Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Maggie Fletcher posted:

People who think they know more about my own hobbies than I do. You've never run a step in your life, but you feel comfortable telling me how bad my knees are and what my marathon times should be like? And disparaging pregnant women who are professional athletes who choose to run? I don't go around telling you how you should sit on your rear end and chew Doritos, you don't tell me how to train, okay?

A similar peeve from a friend who still lives in my home country: she of course knows waaaay more about my adopted country than I do, even though I've lived and worked here for a few years now. As she once told me, she knows the place better because she sees it objectively as an outsider (who watches BBC America, Masterpiece Theatre, and does the tourist visit to London every two or three years).

She also knows more than I do about my profession, even though I've been in it continuously for over 10 years now, and in some capacity for 25; she held the same job for about eighteen months in a completely different system, over twenty years ago, and got sacked for incompetence.

So conversations have gone like:

Her: Why is that guy Jimmy Savile all over the BBC news over there; he just seems like an over the top entertainer or something. He's harmless [this was a while back]
Me: There's actually a bit more to it than that...
Her: Oh, what do you know about it. Sounds like a witch hunt to me.

or

Her: I don't see what the big fuss is about David Cameron; he just seems like a boring politician. He's harmless.
Me: There's actually a bit more to it than that [explains]
Her: Oh, you don't know what you're talking about.

She was (and is) a good friend through some hard times, but sheesh, visiting with her is a choice between finding conversational topics that she won't do the know-it-some routine on, or just letting her go off on her diatribes and saying nothing. I think the latter is her husband's line of defense, while I tend to take a mix of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

KoB posted:

People who take criticism as an insult.

At the moment, this. I am co-editing a collection of essays with a colleague right now, and some of the chapter drafts we've been sent are appalling. I've been making quite a number of constructive comments for revision on a number of them, and my colleague keeps freaking out. 'ZOMG, you can't make all those comments on Dr XYZ's chapter! She's like a really good friend of mine, and she'll be so insulted!!!'

Dr XYZ might be your buddy, but she also sucks when it comes to writing a chapter for a peer-reviewed publication. It gets revised or it doesn't get included (because the publisher's peer-reviewers are going to reject this mess when they see it, so it's better that we make suggestions at this stage so that she can revise).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

Another thing: drivers who come to a complete stop before making a turn

Related: drivers who slow down to under 45mph on the motorway as they approach a sliproad. I can't overtake them because the traffic in the right lane is going to fast for me to get out from behind this moron and make my escape. So instead, I'm stuck behind them with a giant lorry screaming up on my backside* because Ma and Pa Archer think it's perfectly all right to noodle around on a major highway 30-40 miles an hour under the speed limit/speed of traffic.

*And in morning rush hour, I really don't need anyone's rigid grill structure bearing down on my unprotected cargo door.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Tiggum posted:

English people use mph for the speed of cars (for some reason). Nothing about that post looked particularly American to me. :shrug:

I'm 1/2 and 1/2; my pureinbred English husband would have said 'up my ringpiece' in place of 'up my backside.'

Also, driving idiocy transcends national and cultural boundaries; every time I'm on the M3 southbound where it splits into two halves onto the M27, one half towards Portsmouth and the other towards Southampton, some demifuckwit always ALWAYS cuts me off at the last minute to swing across four lanes because he's meant to be going to Soton rather than Portsmouth (and vice versa). It's well signed, and you know these dozy bastards probably travel along this stretch on their daily commute.

Soz about the confusion Bertrand Hustle; you have a lovely avatar, by the way.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Oh, god, this is so true. For everyone, singles and marrieds alike.

[:words: that I heard for years]
I can't imagine what it's like for marrieds. At least I have the excuse of "let me get married first." You guys have no excuses.

I hit the half century mark this year, and my elderly mum still asks me if I'm going to have kids.

