Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The word "hipster." It has no meaning whatsoever anymore. If you like anything remotely uncommercial you're a hipster. If you like pop and aren't a teen girl you're a hipster. I had a friend call attendees of Lollapalooza, a festival that brings in 90,000 people every day and booked Metallica as a headliner this year, "stupid hipsters." Stop calling people that. Also nobody "only likes (blank) ironically."

Similarly, dismissing bands as (genre) for people who don't like (genre). God forbid someone who's not a purist enjoy something they wouldn't normally check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

artsy fartsy posted:

A limp handshake is one of my biggest peeves. Do these people not use forks? loving hell, I know you can do this. It's just so gross, like handing someone a wad of your hair. Seriously, imagine if someone handed you any other body part and was like "Here, hold this for a second while I go limp and stare you in the eyes." Not acceptable.

Imagine if someone handed you any other body part and expected you to shake it vigorously while also staring you in the eyes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

Content: The expression "I hate humans". Am I wrong, or is the always uttered by people who are the kind of people most everyone hates? Like, they hate people on a whole because they're bad at socializing.
A whole subsection of my college friends were like that, often acting like misanthropes while gathered in a group. The irony was lost on them.

One of them (who I love dearly, but God she could be annoying the first couple of years) was really fond of saying she "didn't give a gently caress" when in fact she gave a huge, negative gently caress about most things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Albums and songs that were uploaded to Spotify or Apple Music with obvious typos. This isn't loving Limewire. Who lets this happen?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People on Facebook who tag you in posts on your own wall or comments on your own post. I already know you're talking to me! I don't need two notifications about it! And I know you don't refer to me by my full name whenever you address me.

Also gently caress you if you like your own posts. Why is that even an option?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Maggie Fletcher posted:

To that end, people who tag you in stuff that is tangentially related to a hobby you have. I like skydiving, but I never get tagged in cool skydiving videos. I get tagged in the same wind tunnel video over and over, though (three times in two days by friends who all know each other, identical video from identical source), paragliding, BASE jumping, zip lining...everything BUT skydiving. I get that non-skydivers don't really "get" skydiving, and they just see "cool video of people doing things in the air" and decide I need to see it three times, but it's a little annoying. Then I get the "let's do this!" comments from people who SWEAR they are going to be the next BASE jumping or wing suiting superstar, but every time I invite them out for a tandem they chicken out.

I have a friend who is really big on this one diner in Akron (he might have even worked there). LeBron James took Amy Schumer, Bill Hader and Judd Apatow there, and people posted the story about it on his timeline 8 different times.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I've been acquiring a bunch of video game OSTs lately, and for every single one I Google the first result is a video over an hour long that appears to be every track back to back. :psyduck: I can't figure out how to explain my issue with it but I can't understand why anyone would do that over uploading the album as individual tracks.

E:VVV Yeah, probably not. :shrug: Seems like there would be easier ways than loading up an hour long flv though.

People who are Good at Uploading Albums will usually have a time stamp in the info section for every individual track.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People who say "I like everything" rarely listen to anything anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DavidAlltheTime posted:

People who write 'ops' instead of 'oops'.

You're already a dummy for whatever you're trying to write 'oops' about, and now look at you: double-dumb.

On that note, people that think "definitely" is spelled "defiantly." If you don't have dyslexia there is no excuse whatsoever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

grate deceiver posted:

This is a thing? I have never in my entire life heard of black toilets.

My parents' bathroom had a black toilet until a couple of years ago. It was like looking into a mysterious well. You could never tell if something was in there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Restaurants/etc with only one toilet in the mens washrooms. I suffer from not-quite-IBS at random times, and that mean that if Bad Things start to go down, I'm gonna have to sit there for a while, which means I'm hogging the toilet for anyone else.

I'm particularly cognizant of it, because I've regularly been the dude waiting for someone to get done, and it's unpleasant as hell.

Sup, fellow dude with GI problems. I have been through both sides of this too many times.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

Mine is over-enthusiastic laughers in general.
These people are weird. I did a sort of hybrid internship/class thing at a local newspaper and this one dude would just start cracking up at nothing. Like things that weren't even jokes or intended to be humorous. And he'd look at everyone expecting them to join in, sometimes saying "that's classic!"

