Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr. Pool posted:

Is there any way this wouldn't be terrible? Say you overturned Citizen's United and the related money = speech, corporations = people legislation and decisions right before you booted up Democracy.net

I guess corporations would just double down on media control?

It's impossible to overturn corporations being legal people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rexicon1 posted:

I can't believe Snowden went over there thinking that's what it was gonna be like.

Well he also thought Hong Kong was a libertarian paradise of free speech, so he wasn't exactly geopolitically aware in general.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

It saddens me whenever I hear something described as "exposed only because of Snowden" that I knew about for years. I'm not that well connected, I shouldn't be more informed than the media reporting on national security. Uh, AT&T's secret room, hello?

I remember back when Snowden leaked poo poo how many people on this forum swore his leaks wouldn't be forgotten the way say the AT&T room revelation or any of the other spying leaks of the past decades have been forgotten by the general populace. That was good for a laugh.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I remember Snowden doesn't qualify for "whistleblower" protections because he was working for a private contractor, not directly for the federal government. And "private contractor" exceptions to employee protection laws are bullshit that needs to be abolished across the board.

The proper remedy for Snowden would be a presidential pardon but that will never happen. He's smart to stay foreign and coming back would be a mistake. The only reason he was ever able to tell his side of the story is that he skedaddled.

Most people's understanding of "whistleblower protection" seems to be limited to the fact that the Pentagon Papers dudes didn't end up in jail (neglecting that most of them were in hiding for decades) and half-remembering that one movie about the guy who told on the tobacco industry.

Zeitgueist posted:

I don't really care about "I knew that" poo poo, it's basically "I listened to leaks before they were cool" :smuggo:

It got it more in the public eye, that's a good thing

And then it swiftly left the public eye. Just like what happened every single time in the past that major US spying leaks came out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeitgueist posted:

So? It stuck around longer

No, it really didn't. Being known by the public for about 18 months to 2 years is pretty par for the course.

It's not his fault really, no matter how much you have it can only keep you going for so long.

Zeitgueist posted:

chelsea manning and snowden are both heroes and should be appreciated for what they did

Last I checked, most people don't even remember what manning leaked these days other than "something about Iraq".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And the people who exposed COINTELPRO only came out of hiding like six months ago and would have gone to jail for decades if they'd been caught.

I do wonder if they would have been able to catch Snowden if he hadn't run. It seems like it was the fact that he ran that tipped them off he was the leaker.

They probably would have been able to catch him eventually, especialyl once all the stuff was out, but I suspect he would have been able to gracefully quit, get a job somewhere else, and then move to somewhere not Russia or Hong Kong with plenty of time rather than make a mad dash to the airport.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Cross-posting from the SCOTUS thread, court analysts see SCOTUS having 5 votes to strike down redistricting commissions.

Gerrymandering for everybody!

What makes you think redistricting committees in general prevent gerrymandering? A whole bunch of states have them and they just reinforce gerrymandering, even.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

James Garfield posted:

California is notoriously gerrymandered.
edit: oops I didn't notice it was :fishmech:

California is highly unusual in having a redistricting commission that actually did its job. In most other cases, they just get used as rubber stamps to maintain gerrymandering.

Sorry it hurts your feelings to question the almighty concept of redistricting commissions. :rolleyes:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Arizona's does its job. Very few states use bi-partisan redistricting commissions to draw the lines without legislative intervention...which is what this case is about.

Yeah the thing is Idaho and Montana for example also have them and don't do particularly great. And New Jersey has two different ones, for US Rep seats and state legislature sets respectively, and there's a lot of blatant gerrymander fuckery there as well.

And then Arkansas, Pennsylvania, and Ohio are examples of states that only have the commissions for state legislature seats, and produce some pretty drat shady results.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes, currently. Ideally that improves!

I rather doubt it will all that much. You'll always have way better usability with the implant.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Everblight posted:

Oh, well if it's not perfect right now, nevermind then. Let's go back to Pong paddles and putting quadrapalegics on Ice Floes.

Uh, what? What's your problem with having to get an implant? It just makes sense for doing what it's meant to do.

It ensures the most reliable possible connection which is vital for people in need.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Looking up "consent decree", it means the police would not have to admit they did wrong? What is THIS poo poo?

To be fair abiding by a consent agreement is admitting you're wrong in all but saying it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I thought if local authorities ignored federal instructions then there was no negotiation, they just got taken over.

Nah they get their day in court, just like when companies get taken over by the government.

They always have the option to save the excess expenses involved in a lawsuit by just accepting it, I believe the chances of winning against the feds is ludicrously low.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jesus loving christ, that's horrible.

If (when :smithicide: ) this passes, could people offer ungendered bathrooms? I mean, that's a terrible 'solution' to the situation, but it's gotta be better than the alternatives.

Really all you'd have to do is be a decent person and not call the cops over someone taking a piss.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I thought it was a backronym after people kept calling them tea-baggers.

