Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

reformed bad troll posted:

Go to a bank then fucker.

Or literally every bank has a mobile app for checking balances and moving money between accounts. Even if you don't have an app, there's Internet banking.

It's 2015, the only thing that an ATM does that can't be done quicker elsewhere is dispense money

Sure, but I walk by an atm on my way home from work. Why not just deposit my paycheck there instead of waiting to get home to do it electronically, take photos that the app keeps rejecting because the check being flooded with light is still insufficient lighting, and then wait the three or four days it takes to clear instead of next day at an atm?

But that's pet peeve of mine: companies that still issue paper checks instead of going direct deposit.

Another is people who whistle in public bathrooms. Dude, I'm in the stall next to you, I don't want to hear your off-key shrill rendition of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Theres been an increase of people who drive through red lights/take a left on red around my work lately and it's driving me insane. Everyone has to be hyper careful about crossing the street now because a bunch of assholes decided they're done waiting and gun it without looking.

Also, people who take an exit from the inside lane of a roundabout. The one that I have to go through is set up with two lanes: An outer one that has multiple one-lane exits and an inner one. There are signs posted that say you have to be in the outer lane to use the exits, but theres always someone who decides to take an exit from the inner lane. This really sucks as a pedestrian because they never check for pedestrians before doing so and I've almost been hit a few times despite having right of way.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Theres a left turn only lane that I take to get to work and it seems like every other day someone just can't comprehend that a person on a bicycle needs to take a left. During my commute today I had a person ride up my rear end, wildly honking before going around me yelling "Get in the right lane rear end in a top hat!" It's left turn only, why do you think i'm in it?

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 18:53 on Dec 14, 2016

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Nerds who think it's the height of comedy to casually throw misogynistic "jokes", or think people wanting gender equality in things is inherently funny. My brother was watching an Arch Warhammer video (ugh...) where he "takes down" a feminist article about how there isn't great female representation in Warhammer 40k and god drat does it really make me not want to like nerdy things anymore. Maybe this isn't really a pet peeve and more of a legitimate complaint, but holy crap does it get on my nerves.

Here's the "take down" video, if anyone was interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB5PHxHxq-M.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Dec 14, 2016

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

When a company doesn't read your cover letter or resume but still decides to reject your application. I just moved to and am looking for work in a new city and despite stating that pretty clearly on both my resume and cover letter I still get rejection emails saying, "Sorry, but we're looking for someone local."

I get that they're only looking at previous work experience and going from there, but it's such bullshit. Is it too much to ask that they at least read the first sentence on either pdf or check the address I had to input into their online form?

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Sep 23, 2017

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

When a place says they'll keep your resume on file for future positions and you're supposed to act like they're doing you a huge favor. I was one of over 300 applicants for a customer service job, we both know that you're never going to touch it again.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

When the temperature knob(s) in showers only have about 2 degrees of motion to get an actually usable temperature before it's either scalding hot or ice cold. My apartment shower compounds this with a plastic-crystal cold water knob that has no markings to show far you're turning it that somehow gets colder as you turn it up and down.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I had to go to Walgreens on the 26th and they were already putting out Valentine's Day candy. Why? Now that holidays basically blend into each other it just makes them feel so hollow and transparently corporate. I want holidays to feel somewhat special again :(

Another (very specific) peeve of mine is people claiming that Boston racism is over because of the march against the alt-right. I lived in that city for most of my life, and Boston still has a very entrenched institutional racism problem that isn't going to be solved by one march. I love Boston, but people need to use this opportunity to drive real change, instead of sitting back and gloating about how progressive they are.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, I definitely agree that all cities in America could do a much better job of combating racism, I was just singling out Boston because a disturbing amount of people whom I know that still live there have been getting more and more vocal about how the march (somehow) means that racism is over there.

I've brought up some of the problems that Boston is still facing to them: That an African American Bostonian's average net worth is only $8 compared to a white Bostonian's average net worth of about $200,000; how Boston consistently ranks as the most unfriendly city among people of color; that the board of tourism only highlights white neighborhoods; that the Black unemployment rate is still double that of whites; that admission rates of people of color in Boston colleges have barely changed in thirty years, and it just gets shouted down with "Why bother bringing that up? We defeated racism!"

I'm not saying that the march wasn't great or that it couldn't be the herald of some great changes, and it could just be that my friends are lovely, sheltered people. My worry is that if this is the narrative going around amongst younger affluent people then the status quo is only going to be maintained in the years to come.

Sorry for the rant, it's just really disheartening to think that things are going to turn around only for your friends to remind you why things don't change in the first place.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Dec 28, 2017

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I know it gets brought up a lot, but I really hate recipes that tell some long-winded tale before getting to the ingredients. And on top of that, you have comments/reviews from people who are so afraid of spice that you wonder why they even bothered in the first place.

