Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

House Majority Leader McCarthy is making the Sunday Morning Show rounds endorsing the idea of eliminating the legislative filibuster

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/house-majority-leader-endorses-nuclear-option-n315106

The Senate GOP spent 8 years filibustering everything, now as soon as they have the Senate again there is the push to strip that power so the Dems can't do the same. Raise your hand if you didn't see that coming.

This is a good thing though, because it doesn't change anything while Obama's in office and if the GOP goes full nuclear and they lose the senate in 2016 then all pressure goes back to the House unless the Democrats manage to throw away what should be a fairly solid shot at the presidency. If the Senate was full nuclear when Obama came in to office they might've gotten some more noteworthy poo poo done before the dems lost the House for the next 20 or so years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

SCOTUS denied very to a case out of Maryland where a suspect was convicted on DNA evidence, with the DNA being collected by swabbing the arm rests of a chair the suspect was sitting in rather that the suspect submitting to a test. The appellate court had ruled this was acceptable so that ruling stands - the state can passively gather and indefinitely retain DNA records

Fairly ominous in the big picture.

If you've been arrested I don't think you can lawfully refuse to give a DNA sample so this ruling just seems to suggest they can get the same through an available means without having to swab you.

If the guy wasn't arrested yet and/or otherwise did not have to comply and give a DNA sample if requested then yeah it's kinda hosed up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Admittedly, most people would argue that handing a man with severe PTSD and paranoia a loaded gun, taking him to a shooting range, and standing in front of him with your back turned is effectively suicidal.

Chris Kyle was also the kind of egotistical rear end in a top hat who thought himself invincible so why would he see the risk in giving loaded guns to someone who he probably felt he could take down in a heartbeat because he's a badass and the other guy's some broken dude he's trying to help.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

So Kerry made some news recently by publicly warning Bibi about disclosing details of the Iranian deal in his speech; I was watching Burnett on CNN interview a Israeli official about whether or not Bibi would use the details in his speech as way to derail the talks and the official all but said he would.

If he does this I hope Obama expels him and the Israeli ambassador from the country, or the next time a vote to condemn Israel comes up in the UN Obama has the US delegate just happen to not be there to veto it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can't think of anything either. It's unprecedented to see a foreign leader speaking before Congress without the approval of the President.

I'm still not sure why Obama didn't just say "gently caress it, you aren't speaking to the UN so you don't have to be let in. Visa denied now gently caress off back to Nazi Israel." Though letting him come in and only hurt himself and the GOP is fine as well I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

richardfun posted:

Snowden is probably too visible to kill or jail, even for Putin, but his life becoming a living hell could take many different forms.

Snowden's death wouldn't get more than a passing mention in US news and some stations probably wouldn't mention it at all. "Whistle-blower hiding in Russia dies in car crash" isn't something people will care about for more than a minute.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Cross-posting from the SCOTUS thread, court analysts see SCOTUS having 5 votes to strike down redistricting commissions.

Gerrymandering for everybody!

Am I misunderstanding this case or would setups like California be untouched by the ruling unless 5 justices want to be broad assholes?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mineaiki posted:

The fact that US intelligence doesn't consider itself subject to our democracy is bad, but honestly there's a built-in solution to this, which is to cease funding the NSA, CIA, FBI, etc. Yes that's insane and it will never happen, but it is a power Congressmen have, and a card they can threaten to play. They can also decrease funding of these organizations until they can no longer afford to spy on every single American citizen.

So yeah, not really interested in listening to Congressmen whining about a problem they have full control over.

I'm sure that nothing bad will suddenly happen to you if you're in congress and move to cut funding to any of those groups and might actually succeed.

hobbesmaster posted:

The F-35 is bad but thats just harsh.

A world where a quadriplegic F-35 can kill a healthy and strong A-10? :ohdear:

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

loving casuals not willing to surgically graft neurological sensors to their bodies for ultimate immersion

If you don't think there's people out there willing to go full Borg to get some Matrix/SAO-grade VR you're crazy. Not as crazy as those people, but still pretty crazy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lemming posted:

So what is the end result of this report going to be? Ferguson saying "oops I'm sorry this happened to you" and then nothing?