On the 'no one listens to you when you're ill/injured' -- mine comes from being the youngest, and having siblings who used to try to fake illnesses to get attention or get out of school. So along comes the baby, me, who is never believed when I fell ill. It used to be, feel like poo poo, get scolded for acting out, get dragged to school (hour long bus ride which didn't help matters), be so ill at school the teachers send me to the nurse's office, get scolded by the nurse for not telling anyone how ill I was, parents get called in to pick me up, get scolded by parents for being a martyr and not telling anyone that I was ill.

I also tend to develop a bit of a bronchial cough every time I get a cold/flu, and my dad honestly believed it was a fake attempt to get attention. I still have the ability to cough silently because of him shouting at me as a kid to stop faking it.

I broke one of the bones in my foot when I was still at university, and no one believed me; I limped to the infirmary, where the doctor on call refused to treat me, because if I'd walked there, I couldn't possibly have a broken foot. Managed to get back to the house (I lived at home when I was at uni), parents didn't believe me, even though by this point my foot was too swollen to get my shoe on properly. Older brother finally took me to a clinic to get it sorted.

And for the trifecta - if I ever felt 'off' or was having a bad period, my mother's immediate response was that I must have a sexually transmitted disease. I would get the occasional UTI that were quickly sorted with antibiotics, but of course, it was an STD (despite the fact I was a geeky kid who never dated or had a boyfriend until - not coincidentally - I moved out of my parents' house and got away from their weirdness). The only exception to that was when I came down with a UTI at aged about 9, and suffered with it for several days before my mother took me to the doctor, because, as with colds and flu above, she thought I was just acting out and being silly.

t:mad:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I rarely go to the cinema (despite really loving films on the big screen) because of the thoughtless demifuckwits invariably in attendance. Mr Boods convinced me to go to a jewelbox of a cinema this afternoon as they're showing restored Laurel and Hardy shorts :buddy:. He's been looking forward to this for about a month, and I hadn't seen either film since I was a kid, and why the gently caress not...

:argh:

Stadium seating, and around us, maybe only 10 or 12 other patrons, mostly older, but a couple of grandparents with gradnchildren.

Then comes in a rather young woman with two tiny kids, an infant and a toddler. They park themselves down in the front. She lights up a giant phone about five minutes into the first short to start texting and surf the internet while one child screams and cries and the other races up and down the aisles, completely uninterested in either film, trying to get mum's attention.

:argh:

Mum clearly had no interest, toddler wasn't interested, infant wasn't interested. Several people got up and walked out during the second feature, and as we were leaving, everyone else was grumbling and tutting. :britain:

I'd like to see Spectre in the cinema...I guess it would be easier to ignore the idiots in a big, loud, splashy film, but during something sweet and gentle like L & H it was annoying as hell.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's even more annoying if they just leave like half a square left on it so they don't have to throw it out because it's not empty yet. This applies to food/drinks too - people who will leave like 3 chips in a bag, a sip of soda etc. Just have it all and throw it out instead of disappointing the next person who picks it up expecting a reasonable amount of it being in there.

I am married to a person like this.

Even better: you go to go to bed, absolutely exhausted: surprise! no sheets or pillows on the bed because he decided to strip the bed and do the washing.

You go to take a shower and reach for the flannel/towel: surprise! no towels or flannels anywhere in sight because he's decided to wash them whilst you're in the shower (he ninjas in and out of the bathroom, and I'm blind as a bat without my specs). Ditto when you've been doing the washing up and turn to dry off your hands, and all of the dishtowels have similarly disappeared.

