Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I used to work as a driving instructor in a town where twice a year, in the summer, they would have a "garage sale day" where everyone at once could set up tables on their front lawn and sell their worthless crap for 35¢, so for the entire day, both sides of every single street was lined with parked cars and dozens of people would walk in the middle of the street going from house to house like it's Halloween for spinsters. And man did they not give a poo poo if a car was trying to get somewhere or if their kids just ran off into the street from between two parked cars...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently moved to a small town and I'm being reacquainted with an old pet peeve of mine from my driving instructor days:

Speed limit signs that show your current speed. I don't mind them as a concept, but every single one of them is set up so that your speed shows up as a green number if it's under the limit and a red number if it's above, which means that, according to the sign, driving 5 kmph in a 30 zone is better than 31 kmph. I wouldn't mind it that much if that wasn't also the mindset of a LOT of people around here.

We also have a a train station along a major 4-lane road that splits the town in two, so a lot of people have to cross that road to get to the train station, and the best way the city's found to allow that was to draw ped crossings every 500m, which means that, legally, traffic should be held up by pedestrians every five minutes at rush hour, but instead it's just generally accepted that cars don't stop for peds at all, which is the worst kind of surprising when you just moved there and people get mad at you for crossing at a ped crossing...

Small towns get away with such lovely civil engineering...

Edit: Oh, I just remembered the WORST thing about those speed limit signs: when driving at precisely the speed limit is actually YELLOW, so driving at 2 kmph is "better" than driving the actual speed limit, which, by the way, is the point of speed limit. Back when I was teaching I'd get a lot of "there's no minimum! :smug:" smartass comments, but the point of a speed limit is to make everyone go the same speed, not "anywhere between 0 and the top speed".

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 17:48 on May 12, 2021

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

MightyJoe36 posted:

Blocked by my company network:

- gmail
- youtube
- facebook
- instagram
- linkedin
- Reddit

Not blocked by my company network:

- SA Forums

My friend runs background checks for a pretty big company and their web filter is extremely strict, so every single day he has to ask for a bunch of things to be whitelisted, which I think is funny because he'll spend hours on illegal dark web marketplaces, white supremacist forums, 8chan and whatever else, but he'll have to stop and write an e-mail to the IT department so they can whitelist VoteTeefani4TexasDistrict21.us.

Apparently SA was allowed by default, which is interesting.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
This is very specific, but as someone who works out, has learned a fair bit about working out and would gladly help others start working out, it's very frustrating when people, most often women, say they don't want to do resistance training because they don't want to look too muscular. I don't know precisely why it's so frustrating to me; I think it's because they make it seem like if you're not careful you're gonna wake up looking like Terry Crews after 3 full-body sessions while I'm here working out every day for years, counting macros, eating WAY too much for a human and still looking like a discount Tom Ellis.

Just to be clear, I'm 100% OK with people not doing resistance training or working out at all, it's just the excuse that bugs me, especially since I think it's sincere; people really think that they're going to achieve what takes people years of full-time commitment (and drugs) by mistake and go "Oh no! I've reached 8% body fat what am I gonna do my life is ruined!"

Edit:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol if you don’t want to look like Terry Crews

This is also a very good point

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Jul 8, 2021

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
21 midgets in a coat

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently sold a bunch of stuff off of Facebook marketplace and the number of people who ask "is this still available?" and then go silent...

I also had someone haggle me down 100$ since he was buying my dinner table, washer and dryer. He couldn't pick everything up at once so he put 50$ down and told me he'd pick them up the following Saturday. Then he backed out of buying the dryer. Then he changed it to Monday. Then he moved it to Wednesday. Then he backed out of buying the dinner table, and like an hour before he was supposed to show up he texts me saying he'll pick up the washer for 50$ (100$ off the asking price) and he couldn't understand why I didn't agree. I ended up having to refund his deposit.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Do you even graze, bro?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Oh, I just thought of a really dumb one!