Ideally it's just the feds hauling off most of the city and police to some fedmax or a gas chamber, but realistically yeah don't expect much in the long term because even dissolving the PD isn't going to come close to fixing the root issue. Maybe if the Feds seize the entire greater metropolitan area and just clean house completely and start charging people under RICO or whatever they can for what was basically a city-wide shakedown nothing's going to get fixed.

The DoJ needs the authority to issue employment bans to LEOs. IE: Most of Ferguson would receive temporary bans with the masterminds of this horrible poo poo being barred from any sort of law enforcement work for life. Including any elected positions like Sheriff.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Obama is watching from the White House ready to let the nukes fly. You can't sled when everything is nuclear helfire.

The survivors can go sledding even longer thanks to the nuclear winter. :science:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

richardfun posted:

For a second there, I thought those were cops.

I did too until I realized the kids were white. :smith:

dreffen posted:

Experiencing the culture of course.

Probably much in the same way Rush Limbaugh was experiencing the culture in the Dominican Republic

I really want to see Rush's sex tourism get revealed with hard evidence(:gonk:) just to watch how fast he spins it as a liberal op to try and discredit him and undermine conservatism.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Good god that photo of him looks like he's just trying to keep all the food for himself. :stare:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Slaan posted:

Why does anyone agree to be the President of a National Frat organization? It seems like you'd be in damage control mode from this kind of poo poo constantly.

Easy money and a metric fuckload of connections you make.

Farking Bastage posted:

Why don't they just stop beating around the bush at this point and start just calling him a friend of the family?

Rick Santorum already did.

Shageletic posted:

This article is a couple of weeks old, but the hypcrosy, its just too strong
State governors tell cities to govern themselves, but not too much

At least the broadband bullshit is getting killed by the FCC, though we can expect to see some amazingly hypocritcal court cases as state governments fight the FCC on that at the behest of telecomms.

Majorian posted:

Plant evidence of him being involved in a terrorist plot and have him arrested. Same thing with his VP candidate.

He's a Bush so you wouldn't have to plant anything.
Horrible pun not intended

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm guessing if the Iran bill passes with veto-proof majority that it would be seen as a huge political defeat for Obama?

Isn't the executive's authority over diplomatic matters something that's enshrined in the Constitution? If so then there's still the question of whether such a bill would even be legally binding. If Congress passed a veto-proof bill that stated "Congress shall have final say on all military matters" it'd get shot down because it'd be attempting to usurp the POTUS's role as CiC of the armed forces.

The Dems are stupid enough to try and hamstring Obama and themselves in 2016 for Israel, though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

This thread's like a goddamn WWE match. Fishmech tags out and MIGF jumps in to the squared circle ready to let fly with his stupid bullshit. Will we see Amergin hit someone with a chair while the ref's back is turned? STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Judge found to be involved in massive, widespread corruption? Better just let him resign from that bench but keep his other jobs. Charge him with a crime? Don't be absurd.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

I really doubt they will expell anyone, for one kicking them all off campus is already a highly visible punishment, secondly it opens them to a free speech lawsuit.

No it doesn't. If they sued over free speech they'd lose and they'd lose bad. Universities have rules students have to agree to in order to go to said school and something like this video's content would violate pretty much any University's rules. Any expulsion decision is going to be given a look by the University's legal team and if they give it a thumbs up it's because they see no realistic chance of the students suing successfully. If the University wants these kids gone they will be gone and they sure as hell aren't going to have the money to try and fight OU in court.

Any agreement students have for a University's code of conduct will kneecap First Amendment claims because expulsion isn't a criminal punishment and you have no intrinsic right to go to this school or that one. It'd be a very uphill battle for these kids and that's if they had the money to fight expulsion in the first place. If these kids are smart they're currently working to withdraw so they can apply to another school rather than having to risk applying to another school while explaining why OU expelled them. If they try to stay on OU and go to class they're going to get such toxic treatment from other students it'll make their lives hell.

Mitt Romney posted:

Accusing a US army vet of treason wouldn't work well for Obama.

He just needs to work his way up to it. His warmup could be having Allen West charged with war crimes and sent to a windowless cell in a supermax for the next 20 years.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

They're going to win too because the SCOTUS is all about corporate personhood. You guys should probably just brace yourselves for the McD win unless a conservative justice mercifully dies in the next year or two.

