Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Loving MAX, Katya, Ginger, on every level and everything they do. Kennedy is also a drat professional who's not taking guff. They're setting up Violet and Fame to be some battle royale but the only real battle here is which of them has less substance, and Fame is winning that by a mile. Jasmine is super fun but sloppy on the runway so she'll get booted soon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Pearl and Trixie are both pretty awesome and I dig their clear aesthetic visions. But there's a lot of good stuff happening this season so they're going to need to bring it if they're going to stand out. Luckily Pearl has an in on the NYC Bitchfight plot line.

Also gently caress you Kelly Mantle Syndrome for sending another professional older girl packing so I can watch Kandy Ho and Sasha Belle poo poo up the stage for another week

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't see Tempest (too dated), Jasmine (too sloppy), Trixie (Michelle is going to go to town on her makeup), or Max (too one note) lasting very long. We'll see though. For the first time in a few seasons I haven't followed all the internet sleuthing showing off what these queens can really do, it's just my own speculation from the promo videos and the first 10 minutes of the first episode.

I would have written off Max or Trixie too, but quirky and/or one-note queens who can demonstrate flexibility and the ability to go off note from time to time while staying professional and on point just keep taking the crown (arguably going back to Season 3, Season 4 at worst).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Untucked rocked. Love the new look, it feels way more intimate.

Tempest DuJour, in the tradition of Kelly Mantle, had a YouTube video all ready to go for the occasion:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KMGADXEzvU

Another performance queen lost to a stupid fashion challenge. :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

criscodisco posted:

When did Untucked air?

World of Wonder seems to be playing hardball with Logo and will instead be putting Untucked up on their Youtube channel the day after the episode airs at 9 AM EST. Latest episode is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNL2cpieWJs

Also Logo's new logo looks like it's a Jenny Craig product

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

they are just living for Jasmine.

There's a whole thread there right now entirely devoted to talking about Jasmine's rudeness in Untucked. If anything they seem to be head over heels for Pearl/Trixie/Katya/Fame/Ginger like just about everyone else.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bina posted:

I honestly don't know why people hate her. I like that Max has her own thing going on. At first, I was comparing her to Sharon, then to Jinkx, but then I saw that she has an eye for fashion.

drat, Max, that's one hell of an audition tape.

I'm also totally feeling Max's vibe.

Episode 3 spoiler:
Luckily it looks like she has the chance to lead a team, so let's see how she uses that camera time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Skylark posted:

I hope Max gets robbed by air-pirates when shes riding her steam-zeppelin home.

She won't get robbed, since she can [UPCOMING EPISODE SPOILERS] fence across the zeppelin's top decks with the best of them!

Premise of next episode's runway challenge with pictures of Max, MKD, and Violet are at the link in the spoiler!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Trinity was bad, but Adore not understanding the great depression and Josyln bringing up loving abortion are the two worst for me.

I still think it was worth it to see Courtney practically seduce Chaz right then and there :haw:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'm a soft heart who feels bad for Kandy; the producers aren't even bothering to give her more than a few seconds of screen time so she might as well not be on at all, and I do see her trying during all of the 15-20 seconds she's on screen. A queen's still gotta fight for screen time, I know, but drat, it's a hard and laborious process to go through to be made into total filler. Starting to think Laganja took the right approach to the show by going in with a clear strategy to just be balls-to-the-wall crazy, at least that earned her a main character slot.

Still loving ridiculous that Trixie's gone. :sigh:

"Losing a lip sync battle to a girl who talks entirely in vocal fry was...quite humbling." :haw:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

notaspy posted:

Not seen this yet but is the problem that these are girls from the sticks and not the big cities?

The problem is these loving group challenges; it's RuPaul's Drag Race, not a business conference on leadership skills and developing more synergistic team work.

Jasmine was from LA, Katya's from Boston, Fame and Pearl are from NYC. Whatever problems there are with the show, they don't come from a city queen, country queen thing.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

PsychoticKitten posted:

I kind of suspect that Trixie trying to get off stage when they were working on the music video in front of RU was what sealed her fate.

Trixie has said that Ru and Michelle actually weren't giving any stage directions and just let the girls do their thing. It's totally reasonable for someone to not instinctively know the first time that when your green screen shot is done, you don't physically get out of the shot.

Giving Trixie an edit like that was definitely supposed to be signalling weakness to the audience, but after finding that out, it just seemed silly.

notaspy posted:

Even now I'm not sure if Ru is really pissed or not about their take on Drag U

I think she was just taking the piss out of them.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Legislacerator posted:

. She just seems like such a genuinely nice person and that makes me root for her the most.

the escape goat posted:

well, that and her shady "compliments" to the other girls and bluntly (in a non-funny way) saying that she wants the girls to head home. it's just weird.

From the next episode, something that proves both your points:

Ginger assigns groups for the main challenge (performance) and sticks Max with VIOLET and KANDY. To which Max says: "Violet and Kandy...have not been the strongest performance-wise...but I'm going to whip them into shape!.

