Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good Citizen posted:

My understanding is that Irans nuclear targets are so hardened at this point that any sort of attack from the air would be almost completely ineffective anyway

This is why a lot of people are flipping out about Bibi sabotaging the Iranian nuclear talks, barring a full on invasion if the deal falls through there isn't really anything Israel or the U.S. can do to stop Iran from developing a nuclear weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Do we know any details about the Iranian nuclear talks? I'm not cheering Bibi on, but it's hard to imagine bargaining with Iran with any sort of good faith.

We are more than able to come to a deal with Iran at the current point in time, which is why Bibi and the Republican congress is doing it's best to mess things up. A Iranian nuclear deal holds far more power symbolically than it does practically, it proves that Iran isn't an insane rogue state which is something Bibi doesn't want.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So whats the over and under on what will be the "Unskewed polls" of the 2016 election?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I'd imagine the repeat calling for the destruction of israel by Iran's supreme leader might make some people a little uneasy. Especially since he's the leader or so many drat armed forces within Iran. And he's also the highest political and religious authority in Iran.

The logic of the positive and negative consequences probably wouldn't matter to someone with the highest religious authority especially when they feel it's their duty to destroy a country.

Short of Israel or the US nuking Iran we have no reasonable way of stopping Iran from getting nukes if the new deal falls through. But even if Iran develops a bomb they are never going to actually use it, all it would do is establish nuclear parity in the mid east, which Isn't a bad thing.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

What time/channel will be best to watch Bibi on tomorrow?
e:

cspan 1, 2, or 3, and what time?

Watch the youtube stream, this time the ASCII swastika's will have actual relevance to the subject matter.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's pretty interesting that Israel - American relations will probably come to an end not because of of a demographic shift, but Israeli leaders doing their darnedest to bite the hand that feeds them.

It's so textbook stupid you could make a children's book out of it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The leader of the free world is doing is best to secure a deal that creates peace in the Mid East and makes thing safer to Israel, obviously the mature solution to this is to be a big baby and go whine at U.S. Congress because I didn't get to have photo ops with IDFAF pilots because we didn't bomb bomb bomb Iran.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Ha you pull this prognostication out of your rear end? America will support Israel for at least the rest of our lifetimes.

Popular support for a foreign nation can fly away quicker than you think. It's happened many, many times through out history. And Israel is doing it's absolute best to make all it's friends hate it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah Bibi and the Israeli government are totally sane mature people, they TOTALLY won't push this further. They TOTALLY won't cause an international crisis because they are big fat whiny babies who long for the teat of the bush administration.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

... You know, sometimes the accusations of anti-semitism are crap, but there are always people like you to help us remember that some people really are anti-Semitic.

Rich jewish people are racist (Most rich people are racist, or classicist), I assume you have never been to New York.

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Actually, being anti semitic is cool as hell if the Jew has bad opinions on politics.

wow do you call people who say Ben Carson is a shithead racist to?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
As far as I'm concerned Snowdens little claim to morality and righteousness ran out the minute he decided to shill for Putin on Russian TV.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most libertarians are idiots. As are the people who found his "leaks" to be news, more at 11.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone who found any of the NSA leaks in the past decade surprising are retards. Congress passed the patriot act in loving 2001, something you could find the contents of with google. The government....is watching people? Wire tapping? This is sure surprising to me because I have the political memory of a gold fish and still believe in santa!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Americans are more concerned that the government may have an email of theirs in a database somewhere, while 500,000 people in Iraq died because of entirely falsified evidence. As far as I'm concerned Snowden is just a idiot blinded by self righteousness who bought into the same myth most modern day Russiboo's do of Putin being some great leader for responsibility and capitalism.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I am concerned about both things, and many others, as well.

Yeah because the government having the power to look at a email is the same as falsifying evidence that lead to a war that cost over a trillion dollars and killed thousands of American soldiers.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feral Integral posted:

You keep saying stuff like this, but if you were Snowden why would you scuttle your pretty much only lifeline in Russia by speaking out against putin? I dont really get where you are coming from

If I were Snowden I wouldn't have thrown my life away for literally nothing, so there's that. He's an idiot, and if was him right now I would just flee to a banana republican and enjoy the rest of my days on a beach before the CIA inevitably takes me and hooks a car battery up to my sack.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

It's not but we also don't have a linear queue of things we need to be worried about in order and can only talk about the top thing on the list. If you think that government espionage against its citizens isn't a concern, you need to have a better argument than "heck, it's not the worst thing they are doing".

