delivered on time percentage up, but I got rejected from talking to a real person because "we are unable to do anything unless it hasn't been delivered by tomorrow".

How about refunding my overnight shipping charge? Or stop using a service if they routinely screw up orders? When they use fedex or ups I've never had an issue, it's only when they use amazon logistics or USPS.

I went through the same thing in Germany with them using DHL. They'd screw up over half my orders and I'd always repeatedly beg them to send me the packages through any other service that actually followed delivery instructions and didn't just dump it on a random neighbor, but apparently that's not an option.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Amazon is a garbage tier seller now and I won't use them unless:
a) It's a digital product
b) It's not available anywhere else(and I can't get a suitable substitute elsewhere)
and/or c) I don't care if I get a counterfiet.

The writing was on the wall the moment they implemented their own lovely logistics service instead of continuing to use one of the big three that are mostly dependable(with some variation depending on location). Their issues with counterfeit goods & increasingly difficult time seperating the wheat from the chaff while searching for an item are just the cherry on top. I'm not surprised they're also lovely about things that aren't delivered on time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Honestly I wouldn't mind unexpected delays like this if they actually were honest about it instead of saying "oopsies, something must have gone wrong with the deliverer's app!" Just say it's delayed instead of hoping you can get it delivered before I notice the tracking says it has been. Don't make me go out and check to see if they were too lazy to bring it upstairs and left it at the downstairs mailbox.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I work for Amazon on the logistics side of things and have asked support if there’s a way for me to pay for FedEx instead because their delivery service is so loving dogshit. Ever since they opened up a delivery center near my apartment, 5 of my 7 deliveries have had issues, with two of those being straight up cancelled and refunded.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Software that makes basic options impossible to find. Today's example: Thunderbird.

I wanted to increase the font size. Is it in the View menu? Nope. Edit -> Preferences? Nope. Somewhere under Tools? Nope. So I google it. You have to create a subfolder under your user profile folder and create a file in that folder and add a line to that to specify the font size you want.

So I do that and it still doesn't work.

Turns out, in the latest version, you also have to go into the advanced options and set "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets" to true.

To change the font size.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I work for Amazon on the logistics side of things and have asked support if there’s a way for me to pay for FedEx instead because their delivery service is so loving dogshit. Ever since they opened up a delivery center near my apartment, 5 of my 7 deliveries have had issues, with two of those being straight up cancelled and refunded.

The issue I seem to have is that the Amazon delivery drivers have a habit of delivering my packages to the other building at my end of the complex, and somehow it's inside their hallway, which I don't have access to every damned time.

Luckily I can usually just convince someone to open the door for me, but it's a damned hassle every damned time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

If we're on tech bitches I have a fresh one!

I work remotely, like a lot of people this past year. My workplace uses TFA to log into email and the virtual machine. The system texts you a verification code. The usual deal. Works great, right? Except when it doesn't.

This morning when I tried to log in, I didn't get the lousy code. So I refreshed a few times, fiddled with it, all the while getting more and more annoyed. Then finally, 15 minutes or so after this whole madness started, I get a whole mess of text messages with multiple verification codes.

But of course since the codes are only good for like, a minute, because that makes sense- I had to play a game of find the right code before they all expired.

Finally got the right one but now I am starting my workday highly annoyed, and it's not a good feeling.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This chat is giving me flashbacks to working tech support for Comcast. Charging clueless seniors 80 bucks to send a tech out to unplug their modem and plug it back in, great times, noble work.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This chat is giving me flashbacks to working tech support for Comcast. Charging clueless seniors 80 bucks to send a tech out to unplug their modem and plug it back in, great times, noble work.

How long ago did you work for them? I worked for them ages ago and the tech calls used to always be free. I think they charged in worst case scenarios but even then it was only 50$

Tech support was its own fun mess of pet peeves though. “Yes I know you said you unplugged your modem before the call. No, I totally trust you but please just humour me. Okay now it’s plugged back in? Is your internet working? Yeah that is weird that it did it for me and not for you after I forced you to do a simple task.”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Black Stones posted:

Tech support was its own fun mess of pet peeves though. “Yes I know you said you unplugged your modem before the call. No, I totally trust you but please just humour me. Okay now it’s plugged back in? Is your internet working? Yeah that is weird that it did it for me and not for you after I forced you to do a simple task.”

I mean as someone who at least was tech savvy 10+ years ago, I do unplug it for a few minutes before I call tech support, and do humor them when they tell me to do it again.

I'll admit that recently I felt really stupid when it turned out that it was my personal router was the one that had kicked the bucket, and theirs was working just fine :negative:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate how there isnt a single free and streamlined environment in which to write academic writing which the university just gives you access to as part of your tuition fee or something. this should be easily possible, like something which gives you templates for MLA, APA, chicago etc to work with in word, or just lets you add sources in a bibliography file by linking directly to the books via ISBN and having all of the information automatically filled in, or just anything that prevents a huge pileup of open browser tabs for various services that do this or reference guides for doing it yourself, formatting annoyances really slow down my work

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

i hate how there isnt a single free and streamlined environment in which to write academic writing which the university just gives you access to as part of your tuition fee or something. this should be easily possible, like something which gives you templates for MLA, APA, chicago etc to work with in word, or just lets you add sources in a bibliography file by linking directly to the books via ISBN and having all of the information automatically filled in, or just anything that prevents a huge pileup of open browser tabs for various services that do this or reference guides for doing it yourself, formatting annoyances really slow down my work

My wife swears by Zotero. Used it for her whole Masters and I think it saved her life a couple times.
https://www.zotero.org/

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean as someone who at least was tech savvy 10+ years ago, I do unplug it for a few minutes before I call tech support, and do humor them when they tell me to do it again.