I really hate when superheroes like Cyclops or Superman, miss with their eye lasers. How can you miss looking at something?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How often are you looking at something your eyes are directly pointed at?

Er... Most of the time?

Do you sometimes miss when you try to look at things?

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that Cyclops should just hit 100s all the time, but when I see him trying to laser a car and trailing just behind it, I can't help but think that it can't be that hard to, you know, look up?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Not an X Men expert but I think so because because he's basically always shooting lasers, he just "lifts" his visor to shoot.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Brawnfire posted:

White rice and chicken breast with steamed broccoli and minimum salt is my favorite meal you monster

It's also what all the action stars say they eat when they obviously take steroids but can't say they take steroids!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

mostlygray posted:

I prefer to neither have a number or my name. I'd rather that they just call out the order. It's different with large orders obviously, but, if I get a coffee, I don't need them to write my name on the coffee. I'm right here, it's just coffee, hand it to me.

If they did that at my local Tim's you'd get a stampede every time they'd call a double double, eh!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Rabbit Hill posted:

I have misophonia involving people's voices AND I spent my Christmas break binging on podcasts while crocheting, so now I've got a new pet peeve to report, y'all.

There's a certain way or rhythm of speaking that drives me bananas -- I can only describe it as "punchy." Like the speaker doesn't speak in a smooth even tone, but PUNCHes...OUT their SYLlab...les irrrrrREGularlyfromtheir....MOUTHs, usually in a nasal tone, too. A fuckton of podcasters and podcast guests talk like this and I can't stand it.

The most recent example I heard is this episode of the Wicked Words podcast -- compare the smooth, even voice of the host (first heard at 0:06) to the voice of the guest (skip to 2:00). (This isn't even close to the worst example.)

GO...to SPEECH..THERapy.

Semi-related, I really love Digital Foundry's youtube channel, but one of their presenter talks like he's inserting a comma every 4 words, it's really jarring and annoying.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I'm 99% sure that all of my cars turned on recirculation automatically when I turned the A/C on, or at least when I turned it up to the highest setting.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Streaming on the TV inevitably breaks down after an hour or two. Restart, it goes again for another hour or two. Same exact content on my loving laptop, it powers through for days. My partner's desktop will be playing Office reruns until the squid people discover our nuclear waste sites. I think the TVs hate us.
I have an LG C7 and its wifi is utter garbage. I really want to use the native apps because I want to use my TV remote and not my phone to browse, but once a week it'll fail to connect to my network when I turn it on. And sometimes it'll forget my network for no reason. And sometimes it'll forget my password when I try to reconnect. Literally everything else in the house works flawlessly over wifi, but the TV is having a tantrum.

It used to be even worse: by default, the TV goes to sleep when you turn it "off", so it can download patches and whatnot, and before I turned that function off the wifi would go out basically every time it went to sleep.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

DontMockMySmock posted:

car alarms. if your car has a car alarm, gently caress You

I 100% agree with you; I'm confident that car alarms are 0% effective at preventing theft and only go off because the owner sat on their fob, but I'm pretty sure every car I've had that's been made after 2004 had an alarm from the factory.

I hate most Smart House gadgets, but I think I hate doorbell cameras the most. I know a couple of people with one and they either literally never watch it or they watch it all the time and post pictures of their Amazon delivery on Facebook, but nothing useful was ever achieved with a doorbell camera.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I hate how, when you claim any kind of issue with DoorDash, they refund you everything but the tip you gave the driver because 99% of the time when I file a complaint it's about the driver (or DoorDash themselves) but I'm pretty sure it's the restaurant that gets the shaft.

Driver drops the food at the wrong place (complete with a photo of a door with the wrong address on it), restaurant doesn't get the money. Driver drops a bag with someone else's name on it? Restaurant doesn't get the money.