The point is less that spying on your own citizens is okay, and more that the NSA isn't really any more evil than the CIA being a thing.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

If you want Obama to pardon him, why not root for Obama to do that right now? It gets him out of Russia, deprives Putin of some PR, and the end result is the same. It's not like we need to trial to prove he did it beyond a reasonable doubt: Snowden has already told us everything.

Because that would piss of everyone in bureaucracy who's lives were made worse by the leak? poo poo like what Snowden pulled makes life for federal contractors miserable.

hobbesmaster posted:

Snowden should be fine where he is unless he does something incredibly stupid. Putin needs to keep him safe-ish in relative quiet so that any spies or potential defectors they have in the US know that Russia will take care of them (even if Russia won't).

Snowden will probably just end up being a bargaining chip later on down the line, but he also is incredibly stupid (and so is Putin) so I wouldn't rule out anything just yet.

Zeitgueist posted:

So? It stuck around longer

not sure what running down Snowden does, other than some goon self-loathing

chelsea manning and snowden are both heroes and should be appreciated for what they did

It's not goon self loathing to dislike Snowden, he's just not a martyr for government responsibility.

And Chelsea manning is an entire other box of banana's. She's in prison for a good reason, you don't break intelligence law like she did and get away with it.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, who cares that she revealed atrocities committed by the US government?

Leaking something while you work in the military will always be a bad idea no matter how important it is that you leak said information. The military can't really afford to be lax in this circumstance, and all things considered has treated manning fairly well.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also deserves a pardon though.

Pardons for Federal contractors/workers who leak is unlikely, pardons for military personal who leak classified information is never going to happen.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah like that time Petraeus served like 15 years.

If I had my way he would hang for a lot more than intelligence leaks.

hobotrashcanfires posted:

It's also pretty ironic that the country who supposedly represents what he claims to fight for went so far as to force down a plane carrying the leader of a sovereign nation on the mere suspicion he was on it.

If anything the US is happy he's there (though better to lock him in a concrete box for decades), it creates stupid and pointless debates like this.

Russia gave terrorists advanced anti air systems that shot down a civilian air liner. Putin and Russia and far, far worse than the USA is right now.

Talmonis posted:

She didn't know what she was leaking to foreign nationals, and should be punished accordingly for her gross negligence in a petty attempt to harm the military.

It's sad but military law is a different animal than regular law. And Manning has been treated fairly well all told compared to how she could have been.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can't throw a General in Federal prison, Petraeus has friends that would throw a poo poo fit. When dealing with high level corruption you need to be careful, and manning could have been treated far, far worse than she has been so far.

If she had done what she did 10 years earlier she would probably be in Guantanamo bay right now.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Talmonis posted:

gently caress his friends. He's guilty of Treason and that's the stance that the country needs to take. And if any of his friends make a fuss, out them publicly for defending a traitor's actions.

Iv stated before that I agree, but I can't say I'm not sympathetic to the poor prosecutor whose career is going to get ruined by this.

The US gave advanced anti air systems to terrorists too, doublebonus, they were used to shoot down our own aircraft when we eventually went to fight them.

What's your point? If you think it was Snowden's grand plan to wind up in Russia, or he believes Russia is in any way better than the US...but then I guess you already knew everything like 10 years ago and it's not cool anymore, move on already.

Snowden didn't want to go to Russia, but his insistence that "Russia totally is great no really you guys" isn't very confidence instilling. And yeah we did bad things in the past, but that doesn't excuse Russia's current shenanigans in Eastern Euro.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Odd that I've never heard Snowden insisting how great Russia is, nor have I heard people claiming that acknowledging bad things we've done "in the past" somehow excuses Russia.

So, again, what's your point? Other than you really don't like Russia and Snowden?

He did a interview with Putin himself on Russian TV. The overall theme was that "Pshh, we don't do any of that pesky civil rights abusing stuff in Russia!"

ixnay posted:

Clean DHS funding bill just passed the House, 257-167

Oh Mr. Boner you have done it again!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yeah, it totally makes sense to give America a pass on this one because they are marginally better than the Russian Federation, an expansionist, autocratic, petro-state run by corporate mobsters. I mean, it isn't like America claims to be a nation with a global mission to promote personal liberty, democratic reforms, and international cooperation and security. It isn't as if American leaders themselves claim any exceptional historical role in those aforementioned areas.

I'm not giving America a pass.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
How do you even write a bill to "defund Obama's amnesty"? I mean Obama still has to pass it right?

Here Mr. President, the house and senate passed this bill, they are calling it the "gently caress THE NEGRO IN THE WHITE HOUSE BILL" would you care to sign?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

hobbesmaster posted:

There was probably a boarding pass to the US with Snowden's name on it taped to the camera.

