Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Welcome to this Let's Play of Ultimate General Gettysburg, a real-time strategy game of the famous civil war battle. The game, which reminds me a lot of my old favourite Sid Meier's Gettysburg! boasts a pretty impressive AI, which plays on the same terms as the human player and a highly flexible campaign where your performance in each phase of the battle determines where you'll fight the next with a whole slew of speculative engagements, including the possibility of the battle dragging out to a fourth day of fighting if neither side can get an advantage.

Table of contents:

Arriving at Gettysburg, part 1
The basics of command, and a first call for volunteers
Arriving at Gettysburg, 09:30 to 10:30
Arriving at Gettysburg, 10:30 to 11:00
Arriving at Gettysburg, 11:00 to 11:45
Arriving at Gettysburg, 11:45 to 12:05
Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, introduction
Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 13:20 to 13:40
Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 13:40 to 14:10
Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 14:10 to 14:50
Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 14:50 to 15:30
Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 15:30 to 16:00
Confederates capture Seminary Ridge, 16:00 to 16:18
The Confederates surround Cemetery Hill, introduction
The Confederates surround Cemetery Hill, 16:03 to 17:03
The Confederates surround Cemetery Hill, 17:03 to 17:30
The Confederates surround Cemetery Hill, 17:30 to 17:57
The Confederates surround Cemetery Hill, 17:30 to 17:57
The Union looking Cemetery Hill from below, introduction

Goon order of battle (GOOB)

pre:
Robert E. Lee (Dr. Snark)
   Longsteet's 1st corps (Corbeau)
      McLaw's division (sparkmaster)
      Picketts's division (The Sandman)
         Armistead's brigade (unclaimed)
      Hood's division (The Merry Marauder)
         Texas brigade (Samolety)
   Ewell's 2nd corps (Roman Reigns)
      Early's division (Klaus88)
         Louisiana Tigers (Ahundredbux)
         Smith's brigade (unclaimed)
         Avery's brigade (unclaimed)
         Gordon's brigade (unclaimed)
      Johnson's division (Crowsbeak)
         Stonewall brigade (unclaimed)
      Rodes' division (dublish)
         Daniel's brigade (unclaimed)
         Doles' brigade (unclaimed)
         Iverson's brigade (unclaimed)
         Ramseur's brigade (unclaimed)
         O'Neal's brigade (unclaimed)
   A.P. Hill's 3rd corps (Jaguars!)
      Anderson's division (A White Guy)
         Wilcox's brigade (unclaimed)
         Mahone's brigade (unclaimed)
         Wright's brigade (unclaimed)
         Perry's brigade (unclaimed)
         Posey's brigade (unclaimed)
      Heth's division (Bacarruda)
         Pettigrew's brigade (echidnagirl)
         Brockenbrough's brigade (sullat)
         Archer's brigade (brb on fire) RIP :(
         Davis' brigade (Jimmy4400nav)
      Pender's division (Calax)
         Perrin's brigade (Abongination)
         Lane's brigade (Sixkiller)
         Scales' brigade (meatbag)
         Thomas' brigade (unclaimed)
   Stuart's cavalry division (cokerpilot)

Covski fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

During the LP, I'll let goons take command of the divisions and brigades of our chosen side as we fight out the entire battle. First thing's first:

Which side shall we fight as?

The Union will tend to have more and better artillery than their opponents, and is under less pressure to attack the enemy meaning that we would have to make fewer strategic gambles to win in the end. Essentially, the federalists are theoretically able to win the battle without ever having to take the offensive.

The Confederates, on the other hand, will tend to have more impressive generals and experienced troops who are especially able to trounce the enemy if it comes to a melee engagement. However, we would need to make some impressive efforts to destroy our enemies if we hope to win even a marginal victory in the end.

Secondly, we will need to choose the personality of our enemy. Each of these have some distinct differences in their tactics, as well as strengths and weaknesses to exploit. There is also an option to give bonuses to the AI, which we won't be doing for this LP.