The first mass "tea party" protests wrote it as TEA Party for the acronym, it was part of the branding whichever conservative group backing them wanted. It was also one of the "suggestions" for protest signs that they gave to participants.

It was later dropped, because it was so self-obviously stupid.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
To be fair, the whole Medicare Part D thing or wherever where part of your stuff is handled by an insurance company does confuse people

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Even if a multipolar situation is the future it's quite unlikely that military interventions will become less common, given the last time we were in a multipolar world.

Yeah the era of Great Powers certainly wasn't peaceful.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Internet Webguy posted:

No no no, you guys are all wrong. Gay people don't offend him, it's just the fact that they are using a straight person word to describe their dirty, perverse "love", that's all.

*Insert clip of Ron Paul in Bruno here*

Man that scene was just great.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shageletic posted:

is....is that cover real?!?!

Yes, and it's a pretty close trace of the original GTA V poster

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PhilippAchtel posted:

And all while North Korea stands, proving to every tin pot dictator in the world that the only way to get the United States to rule out military action is to acquire nuclear weapons. Yes, that would certainly be a positive outcome to a breakdown in negotiations to stem the spread of nuclear weapons.

Lol, no. You're aware they also weren't touched before they got a purported nuke in 2006, right? And no one takes their program seriously because their only delivery method is road transport?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You don't need long notice to boot someone out of dorms, I can't imagine fraternity houses legally owned by the university, which are reasonably common, would be much different.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PhilippAchtel posted:

But in this case I believe perception makes reality. North Korea certainly believes its nuclear weapons act as a deterrent and makes it a Regional Player..

They can believe that all they want, all the other countries in the area barely credit them with being a player within their own territory, bub. I mean they also officially believe at least that the last two Dictators were scions of Heaven.

You also again just ignored the whole 15-16 years between their Soviet patron collapsing and them getting a nuke.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stereotype posted:

You can tell that this email thing is stupid because everyone is frantically grasping at reasons why what Hillary did was bad and why it merits this amount of attention.

I'm excited for next month, when it's revealed that Hillary did not in fact go to most of the sites she put in her favorites list after doing so!

Then for August 2016: the "Hillary wanted her own printer" scandal because she didn't ant to share one with her secretary.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

She printed the floorplan and access codes to our embassy in Benghazi on that printer and mailed it to Al-Qaeda. Where's the printer paper, Hillary? Or are you afraid of what we'll find if we compare your printer paper to documents seized from Al-Qaeda?

DRUDGE REPORT HEADLINE, OCTOBER 2016:

HILLARY BROUGHT HER OWN STAPLER TO WORK FOR A YEAR!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Look, if Obama was caught stealing a pencil from a secretary in the White House without giving it back it'd probably be front page news on Fox and proof of the nigDemocrat's true leanings and the need to impeach the man.

Drudge Report: :siren:OBAMA TAKES TWO MINTS INSTEAD OF ONE MINT FROM DINER COUNTER:siren:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RuanGacho posted:

This law has the convenient side effect of making all the NSA's meta data collection, legal.

It's already legal multiple times over, chief. Been that way for like a decade or more.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want to make a list of the worst loving comments regarding Net Neutrality. Like at this point I'm half sure it's all just a secret bet to see who can say the wrongest loving thing about it.

I ahve already seen people on online games blaming it for lag or whatever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Why does the Right hate the post office again?

Anything that's the government that's not ARE TROOP or a cop beating up a black guy is evil and unneeded and done better by the private sector.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

No, it just means that you don't intentionally misread people's statements like you were on TGWTG or something.

No one cares about whatever internet meme you're trying to reference dude.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stereotype posted:

No one remembers that it costs like 20 dollars to ship a letter with FedEx or UPS.

Plenty of them do, but they assume that's because it's the Real Price and therefore Obama is taking their tax money to subsidize letters for minorities or some poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You're still not making any sense with your weird code.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grouchio posted:

The effects of $10 trillion, about 2/3rds of the US's entire GDP, entering the economy at once are predictably disastrous.

This isn't how giving money to banks works. By the way we've dumped trillions upon trillions upon trillions of dolalrs into the economy in the past like 8 years and last quarter we actually had deflation again.

Grouchio posted:

Wait when? I did not hear this.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 16, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FAUXTON posted:

I think everyone is overlooking the part where Schock expensed flights between Chicago and Peoria. I mean it isn't a picturesque drive or anything but it's like flying from St. Pete to Orlando, only assholes do that poo poo.

The John Sununu of the 21st century?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

lol okay true

Yeah like the LoC will be around still.

unless nuclear war, it will.

if nuclear war, everything disappears

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

Do they literally have stuff vaulted off and protected to last centuries? I always imagined it was just a big rear end library lol

Library of Congress and National Archives holdings includes duplicates of all sorts of stuff across most major cities and metro areas, as well as dedicated high value storage in places like the various old emergency government headquarters locations. This goes especially for their digitization projects and web archiving poo poo, because it's easy as hell to have massively redundant data storage.