You don't get to paint yourself a martyr and then slob the nob of the next dictator who walks up to your hotel room/Russian air port urinal.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unzip and Attack posted:

That's easy to say from where you're sitting.

If you want to be a martyr, you need to actually martyr yourself. Snowden is just annoying due to his inflated ego, having seen the man speak at information conferences he probably actually believes half the poo poo he says.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

..and if he were in fact nob slobbing and praising Putin's glorious Russia endlessly, you'd probably have little trouble convincing anyone. Unfortunately your hatred for him seems to be more the result of your fevered imaginations.

I said "Annoying" for a reason, I just think he's a dick. I don't hold any special hatred for the guy.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monkey Fracas posted:

Because now every rudimentary funding decision is held hostage with conservative demands. You have to "get" something out of passing funding for basic services or you've failed as a conservative politician!

How long until every deep-red-district has a far-right opportunist elected and the GOP can collectively stop this "Oh gently caress, I have to prove I'm really really conservative or I'm getting primaried from the right!" dance? Has every district that can elect an insane person with relative certainty done so yet?

It ends in Civil War (I won't go that far, unless something really stupid happens), but the far right resurgence is just the GOP's battle of the bulge, soon their panzers are going to run out of gas and then it's all over.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope all of you are looking forward to Ben "Veterans dying is a Gift from God" Carson's presidential run

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/11/15/top-10-quotes-that-prove-neurosurgeon-ben-carson-doesnt-have-the-brain-to-be-president/

quote:

5. “I think what’s happening with the veterans is a gift from God to show us what happens when you take layers and layers of bureaucracy and place them between the patients and the health care provider. And if we can’t get it right, with the relatively small number of veterans, how in the world are you going to do it with the entire population?”
~Ben Carson, thanking God for dead soldiers in an attack on ObamaCare amid the Veteran’s Affairs military healthcare scandal in which veterans died waiting for medical care, Memorial Day Weekend 2014.

personally I just can't wait.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

To compare what's happening now to McCarthyism is like comparing a poorly powered light bulb to the blinding radiance of a nuclear blast.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meg From Family Guy posted:

The Clinton's made Vince Foster disappear, scrubbing emails is trivial

how is this a bad thing

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Business Gorillas posted:

Is Miami in sort of the same situations that New Orleans is in with the rest of Louisiana: Everyone hates it because its blue but the rest of the state runs on being able to plunder the money flowing into it? I can't imagine Orlando doing too well with Disney being the ultimate vacation for the rapidly evaporating middle class.

Both Orlando and Miami are the sworn enemies of the Republican area's of the state, Orlando for being fairly more liberal and having a large gay community, and Miami for being full of Jews and Hispanics.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Florida is a blue state that's only red because of how Gerrymandered it is and the democrats incompetence. Thankfully old people can't afford to move here anymore so it will get slightly better over time.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're wrong again, intern. Florida was a lean-blue state when the individuals born and raised during FDR's era began to retire; its been trending red as they've died off, offset by minority population growth, countered by restrictive voting laws.

It doesn't trend red, a majority of people in the state are not conservative. It's still hosed by conservatives because of gerrymandering and the fact that the democrats haven't been able to get any actual good candidates thanks to the Florida democratic party being run by half dead people.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
As demographics shift I wouldn't be surprised in 10 years to see Florida get more blue, but for now it will remain a typical southern state with Republican state government and cities with democratic control.

It's always funny to see the southern states only succeeding because the democrats manage the cities so well.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Nuclear Iran isn't a threat to Israel or the U.S.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Getting nuclear weapon 6000 miles across the ocean is somewhat challenging.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Chicken posted:

The Tom Cotton quote, now in video form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk__K_A2GSw

quote:

Billy Bob
19 minutes ago

DON'T LISTEN TO THE OLD FART, HE IS AN OBAMA LYING DRONE,
THE AMERICAN PEOPLE THAANK YOU FOR THE LETTER. MUSLIM OBAMA IS NOT WORKING FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. OBAMA GO ON T.V. AND EAT REAL BACON, NOT THAT TURKEY CRAP. OH poo poo, HE IS USING THE EMPTY CHAIR AGAIN. TOTAL FAILURE.

Alright, which one of you did this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The CIA says he has the flu and I guess he's neurotic and insecure enough to think that the world knowing that is a weakness.

He probably found out that Russia has finally ran out of functional nuclear weapons and is currently sitting on a beach in Argentina.

• Locked thread