My mom's rule for household stuff like that: strip the bed, make it up with new sheets at once. Collecting towels for a wash, replace them at once.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Nov 19, 2015

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

IT support for family and friends is sometimes the bane of my existence. I might help once in a while (usually because people will offer to pay either with money, food, or doing something for me in return) but it gets really, really old hearing the same people constantly ask for computer support and assuming it's "free". No, sorry, they're taking time out of my day when I'd rather be doing anything BUT working on computer poo poo, and then they have the balls to get upset when I ask for payment, like I just walked into their house and stabbed their dog in front of them. At least once they hear that I want something in return, they either shut up or we find a decent compromise, so it's worked out for me :shrug:

"Cash, rear end, or grass - tech support isn't free"

In a couple of days, I'm going to be visiting my mother for the first time in four years. Because of my schedule, I can stay only three days. She wants me to spend this time 'fixing her computer*.' :suicide:

*'fixing her computer' = she hasn't run Malwarebytes or any of its ilk in the same four years since I moved away, and blames me that her computer runs too slowly and that 'all of these pop ups keep coming on the screen when I try to use it.' She claims it's because I installed Microsoft Office on it back then and that I've left 'too many icons' on the desktop. She has maybe ten icons on the desktop, all of which are daily-used things. Her issues have NOTHING to do with the fact that she never runs a virus checker or CCleaner or a registry cleaner, &c, is still using XP, and clicks on every goddamned banner ad/downloads fwd: fwd: fwd: attachments from the demifuckwits at her church, or anything like that.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

School run parents who turn our estate into a rat-run twice a day. When they're not blocking driveways with their cars, they're letting Tarquin and Penelope pick the flowers in our front garden (which they drop a few steps later) and leave rubbish all over the street and front lawn. Then there's the ones who don't park along the side of the road, but actually pull their cars up over the kerb, blocking the pavement and leaving deep ruts in the verge -- the verge in front of the school itself looks horrible as a consequence of that one, especially as it's been pretty rainy this year. Other highlights include parents who stand in front of their cars to yack after they pick up their kids -- on the one hand, whatever, but on the other, there's one kid who consequently sits in mum's Audi and blasts the horn repeatedly to let her know he's ready to go home.

(No kids on this estate actually go to this school -- the parents clog up our streets because they've already blocked the road that actually runs along the school -- a blind 40 mph curve which makes the morning commuute magical if you're not expecting suddenly to have one lane of the road impassable. They cut through the houses here after they park up, including several people's back gardens back towards the end of our close, to get to the school grounds).

Tomorrow is the last day of school for six weeks, thank the lord gently caress.

Then the summer day camp starts at the non-dom 'youth centre' that was plunked down on the edge of our estate a few years back. Fair play to the kiddies, but the camps runs 9am - 1pm every day for a few weeks, and the parents stay with their kids for the entire day -- which means instead of blocking the streets and drives for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, you can't get in or out of your drive for four hours every day. Why on earth do the parents have to hang out at the day camp all day? When I was a kid, I loved camp and day camp as a chance to get away from my parents and hang out with the other kids and stuff. :psyduck:

Again, none of the kids in our neighbourhood actually go to this camp/youth centre.

(Apologies, I've ranted about this before -- I've been working from home the past couple of weeks so it's been more noticeable when I try to get in and out of my driveway during the school run. The little kids themselves are rather sweet -- yeah I know those flowers up and down the road are tempting -- and know all the neighborhood cats who come out to get pats during the school run; they're convinced that Evan, the white and ginger Tom up the street, is actually a fox. It's the parents that make me see the red mist.)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Murphy Brownback posted:

Are you not allowed to build some sort of a locked fence around your property? I guess people would still block the roads but at least they wouldn't mess up your lawn.

Some people do have their front gardens behind walls or gates; me and Mr Boods couldn't do that without getting the neighbours involved, as our house is a semi-detached and so we share the (rather small) front garden with them. Keep in mind if people have any sort of front garden, it's very small, if not just a border (a lot of people just pave or brick over their front gardens around here which looks about as nice as you might imagine).

Fortunately we're closer to the top end than the bottom end of the close -- that's where the school run people trample through other people's gardens -- there is a public path, but you know, like Smokey and the Bandit some people 'gonna make their own lane, son.' There's not much one can do about them parking up in the street and across drives and that; one neighbour down the street has a sorted of wedge-shaped lot so that his drive joins the road at a strange angle -- he can't get out at all during school run times. He's apparently had confrontations with parents who get up in his face about how 'it's only a few minutes!!!!' No, it's like an hour in the afternoon, as they start showing up around 3pm and don't clear out til 4.

