Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
When people call computer or phone wallpapers “screen savers”. No. No they’re not. Screen savers used to be prominent and served a specific purpose. A static image is the opposite of a screen saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When you're using equipment at the gym that there's a bunch of (bench, squat rack, and elliptical are the common disaster areas for me) and someone comes and starts using the one RIGHT NEXT TO YOURS when there's plenty of empty setups for people to maintain a healthy gap. The squat racks are the worst because they're set up in a double line, and some people could happily go squat with a healthy bit of personal space but will for some reason pick to be directly in front of or behind you.

Only pick to be right next to someone if there's nowhere else to work out. It is not hard people! These are the rules!

This but with urinals. Doubly so if they start talking to me like we’re not both standing there peeing. I’m not a prude, but...it can wait until I’m all tucked away, can’t it?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Memento posted:

If a chain of supermarkets operates in several different tax zones, it would be more expensive for them to print out multiple price placards for each product. Like any good business, they save money by placing the onus on their customers to do the work of figuring out what things are going to cost for them, and just have the point of sale computer calculate the final price on checkout.

:capitalism:

I forget where it is in the country, but there is a department store somewhere in America that sits on the border of two different tax areas, each with different sales tax. Depending on which register you go to to pay you will have a different price for the same item. The technical term for this in regards to tax is “some dumb poo poo”.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
“*gasp* Why did she do that?!”

*me struggling to recap half a season of setup for a show my wife was only half watching*

“Who’s that guy?”

“We haven’t seen him before. I don’t know.”

“But you always know. Is he a bad guy?”

“He’s literally been on screen for 20 seconds and done nothing.”

“I’m looking up how this ends.”

I love my wife, but she is not a good show watching partner.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Some one, probably my downstairs neighbour, has filled one of my green bins, which are for garden waste only, with bedding, probably because the black bins were full until this friday, so I'm going to have to sort that out before I can do any gardening. All they've done is waste my time.

My father-in-law helped with a lot of remodeling of our house (which I am grateful for), but doesn’t live in a city with the multi garbage can thing. So every other month I’d see the garbage men dump our stuff, then stop and get out of the truck with a clipboard to write something down and it’s like “Oh good, I guess the utility bill will be a bit higher this month”.

And no, explaining the cans doesn’t work with him. I’ve been in the same career for a decade and he still has never internalized what my job is, no matter how many times I explain it.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Yeah, overweight cans or improper mixing (at least egregious enough that it’s noticeable when dumping from the can) result I an extra fine or surcharge. Not an end of the world scenario, but it’s so easily avoided.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
One of my neighbors has a big guard dog that will drop whatever it’s doing to bark ferociously at anyone anywhere near its gate. I recently started going on walks with my two year old son to get fresh air and exercise during the lockdown. About two weeks in the ferocious guard dog would run to the gate and just sit there to say hi while my son talked to it.

...I guess that’s not a pet peeve but I love when vicious dogs turn out to just be complete sweethearts and wanted to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Oh drat that's obnoxious

My wife's ultrasound where the sex was determined was smack-dab in the middle of the "no visitors and DEFINITELY no kids" stage and so me and my 3yo daughter had to squint at a phone screen to try to see the projection. It sucked so, so much joy out of the occasion.

My wife and I ended up going to one of those “4D Ultrasound” private places to do a gender reveal one day before her doctor’s appointment for the same thing because I wasn’t allowed into the latter.

Cost at the private business was the same as our copay, so completely worth it.