"This curry was a hit at my church function! I didn't have any coconut milk so I used mayonnaise, and green bell pepper is far too spicy for hubby, so I substituted boiled iceberg lettuce. Also, I couldn't pronounce some of the spices like 'curry powder' or 'salt' when I went to the grocery store, so I just used my favorite canned chili instead. It already has spices in it so one less step for me lol!"

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

People that wear way too much perfume or cologne on public transportation. Having to sit in a dense fog of overly flowery crap for an hour makes me want to die.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Nerds who feel the need to engage in this weird dick-measuring contest on who found something the funniest or coolest is a recent peeve of mine. It just seems so desperate for validation that it just makes me sad. Occasionally, I'll put on a twitch stream for background noise while doing housework, and the most recent one I had on I happened to catch some of the chat which set this peeve off.

The streamer commented that this bad dad joke he found really funny bombed on his last stream. Cue the chat exploding with comments trying to outdo the last on how uproarious they thought joke was. One person would say they found it funny, the next would say they were laughing so hard they sprayed soda out of their nose, and the one after that was laughing and pounding his desk so hard that he injured his hand, and so on. What makes people do this crap? It's so weirdly cult-like and desperate that I just wind up angry and sad.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

The company I work for rarely buys the employees lunch (which is fine, whatever), but I wish HR would pay attention to the dietary restrictions we registered when they do order something. There are a couple vegetarians and I'm lactose intolerant, so no, we would rather not eat these triple meat pizzas that you order every single time.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I might have posted this before, but gently caress it this is really pushing me off. My mom recently begged, begged, me to change my birthday dinner plans to a chain restaurant (like the 99 or TGI Fridays) instead of my favorite local place because my brother wants to come. He's such a picky eater that she could tell he won't like anything they serve, and he won't go to my birthday party at all if he can't eat anything on the menu. I told her he can either suck it up and be a decent person or he's not welcome.

So I guess my peeve is extremely picky eaters and the people who enable them to the detriment of everyone else. If it was a food allergy, or he had autism or something, I could at least understand, but he's a 28 year old normal dude who never progressed past chicken nuggets and fries.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Happened to look at the thermostat at work because it's been crazy hot in there for the past few months. It's set to 82° (Fahrenheit). I talked to HR about it and apparently it's now company policy to keep the temperature above 80 in the winter because some people complained it was too cold. It's like sitting in a sauna for eight hours.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

docbeard posted:

If you know someone doesn't enjoy a particular kind of food and you insist on eating somewhere where that's all that's available because "gently caress picky eaters" then you're the one being an rear end in a top hat.

If they haven't adequately communicated their wishes or are just interested in whining and being a martyr, then they're the ones being an rear end in a top hat.

This isn't difficult, people.

I think I should clarify that these plans were made months in advance and I didn't invite my picky eater brother because he doesn't live close to me. All of a sudden, a couple of days from the party date, he invites himself and gets my mom to call and try to change my plans.

And this isn't even a restaurant that he couldn't eat anything at, the food just isn't served in a way he likes. For whatever reason, he won't change or make substitutions to menu items, so the menu text has to describe the food exactly the way he likes it or he won't order it. The restaurant has panko-breaded chicken cutlets, but it comes with a soy-based sauce so he therefore can't eat it.

Edit: This is the same guy who, when his doctor said that his cholesterol was off the charts because all he eats is fried foods and meat and bread sandwiches, bought an air fryer instead of trying to eat a vegetable.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Dec 14, 2018

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I've often wondered if he's on the spectrum, but my parents have always denied that he is so there must have been some testing done at some point. His personality doesn't really fit either, as he's outgoing, makes friends easily, and works in a public facing job where he makes tons of money that he likes to show off. He could be super-high functioning, I guess, but I don't see it.

Personally, I think he's just been catered to for most of his life and just got used to it. When we were kids, whenever he said he didn't like what we were eating, my mother would immediately go out and get him some chicken nuggets.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

My wife's office has free doughnuts for the employees on fridays, but one of the guys there eats them in a really bizarre way. He cuts them in half down the side (like he's making a sandwich) but only eats the top frosted part and leaves the rest in the box.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I'm an artist and really hate it when people poo poo all over your profession only to turn around and ask for custom-made pieces that they have no intention of paying you for.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

I can't help feeling disappointed and sad that I'll probably lose my father without ever getting to do this together. I never had the skills when I was young, and now it's too late.

I know how you feel. My dad played in a band as a side thing for a long time and I always wanted to jam with him, but lacked the drive to actually learn an instrument. Now that I'm older and devoted some time to learning one, I get a call that my dad had a stroke and can't feel or control the right side of his body. I don't really care if I play music with him anymore, but I'm so sad that he might never be able to do something he loves anymore.