And nope, the council won't make the streets residence parking only (which is usual under circs like this).

The governors of this school are quite cheeky -- they have fetes a couple times a year, and push notices through our streets' letterboxes announcing the fete, and how we're all welcome, and how the local police have given permission for people to park up on all of the streets in and around the estate for the day of the fete (they even put the local cop shop logo on the announcement as an endorsement). Next door neighbour rang up the local constabulary who knew nothing about it.

Probably a small peeve in the grand scheme of things, but it irks me.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe not from places like Amazon. But smaller businesses and base retail, yes. Especially if there is a known problem with poo poo not getting to your house.

Ms. Boods, is there any way to fill your street with your own vehicles or put out traffic cones or something to block the way in?

Sadly, no, but I've been looking in to this company's fine products:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GmBBXywyI

Edited to add: one way my neighbour messes with the school-run parents is to park his car on the street instead of in his drive (which is perfectly legal). He doesn't take up much room, but they all have ~their spots~ and it throws them off when he's feeling ornery. It's like when you go into a classroom midway through the term and sit in a different seat for the hell of it. He got a telling off one day from one of the mums because he was in ~her spot~.

This warms the cockles of my otherwise stone cold heart.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Jul 14, 2016

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

KoB posted:

"Look, I need to do a, b, c, x, y AND z today. I dont have time to do the chores Ive known about all week and put off to the last minute"

Youve had months to do all those things and then it all comes to a head one day and he never ever learns a lesson.

This is pretty much everyone in my department at my university at the end of the summer and the week before the term starts, except, of course, they contact me at the 11th hour screaming at me to do a, b, c, x, y, and zed today.

I've pretty much worn off the 'N' and 'O' keys on my keyboard as a consequence of people like this.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Current peeve, short version: -- colleagues who have a meltdown over scheduling/deadlines at the 11th hour, due to their own negligence, and then expect me to gently caress over my own schedule so that they can go skipping off to commune happily with the fairies.

If I cave I get nothing in return except for stress and a really lovely schedule that will screw up some of my own future deadlines, part of my commute, and my finances (since I will end up having to cancel or blow off commitments I made in the time since I ok'd my schedule in the month since it was released).

Knowing my head of department, who is the poster child for settling conflict with the path of least resistence (whether it pisses people off or not) as well as delegating tasks downward to avoid taking responsibility, will probably pressure me to change schedules with this muppet -- setting a bad, bad precedent. (Not to mention me wanting to smack this muppet up the side of the head for not sorting out this particular issue when he had the chance not weeks, but months ago.)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, it gets better. I've tried to work out every possible compromise that won't screw up my schedule, but nope. It's not scheduling's fault -- they can only work with the info they were given weeks/months ago, and now timetables are pretty much set. At this point, changes should really only be of a minor variety. Unless, of course, they swap two of the schedules around so that one person benefits and another gets hosed over. In this case, that's now me, through no fault of my own:

Dude is telling me he has to have either a Monday or Friday off because his partner is going back to work in January after her maternity leave is up, he has to be there one full day either on Monday or Friday, because childcare is too expensive for 5 days a week, and grandparents can't be there every week and :words:

How in the name of gently caress, exactly, are his domestic issues my problem?

As predicted, my head of dept wants me to roll over and gently caress up my own spring schedule to accommodate this muppet's wife, effectively. Thanks so much. But then again, this is the same guy who regularly caves in when students' parents phone up or email the department complaining about how their precious snowflakes are being treated.