Choosing a more difficult foe could provide a more interesting challenge, but on the other hand an easier opponent would leave more leeway for goon shenanigans without us losing miserably. We could also leave it on random, for a bit of a surprise.

Go ahead and vote, gentlemen!

Also, I mentioned this will be a participatory LP, where the forum posters will be commanding our army corps. For now, I'd like one volunteer to be the army commander. The army commander's responsibility will be to outline a general strategy for the subordinate corps commanders to carry out, advise the other players, and act as a stand in if corps commanders are absent or otherwise unable to send their orders. I'd prefer if this is someone either with experience of the game or a decent grasp of battle tactics. Just lemme know if you want to be the army commander. (We'll take volunteers for other levels of command as they are introduced in game.)

Covski fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 2, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I know it may be boring, I I have problems siding with IRL baddies- I say we play as The Union! Besides, their uniforms are much better than the Rebs'.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lets try to change history with The Confederates facing either a Defensive or Cautious opponent, whichever one Meade was close to being.

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
I say we should play The Confederates because it will be more challenging, and our opponent should be Defensive imo.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Lets play The Rebels, but lets change it up a bit. Change the Union side to offensive or risky and see what happens.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

sparkmaster posted:

Lets play The Rebels, but lets change it up a bit. Change the Union side to offensive or risky and see what happens.

This sounds like fun.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

sparkmaster posted:

I'd like to see how this plays out.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Let us play the union and Randomize the opponent.

I like this game a lot, it's very simple to pick up, aside from determining artillery line of sight, but it's tough to win if you don't go in with a good battle plan.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
This is such a good game.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

sparkmaster posted:

I support this

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

sparkmaster posted:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Confederates versus an aggressive Union opponent it is. We will have to be very careful to not let the enemy leverage their superior numbers against us once their entire force is on the field.

Arriving at Gettysburg, morning July 1st, part 1

Well, gentlemen, it seems we have blundered into a handful of cavalry militia. These people should easily be swept away by our southern steel. Let's get those shoes!

Two brigades and a unit of skirmishers under corps commander A.P. Hill are poised on Hall's ridge, ready to move against the ridges north-west of Gettysburg. Our artillery is standing by to move up to the ridge and commence firing.

We are facing a small detachment of dismounted cavalry skirmishers and videttes under General Buford defending McPherson's ridge, as well as a single artillery battery.

Skirmishers are very mobile and can be quite effective at harassing and slowing advancing enemy forces, but cannot stand up very well to sustained enemy fire. Videttes are rifle armed cavalry, filling much the same role as skirmishers although even more manoeuvrable and vulnerable.

Here we can also see the topography view. This is very helpful for determining line of sight and planning attacks, as a unit on a hill will have a significant advantage.

Clicking on a general shows his area of influence. All subordinate troops within this radius receives a quite substantial morale bonus, for this reason maintaining cohesion in a division is a good thing. The quality of the general (A.P. Hill has two out of three stars) determines the size of the radius and the magnitude of the bonus.

All units have a morale stat, representing their will to fight, and a condition stat, representing their levels of ammunition and exhaustion). It's worth noting that the morale values are somewhat deceptive - only the most elite units have a max morale of 100%, and for example skirmishers rarely have a max morale over about 20%.

Here is an overview of most of the important areas of this engagement. As you can see, there are some quite dominating ridges and woodlands which we shall have to control as they are very powerful defensive positions.

Of course, the big coloured numbers are they victory points we will want to capture and hold. It is also important to note that casualties will also affect our victory score, and are persistent between phases of the battle. We will want to avoid pyrrhic victories as much as possible, especially given the need to conserve our fewer but superior troops as the Confederacy.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Basics of command, and a first call for volunteers

Giving orders in the game is quite simple. Troops are mostly moved by clicking and dragging out the path you want them to follow, and your brigades are generally intelligent enough to wheel to face the enemy and switching between line of battle and column formation (limbering, in the case of artillery) for moving longer distances. Skirmishers and videttes will automatically attempt to keep their distance from advancing enemy troops. You can also wheel them in place manually. Besides this, there are a few different special orders:

Holding is situationally useful, preventing troops from autonomously falling back unless they are routed, and also forbidding them to automatically wheel around.
Running is great for getting troops somewhere in a hurry, but will tire them out enormously, especially if they move through more difficult terrain such as forests.
Charging is quite risky and tiring, but can be the best way to dislodge an entrenched defender.
Falling back is a controlled fighting retreat, making a brigade try to disengage an enemy safely by backing away while still firing.

