Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

holy gently caress if that's the rating you were going to train into jesus christ you dodged a bullet you lucky idiot

never enlist again dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

haha.

gonna be a loving kite in the wind with this goddamn tent strapped to my back. small price to pay to just flop the bastard down and crawl in 30 seconds later.

that pack is gonna hurt after a couple hundred miles

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

never been on citalopram so I couldn't tell ya anything about it.

gonna have to do for a couple thousand. I have some hosed up hard-on for my old alice pack.

besides, that's what the sleeping pad is for, when properly folded and strapped onto the back of the frame. it's stuffed in the pack in that picture.

just ordered Frank's sleeping pad, rain coat, a new collar, and my rain suit (my set now is basically the old goretex parka and pants set the army didn't want back after deployment). had to order a wheel cover for the rucksack cover with that big loving circle of a tent. first aid kit, boots, and other miscellaneous poo poo are on the way already. got a 15600mAh battery pack for the phone and kindle. without food, it looks like I'll be in the 25 pound range. Frank's getting 2 - two quart canteens to carry on his vest, so about 8 pounds.

unconventional, at best, is going to be the description of my hike.

I highly suggest watching REI for their garage sales or craigslist for a decent modern pack. I know everyone loves those alice packs but it's some serious stockholm syndrome poo poo. you don't need to spend $500 on an ultralight black diamond pack, but theres a lot to be said for modern internal frame packs with molded hip bolsters.

hook yourself up and get lots of moleskin and blister cushions. put the moleskin on places you even THINK you'll get blisters and use the blister cushions if you start to feel hotspots.

I do about ~500 miles every summer and those blister pads and moleskin are fuckin lifesavers

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

yeah, moleskin is gonna be high on the list of poo poo to keep on hand. right up there with permethrin and a citronella candle to coat my balls with wax to keep the ticks off.

I'm not that retarded. wait, maybe.

I'll upgrade from alice someday, just want to hump her up this trail. cost effective, 3~ pounds, durable. obviously a nice pack isn't tremendously expensive, but I'll look into it for next season.

lots of deet or if you're a pussy you can use eucalyptus oil. good luck on your trip and I think if nothing else when you pick up a new pack you'll really appreciate it after you and shim's appalachian sweathog adventure

The Rat posted:

I've been using a surplus Marine ILBE pack and it's been great for my purposes. Got it used for like $75. I chopped off a bunch of the excess MOLLE and buckles and poo poo and shaved a whole pound.

I was never a Marine, but gently caress if the ILBE isn't a much better pack than anything the Army ever issued me.

if you ditch the little summit bag or whatever that gay poo poo is on the back, that looks almost exactly like mine, except mine has different ~ergonomic~ padding also doesn't have a gay camo pattern, instead just regular colors and the backpack company's logo

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 5, 2015

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Speaking of, the Tacoma REI is doing their garage sale this Saturday, March 7th. Dunno if the Seattle store is as well, but either way get there early if you want to find the best poo poo.

thanks for the heads up, maybe I'll profit off of some idiot buying mountaineering boots looking for new hiking boots again

no thanks. I'll stick to the moleskin. besides, the boots shouldn't be a real issue once they're soaked, stressed and waterproofed. with any luck I shouldn't need socks in them, and they'll be like wearing buttery soft and smooth baby skins.

unless you've been hiking like that a lot recently and have built up callouses where your blisters were, I'd highly suggest extra thick wool socks, dude

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I have one of those titanium cookware sets and it kinda sucks, but I guess it does the job. it is really light at least.

spongebob what are you guys doing for food? I typically use the mountain house freeze dried stuff for breakfast/dinner and trail mix/jerky for lunch / snacks. since you probably don't want to carry a thru-hike's worth of food on your back, you can probably stage supplies at towns the AT goes through by mailing poo poo to yourself general delivery. if you want to do that, you might want to call the post office that would handle that, but it's worked for me on parts of the pct before.

also those survival straws are bullshit msr sweetwater is what you want

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I'm going to take the usual suspects of protein bars, nuts, jerky, rice, and just whatever seems right when we're in town and milling through the grocery stores. Probably get some produce every town stop to eat the first couple days back on trail.

that's a good idea, freeze dried poo poo and protein bars suck poo poo after a while. grab a couple of beers to drag with you too, cool 'em off in a creek or something before you drink them if it's warm outside, but man cracking a beer on a mountain top owns

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

That might not be ridiculous, I don't know how the setup is. I'd have to pull the engine to do the clutch on my car.

Considering how shoe-horned poo poo is in the engine bay of a modern VW it's well within the realm of possibilities. I helped a guy change a headlight bulb on a Phaeton and it required taking out the entire headlight assembly. And he got shocked by the capacitor for the xenon, but that was actually cool and funny.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

luv that scene

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Wait people have success with okcupid? I thought it was for fat chicks (most likely with kids) and tinder was where the cuties are

varies a lot by location, when I was in Tampa it was great because USF

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Any electricians or people with electric motor experience around? I have a potentially dumb question.

hook it up to 220

or 440

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm probably just going to order some replacement fans, but I'm checking around to see if I'm just an idiot first.

unless you can strip down and rewind the motor and then revarnish it, it's probably the best bet if you have a short INSIDE a fan motor. if they're expensive you might be able to sell the cores to someone who wants to rebuild it

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

See, that was my thoughts. I definitely cannot rebuild it myself.

shitcan 'em then rebuilding motors is gay as gently caress and a time intensive process that is probably not worthwhile for your roachcoach

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

yowza

also lmao

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

didn't blue squares say he'd never post in gip again w/ a toxx clause attached to it

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

blue squares posted:

I talked to Vasadus a while back and he said its cool, just not to be a bitch when people gently caress with me

except you bitched out on your own toxx, so you're being a bitch just by posting in here

just sayin

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Holy poo poo welcome back blue squares. I for one always believed your stories. Godspeed o7

wow you fuckin judas that's not what you said in ts

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

esteemed herpetologist making pronouncements about climate change?

:nallears:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I had discectomy and laminectomy it owned. my back is much better now, would go under the knife again

if they say fusion the only response is gently caress off

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

rucking didn't do me in, falling down a ladder in ffe w/ scba and a nfti did. prolly looked like an 80 y/o bag lady goin rear end over teakettle down that bitch tryin not to break the $30k piece of poo poo in my right hand. still fought the fire

also hiking is p. good for my back nowadays as long as I don't try to do like 20 miles in a day w/ 40lbs

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

MurderBot posted:

Anyone here live in Minnesota? The Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN has a lot of Fellowships open for post doc working, was considering moving me and the wife up there once I'm finished with school in NM.

I have a ton of family up there and in the North Dakota area, and spent a lot of summers on farms in the Sauk Center area, and loved it. Are the winters seriously just the most brutal/uninhabitable things about the place? or is it more of a "yeah it sucks but you'll live" sort of ordeal?

Rochester sucks, but if you need to do it for post doc poo poo, then it's probably alright.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nearish to Portland. Wife and I want to move pretty soon, but I don't want to go cross-country for this job.

don't do it

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

rallycross is extremely gay and FIA is trying to F1 up WRC real bad so I guess what I'm saying is rallyamerica and dakar are fuckin cool

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRreQnxAuS0

none of that pussy rallycross poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I hate gymkhana and all that poo poo for the sole reason of ruining the Dirt games and probably any future rally game

codemasters ruined it with dirt2 and that didn't have gymkhana

• Locked thread