I get exactly nothing in exchange for this except a lot of stress and pretty much loving up two planned research projects (finishing a book on the one hand, and setting out what was going to be a fairly substantial grant proposal on the other).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

My car-horn peeve is tied in with the school-run peeve: twice daily our estate is rammed with yummy mummies doing the school run, as the houses at the end of the close back up to the school property. So from 8-9 and then 3-4 you cannot get down our road at all for the twat tractors blocking the drives, pulled up onto the pavement, on the verge (always a delight in this rainy weather, as they churn the grass up into a muddy, tyre-rutted slag heap), &c. Another rant for another day.

Meanwhile, there are always one or two sets of parents who stand around yackiing after they've collected their offspring; lately one of said kiddies has expressed his impatience with mum by climbing in the car and laying on the horn, not unlike a freight train as it approaches a level crossing. Every afternoon, WHOOOOOONKKKK. WHONK WHONK. WHONK WHOOOOOOOOONK and variations thereon. Sometimes he tries to play a little tune.

Annoying as gently caress.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The annual visit to the in-laws. They are lovely people, and they try so hard to make everyone feel included. I've never been much of a family-orientated person and got away from my toxic relatives at as young of an age as possible. That said, I am friendly and polite and listen to the stories of their current hobbies and interests and gossip about the locals in the village, &c (he grew up in a tiny village in Kent near Leeds Castle, the kind of place where there's a 13th century church and a village green, pram races down the main street on New Year's Day, and everyone has the same peculiar eye colour, and there was much :pwn: when his mother married a boy from the next village, &c). They are very sweet, and Mr Boods' 80+ year old dad is quiet, but with a sly sense of humour. Ditto his elderly spinster auntie.

However, ugh, as I moved over from the US permanently about five years ago, every new rellie who came into the house this year wanted to ho ho ho with me about Donald Trump and what do I think about the whole Trumpster situation and bleurgh. I just politely said that I didn't discuss politics and turned the conversation to something else, but Mr Boods' brother-in-law, who'd demolished a six-pack of Strongbows and was well into a case of Spitfires, would not let the subject drop. I just sat there, smiling blandly and let him blart on until Mr Boods' sister gave her husband a smack upside the back of the head and sent him out into the fog to put the chickens up for the night.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 14:51 on Jan 1, 2017

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I called my internet/tv/phone company telling them I was moving away and they actually asked if I'd consider staying if they took off 25% a month. I get that you have to ask anyone cancelling but the script should include some common sense. You aren't going to retain a customer moving out of your service area no matter how hard you try, sorry.

I got that from Comcast when I was moving; the guy at the other end was relentless trying to talk me into staying if he reduced the package (and I was also in the situation where I was paying for a phone service I didn't have, and cable TV that I didn't have; I just wanted internet, dammit). In my case I was moving to another country, but even that didn't discourage him.

Trying actually to go to the physical Comcast office in my area (near Newark, DE, for the record) was not unlike Arthur Dent's attempt to find the city planning office to get the paperwork related to the demolition of his house.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The Snoo posted:

it's been warm out, and instead of using the AC, we've been leaving the windows and balcony door open in our apartment to let the fresh air through. in the evening it's cool and relaxing, and helps us save on our utilities!

in addition to the weed smell that permeates through our apartment whenever the hvac system is on at night, one of the guys downstairs goes out to smoke a cigarette every half hour. so I have to close to balcony door every half hour because the smoke goes up and into our apartment. it's not cooling down in here at all because the door needs to be open for the air to circulate well.

:sigh:

I feel your pain here. I used to live in a nice little apartment back in the US, and once spring came, it was so nice to be able to open up the front windows and let the place air out, plus open windows on cooler nights to let in fresh air. Til the retired dude moved in downstairs. He commandeered the communal front deck/stoop/porch shared by four apartments, and sat outside all day YELLING LOUDLY INTO HIS PHONE and chainsmoking what my best guess is poo poo wrapped in cheap paper. No more open windows, and I ended up buying white noise machine so that I didn't have to listen to him recap whatever current sports he'd seen the night before.