Like yeah, the LOC copyright holdings for random books only have a few or even one physical copy in DC, but everything else would be fine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lemming posted:

I think self-driving cars are going to put a lot more people out of work than robot fast food, at least in the near future.

Not really, as in the near future you should expect there to have be a seat-warmer to put liability on if the self driving vehicle crashes. Wage cuts rather than losses of jobs, really.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

evilweasel posted:

You can't shift liability onto an employee for negligence when they're doing their job. I mean maybe the company could turn around and sue them, but they'd probably be poor enough to be judgment-proof.

Current laws in most states require that if a vehicle's going to be on the road, there's got to be a driver "responsible" for it in the car, since they do not explicitly allow driverless vehicles on public roadways. So if you're Big Truck Co and you want to start running self-driving rigs from Tulsa to Pittsburgh in 2017, you still gotta have some guy sitting in the driver's seat who's supposedly in control.

I sincerely doubt a federal legalization of driverless vehicles nationwide, or even a majority of states approving driverless vehicles anytime soon.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Not to mention why would I put one of my employees into a google truck and risk my own involvement at all?

Unless you're in California, your Google Truck ain't allowed to drive without someone in the driver's seat who could choose to drive manually at any time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spaceman Future! posted:

Do those laws require and specify that the person controlling the car has to be physically present in the drivers seat in the car, or just that a human can interact with the car manually at any time? I mean there would have to be very specific language requiring you to be biologically present in the seat, otherwise presence could easily be interpreted as telepresense.

I doubt the actual regulations of any state besides California would accept telepresence in their current state, or in the near future. Not to mention, hello, sticking some doofus in the chair for minimum wage probably costs less than maintaining an acceptable live connection for bona fide teleprescence. After all, all your seat warmer needs to be able to manage is to hit the brakes and steer away from danger should something go wrong.

While remote controlled stunt cars are used for movies filmed on real streets and the like, they also have special police permits that block normal traffic and all the rest during that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

evilweasel posted:

Yes, but that's complying with regulation, not shifting the liability onto that warm body.

I would fully expect, under current laws in most states, that the guy who's being paid to sit at the driver's seat is going to be considered responsible for any accident, and to be the one who has to deal with points on his license/some of the fines/possible revocation of driver's license.

Spaceman Future! posted:

yeah but surely one mook who can control 50 cars at any given time is cheaper than 50 mooks in 50 cars. Smart cars will already need data links to operate anyway, and those same links can be used for telepresence if you need a manual driver, ford is already playing with this: https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ng-atlanta.html all over cell data. Seems to me that unless the state reqired, in the wording of the law, that your warm body have skin touching the seat of the car that you could argue that your remote vehicle management agent in Vermont or Florida is just as present in that vehicle.

That's also close to impossible, especially with near future technology. No one is capable of being aware enough to handle potential crash scenarios with multiple vehicles at once when they can't also control all other nearby vehicles. Rail automation is "easy" even when you have a mix of manually operated and automatic trains on the same line, because worst comes to worst, the central control offices can halt all nearby trains if something fucky is about to happen. TruckCo HQ can't control all the cars around their truck.

Can you have some guy back at TruckCo HQ who's monitoring your 50 automatic trucks? Sure, just like you have people monitoring transit networks and the like. But they're not going to be capable of suddenly jumping to a given truck's controls so they don't plow into the back of something. People's relfexes are bad enough when they're physically present and aware of the ongoing situation, it goes right to hell when you add mobile network latency and the fact that the remote operator wasn't aware of that particular truck's situation fully until 5 seconds ago.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Well at that point the argument that you could drop any rando minimum wage worker into the seat falls apart anyway as whoever you put in would need to respond to emergency situations within a few seconds with no notice and from a completely lax state would and with professional accuracy. You cant even get that from people who drive professionally, and at that point what improvement do you have over someone who isnt about to die and isnt full of adrenaline punching the clock a few states away? And if there is no clear benefit what case do the states make that someone should be there anyway during the inevitable lawsuit?

Your automatically driven truck can't have a manual transmission for obvious reasons, so right there that's a significant loss of needed experience compared to most trucks on the road. All the driver needs to be able to handle is steering and brakes really, and maybe redirecting the truck back onto the road once danger's passed.

This requires less training than operating a standard truck by a lot. All your minimum wage guy needs to handle is the ability to pass a CDL test in a rig with an automatic transmission and he's good to go to be your warm body.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

I just can't see Alaska's being true at all, but okay.

The map actually excludes "generic office worker", and it isn't mean to imply that the job is a majority, just that a job is (usually second most) most common.

Think of it more like a map that tells you John is the most popular name in most states, it doesn't mean most people are named John.

• Locked thread