Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Because rolls can be different sizes, and when you compare one type to another you want to compare apples to apples, so you use weight.

They're not different enough to really matter. If you're counting calories being off by 5% or whatever isn't a huge deal(especially as it should even out over time). And if that were the reason then why do potato chips, and similar, often list it as per 18 chips or the like? It's just madness intended to obfuscate the values. Also strategically selected because they're allowed to round to varying degrees depending on the market so they pick a serving size that allows them to round in the most disingenuous way.

Ideally, in my opinion, they'd be required to list the nutritional info for the entire package for any packaged goods. I can estimate I ate 1/3 of the bag of chips reasonably enough, I'm not going to bother trying to measure out 18 "average sized", whatever that means, chips, measure their weight and measure the weight of what I ate all to figure it out. Or have to convert the frozen pizza from the 1/6th of a pizza they always list it as to the 1/8th that I cut it into.

Then again if I had my way we'd start using joules and retire the needlessly ambiguous calorie. And the gram would be the basic unit of mass instead of the kilogram cuz wtf. Unfortunately no one asked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I'm actually in Canada but no we don't do that here(or at least it isn't required, some packages do), I'm pretty sure the states are the same.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Should soda come in six packs or eight packs?

24 obviously. You want it to last more than a single sitting.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Tiggum posted:

How did you get to the building without knowing where it was?

You can know where it was and still not know which direction you're facing when you leave it. I've certainly had that, a few months after I moved to the city I currently live in I went down town to the store, got out and knew I was on a north/south street but couldn't figure out which direction was north without walking a few blocks until I saw one of the few cross streets I actually remembered the name of and knew that meant I'd walked north.

But my sense of direction is absolutely terrible, both cardinal and relative, and my pet peeve is that a handful of the intersections in town have a little compass showing north but they should put that design at every crosswalk imo.

Also every intersection should either be the "push the button" for a walk signal or the automated type. I don't care which but I hate the mixture. I walk 20 minutes through an automated section then reach the push the button section and stand around like an idiot for 5 minutes wondering why the signal hasn't changed before remembering to look to see if it's a button intersection.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
My walking pet peeve is people who walk in the dead centre of the footpath. Stick to a side! I don't care which side but if you're in the dead centre and I'm coming up behind you faster than you walk I'm forced to either get uncomfortably close to you to squeeze around, pop out into the street, or follow at an awkwardly slow pace close behind them until a reasonable opportunity to pass occurs. Also for people waiting on the bus and standing in the optimal position to block as much of the sidewalk as possible. At least they're usually looking around and often notice they're in the way and move.

Similarly for people who weave or zigzag around the place. Walk parallel to the sidewalk damnit.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Can duolingo gently caress off? I did a streak of 250 days before getting too annoyed at the multiple emails and notifications a day and pushed stop notifications so I don't have to see that stupid owl. Yet I get this passive aggressive message saying "I guess our notifications aren't working, we won't do it anymore, i guess T_T"...being annoyed is not going to make anyone want to learn a language.

Oh yeah I hate that poo poo. I found the streak thing and the reminders kinda nice for a while, had a good 150ish day streak going, then had a rough couple days and lost it and the idea of having lost a big streak was more of a discouragement from going back to it than the streak reminders ever were an encouragement in maintaining it.

And at any rate if they have to exist I'd much rather it try to coax me to do, say, 10 lessons a week than one lesson a day. It would be much more effective to have one or two longer session a week, for me, than to do the bare minimum to maintain my streak every single day.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Tiggum posted:

Why do people keep trying to defend fake meats by saying they taste exactly the same as lovely fast food? That is not making the point you think it is.

"lovely" fast food is tasty and convenient.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We're not "defending" it, we're attempting to explain the appeal and incredibly annoyed at hearing carnivores go off about how lovely it is. "We should just own it and get some good vegetarian food." It's not a new or insightful opinion, it's as played out as raving about bacon.

The fake meats are also good for appealing to us non-vegetarians to just reduce our meat intake which is good. I recognize and respect the environmental and ethical concerns of the meat industry but have not given up on meat because it tastes good, it's convenient, I know how to cook it, it's what I'm used to. But if I can get an impossible whopper or whatever for close to the same price as a beef one, and it tastes as good, then I will and that's just a bit less meat that needs to be grown and killed. If imitation meats continue to get better and more affordable I could easily see myself reducing my meat intake to almost zero. Or to none at all if they actually get cheaper than real meat eventually.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

FFT posted:

Related, I have absolutely taken all the steps to prevent Windows 10 from restarting on its own.

It still does it about once a week, even when I've got a notepad.exe open with unsaved text in it specifically to halt restarts.

gently caress yooooooouuuuuuuu

If this is a windows update thing there's a really easy way to break that.

Create a Ramdisk assigned to B:\
I use ImDisk but any ramdisk tool should work. I think a physical disk assigned to B:\ would as well but that'd be more annoying to turn off when you do want to update.

For some reason that completely breaks windows update and makes it really easy to manage your update schedule manually. Any time I want to update I just have to disable the ramdisk. And bam it suddenly works again.

I had no idea, for the longest time, why windows update had ceased working. It gave me different error codes each time and most of them went nowhere. I had taken to manually installing updates from the knowledgebase every so often. Eventually one of the error codes lead me to a decades old post about how having a drive assigned to B:\ breaks Windows update and sure enough that was it. I only used B:\ cuz I figured, well, physical disks seem to like starting at C and counting up from there, I still associate A:\ with floppies even though I'm never using them any more, never used B:\ for anything so might as well!

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Would you watch a hockey match where half of both teams can't skate and be like "drat this is so good, way better than pro hockey, they're just playing for love of the game!"

That does sound more entertaining than NHL. Back when Starcraft 2 was still new and I watched pro games every once in a while there'd be a bronze league tournament or the like and it was always way more fun than the pros. Unfortunately something like that is just unsustainable since if it actually got popular you'd end up with actual quality players trying to infiltrate the poo poo league and ruining it for everyone.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Tiggum posted:

Yes? Do you not? Doesn't everyone?

Certainly not everyone, I don't. But, I mean, I aint gunna judge. I can watch a TV show and a day later wouldn't be able to summarize it. I may never lose my phone/keys/wallet/etc but can barely remember what happened yesterday. All our brains work different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
A friend wanted a custom little program. It's just a button that she can click and it records when she clicked it to a log and if it goes more than 24hours without being clicked it flashes the taskbar. Easy enough. I made it for her, and it worked fine for a week or two then Microsoft Defender started deleting it and claiming it was some sort of machine learning trojan. WTF Microsoft. It's like 180 lines of code and does barely anything and I know squat about writing trojans or machine learning.

Running it on an online site that scans through many different malware scanners and gives a report shows three suspicious activities.
One is that it checks to see if a file exists. How the hell is that suspicious activity, scanning software! I have to check and see if the log file of when the button was clicked exists to choose whether to open it or create it!
Two is that I use C#'s Random class. Apparently just calling Random makes some malware scanners think you're making some crypto bullshit? I just wanted to pick a semi random colour to highlight a message with for fun.
Three is that apparently it calls Microsoft's servers on boot. That is suspicious and strange and I have no idea why it does that or how to stop it. I guess .net or C# stuff just does that by default or something. I cant find anything with google about it.

Anyway its definitely not a loving virus damnit. I filed a false positive report with MS but I doubt that will actually help and if it does I'm sure it'd take months and break again if my friend ever asks for another tweak or update.