Dude was deaf as a post, so would crank up his TV and radio so loudly that I could keep a record of everything he watched. He also stayed up til 4 or 5 am (about the time I had to get up for work), blasting the TV/radio while he played online poker. I ended up having to move my bed into my living room because the bedroom was directly over his study.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

People who hit 'reply all' and create an enormous chain of emails in my work in-box. Fortunately, I use a version of Outlook that stacks together conversations on the same email chain instead of each answer appearing as an individual email, otherwise this latest one would be generating 20-30 emails a day alone.

It's a phishing email from an 'academic journal' in India, trying to get people to submit articles and papers for publication. Before I took about 15 minutes or so at the weekend blocking the key email addresses, I was getting constant emails from people asking to be removed from that mailing list, or people yelling at everyone not to hit 'reply all' or people trying to explain the the entire thing was a phishing scam and just to delete the emails and stop replying to everyone.

I checked my junkmail this morning, and there are about 50 of these emails, just since Sunday evening.

It's bad enough that people at my university can't distinguish between Reply and Reply All; now I'm getting phishing emails with people hitting 'Reply All' and trying to argue with a bot.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

How can people working at a university not know how to spot phishing things or phony journals like that? I get them at least once a week, I don't even have to click on them to know it's bullshit.

It's not people from my uni answering -- it's people from universities (judging from the email addresses) from all over the world. gently caress knows. But, that said, people at my own university also do the 'reply all' thing to massive emails, which is annoying because they invariably have nothing to offer to the conversation.

And, yep, to reply-all and including people -- including students -- whom you'd rather didn't see the entire chain of emails. I had to beat that out of a colleague who did trash talk students in emails, thinking they wouldn't see his responses in reply-alls. Magical!

As for falling for phishing -- it happens all the frigging time, if the intranet news is anything to go by. We get some damned good spoofs of our various email pages, but hovering the mouse over my.universitys.address at ac uk reveals all sorts of gibberish and nonsnes that gives away the game. Yet more than once a semester you find out that someone has given away all of their log in details to a phisher and passwords and all sorts of poo poo need to be reset.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Sharing a flat with one other person. I email the real estate agents about some issue, cc the other tenant. Reply comes just to me and I have to forward it on to the other tenant. Every loving time.

This is me and a publisher I'm working with at the moment. There are TWO of us co-editing a major project, and sharing a lot of the chores (as we have 12 authors contributing) -- the publishers have, without fail, only emailed me at every step of the process over the past two year, despite me cc'ing in my colleague and asking repeatedly that they include him. Sometimes I've been on leave or at conferences for a week or more at a time and miss important emails; every single time I have to forward stuff on to him. The point of two of us is so we can efficiently deal with your deadlines, you numpty publishers!

As for missing meetings -- a student of mine who has been always a chronic abuser of tutorial times found out yesterday the hard way that no, you can't come 15 minutes late to your tutorial time and expect to cut in on first, a closed door meeting between me and another professor that was scheduled after his tutorial; second on the student who was scheduled 45 minutes after his tutorial; third, during the 10 minutes I had to get my stuff together and race across campus for a two hour lecture. Scheduled times are scheduled for a reason, and standing in the hallway crying because you are late again doesn't mean I'm going to inconvenience others (and myself) because you never show up at the appointed times :argh:

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Mar 29, 2017

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Eau de cigarette: when I was little, my mom put me in another school, and I ended up carpooling with a family of teenagers who went to the upper school attached to my elementary. I liked them; it was fun being around teens who treated me like a little mascot. Problem was, they all three smoked like chimneys, but only in the car because they didn't want their own parents (or mine) to know.