Also went on a date with a girl who laughed at everything I said. I like to use my sense of humor, but that doesn't mean every sentence is a joke! In turn, she was painfully unfunny, and of course was taking comedy writing classes.

EDIT: speaking of jokes, I hate when people don't get an obvious joke and instead of owning up to it they say "jokes are supposed to be funny," as if bad jokes didn't exist. Don't blame your own mental fuckup or inability to distinguish sarcasm on the person making the joke.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Feb 12, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Goddamn Particle posted:

Public toilet seats should be made like those theater seats that lift up unless you're sitting on them.

This would just get poo poo all over the back of the toilet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

"A women"

How does this happen? I've never seen a singular man referred to as "a men," so how the gently caress does a singular woman get referred to as "a women" at all? Grammar is not that difficult :psypop:

See also: people who write plural words like they're contractions. How do you do this after fourth grade?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

On that note, I've had someone lean on his horn because I didn't move when the light turned green because there was a crowd of pedestrians crossing the street that I was going to turn to.

This happens every minute of every day in downtown Chicago. I got honked at and received a "gently caress YOU" for not turning left into a dozen people. The best part is it was a wide-open four-lane road and the guy wasn't turning left himself, but rather trying to get past me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

Other peeve: People who let their dogs poo poo on the sidewalk and then don't pick it up are obviously the loving worst, but people who pick up their dog's poo poo with a baggie, tie it, and then leave it in the same place deserve a special place in hell.
:psyduck: Who does this? Where is this a frequent problem?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

-My dad will put on this weirdly high and childish tone of voice when he's quoting me for a story, which he apparently does quite a lot. My voice is deeper than his.

That's hilarious.

quote:

-It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but all this reminded me of it: when people buy you shitloads of themed gifts because they hear you like it, regardless of the statement's truth. Recently that's been Doctor Who for me--I'm fine with that, because Doctor Who is fun and its aesthetics can be pretty classy, but gently caress, there's only so many TARDISes I can have in a place--but until recently it was sarcastic t-shirts. You know the type; black or earth-y colors, with slogans like "it's hard to show I care, since I don't". that's great for an Edgy But Not Too Edgy Teen, but I'm now twenty-four, and had so many of those given to me over the years that even when shedding as much of my wardrobe as possible I couldn't even get rid of all of them.
That's the worst.

Related to family members having a permanent image of you that you've shed: when I was a child I was very non-affectionate; totally averse to hugging unless it was my parents. To this day my extended family and my parents' friends think I'm mortified by the prospect of hugging them hello or goodbye. I'm 23, how do you people think I made it this far without ever showing basic human affection?

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Mar 1, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Re: online dating peeves, I've already touched on most of mine early in this thread I think, but I really hate the practice of using a picture of you and your friend(s) as your main photo. Especially when a woman uses a photo with someone who's clearly more eye-catching to draw people in. It's even worse when they use exclusively group photos and you have to figure out who the common denominator in each picture is. I get it, you have a social life, which is good. But I would also like to know what you look like more than what your friends (or family! Don't put your grandma in your Tinder pictures!) look like.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

Maybe one of you can educate me, it might put my mind at ease.
But I don't understand why so many people use "an" in front of "historic" instead of "a". It's not french, it's a hard H.

I don't go to the deli for 'an hoagie'

I'm not terrified of 'an hippopotamus'

I assume it's some kind of custom-and-usage type of situation, but I don't get it.

I was going to post the same thing!
Also how is the H not stressed? It's not like "honest" or "hour."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who when asked where they are from, instead of saying "I'm from san francisco" or "i'm from new york", they use the ~trendy~ vaguer term for the area, like "I'm from the Bay Area" or "I'm from the City", or the absolute worst "I'm from the West/East coast". It's even more annoying if you live around another bay (like Tampa Bay, for example) and they coopt this so you have to say "which one" all the time.

If you're from Michigan you can be a super rear end in a top hat and just point at your hand!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

People missing the entire point of a lawsuit 'win.'