Or you could have faith that the majority will side with past decisions and not just side with big businesses. :laugh:

PostNouveau posted:

The Arkansas Time posted a huge investigative piece getting to the bottom of that hosed up adoption story where a state rep "rehomed" his adopted daughters to a molester.

It answers a lot of the questions people had:

Was there some hosed up religious angle? You better believe it.

Did the state rep use his influence to get the adoption? gently caress yes he did.

Why did he send them to an employee he fired? The timeline of the original reporting has been cleared up. The molester worked for the state rep when the girls where "rehomed" to him, and they were moved shortly after he was fired.

Is there even a remote chance this shitstain and his wife will face any meaningful charges? :smith:

Joementum posted:

This brilliant plan hit a bit of a snag yesterday when Democrats learned that Republicans had snuck the Hyde Amendment language into the bill at the last moment in committee without anyone on the Democrats' staff noticing it.

To be fair if I were ever in congress I'd do this all the loving time. Massive defense bill nobody's going to read and has to pass? Hold on while I sneak in some language empowering the FCC over all things internet-related.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Christ I just don't understand how this is supposed to work. Like what class of corporation do you have to be to claim your company is a "person" and you should be protected under the 14th Amendment?

The most important type: One that can donate large amounts of money to political campaigns.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

He wouldn't go anywhere near lettuce in the first place.

Pervis posted:

The South shall rise again. We can expect more of this type of stuff, until they push so far that even the current SCOTUS rules it unconstitutional.

You're insane if you think there's 5 justices willing to strike down any of the poo poo the GOP is doing to hold on to their power.

zoux posted:

OU's football team (aka pretty much the most important institution at the university) released this statement.

I'm so conflicted....

SAE's so hosed. My only regret is that it's a single frat and not the entire greek system getting the :commissar: treatment.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

It's Deckard's gun from Blade Runner which was cobbled together from a cut down rifle among other things. It also shows up in Fallout: New Vegas as That Gun and shoots 5.56mm AP ammo like a champ.

edit: Also go to Novac to get it if you have the game and haven't already.

That gun is in every Fallout game. When you make it in Fallout 1 it's usually pretty amazing unless you're the kind of guy who puts all his points in to stealing so you can immediately grab some miniguns from a BoS patrol.

zoux posted:

Well Republicans sure overwhelmingly hate the federal government.

Oh wait no they don't.

Yes they do? 67% of Republicans don't like the government. Having over 1/3 of Republicans hold frothing hatred of the government would still be significant unless the rest all liked it, however less than 1/5 Republicans like the government. The only thing of note there is how many Republicans/Tea Partiers seem to consider themselves independents.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Aren't landowner voting laws illegal on a federal level and something that would get shot down if Roberts wasn't dead set on killing the VRA and anything related to it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

evilweasel posted:

lawl at putting David Patreaeus in there considering what he's pleading guilty to soon.

He's getting off with a joke of a charge when he was caught out lying to the FBI and a normal person would be getting crucified because the odds of successfully defending against most of the charges are next to zero unless the evidence can get thrown out.

Or did I miss the update where his plea deal is being rejected and Obama wants him charged to the fullest extent and then put in a cell next to Manning's?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I don't think this president is going to round up people based on their race." ~ Rand Paul.

That sound you hear is Rand Paul's potential presidential campaign imploding.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^^ Last trial I was a juror on we found a guy guilty of murder and attempted murder in less than 4 hours. The idea that the chalk sidewalk jury took 4 hours to decide means they spent a lot of time relaxing, or they had some spiteful fucker they had to talk down.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Looked it up and the case went to a jury trial and the dude was acquitted after four hours of deliberation lol

"A judge has barred his attorney from mentioning freedom of speech during trial."