Aging sucks :(

Maybe your dad could try an open tuning and use a slide? He could lay the guitar horizontally, too, so he wouldn't need to grip the neck.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

All this talk of eating vegetarian reminded me of one of my peeves: I really hate the poo poo people will give you for being male and ordering a salad as a meal. It's like it activates this really lovely nexus of misogyny, toxic masculinity, and homophobia in some people's minds, and they just can't help but judge your sexual orientation because they see you eating greens.

Edit: For clarity

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Sep 18, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Midig posted:

Right on the money. I actually kind of admire people who stick to their principals. Speaking of which, do vegans/vegetarians also have cheat days like the rest of us?

I'm vegan and only really cheat when moving/traveling. After hauling a furniture down a few flights of stairs and driving for ten hours, I'm not really in the mood to refuse a slice of pizza or something. Or, if you're in another country and theres a language barrier at a restaurant, it's a lot easier to order to point to something on the menu than it is to try and ascertain if there is any animal products in it.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Sep 18, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

One thing my wife does that drives me nuts is ask how a dish is before I've even tasted it. You're sitting right across from me at the table, you know neither of us has taken a bite yet. Why even ask right then? :psyduck:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm spiteful only when I think it's deserved, it's no fun doing it for no reason.

For example, I ordered something off grubhub today, it was an 18 dollar order. I pre-tipped 5 dollars because usually they don't mess around and get me what I want. This guy though...he calls me and says he's lost and asks me to go find him outside. I reluctantly do after he feigns not being able to understand english on how to find my door (detailed directions of which were included in the order). I go downstairs and guess who instantly pops out of his car? That guy. Guy just didn't want to climb the stairs.

so I contacted grubhub and canceled the tip, because gently caress that guy. He knew exactly where I was, he just didn't want to climb two flights of stairs.

As someone who worked delivery for a long time go gently caress yourself. Its possible this guy was lazy, but there have been countless times when I did delivery for grubhub where they didn't transfer a full address and/or full name to the order slip. I'd rather have the customer meet me outside than go knocking on random doors and potentially have your food stolen by an unscrupulous tenant because the information didnt get transfered to the printout. Don't punish the driver for something that might have been out of their control.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Can't grubhub delivery people contact the customer and resolve any problems?

Here' my experience working delivery with Grubhub:

Grubhub wants the delivery driver to contact them instead of the customer if there is an issue. The theory being that someone won't answer their phone if it's a number they don't recognize. Grubhub then contacts the customer via text. So, say you pulled up to a massive apartment building when you were expecting a single residence, and there is an incomplete name and no apartment number listed on the order slip. Contact Grubhub to ask what to do, but if the line is busy, or they're not answering the phone, or they can't get in contact with the customer, or they did get in contact with the customer but didn't pass along the information you need? Well, gently caress you driver! Grubhub is now ghosting you. It's also judging you on how fast you make these deliveries and will throttle your already low pay if you don't make a certain number of deliveries in a specific amount of time. So, now you try contacting the customer but all they do is give non-answers like "I'll buzz you in". You contact them again to try and eek the bare minimum amount of information you need to finish the job, and now the customer is pissed at you. You finish the delivery, get back in your car, and now the other deliveries are going to be late. By the end of the night, you've barely made enough to cover the gas you used.

My peeve is Grubhub. It's an awful company that treats its workers like dirt and foists all of it's problems onto the people least able to do anything about them.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Sep 22, 2019

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I've posted about it before, but whoever controls the office thermostat is my peeve right now. "It's sixty-eight degrees out!? BETTER CRANK THE HEAT!" :byodood:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

When comedies have actors do terrible impressions of famous people and try to reinforce the gag by having the other characters saying the famous person's full name over and over. I watched Walk Hard last night, and the part with the Beatles was just awful. It felt like every sentence ended with "Paul McCartney from the Beatles" or "John Lennon from the Beatles".

Its a bad joke! Stop thinking your audience is stupid, we'll understand they're the Beatles. Even if there is a person who doesn't, it still works as a send-up of 60's pop groups. Stop repeating their names!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Sure, I just don't think it's funny. It comes off like a bad SNL sketch to me.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

As part of an illustration course, we (the students) got to work with an independent news magazine to create an illustration for one of their upcoming articles. Each student would present 2-3 sketches to the art director who would critique them, then a second round of revised sketches and critiques, then each student would present their final illustration with one being chosen to accompany the article. Everybody thought this was a pretty cool opportunity to get some real-world illustration experience.

The article was about who were the top doctors in the city and the art director laid out the one ground rule: Because the publication was independent they wanted something totally unique. No cliche images such as doctors performing surgery/helping patients, city skylines, or ambulances. She really emphasized that and most of the student worked really hard to make something original. Some of the lazier students didn't even really bother with the rules and just made illustrations of doctors with a city skyline and were roasted by the art director during their critique.