In light of Erin Andrews, no less than ten people at work, both men and women, said they would gladly let themselves be filmed for four or five minutes of grainy video for 55 million dollars, they don't see what the big deal is, that lady never has to work again! Trying to explain just how violated you feel after being robbed or being filmed like that went over their heads. Because "but she gets 55 million, she never needs to work again, she should just disappear and live in luxury forever, that's what I'd do!"

Then again same people brag if they won the lottery, they'd quit work asap and never seem to figure out that money can dry up. Especially when you spend it like mad.

Just because she was awarded it doesn't mean she takes home 55 million bucks. She has to GET that money first. And then pay legal bills and everything else. So 55 million isn't a check the other side writes out in court and passes over to her as she heads for home.

How the gently caress can people not understand you can't get blood from a stone, and money actually doesn't solve everything like PTSD?

It's also weird that THIS is the case where massive winnings bother people. "Won't someone think of the pervy stalkers?!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bast Relief posted:

I don't even know who these sports guys are that I ran into recently and I really wanted to tell them that. Professional athletes seem pretty stupid with garbage-tier attitudes whenever I meet one so I have no idea why people worship them so much.
For the same reasons people worship any other kind of entertainer

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

There's a discussion going on in the STDH thread about standing/sitting in concerts but I thought this post was more appropriate here. I hate getting bitched at for not standing or just expressing a preference for sitting down during college football/basketball games. If it's like 100 degrees in direct sunlight with no shade in the student section, you aren't a "bad fan" for sitting down for a minute or two here and there. Even if you spend the extra money to sit in the alumni section with shade and actual seats instead of just bleachers you'll still get yelled at for sitting down in them unless you're 60+ years old.

I mean I get it, college sports stadiums are supposed to be really loud/energetic, but is it really that egregious to take a break for a few minutes? Particularly if your team is up by several touchdowns - why not save your voice and relax a little?

Alternatively, if you stand up during moments that call for it, some old fart always tells you to sit down.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

queserasera posted:

Everyone went apeshit over yesterday being Pi Day and hardly anyone cares it's the Ides of March today.

Dammit, I care.

Do people bring delicious dessert to work for the Ides of March?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

Sports team fans that argue about whether or not someone is "allowed" to be a fan of multiple teams. Case in point: I live in Nebraska and college sports here can get pretty crazy, to the point that fans of the UNL Cornhuskers will argue with fans of other college teams like the Creighton Blue Jays or UNO Mavericks about how they need to "pick a side" or they're not "real fans" if they don't support one specific team. It gets especially bad with the Husker fans, but since I'm not a college sports buff I just toss in their face that it's been almost 20 years since that poo poo team has won a national championship. gently caress y'all, you want to annoy me I'll spit truth and watch you flail helplessly and make excuses because you have nothing better to do with your life than cling to a college sports team and live vicariously through them, you losers.

This poo poo too, people need to suck it up and take what they can get until they can find what they want. If they don't want to try, it's their own drat fault - I've worked lovely retail jobs after being laid off and then found something better later. Doesn't pay well and may not be the greatest, but it's temporary, puts money in my pocket, and for some people could be a wake-up call to dealing with whiny/needy/entitled assholes like themselves.

Creighton and Omaha don't even have football teams to my knowledge (at least on the FBS level) so that's extra dumb. I assumed everyone in Nebraska rooted for the Huskers in the fall and then did their own thing for other sports.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think surviving a 13 and a 12 seed doesn't stop it from being a down year for Duke

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

I'm in a few classes with this kid who insists on calling every professor "Teacher". It drives me up the wall.

Oof. I hope that's a freshman making an adjustment. I spent my entire pre-college education at a school where we called teachers by first names, so I had to check myself all the time before addressing my profs. Then it became weird when I started having professors who preferred to be addressed by their first name.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rabbit Hill posted:

This weather is chapping my hide. What the gently caress season are we even in? It was 70 yesterday, and it's 50 and raining like a hurricane now, and it's supposed to turn to snow tomorrow morning, and then 70s again next week. A week or so ago, i checked the five-day forecast, and the highs were 10 degrees apart each consecutive day -- 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s.

