Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah except there are a shitload of scams out there that blind dial until they hit a number that someone answers and then will call it a few times a week from different spoofed numbers.

If it's an emergency or just calling from a different phone leave a drat message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Having worked as a sales person if I call a number and it's never answered it'd still valid.

If i call and you say no, gently caress you, it is no longer valid.

When you ignore it, it keeps your number as "valid" since they know it's real and has never received a "no".

That's great but these people aren't sales people, they are scammers.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I loving hate it when public restrooms use those sinks where you push the handle/button/whatever to turn on the water but they're installed wrong so the water stops a half a second later. Gosh, I wonder why everyone on this floor of the office gets sick all the time?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

lovely ringtones piss me right the hell off, especially at the office. You are a grown adult, your phone is right next to you on your desk, do you REALLY need to blast the latest pop hit through that tinny little speaker every time you get a call? Just leave it on vibrate, you will still be able to hear it, I promise.

Related: the person across the aisle from me has a ringtone of a terrible version of the first twelve bars of Für Elise set over a lovely electric drum dance beat. Really?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Being a contractor for a big enterprise company, my pet peeve is some of our clients' employees. God forbid a service go out or else me and a dozen other employees are stuck twiddling our thumbs for a day or two until they client decides to get off their rear end and fix it. I mean on the one hand they're paying for our time so it's their own stupid loss, but on the other hand I could have been out of this hellhole by lunch today if anyone else thought that doing their single, solitary job was in any way more important than sitting and chatting in each other's cubicles for hours.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Irish Joe is a longstanding member of the loving Morons Brigade in good standing, don't bother arguing with it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm trying to get back into playing guitar and I have a shitload of actual tablature books for songs I want to play, books that are all stamped with OFFICIAL AUTHENTIC RECORDED VERSIONS all signed off by the bands and publishers.

Almost every single one has egregious, glaring errors.

Sometimes it's minor - an embellishing note is missing an accidental and its just a matter of scribbling in the correct note. Sometimes, however, the entire book is hosed. I have a book of songs where every single song has completely unrelated chords at the top, and if I see a chord or voicing I don't know off the top of my head I need to look it up in another book because it's not going to be where it's supposed to be.

I get all this poo poo used for pennies on the dollar but the retail price of these books is often $20 or so - if I was paying retail for this stuff I'd be pissed as hell.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Thoughtless posted:

Hidden/private numbers. What, are you too afraid I'm going to call you back? Sadly, over here, government organizations tend to use hidden numbers (why) along with telemarketers, so every time I answer one it's like playing phone roulette.

I just see no legitimate reason to hide your number unless you're living under a different identity and frequently stalked by someone. And even then you can probably call me without using it, unless you're afraid I'm the stalker, in which case, again, maybe don't call me.

Lots of people have absolutely legitimate reasons for using a hidden number and assuming that they don't kind of makes you an rear end in a top hat.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I hate it when products sacrifice usability for design. I'd rather have a phone a millimeter thicker and an ounce heavier if it means it's sturdier and has a better battery life. I have a sweet convertible Windows tablet/laptop that I love to death except the keyboard is cheap and ultra light so the top-heavy tablet screen makes it tip backwards if it's open too far or on a less than perfectly flat surface.

Seriously, just make durable and good products, not everybody masturbates furiously to Jony Ive.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

God drat it Keith stop gaslighting us you bastard, we won't fall for it!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

When I try and unlock my phone and it goes directly to the camera mode. I have no idea what I'm doing to make it do that, and I can't replicate it when I actually want to. I have to delete a lot of floor pictures because I tap on it expecting the homescreen but it's the camera instead.

My Windows 8 convertible tablet does this sometimes just from hitting the physical sleep/wake up button and I have no idea how the gently caress to make it stop.

YOU ARE A TABLET WITH A lovely INTEGRATED WEBCAM. I WILL NEVER EVER USE YOU TO TAKE A SELFIE. loving CUT IT OUT.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

NonzeroCircle posted:

I hate how its now nigh-on impossible to quickly look at a guitar tab on my phone without being harassed about downloading the Ultimate Guitar or whatever app and give them money. I just want a quick reminder of a riff I last played years ago, not "instant access to 500,000 tabs", this poo poo has been up there for years, why should I pay for it now? Doesn't help the majority of sites are all part of the ultimate guitar network so pretty much any attempt involves mashing back a bunch of times and trying to commit it to memory before I get hassled 3 seconds later.

This annoyed me so bad I just grabbed the app during one of the sales.

My guitar tab pet peeve is when some idiot posts their artsy "acoustic" version of a song and it's in a completely different key with different strumming and is essentially a different song altogether but it still gets lumped in with the recorded version tabs because of the title. Then, inevitably, it gets voted up to four or five stars.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

reformed bad troll posted:

This is obviously a regional thing because I've never heard anyone call it a "lolly ice" in my life. I would laugh them out of the building if I did hear it.