So was any legal reason ever given for this or was the judge just a massive shithead? Like what kind of valid reason could a judge have to say that you argue your chalk writing on a sidewalk was (political) free speech?

e: I hope to god this dude is suing the gently caress out of BoA or at least Freeman.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 14, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

So the insanity has been at 11 for the past 6 years, but lets take it up even further. People are obviously familiar with Benjamin Netenyahu's speech to congress, that it was a campaign move more than anything else. You are probably familiar with the fact that it blew up in his face, and that Likud is now down in th epolls (though given the issues of coalition building, Likud could lose and Bibi remain PM, but that's neither here nor there). You might have caught the rather upset reaction from Likud on learning they were falling fast on the eve of th eelection, and started claiming there is global interference to destroy the Jewish State (by causing Bibi to lose, which apparently translates to the bombs start falling on Tel Aviv in 5 minutes)

Republicans have heard all this, and they know who to blame: Barack Obama. Which is why they are looking to launching an investigation into the Obama administration's attempt to oust Netenyahu, destroy Israel, and thus destroy America

Charitably, this is some "just asking questions" about "will America respond" from Israel Hayom and Fox to boost another conservative party and politician that shares their views. More likely, this is the new hit of the FWD:Fwd:fwd: crowd and these hearings will actually be a thing.

Probably the latter, because I've been taking it easy on my liver lately

I almost wish it were true.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The CIA says he has the flu and I guess he's neurotic and insecure enough to think that the world knowing that is a weakness.

One of the major pillars of Putin's cult of personality is that he's a MANLY MAN YEAH gently caress YOU SISSY and showing up to events sick would damage that image he's been cultivating.

The Stalin wannabe getting overthrown in a coup due to loving Russia's economy via the Ukraine military activity(or for any other reason) would be even more amazing. Try to built yourself up like Stalin, get purged like the Tzar. :commissar:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Job Truniht posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with her figure of speech? I thought she would at least be readable if it was spelled out. I was wrong.

It's a mix of being folksy to ham it up to idiot tea baggers and her severe brain damage.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

I think wishing death on someone is wrong, so I hope O'Keefe falls down a flight of steps, enters a coma, and when he comes out of it realizes what a tremendous loving rear end in a top hat he is and spends the rest of his life working to help feed poor families worldwide.

What a vile human being.

I don't think wishing death is wrong. I hope O'Keefe dies an extremely graphic, painful, and slow death. I hope it's caught on film and is something entirely of his own doing like getting electrocuted while trying to bug another senator's office.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

Didn't Mt. Dew and Doritos dew something to this effect recently?

I think Netflix, Crunchyroll, and maybe Hulu all do this too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

It's really easy to forget that Top Gear is an entertainment and technology porn show first and a factual and serious review show second.

And then Clarkson went and got fired for punching a producer.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

Here's the background on the Norquist / NRA imbroglio. Wayne is in a bind because the NRA is essentially a Tea Party group now, so he has to pay lip service to Gaffney's racist idiocy, but wants to maintain the veneer of respectability that Grover gives him.

I guess he could solve that problem by reverting his organization to a trade group instead of an arm of movement conservatism, but :lol: Wayne's never going back.

A fight with the NRA on one side and Norquist on the other is wonderful. I hope they go scorched earth on each other but the reality is the NRA will probably find the claims baseless and that some Obama liberal gun hater tricked Gaffney or something. Even just seeing Norquist and his stupid group/pledge get destroyed would be a thing of beauty.

Everblight posted:

Pictured: The modern GOP

Does this mean that the Tea Party and its brothers, the Libertarian Party and the Constitutional Party, are going to imprison the GOP and take over?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

The one thing McDonalds has over competitors is they have decent fries by comparison.

Except places that have waffle or curly fries. In which case they win.

McDonalds fries are better than Burger King or Wendy's fries? What bizzaro world do you come from? McDonalds fries are almost always dry and/or oversalted thin bland sticks.

Every child should have to sit and watch politicians kill their dreams at least once.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

What the gently caress is he even doing.

Serving the country he represents.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

zoux posted:

If Donald Trump cared about what people think about him he wouldn't have that haircut.

He cares a lot about his image though. If he didn't he'd probably just shave his head since his thin, patchy hair looks awful despite the attempts he makes to look normal.

FAUXTON posted:

That doesn't even make sense, trump doesn't build anything other than careers for law students specializing in bankruptcy law.

He also builds hotels that fire him and Casinos that hemorrhage money.

I'm honestly impressed by how consistently he's able to con people out of their money. It's pretty amazing.

That woman's almost certainly going to win the appeal process though , and currently is? The judge in the case found the prosecutor's argument to be stupid as hell and unless the law explicitly states something that along the lines of "crimes committed by someone legally allowed to be present don't apply" it'll take some hosed up reasoning to side with the prosecution.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm sure this is obvious and I've just never known it, but why is the first half of that amendment ignored by everyone? Has it always been that way?