It snowed in Chicago today. Tomorrow it's going to be in the 60s, drop back down to 30s on Monday, get up to the high 50s again by Wednesday and then drop back to the mid-40s. Why did I stay in the midwest?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The most famous fictional character with my name is a vigilante cab driver who is probably on the autism spectrum. I'm also named in part after a baseball player, and I hate baseball.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh since we're doing name chat, my name's "Aaron," which I thought was a reasonably simple name to spell. I've gotten so many people spelling it "Aron" like the Pokemon or "Erin" even though that's mostly a girl's name. A month or two ago, the cashier at Panera spelled it "Harin" because??? That's not even the worst one because a few weeks later, I went back to the same Panera and now my name is "Earn." :confused:

Went to Panera with my friend Ian. When they called his name they pronounced it so that it rhymed with "lion."

Maybe her only experience with the name was sports announcer Ian Eagle?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

My phone likes to let me know that listening to music at high volume might damage my ears. Sorry, Momorola

Mine does this when I'm just trying to watch a basketball game loudly enough to hear on the bus

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

Another pet peeve: people who ascend/descend the stairs and just stop directly in front of the stairs for no discernible reason. What goes on in these people's brains? :psyduck:
Had a guy do this at the top of an airport escalator yesterday. Thanks for forcing me and my mom to careen into you with luggage at a great height, you oblivious idiot!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The word "problematic" has reached total saturation. The worst is when it's used to describe people. I just saw someone on Facebook say regarding Ghost in the Shell, "I've lost all respect for Scarlett Johansson after this. She was problematic at first, but this really takes the cake."

No, Scarlett Johansson is not any more "problematic" than the rest of the human race. Her decisions might be, but that doesn't make her very existence so.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chicago's new law removing plastic bags from grocery stores and drug stores leads to me piling up reusable Walgreens bags because I often pop in there on the way home from work or forget to bring some from home. Just let me damage the environment once in a while, I take public transportation!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Two weeks ago, I got a call from a temp agency I applied to in 2012 asking me if I wanted to keep my name on the list and if I was still available for work. Not only did they never call me a single solitary time after I applied with them, but I've had a great job for almost three years now.

Needless to say, I told them to gently caress off and remove me from their list.

I sent an email to an alt weekly in September of 2014 asking if I could write about music for them on a freelance basis. I got an email back the following February saying "let me pass this along to our music editor." Then another month or so passed and I got one from the music guy saying to send him some of my clips. No thanks, dude! If you take half a year to respond to an inquiry, it doesn't exactly sound appealing to write for you!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Supposedly (in Chicago at least), many of those cameras caught people legally turning right on red or entering an intersection on a yellow. They're not a great tool for anything except revenue.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

Related, people who craft their entire personality around being aggressively quirky and nerdy are the worst. I'm not even sure how to describe it, but you know those people who buy a lot of Batman merchandise and say "May the Fourth be with you" or just outright say, "I'm a huge nerd!" just bug the crap out of me. Like, I know actual nerds. You're not a nerd because you watched an episode of Star Trek once and didn't want to actively die.

These people are why I'm in favor of more bullying at school, not less. I saw a Buzzfeed quiz yesterday that was "This Shockingly Accurate Harry Potter Quiz Will Determine Which Pair of Houses You Belong In." There are only four loving houses in the first place! And in the book they totally walked back on the sorting thing with "well, you wanted to go to Gryffindor more so I just put you in that one." Those kids would be better off with a loving Myers Briggs test. I can't even publicly admit to enjoying Harry Potter for fear of a bunch of recreational Quidditch players rambling at me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vic Boss posted:

So... So your solution is to have people bullied more. Ok.

My peeve's probably all the shitheads who think violence and torment make society better because fear and abuse create well-rounded individuals like in "the good ol' days".

It's a joke, you goony goon. I'm just saying I now understand why someone would want to shove dorks into a locker or give them a swirly.

Yes, all of my notions of bullying are from tv and movies.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 18:50 on May 4, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why would you assume the driver is expecting a short light unless they go through it regularly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Americans who try to insert Britishisms into their speech because they watch terrible BBC programming. Stop saying "bloody hell" all the goddamn time like an idiot.