Key tip: Mash the # button a million times...

"Sorry we are unable to understand you're request, please hold while we put you through to our customer service team"

Works every time.

Lol on Comcast's system it just makes the robot bitch hang up on you.

Of course at least in that case it says a polite "goodbye!" first, I have had an issue for about a year where their phone tree disconnects me completely at the stage where it's routing me to an agent. gently caress Comcast forever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I was all excited when I got XM radio thinking I would be free from morning radio shows since it's a nationwide broadcast over several timezones. Nope. The hits channel STILL has has a gaggle of stupid morning radio DJs and it's even more bland because they have to cater to the entire country so there's not even any local flavor to it.

On the subject of accents, I've noticed everyone in the Midwest pronounces "measure" as "may-sure" and it just stabs me in the brain every time I hear it.

I've lived in the Midwest for a longass time and have literally never heard anyone pronounce it anywhere close to that. "Milk" is really the only thing that gets mispronounced around here with any regularity.

My pet peeve is people equating shitholes like Iowa with the Midwest as a whole.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

People who never fly and end up holding up the entire TSA checkpoint because they're too loving stupid to read the hundreds of signs around them that all tell them to take their shoes and belt and coats off, take all their poo poo out of their pockets, dump their water bottle, etc. Usually they are very apologetic even as the TSA agent has to walk them through literally every step of the process, but this week I actually saw a woman in her 30s start arguing with a TSA agent about taking her boots off. It was 5 am and the only security checkpoint in the terminal. Lady, get out of the way so I can get through the line and get my coffee.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

People who spend all day continually editing the same internal corporate wiki page instead of working. They clearly don't realize that the page is auto-watched by everyone on the project, who all got two or three dozen emails detailing their struggles picking the exact perfect font and color to make readability a distant halcyon memory.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

docbeard posted:

Even worse are sites that use different fields for the different parts of the date (or some similar number like a phone number) and automatically move your cursor forward once there's text in one of the fields. So if you put in, say, the wrong area code, gently caress you because you will never be allowed to change it.

Shift+Tab

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

There's a discussion going on in the STDH thread about standing/sitting in concerts but I thought this post was more appropriate here. I hate getting bitched at for not standing or just expressing a preference for sitting down during college football/basketball games. If it's like 100 degrees in direct sunlight with no shade in the student section, you aren't a "bad fan" for sitting down for a minute or two here and there. Even if you spend the extra money to sit in the alumni section with shade and actual seats instead of just bleachers you'll still get yelled at for sitting down in them unless you're 60+ years old.

I mean I get it, college sports stadiums are supposed to be really loud/energetic, but is it really that egregious to take a break for a few minutes? Particularly if your team is up by several touchdowns - why not save your voice and relax a little?

I was at the roller derby international championships last fall, and they were televised for the first time on ESPN3 so there were people everywhere trying to keep the crowd excited. I was in the balcony and probably the only person not freaking out - Gotham lost the championship and ended their five year long winning streak, it was a big deal - and some rear end in a top hat kept harassing me to jump all around with everyone.

My cousin had just died that morning. Sorry for not losing my drat mind over every apex jump, but seriously gently caress off.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

gleebster posted:

I suppose we all mourn in our own ways.

It was either go to the event I'd bought tickets for months before or sit by myself in an AirBnB rental house all day with no food and no car, but by all means go on passing judgment man.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

cyberia posted:

Have you ever asked your parents why they chose the name 'Chad'? That goes for everyone with crazy-rear end names that have haunted them through their lives. Do your parents at least have a good reason for saddling you with these albatrosses?

(My name is a very normal, boring name and my parents intentionally chose it because it can't be shortened and they didn't want me to grow up with everyone using a nickname instead of my real name.)

Content: my current peeve is people who have an uncanny ability to stop conversation dead by not understanding basic social conventions. I'm doing the online-dating thing and was messaging a girl, asked her if she'd be interested in meeting up for a coffee sometime. Her response was 'I don't like coffee'. Welp, okay :geno: How do you not understand that 'coffee' doesn't mean coffee? It's just a polite, socially-acceptable way to frame meeting a stranger from the internet for the first time. We can have beer or soda or juice or you can just not drink anything, I really don't care. Another girl I was talking to: I asked her what she likes to do in her free time and her reply was 'I work pretty much all the time'. Okay, that's cool but again, this is a question designed to facilitate conversation. I don't care if you don't actually have time to do hobbies or whatever but just tell me what you like. gently caress. How are these people so dull that they don't understand how to have a conversation?