I once had a driver drop the food next to the side entrance of my building and not update the status on the app, so after a while I check on my phone, 5-10 minutes after the first ETA and it still says that the driver is on his way. I check every few minutes and he doesn't seem to get any closer. After 20 minutes I start a chat with DoorDash, they tell me it's delivered, I go check at the front door and nothing's there. After a few more minutes I go check the side entrance and find my food that's been sitting in the snow for half an hour. When I tell DoorDash, they go "Great! Anything else I can do for you?", and when I answer "Food that's not literally freezing?" they leave the chat. Had to e-mail DD to get a refund. Awful loving service from the driver and DD, but it's the restaurant that ends up not getting any money.

There's also the time when I ordered on DoorDash but from a restaurant with their own delivery service. There was obviously no tracking on the app, but it kept saying "Delivery should be there by 8pm" until at least 11pm. I called the restaurant (with the phone number provided by DoorDash) and they said they didn't even deal with DD. I could never manage to get a refund (DD blamed the restaurant, the restaurant said they never received the money or, well, anything since they don't deal with DD), I eventually had to issue a chargeback on my credit card. That restaurant still shows up on DD.

Even when I have a really small issue, DD always default to getting a full refund from the restaurant. If I'm missing a small fries from my combo, the default when you claim a missing item is to refund you the whole meal.

It feels especially bad because I'm a pretty good tipper (I knew a lot of people who used to deliver in the pre-Uber-Eats days, people who had to deliver in their own cars and pay their own gas and very probably not be covered by their insurance if they got in a crash that they got into because they got chewed out if they took more than 30 seconds to drive across town) and I REALLY don't like leaving a 25% tip to someone who threw the wrong bag out of their car window on a lawn a block away from my house.

(In the VERY unlikely event that the restaurant still gets paid and DD foots the bill, please disregard 75% of my post)

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

First, do you... do you think doordash workers don't use their own cars and pay their own poo poo? Doordash does not give you a car. What the hell do you think the gig economy is?

As a terminal restaurant worker until recently, I promise you no one gives a single poo poo about the restaurant getting paid, and probably hates you for being the kind of person that goes to the effort of reporting you're missing a small fry. If it's a local joint like the tiny sichuanese joint I worked at, they care about getting paid, but they'd cuss you out the minute you started trashing the cook or driver. They'd also mock the hell out of you for being that person as soon as the call ended. You'd become a back of house legend.

e: like i'm baffled by the "pre-uber eats days, real delivery drivers" comment. If anything the good ol' days was a company car or at least compensation for fuel and maintenance.

e2: reminded of when I quit my deli delivery job in New York. Some fucker calls like "yeah my dr pepper doesn't look full, blah blah blah i paid for a large dr pepper, did it spill, did the driver take a sip??" manager says I need to go back and take a full dr pepper to them, gently caress no I'm not navigating half the Bronx again for no tip so some rear end in a top hat gets enough dr pepper at 8pm on a friday

Dude... chill.

I know that Uber/DD/etc. drivers drive their own cars and I don't consider them any "lesser" or whatever than restaurant-specific drivers; I was only saying that when I was younger (before Uber existed) a lot of my friends were delivery drivers, therefore I learned that they often pay for their own car/gas/insurance therefore I tend to tip more than average. And I still do, which is part of what I'm complaining about : if you think it's unreasonable to be peeved that I tipped a driver 20$ to not deliver my food, I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye.

If I worded my previous post in a way that implied that I don't think DD drivers are "real" delivery people, I sincerely apologize.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Coward.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
That happens to me all the time with Plex, but at least there's a "Mark as Watched" button (that I have to press every time).

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
It's probably just me and my own YouTube history but I love that any video even semi-related to Jack and Jill always ends with a recommendation for RLM's video with the SCAM thumbnail.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Brawnfire posted:

Why does stuff bounce and roll like a loving cartoon when I drop it? Isn't it bad enough to drop an item without it doing a little bounce-hop up onto an edge to roll like a wheel halfway under the couch--even if it's not round? I just want to reach down and grab the thing I dropped but nooo.