I'll admit that recently I felt really stupid when it turned out that it was my personal router was the one that had kicked the bucket, and theirs was working just fine :negative:

I did the unplug and restart before a call once. Or I thought I did. I found out ten minutes into the call I had unplugged the wall wart to the power supply at some point and that's why the router wasn't working. Plugged it in while I was on the call and it worked fine. The guy on the phone is still laughing about it probably. I wanted to die over the shame of that for months. I was so frustrated and grumpy with the guy before that. Ugh god the cringe is killing me years later.

Sometimes I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind would be a great idea. Rewriting all my memories of being an embarrassing tech support call would be worth millions to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

The issue I seem to have is that the Amazon delivery drivers have a habit of delivering my packages to the other building at my end of the complex, and somehow it's inside their hallway, which I don't have access to every damned time.

Luckily I can usually just convince someone to open the door for me, but it's a damned hassle every damned time.

I live in an upstairs apartment and they’ve delivered some expensive poo poo to my neighbors, or missed the delivery window and I couldn’t reschedule it for any day that wasn’t the day after the planned day. When I would be at work. 200 miles away and not back for three days, so I had to call someone to grab my package for me. I’ve had multiple packages where the order was just cancelled because it was destroyed in transit, the least surprising thing ever for me because I see hundreds of packages destroyed in transit every night. They deliver as late as 10 pm, which is insane, I don’t know anyone who wants people leaving stuff on their doorstep that late. AMZL is so intensely lovely and they’re just expanding it, soon basically everyone is going to be stuck with that worthless rear end service.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I just splurged and replaced my cheap old wireless bluetooth earbuds with a nicer pair, and I must have the world's weirdest ears because none of the little crescent-shaped rubber bits fit quite right. They'll stay in initially, but as soon as I move even slightly they've fallen out. I mostly wear them to sleep, and every day I have to start by looking for the things, forget wearing them outside for any reason.

At least they don't blast my loving eardrums every time they're low on battery, waking up at 4am every day because my headphones want to scream at me to provide energy was a goddamn pain.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Zoom defaulting to 'Speaker Mode' which only blows up the video of whoever has the loudest input volume instead of showing everyone equally. In a work meeting where people are usually competent and there's a host who understands as host they can mute people, this isn't so bad.
On (shudder) "family zoom calls" this is atrocious. Old people who have been set up by their disinterested kid and can't follow the instructions on switching to gallery mode who keep going 'who all is here? can you show me <person x>? can you show me <person y>?' as if someone has control over who is being shown. When someone talks said old people disrupt with 'oh now it's showing me <whoever was speaking>!' thanks for the update. People who don't understand they're not muted and keep making the video flash between sources because they keep shouting at their family members from their couch, or their yappy rear end dog keeps barking. Hosts who won't mute these assholes.
I understand I'm a year late to these complaints, but it took my family a blessed year before they figured out they wanted to do these newfangled 'zoom' things.

Related: just remembering how big a fuckin deal it was that the family members who never try to connect with or contact me for an entire year and then only care about surface-level details of my life at Christmas, the one time my family actually interacts with each other, didn't make the invite list on my small (and ultimately covid-cancelled) wedding. Idc if they're my mother's brothers or whatever they're strangers to me

ultimately the peeve is having a family

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Bluetooth earbuds are in the case on the proper side of your head when you open the case facing you. The left ear is on the left, right on the right. You don't have to squint at them for ten seconds per ear trying to read the little letters every time you put them in.

And you definitely don't have to wear them in the wrong ear for hours.

e: I posted this in the wrong thread so I guess my peeve is that I'm this dumb all day every day.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Mar 26, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when people get beep boop about technology questions

i asked in my friends' discord if anyone had any experience with connecting a second screen via USB to their laptop and whether this still worked OK on an old laptop with less cpu power and one of them immediately went "Google it." and gave me a website which, in fact, didnt contain the information i was looking for

really the problem isnt that they give me the wrong information, but that i want a subjective account from a trusted source, not a bunch of specs

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what happened to your mishima av :(

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

nishi koichi posted:

what happened to your mishima av :(

some loon in jeebus decided i was a nazi based on nothing at all and changed it to a. hitler. i changed it back to distorted pepsi man because i like that one too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve: Shibawanako's nazi post probe. There are many silly things about that post but I definitely don't get the impression from it that they love Hitler

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeve: Shibawanako's nazi post probe. There are many silly things about that post but I definitely don't get the impression from it that they love Hitler

thank you. i do indeed not love hitler

i think they just decided to dogpile me in there because i said donkey kong country was a lovely game or something

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When people type it as “Covid”. It’s an acronym. No caps is fine, whatever, you didn’t care enough to hit the shift key. All caps is correct. Just the first letter? You cared enough to capitalize it but not enough to do it right. Do you write “Radar”? Only if you’re talking about the MASH character.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When people type it as “Covid”. It’s an acronym. No caps is fine, whatever, you didn’t care enough to hit the shift key. All caps is correct. Just the first letter? You cared enough to capitalize it but not enough to do it right. Do you write “Radar”? Only if you’re talking about the MASH character.

It's weird that it is all capitalised when the cov stands for coronavirus.

Maybe it should be CovID.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Edit - I am incorrect Covi stands for coronavirus so it should be CoviD.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Dysgenesis posted:

Edit - I am incorrect Covi stands for coronavirus so it should be CoviD.

Edit - Append is not revise

(What the gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dysgenesis posted:

It's weird that it is all capitalised when the cov stands for coronavirus.

Maybe it should be CovID.

Most acronyms don’t do that though. Like if you’re writing the acronym out in an explanatory way you’ll do “COVID (COronaVIrus Disease)”. I can’t think of any acronyms that do what you’re describing, really. Like RADAR is “RAdio Detection And Ranging”, your way would be RaDAR.