I hate to ruin your Friday but those women were almost certainly trying to blow you off as politely as they know how. The one who doesn't understand basic social conventions may, in fact, be you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bast Relief posted:

This, and I'm bored in there. I do a good, thorough job of cleaning, something unfamiliar to many goons, so I understand the shock, but it takes a while and I get bored.

It must take a hell of a long time to cleanse your enormous girth, you fatty fat fatty.

Of course the other option here, that you cannot exist for ten minutes at a time without entertainment, is just as funny.

What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Watching Netflix in the shower is weird as poo poo you broken weirdo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

People who complain about red light cameras are loving stupid. Oh, poor baby got caught running a red light and breaking the law, boo loving hoo. Guess what? You're in public and there's not a drat thing you can do about cameras in a public place taking your picture, especially when you're notified in advance of speed cameras being installed. "Oh no, someone DARED enforce the law, mah rights have been trampled! :byodood:"

What's next, gonna ask every retailer to take down security cameras because one caught you shoplifting, or spotted you breaking into a car in their parking lot, you loving moron? Yeah, that's what I thought. Assholes like that aren't mad at the laws being enforced, they're mad because they got blatantly caught doing the same stupid, reckless poo poo they'd probably been doing for a looonngg time before cameras were installed. If you don't want to get punished for breaking the law, then DON'T BREAK THE loving LAW.

People aren't mad about them because they get caught doing dumb poo poo, people are mad about them because they don't work properly, are put in place by shady companies that are outright bribing public officials, and they increase rates of injury-inducing accidents. You're pissed off like a little babby because you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

cyberia posted:

In :australia: (or at least in my state) the red light cameras are configured so that they don't activate until the light is already red so if you enter an intersection on an amber light you will not get fined. If you enter the intersection after the light is red you will get flashed and when you receive the fine in the mail it tells you how long the light was red before you entered the intersection. You can also view the photo of the incident which has two frames: when you first enter the intersection and (I think) a second later which will show whether you continued through the intersection or made an attempt to stop as well as if there were any extenuating circumstances like a traffic jam, accident, or emergency vehicle that may have compelled you to run a red light. There's also a process to make a written dispute and have your fine reviewed rather than going through the hassle of going to court to fight it. In my opinion it's a fair and transparent system and people still piss and moan about how it's a scam and just designed to make money for the police :shrug:

Even if the camera only fires when you enter on red, that still doesn't change the fact that intersections with red light cameras installed almost universally cut down yellow light times leading to far more accidents. The one near my old house changed the yellow light time to 1.3 seconds on a busy 45 mph road, which caused a ton of pile ups until the state got sued to remove it because they're blatantly a scam despite what just-world-fallacious retards like you think.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

While this may be true, the cameras aren't causing the accidents, stupid people following too close or running lights are causing the accidents. It's not the camera's fault that people are clueless morons, despite what retards like YOU think.

It's not a matter of following too closely, you intellectually challenged chucklefuck, it's that it's literally impossible to safely come to a complete stop in 1.3 seconds traveling at 45 mph, and that will result in accidents when someone slamming on the brakes ends up in the middle of an intersection. Jesus christ, the fact that there have been multiple corruption lawsuits and slapdowns from government agencies on red light cameras and the municipalities using them should be a loving clue here, it's not like the goddamn government suddenly decides "oh you know what, we actually don't want this extra source of revenue" over nothing, you bile-spewing poo poo-for-brains scrotumgobbler.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

:stare: I might legit stop hanging out with anyone over the age of six who cries over a boardgame, or really any game. Like unless it's some massive boardgame tournament with millions in prizes or something

Yeah, seriously. As someone who has a gaming group of adults who don't cry about stupid game poo poo it is basically unfathomable to me that anyone who had an emotional breakdown over a card draw would get invited back again.

E: and ADD doesn't account for that either - that's either deep seated emotional issues or just plain vanilla immaturity.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I don't understand any grown rear end adult that can't figure out poo poo like elevators and busses. You let people leave, THEN you get in. You don't just barge in the second the doors open and you certainly don't just stand slack jawed in front of the open doors as you block everyone with your enormously obese Jastiger rear end. I don't care if you're from some backwater hellhole like Des Moines that barely has electricity and this is literally the first time you've ever seen an elevator in your sorry life, it's not hard to figure out - and yet seriously half the time I use an elevator in a public venue I get plowed into by some oblivious fatty as I'm trying to exit.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Good cities have good bike lanes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I post my dreams on Facebook. Literally everyone will easily scroll past, because that is seriously the most narcissistic and stupid thing anyone has done since breakfast photography.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

TIL goons don't know how coffee filter baskets work

What is it like being the black and white "before" people in an infomercial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Not all coffee makers have a removable basket.

show me this terribly designed coffee machine, and then explain why you would buy such a thing

how do you get the grounds in in the first place?