Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Seventh Arrow posted:

Socks that look black at 7:00am in your bedroom are actually navy blue in the cold light of the office. Why did you deceive me, socks?

I guy at work once turned up in one black shoe and brown. Serves him right for having the same style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

So what is the difference between pine and spruce lumber?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

BioEnchanted posted:

Bob Mortimer tells the best stories due to coming up with really funny names for the major players ("Lovely lad, really big head, "Sniper's Dream" we called him").

Thanks for making me watch this again, too funny not to share.

For added context Bob Mortimer was a solicitor before turning to comedy, which is probably why he is so good at making up stories.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ey5MP4e2QOQ

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

As I understand he got the shouty high strung thing from the chef who trained him,

This guy https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Pierre_White

Who buy all accounts is an amazing chef (the youngest ever to get 3 michelin stars) and a sociopath.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

NASA principally use the metric system (apparently).

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Psychopathy is a personality disorder and nothing like schizophrenia.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The best tool for opening jars is something called a boa constrictor.

I of course just use my big manly man-hands.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Shibawanko posted:

people who say "POTUS". just call him the president

What is your view on SCOTUS?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

mostlygray posted:

My wife is a bio-chemist. She gets the same behavior from middle management. They just forward everything.

She asks, "On lots A-C we're receiving this data, however on lots D-E, something changed and we're not receiving the appropriate yield. Management switched vendors for the base and we need QA to investigate the reason for the yield change and if it's appropriate to continue. Unless you'd like a deviation written, which can be done, but it needs the permission from GSK to do so."

A week later, she gets an email back from her boss asking her why the yields are lower and why hasn't she fixed it. They literally just forwarded the email around until they were bored and sent it back to the person requesting the info and advice.

The UKs NHS is terrible for this. There are whole cohorts of people who job it is to push information around in circles.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When people type it as “Covid”. It’s an acronym. No caps is fine, whatever, you didn’t care enough to hit the shift key. All caps is correct. Just the first letter? You cared enough to capitalize it but not enough to do it right. Do you write “Radar”? Only if you’re talking about the MASH character.

It's weird that it is all capitalised when the cov stands for coronavirus.

Maybe it should be CovID.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Edit - I am incorrect Covi stands for coronavirus so it should be CoviD.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Dysgenesis posted:

Edit - I am incorrect Covi stands for coronavirus so it should be CoviD.

Edit - Append is not revise

(What the gently caress)

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I think we can all agree that acronyms, abbreviations and initialisms (whatever the gently caress they are) are a minefield and I will therefore be writing everything out in full from now on.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

For a long time time in the UK the football commentators when talking about players have said "he's only 21 year of age" as if without "years of age" we wouldn't know what they mean -
What like hes 21 ducks stacked in height?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Gort posted:

There's a guy at work who will honestly ask you a question, but after every little bit of your answer he'll say, "Uh-huh, yep, mm-hmm" and I get that he's trying to look attentive but it's really distracting and just comes off like he doesn't care what your answer is and just wants you to stop talking as fast as possible.

Like this?

https://youtu.be/kyAH_QwLFwI

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Grazing boxes $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

My 1s look like 1s and my 7s have a line through.

It's the only way to be sure.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm switching fields (veterinary to aviation) come monday and it feels kinda gross how everyone is congratulating me on "moving up."

It's the same me, same lack of a college degree, same pay, similarly bad hours, but one is "girly" but planes are "manly" so I'm better now. New job has health insurance, so congratulate me on that maybe.

If you can't take well meaning congratulations from friends without "feeling gross" you need to get your own neuroses in order.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

learnincurve posted:

Boomers who use the disabled toilets, instead of the men's room, as their own personal poo poo palace.

you stand there outside waiting for ages, but you don't want to say anything because it could be an actually disabled person, but nope here he is again, the boomer dude who stomps out past you aggressively challenging you to say anything with a big smirk on his face and yup, he's blocked the toilet and it stinks in there. Thanks fucker.

Maybe his disability is he can only produce massive turds?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Going to an imdb or wiki link and seeing it coloured in, that's my peak existential "what the gently caress am I doing with my life"

This happened to me just half an hour ago.

I was reading an article and saw a coloured in link, didn't recognise the name and them went "oh gently caress of course" when I clicked on it.

The two topics were seemingly unrelated. I was reading about Bond films today and the Russian military previously.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

lobsterminator posted:

They also improved the language by removing a bunch of unnecessary "u" letters from words.

And one syllable from Aluminum.

Much more efficient.

You'll prise my unnecessary letters from my cold dead hands.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Pork is a d tier meat. Pulled pork, belly and sausages are about the only ways to eat it.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Brawnfire posted:

I went to take a relaxing shower and there were TWO spiders in the bath. gently caress it.

They were almost certainly making baby spiders.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Dip Viscous posted:

people that bag their dog's poop and then hide it are worse than people that just ignore it

edit: the poophiders always say "it was so i could come back for it later!" they never can, because they flung it up into a tree

There's someone in my village who uses green bags and hangs them on tree and hedge branches right at head height.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I only recently discovered that there are 5 dirty Harry films.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Silver Falcon posted:

I hate the term "fur baby" to describe pets. It just feels so infantile!

No, your cat is not your fur baby. It's your cat. You have a cat. Stop calling it your fur baby!

My mother-in-law referred to her dogs like this and I pointed out to her that she has real babies, and I had married one.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Manager Hoyden posted:

You married her skin baby

This is how I will refer to her from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Brawnfire posted:

There's been this non-stop high-pitched whine in my neighborhood and I can't figure out where it is or what to do about it. It's like an emergency test signal is just on somewhere. I know it's been going since it was cold out, but now with the windows open I can hear it inside.

It sucks major rear end

The hum.