There were a lot of really neat ideas and cool imagery presented at the final stage, but you know which one got published? A badly traced image of doctors performing open heart surgery with the city skyline sticking out of the patients chest.

Ugh. Why even try...

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

In sci-fi when they call the Earth "Terra". When do we switch to calling it that? Why? What would cause that to happen? Do we all speak Latin in the future?

Calling the moon something else makes sense if people live on other planets with their own moons, because "moon" is a generic term for any natural satellite. But "Earth" is literally just the name of a single planet and a pretty uncommon word for dirt. No one's going to think you're talking about a different Earth, because there isn't one.

And calling humans "Terrans" is even dumber. There's already a word that means "human". It's "human". If it's used as a way to distinguish people of any species from the planet that is inexplicably known as "Terra", fine, but in many cases it's just used as a synonym for "human" - I guess because it sounds more spacey.

It's used to tell humans from different planets apart. Terran distinguishes between someone born on Earth and a Martian born on Mars. They're both still human, but one might not consider Earth their home planet even if their ancestors did, and especially so if both are independent planets. Lots of sci-fi doesn't make this distinction or makes it a short hand for human (looking at you Starcraft), but the principle is still solid.

Something that's been getting on my nerves lately is job hunting. Just the whole process, really: Submitting your resume two or three times in different web page fields after uploading a copy; taking bizarrely worded personality tests that you're never sure you answered satisfactorily; never getting any kind of response or contact even if you're not what they're looking for; the crazy levels of experience needed for jobs that dont require even half of it. Plus, job culture in the states is so heavily tied to self worth that you cant help but feel like you're being shamed when you tell people you're still looking. Ugh. It feels like I might as well just be tossing my resume into a black hole sometimes.

Chip McFuck has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Jan 1, 2020

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I had a really great interview with a design firm a friend works at, lots of praise for my portfolio and got along really well with the Creative Director. Wasn't going to cross my fingers, but leaving that place made me feel so hopeful that I had finally landed something. A week or so later, when they told me to expect a call, nothing. Complete silence from them from then on out.

I found out through my friend that one of the CEO's kids just graduated from college and got placed right into the role. Didn't even have to interview. Apparently they were "intimately familiar" with the brands the company worked with because their dad sometimes talked about work at home.

Nepotism can suck a big one. Same with HR departments who know about this sort of poo poo but still go through the motions of holding interviews. Stop wasting both of our time.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Oh god, my wife does that too. Once, right as the first scene of the movie started, she asked who the character on screen was. It's not like she was distracted by her phone or whatever either, she was sitting next to me watching the movie the whole time. It boggles the mind.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I was recommended a Halo 2 play through the other day and had to close out of it because of the awful humor. At the very beginning of the game, the player and an NPC named Sergeant Johnson take an elevator together. The commentator decided this was the perfect time to unload these gems:

"I hope he doesn't RAPE me. You gonna RAPE me, Sergeant? Hope he doesn't RAPE ME in this elevator."

People still think this poo poo is funny?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Youtube has really started to push alt-right channels on me recently and it's pissing me off. No matter how many times I tell it to not recommend Steven Crowder or smol Ben they'll still pop up. Stop pushing that Nazi bullshit on me. I wish there was a ban option so I didn't have to keep doing this.

Another peeve: My wife doesn't put a new roll of toilet paper in the holder if she uses the last of it up, instead she puts it on top of the empty tube. It takes two seconds to change out! Now our cat gets to knock the new roll to the floor and chase it all over the place.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Was on a family zoom call for mother's day and my mom started talking about how this sitcom she is watching had this joke about a kid asking a doll's pronouns. My brother piped up and started talking about how there are only two genders and I just wanted to scream. I hate that there's so much familial pressure to keep in contact with him when I just want to sever.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

My boss has the annoying habit of ending the last sentence of all of her emails with ellipses. She is incredibly nice and supportive so I know this is probably something she does without thinking, but reading her emails triggers my anxiety something fierce. Real emails I have received from her:

"We should meet today..."

"I showed the client your proposal. Let's talk about it..."

"I hope your vacation is a lot of fun. We'll miss your contributions..."

How does this even happen? She must know what that looks like, right? Going into a completely normal, average meeting thinking that I'm about to get fired isn't great for my mental health!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

No. Old people just use ellipses all over the place for no reason. No one knows why.

It's similar to how they'll leave voicemails saying "please call me when you have time" without realising that the person who gets that message immediately thinks "oh gently caress, what's wrong!?"

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean as my grandparents left cryptic voicemails all the time but in this case my boss is in her early forties. What makes this even stranger is that minor copy editing is a part of her job, so god knows why she continues to do it :psyduck: