Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Chantilly Say posted:

The law, though not the Constitution, defines the militia as being made up of two parts: the organized militia (the national guard) and the unorganized militia (any male citizen between 17-45 who isn't in the military). The amendment reads awkwardly to us now, but at the time it was understood to mean that any man could buy and own... well, any weapon, really, since it was understood that many men of the time were members of their locally organized, self-regulating militia. You could have a cannon if you wanted!

The original intent of the Founders is a silly thing to base modern laws on.

Yeah man that sounds well regulated to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

In the way we understand those words now, or in the way they were understood in 1789?

No I'm afraid there is no way the phrase "well regulated militia" can reasonably be construed to mean "all the young and middle aged men in the country". Sorry.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

The founders also thought "a black person" could reasonably be construed to mean "3/5ths of a white person" so confusion about who's doing the regulating in the phrase "well-regulated militia" is like missing the slave-raping forest for the trees, frankly.

I mean I guess that's one way of putting it for people who can't be bothered with the nuances of political compromise.

Hint: you're misinterpreting the three fifths compromise.

• Locked thread