Artillery units can switch between solid shot, shell and canister, but can usually be trusted to manage this automatically.

Enough basics, time to find us some volunteers and start making plans!

This is our order of battle for this first engagement. Troops in grey are en route but still haven't arrived on the field.

As I mentioned, we still need a Commander of the army, to set the general objectives and advise the corps commanders.

Corps commanders, such as A.P. Hill in this first fight, will be the guys I'll expect to do most of the order giving. All in all, we'll eventually need four of these guys, although this includes J.E.B. Stuart and his cavalry division which are unlikely to see any action before the later stages of the battle, as he's still futzing around god knows where.

Division commanders will argue strategies with their corps commanders and can, if they wish, do some micromanagement with the brigades under them. This should be seen as optional, but may be a good thing if we want to perform more precise manoeuvres.

If you feel like participating but don't care to have a division command or above, feel free to sign up as a Brigade commander. Your duties will consist of bragging about your amazing K/D ratio, bitching at your superiors for sending you and your men to your deaths, and bitching at your commanders for not allowing your men to make glorious charges against the enemy.

Right now, we need volunteers for these commanders, before we can proceed:

Robert E. Lee (Army) (claimed by Dr. Snark)
A.P. Hill (Corps) (claimed by Jaguars!)

These divisions are available:

Heth (claimed by Bacarruda)
Pender (claimed by (tatankatonk)

These brigades are up for grabs:

Pettigrew's brigade (claimed by echidnagirl)
Brockenbrough's brigade (claimed by sullat)
Archer's brigade (claimed by brb on fire)
Davis' brigade
Perrin's brigade (claimed by Abongination)
Lane's brigade (claimed by Sixkiller)
Scales' brigade (claimed by meatbag)

Once we have found ourself a Lee and an A.P. Hill, I'll talk more about the actual givings of orders.

Covski fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 2, 2015

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I'll grab the Scales Brigade, seems like the one best suited for punning.

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
I'll claim Pettigrews Brigade, because Pettigrew had such a magnificent beard.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Heth's Division

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

meatbag posted:

I'll grab the Scales Brigade, seems like the one best suited for punning.

Enjoy your really goony-looking governor! He seems like a pretty cool dude, actually.

echidnagirl posted:

I'll claim Pettigrews Brigade, because Pettigrew had such a magnificent beard.

Ah, a gentleman and a scholar! And played in the movie by that James Bond nobody remembers, no less. (Pettigrew, along with Cutler on the Union side, have special places in my heart as those two were the brigadiers you played as in the tutorial for Sid Meier's Gettysburg!, which as I mentioned was my introduction to the ACW as a kid :3:)

Bacarruda posted:

Heth's Division

General Heth, good to have you onboard, sah! Just be prepared to take the blame for getting us into this mess if we don't win this here scrap!

I've also gone and added a list of goon officers to the OP, for easier overview.

Covski fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 2, 2015

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Covski posted:

Penn's brigade Perrin's Brigade

Gen.Perrin here reporting with unusual swag.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Whoops! In my defence, the low resolution screenshot I looked at for reference really makes "Perrin" look like "Penn" at a glance! :colbert:

Though I do declare that Napoleon look you have going on does indeed imply a lot of swagger, General Perrin!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Against my better judgement, I'm going to sign up as Army Commander. Under my command, only a few of us will die!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Longstreet. So that I can later write about how Dr. Snark messed it all up on the third day.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, here goes... I'll be the A.P Hill you're y'all're lookin' fer!