And holy poo poo, multiply this by a thousand when I'm playing with my kids. Actual toys will immediately take the most absurd course of bouncing and rolling only to come to a rest against the baseboard behind the heaviest piece of furniture you own.
Physics are different when things are dropped. Drop a loose sheet of paper and that fucker will just slip under any desk or table leg nearby and get stuck, but try to do that poo poo intentionally and it's literally impossible.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

RFC2324 posted:

You see it alot in places built a long time ago(people were just generally shortsr) and in places where an old lady lived for 20+ years and had everything replaced to suit her as she shrank with age.

I lived in a place with waist level light switches because the person who lived there previously was apparently wheelchair bound

When I hang mirrors on walls I have to choose if I get to only see my shoes or if other people can only see their forehead.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Do they have some kind of jet engine toilet that mists and/or sprays whatever's in there every time they flush? Also, how do they know what she does first? So many questions about this person's roommate's girlfriend's bathroom habits!

My pet peeve: I've let my Kaspersky sub lapse for a variety of reasons and I've received at least 12 e-mails saying it's my last chance to save by renewing. It also seems like you can't unsubscribe from those e-mails because technically they're related to my billing so off to the spam folder they go.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Well, what Booty-ade described is exactly how we teach people to drive; if possible it will probably convince the tailgater to pass and if it's not possible it allows you to slow down more gradually instead of slamming on the brakes and getting rear-ended if anything happens in front of you.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

SubNat posted:

Ah yes, the good old classic 'I don't want to be X, so I'm absolutely going to X hard, because I don't actually understand what X is.'

I'm on dating apps at the moment and the phrase "I hate drama" is actually a huge red flag that means this person actually craves drama.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Tiggum posted:

The fact that it's no longer possible to make google search for a specific, exact thing any more. Putting stuff in quotation marks now just makes it "high priority" or something because it will still return pages that don't contain that string, or contain near-matches or similar words or phrases. And if you don't use quotation marks then you just get garbage. It's fine if what you're looking for is the answer to a common question or on a Wikipedia page or something, but if you want to actually search the web for a specific, hard-to-find thing, you can go gently caress yourself because it's not happening.

I'm taking a course in Private Investigation and one of my classes is on OSINT (i.e. Googling). My teacher is super lazy and he's recycling old homework from 2014 so not only is he expecting operators to work differently but half of the results we're supposed to find are offline now so the work is literally impossible to do.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

DontMockMySmock posted:

ooh, I hate this one so much. then why are you talking to me, fuckass? go to your mysterious fabled other place where you can allegedly get it cheaper and stop wasting my time :argh:

I did this once because I was trying to upgrade my CPU but keep the same motherboard (looking for a 9900k) and the only one I could find locally was asking for more than a new 11900k and a new motherboard. I think 12th gen was coming out and 11th gen was liquidating so I could get a passable MB and an 11900k for like 850$ CDN and the guy was asking for 900$ CDN for just a (new, presumably) 9900k.

That was a stupid upgrade anyway and it's a good thing I never managed to find a 9900k for a decent price but even today I wonder what he based his price on and why he wouldn't budge.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Tiggum posted:

Sure, if you don't care that it's mediocre at best.

I mean, can't the same be said about any food? If you want to go all out and make burgers you can bake your own brioche bread and grind your own meat and caramelize onions and make proper mayo but I wouldn't say burgers aren't simple. I don't think having to roughly chop a few veggies and grate cheese make tacos a particularly complicated dish.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Bad gym rules are a pet peeve of mine. I moved about a year ago and the only gym near me is the equivalent of a Planet Fitness (complete with lunk alarm!) and the rules seem to be less about proper gym etiquette and more about pushing away more serious lifters and keeping only the New Year's / beach body crowd.

Obviously the worst offender is the aforementioned lunk alarm which, for the uninitiated, is an alarm that goes off when someone drops a weight, which, for the uninitiated, is a cool and normal thing to do in most cases. The actual thing to avoid is letting a weight stack drop in a machine which a ton of people do and big surprise, there's a never ending rotation of broken machines, but apparently that's fine. Don't let a plate of loving raw iron fall on the padded floor though, that's bad!