I was at that school for two years, and got teased constantly for smelling bad; I couldn't smell the cigarette smoke after a while because I was effectively basting in in for the 40 minute or so car ride each way every day, but my mom said my school uniform could have stood up on its own, the reek was so solid. Like someone above said, the teachers thought I was smoking because of how strongly I smelt of it. Why didn't my mom ever say anything either to the kids or their parents? Because she, like my dad, were passive-aggressive, and never wanted to get 'involved' -- besides, they were afraid if they spoke up, I'd get kicked out of the carpool and then they'd have to drive me to school.

Year later, my ex was a former smoker, as were his parents, but after his dad died, his mother went back to it because of the stress and heartbreak. Fair does,, but she was also skint as gently caress, and bought the cheapest, nastiest cigarettes available. I hated visiting her, because everything in her house stank, and it got into our clothes, hair, anything made of fabric. Everything in the house tasted of it -- and she would try to disguise the smell with those plug-in air freshner/perfume things that just made the house worse.

Her smoking was the gift that kept on giving, because she was a quilter, and she knew I liked to quilt and sew, as well. She'd always have really great fabrics and samples saved up to give me when we visited or she'd send me a box at Christmas that she'd spent the year filling. No matter how many times I washed the pieces, though, they still stank. I'd get them where I thought they were clean, but as soon as I ironed a piece I was stitching, up came the horrible stale stink of old cigarette smoke.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Current peeve: travelling with someone who (positive part) is keen to explore a new city with you and go on walks to check out the local area or spend a day trekking around the museums or giant zoological park here, but (negative) packed four pairs of shoes -- all some kind of high heel dress shoes or sandals.

And then complains that I'm walking too fast or that they want to sit down every 10 minutes because their feet hurt. I'm pretty talk and have a long stride naturally, and having to shuffle so that she can keep up with me in her absurd shoes is making my knees hurt :(

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I never noticed anything like that here, but I have heard that kind of laugh since elsewhere - a kind of desperate, almost forced "I get that reference and must let everyone know" kind of shriek.

Scattered throughout the theatre when I went to see Spamalot were various 20-30 years or so old guys on their ownsome, and every one of them had that laugh. It was like listening to loons talk back and forth to one another across a Minnesota lake.

Re: TV show chat and spoilers -- my version of that peeve is being with someone who is absolutely crazy about a show that I've not had or ever will have any interest in. I don't judge, no worries, because God knows I watch some silly stuff and hey, to each his/her own. But this is a 50-year-old woman who is not only seriously into Game of Thrones but talks about the characters as if they were people she actually knows. I honest to God didn't know who the gently caress she was talking about at first, and then realised that over the course of the few weeks I spent with her recently that she was referencing the various characters throughout our conversation. It's got to the point where she buys certain types of jewelery or whatever, and says, 'This is so totally what [random GoT character] would wear.'

She doesn't cosplay, thank gently caress, but honestly, I have enough time keeping track of the actual human beings she knows and talks about without 12,000 fictional characters entering into the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

A lot of parcel services here use what I guess you'd cal free-lance drivers/deliverers (especially around Christmas time).

One of them showed up yesterday, alerting me by half-pulling into the driveway and having music blasting out from his car. I could see him from the upstairs window, and then of course as I crossed the room downstairs -- he just stood in front of the door for a nanosecond, didn't ring the bell or knock, then shoved the 'sorry we missed you' slip through the letterbox. (We've been using the back door rather than the front at the moment, as we have a new kitten and don't want him to learn about the front door).

Mr Boods was in the garage, and heard the guy pull up, so he met him at the car; the guy was surprised as hell to see him, and grudgingly got the parcel out of the boot of his car.

The drivers for Hermes absolutely do not pay any heed to delivery instructions; we live in a semi-detached, and the wife (next door) for some reason has decided she hates the neighbours on both sides of her house. So Mr Boods has taken to requesting that parcels not be left with the neighbour and instructed them on where to place them if no answer at the door (he works from home, so office delivery doesn't work). So, yeah, huzzah to the Hermes driver who left a parcel with this woman, with our address on it, clearly marked DO NOT LEAVE WITH NEIGHBOUR.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Aug 9, 2017