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I'll take Pender's division.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
I'll take Archer's Brigade. If we have anything relevant to say regarding tactics we can still totally make a suggestion right?

(I'd totally take Pickett when he shows up but that entails actual responsibility :v:)

brb on fire fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 2, 2015

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
I'll be swiping Lane's Brigade because of Lane's dashing french fork beard.

Sixkiller fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 3, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I'll volunteer for Brokenbrough's Brigade or "BBB" for short.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

General Lee, General Longstreet, it's an honour to have you both here. I'm sure you'll get along splendidly!

And Little Powell is here as well and he's got his red shirt on, great! Now that the top brass are all here, let's get this show under way. I'll make a post about making orders in just a couple of minutes.

brb on fire posted:

I'll take Archer's Brigade. If we have anything relevant to say regarding tactics we can still totally make a suggestion right?

Of course! All discussions of tactics are encouraged, especially passive-aggressive input from subordinate officers who could surely do better than their superiors if only they were in charge :v:

And also, there will be plenty of opportunities for brigade commanders to move up to a higher echelon of command when more officers become available in the later stages of the battle.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

edit: Never mind, I'll hold out for a division or corps commander

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 3, 2015

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Giving orders

Here is the map of the situation, for reference.

From the army commander (Dr. Snark) we'll need a general plan of attack, and an idea of the army's priorities with regards to which objectives on the map are most important, conservation of forces, etcetera. Of course since all the troops in this fight are under the same corps commander, there's not much sense in assigning objectives on a corps-basis, but this will be necessary in later stages when the entire army is on the field.

From the corps commander (Jaguars!) , I'll need instructions for the elements of the corps, currently just the brigades of Archer and Davis. Feel free to delegate to your division commanders (currently only Heth is on the field). Note that you are also in charge of the artillery, which is at the moment is still behind Herr's ridge and unable to fire. You'll also have the privilege of positioning yourself on the map to support the troops. If nothing is specified, I'll try to keep you as close as possible to as many of your brigades as possible.

Division commanders, feel free to give specific the brigades under your command, if you like to, however this is optional. Division commanders will have final say on how their brigades are used, but at least try to follow the orders of your corps commander.

I'd appreciate it if you would be so kind as to use maps if there is any risk of me misinterpreting your orders otherwise.

I won't force you to micromanage the positioning and cycling of your troops, and more general orders such as for example "hold the hill at this location and ensure that the enemy doesn't move around our right" are fine. However, let me know if you want to keep a certain amount of brigades in reserve for future needs, or have any specific conditional orders.

I'll run the game up to a logical point when I feel new orders are needed, either because of previous orders being completed or changing tactical situations.

Ask me if you need any additional in-game information!

ORDERS
General Lee (Dr Snark):
A.P. Hill's 3rd corps (Jaguars!):
Heth's division (bacarruda):

Now gentlemen, get strategizing and let's drive Billy Yank of those ridges!

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If we're already calling officers not yet on the field of glory, can I be Lafayette McLaws? He seems like a stand up chap.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

sparkmaster posted:

If we're already calling officers not yet on the field of glory, can I be Lafayette McLaws? He seems like a stand up chap.

What the heck, why not? I'll work on getting the entire OOB into the op so you guys can see what officers are available. :)

Roman Reigns posted:

edit: Never mind, I'll hold out for a division or corps commander

If you want, you can call dibs right now if you had someone in mind. Ewell will be the only other corps commander to arrive for quite some time, he'll come up in the very next phase of the battle if you're looking for a corps command.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, this may be overreaching my authority (already!) but I have an initial plan of action which I'll submit for criticism now to avoid the time zone dance:

quote:

Anderson's to move into the tree cover to the Southwest.
Davis's to move to a position between Herr's Tavern and Crist's farm.
Heth's Sharpshooters to cross the river to the north and sweep the ground to the northern (500vp)objective.
Artillery is to be used as follows: One battery on the heights above Anderson's, one to cross the river and cover Heth's, the rest to be arrayed across the top of the ridge between, bombarding the enemy cannon and skirmishers.