There's plenty of (white/christian supremacy) militias in the US.

JT Jag posted:

The amendment is honestly awkwardly worded. While the intent of the founders was likely that the right to bear arms specifically for the sake of participating in a well-regulated militia shall not be infringed (the implication being that if you are not part of a well-regulated militia, you have no right to bear arms), it can be read in other ways.

Given how important hunting was for a lot of colonials for survival you aren't going to find many historians agreeing with your interpretation that if you weren't part of a militia you didn't get to keep guns. The most logical way to put the 2nd Amendment to practice would be for the US to do what Switzerland and others do. At 18 you go through basic militia(ry) training and you're issued a weapon (unless ruled ineligible due to criminal/mental/physical issues). Said weapon is your personal responsibility to keep in working order and practice with at the range periodically.

I bet the NRA would poo poo blood over this though, even though the idea of tens of millions of new gun owners with needs to practice at a range a few times a year would crush gun makers under all that money the fact remains that millions of minorities would be given a gun AND training and that's clearly Obama's goal for the destruction of (white christian) america.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

The best thing about it is that adult swim just put it on with their infomercials at like 3am. Imagine being up at 3am (watching adult swim so you better be high as gently caress) and that comes on. loving reality hacking right there.

I thought the Mike Tyson mysteries show was some kind of dumb gimmick but it's really Mike Tyson (and Norm MacDonald as a talking pigeon?) and it's a everything you'd expect of a Mike Tyson Scooby-Doo clone that's on at 1am on CN. :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Abilifier posted:

Does that mean it's good?

Also I've been watching some of the other Adult Swim infomercials and ... wow. I haven't watched cartoon network for years but it's good to see they're still as hosed up as always.

Not as good as stuff like Robot Chicken or ATHF but still far better Tim and Eric.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tim and Eric's shows are (or were) cheap as poo poo to produce which helps them. Anyone who enjoyed Tom Goes To the Mayor should be forcibly committed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Paul Ryan Urges State Lawmakers Not to Set Up Health-Insurance Exchanges

http://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-ryan-urges-state-lawmakers-not-to-set-up-health-insurance-exchanges-1426874741

"Hey we know it will get real bad but above all else you must not alleviate the pain because, well because. Don't worry we promise to have a plan to have a bill after the ruling is due. Having a plan for health care reform is so important to me I never bothered to come up with one when I wrote the budget in past years, and so important Rep Price, our guy who is writing our bill, couldn't get it on the desk of Rep Price, the guy who wrote our budget! We've said we have a replacement bill for 50 months and counting so far, but believe us, don't adopt a state exchange, we have a fix!"

Can someone go back in time and take away the government money his family got so he can die of exposure in the streets instead? Please? Every media interview where he says this poo poo needs to immediately follow with him being asked about his government handouts he got growing up and require him to explain why he's not a massive piece of poo poo hypocrite.

Sir Tonk posted:

Man I wish they would make this a bigger issue for the election next year. Far too many people I know have been abused by companies trying to avoid paying them for the hours they work and they're all too scared to complain to the DoL.

I would love to see what happens in the gaming industry if overtime laws suddenly start applying to programmers and developers with their regular 50+ hour work weeks and 80-100 hour weeks during crunch time. Though a $1090/week threshold won't cover a lot of people on the west coast.

Moxie posted:

Honestly I wish he could. He's pretty bleh but I have no expectation that a better candidate will appear. =(

Term limits should be abolished and not just because Bill Clinton would've utterly destroyed Bush jr in the 2000 election (which would've been pretty amazing nonetheless).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

Supreme Court Justice Barack Hussein Obama

...would be dead within a week because Michele would murder him since, IIRC, she hates being in DC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I think Patton was just one of the batshit insane people who read classical literature and thought that dying on the battlefield was the only honorable way to die. I remember that he also believed he was reincarnated from several generations of warriors. The guy really loving loved war.

A former coworker of mine was pretty dead set in the believe he was one of the 300 Spartans in an earlier life. It was creepy as gently caress (combat capabilities must not carry over in to your next life).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

SCOTUS has refused to hear the Wisconsin voter suppression case

Chief Justice Roberts unavailable for comment due to furiously masturbating as the VRA is further eroded away.

• Locked thread