Mandatory towels also seem arbitrary. I think that it's meant to remind people to wipe their machines after use but every gym that I've been to in the last 20 years have had spray bottles with disinfectant and wipes. The problem is that mandatory towels make people believe that vaguely waving their sweat drenched towel close to their bench is sufficient which it has never been but especially not since 2020.

I've also always been a bit puzzled by the "Absolutely no personal trainer" rule. Every gym I've been to has had that rule, even those that didn't offer trainers or programs. Luckily I've never seen it enforced but it seems really weird to me.

Finally, not a rule but a trend I've noticed in cheaper gyms: they never have enough 45s but they have a million 35s, which is a plate that I had never seen before going to Planet Fitness. It's not a huge deal but it kinda fits with the idea of driving away more serious lifters who will always run out of 45s (because of bros leg pressing 900 lbs with no ROM) and aren't used to counting with 35s.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Mister Speaker posted:

I think gym rules are a bit weird to get peeved about but some of that is deffo a bit overbearing. I'm lucky enough to have space for a home gym and 500lbs of freeweights, I never have to worry about gym etiquette or the various meat heads you meet in them.
I think the main reason it annoys me so much is that the rules are basically made to annoy me into choosing another gym (which I can't) and to cater to a clientele that, I'm a bit ashamed to admit, also annoys me. I also feel like these rules encourage a lot of bad gym habits like never reaching failure, never overloading, never using free weights, etc. I also used to have my home gym so, yeah, it's a bit infuriating to go back to someone else's rules.

Honestly I kinda know I'm in the wrong and it feels like complaining that there's no deadlifting platform at Curves (Does Curves still exist?) but I don't really have a choice of gym at the moment so I decided to yell at the Internet for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Mu Zeta posted:

Gyms are awful. Humans weren't designed to stay in an office all day to push papers around and then go to another building to lift stuff while being stationary. You have permission to go the gym if it's snowing or raining, otherwise go outside.

I guess I get where you're coming from but (obviously) I disagree. You're kinda right if you're strictly speaking about cardiovascular health in the sense that you don't need a gym membership to do physical activity in general but gyms have more advantages than "a roof".

Even if you stick with the bare essentials, yes, you can run outside for free, but if you take my own situation as an example; I can't run for more than 5 minutes before hitting a stroad, it's below freezing for 4 months out of the year and it's raining for about a third of the rest and even under the best of conditions it's not particularly pleasant to run in a city. Running inside on a treadmill allows you to run under the same conditions every day of the year, you don't have to dodge cars or wait at traffic lights and the terrain is as even as you want it to be. Bonus: you can watch TV as you run and if you get unexpectedly tired or injured you can stop anytime and be 30 seconds away from your car, which are great incentives for people who want to start being more active.

Gym equipment can also be great at targeting specific movements or muscles, so if you're trying to regain function after an injury or overcoming a particular weakness, machines can be great at that.

Then there's the fact that weightlifting is a sport (actually, multiple sports!) by itself. "Going outside" isn't much help if you want to get better at the snatch or stronger at the bench press.

Finally, I don't know how much of an elephant in the room it is, but a lot of people like the effect that weightlifting has on their appearance. As vain as you might think it is, it's a great motivator for a lot of people. I also believe that, next to dietary changes, body building is the best way to lose body fat / retain muscle mass. In fact, telling someone who's overweight and trying to lose weight to just "go outside" can be pretty bad advice.

I hope this doesn't come off as aggressive, it's just that your comment triggered memories from the 6 months in 2018 when "functional training" was a fad and anything that wasn't 100% translatable into a daily task was seen as an absolute waste of time.

I also want to make it clear that I don't think everybody should do resistance training. I do think it's underrated in some ways, especially RE: body recomposition, but I know that it's not for everyone. However, it's a perfectly legit form of physical activity.

Just don't go to Planet Fitness.