Any movement of the union troops towards the north is an opportunity for our main force to attempt to take the ridge. Otherwise, the sharpshooters taking the objective is the signal to the rest of the army to move forward.

I was thinking that I'd make the initial command the most detailed, and then give the division/brigade commanders relative freedom of manouvre. Of course, if they refer decisions upward, I'll do my best to take them. (or pass the buck)

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I'll take General Ewell when he comes about, and hopefully do a better job than he did.

brb on fire
May 12, 2013
I remember playing a kinda similar game when I was a kid. I think I just abused the superior Confederate morale and just charged the poo poo out the blueshirts. So I'm clearly good officer material! So I'm all in favour of just advancing forward when the time is right really (the time is always right)

Also I never did know much about Archer so I looked him up and, um, oh dear. He was captured on the first day of Gettysburg, maybe even in this battle :ohdear: Also he was totally too ill to even command properly, so fun times ahead. What I'm saying is, unless the game lets Archer hang around after the first few battles if he doesn't get himself captured, I maaaaay be selecting a new officer pretty soon.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Jaguars! posted:

OK, this may be overreaching my authority (already!) but I have an initial plan of action which I'll submit for criticism now to avoid the time zone dance:

I'd be critical of your overstepping you bounds...but your plans match up with mine quite nicely. Speaking of which!

I've marked out a few locations that I feel are critical to our initial plans.

Red: Our only victory point. We must hold this at all costs. It is also an excellent position for our artillery to be at for the moment.

Blue: The central bridge for the river. Fighting would be fiercest here, especially with the artillery by it, but capturing that area would give us a vital hold on McPherson's Ridge.

Yellow: This nearby forest area/ridge would make for an excellent staging point for our infantry.

Orange: A ford that is very close to the Union's northern victory point. Securing it would be valuable, but there is a high risk of interference from the videttes stationed near there.

Currently, the strategy is to push forward with Davis' and Archer's units to secure our side of the river while having Heth's unit move north to try and make a play for the northern victory point. Given the artillery at the base of McPherson's Ridge, I believe that we should wait for our artillery to set up before attempting an advance, as they could easily rip us apart with canister shot otherwise. I would also like to note that Union forces can try to raid us from the south with their other vidette unit, so we should watch for that.

And that's all the grand strategy for right now, as the fighting has yet to start in earnest.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Excellent! I only put out my plan because this is such a small scenario with a single corps, plenty of time for me to be subordinate once this battle is over.

While the strategy gets hashed out, here's a few things I'd like 3 corps to live by:

quote:

Lt Gen. A.P.J! Hill's rules of engagement for the 3rd Corps:

- The Troops are not to be run more than 300yds except in circumstances of most dire urgency.
- The enemy is only to be charged under favorable conditions. The charge is not a method of closing distance before a fresh enemy. Do not charge using units with severe morale problems.
- Skirmishers are to avoid stand up fights against line units. Skirmishers should only fight at favorable odds.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I'll take Archer

Alright, first shut up, second where the hell is my brandy? What kind of Civil War reenactment doesn't have brandy? That's like a Southern cause that doesn't involve some kind of racism. Also....

brb on fire posted:

(I'd totally take Pickett when he shows up but that entails actual responsibility :v:)

Goddamn it! [Sniff] It's..It's not like I wanted to be a civil war general anyways! I'll just go drink quietly in my apartment and call a prostitute or....several, like I usually do Wednesday, Thursday and.....occasional Sunday nights? WOODHOUSE! WHERE'S MY drat PHONE?!?

I'll take Davis if that's still an option.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

I'll take General Ewell when he comes about, and hopefully do a better job than he did.

He's yours. Though, are you sure taking that hill really is practicable?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'll take Davis if that's still an option.

You've got it!

Jaguars!, I'll assume you meant "Archer", not "Anderson"?

Since your plans seem to line up, I'll run the first minutes of the battle this evening as the orders currently stand unless there are any modifications or new orders from either Jaguars! or Bacarruda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
If Early's Division is available, could I take that please?

• Locked thread