Adorable. :3:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Eight Dollars posted:

Do you think Max actually brought a non-grey wig? Is Michelle going to just get madder and madder every week?

In the app preview it looks like Max has actually died his real hair grey as well, so...

Also just watched Untucked and Ariana Grande goes into the workroom to say goodbye to Kandy and tells her how much she enjoyed her performance. What a sweetheart.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

I can't actually watch the show until tomorrow, but I just walked in to make sure that, yes, Kandy Ho is gone.

I was just assuming that poo poo, but I'm glad to have confirmation.

I actually thought Kandy nailed the lipsync, but it was still her time to go. Miss Ru is strict about her Three Strikes Rule unless you're the bee's knees for drama or talent, and Kandy was just...not. Glad that JDF gets to live another day, though, her performance and runway were both fabulous. What I would have given to send Kennedy packing instead... :argh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Aphra Bane posted:

Yesss next week's preview :neckbeard: I'm glad everyone came prepared this timahahahaha

This is going to end in the best possible way: drag queen chaos :getin:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ironic Twist posted:

I know it's already been said, but I love the parity this season. Last season when there were 8 queens left, we knew who the ringers were (Bianca, Adore, Courtney, Ben) and who were on their way out (Joslyn, Laganja, Trinity). This season I have no idea whatsoever who's going to be in the top 3.

Speaking of which, what does everyone think the top 3's going to be? My guess is Ginger, Katya, and Fame.

Really? I can absolutely see JDF, Fame, and Kennedy leaving some time soon, with Pearl, Violet, Katya, and Max in the ringer category and Ginger occupying the Phi Phi bitch slot that means she's not leaving any time soon. I see a Katya, Violet, Max top three, with Violet or Max possibly getting swapped out for Pearl. That redemption edit is reality TV gold...for the contestant, anyway. From here it's kinda boring.

Sadly Fame's already had her backstory given to us and has been portrayed as screwing up epically from time to time, I can already see her getting thrown under the bus especially after the preview for the next episode. Why can't the Alyssas of the world be allowed to stick around for just a little while longer? :sigh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Bina posted:

But the surveillance camera caught everything.

This was honestly the most hilarious acting challenge I can remember that was actually supposed to be funny.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

overseer07 posted:

It did remove a lot of the tension knowing she was going to win, but goddamn she's so funny it just didn't matter.

Goddamn the kind of money I would pay to Logo for more of those Alaska and Bianca commentaries. (Seriously, Logo, you're THROWING MONEY AWAY by not doing more of those and reselling the episode all over again.)

Goddamn the kind of money I would pay to Logo for Bianca as a contestant on the show for even just one episode. Can you imagine her rolling her eyes in Untucked and reading them all to filth while turning it out on the runway and being something hilarious in Snatch Game?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

graynull posted:

Am I wrong, or have there not been any real 'drat seamstress' challenges so far?

Not a single one so far.

Challenges to date:
Ep 1: Fashion
Ep 2: Performance (Acting)
Ep 3: Performance (Acting)
Ep 4: Performance (Writing, Singing, Acting)
Ep 5: Performance (Writing)
Ep 6: Performance (Acting)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

I'm guessing Katya MUST be in the top three considering the effort she's putting into the social media aspect

I also have my fingers crossed for Katya, if only because, regardless of when you go, it's a goddamn brilliant move to be releasing content online every single week the show is airing, to the point where it feels so freakin' obvious in retrospect. Let's face it, once the show is over every queen is living on borrowed minutes of fame, and they should be be doing everything possible to grab the spotlight while they're still on TV. Dropping a single when you sashay as a one-time thing just isn't enough if you really want to launch your star in a major way. Katya's clearly got the thing they should add onto the end of the Charisma-Uniqueness-Nerve-and-Talent catchphrase: Smarts.

Bina posted:

Snatch game changes EVERYTHING.

I think Snatch Game is especially idolized because it represents this major rubicon for the show. After Snatch Game, things always start to go crazy, in challenge difficulty and grading, and the queens' nerves really start to fray. I can't wait. :allears:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

This is gut feeling, and I fully reserve my right to be wrong, but my thinking goes like this: Pearl and Violet occupy the same drag slot: the young glamour girl; as such, they are engaged in a smaller meta-competition within the show. And in that competition, Violet 'wins' in the sense that she is easily on par with Raja for most fashionable queens ever on the show. Pearl ain't no slouch, but she ain't no Violet either.

BUT, Ru has been nurturing Pearl and praising her ability to get out of her head and her performance in the challenges.

Normally I would say this gives Pearl the clear advantage, but then I remember Trinity K Bonet. The danger of the redemption storyline is having it come too soon, because once Mama Ru thinks there's nowhere more for you to grow on the show, you get the boot.

On the other hand, TKB was definitely more busted and insecure than Pearl, so we'll see. But being one of Ru's pet projects only means you stick around until Ru deems the project done, not necessarily that you make it all the way.

Violet, Pearl, and Max actually all occupy the same slot as the 22/23-year old hyper-fashionable artiste, it's just easy to forget that Max is freakin' 22 years old. But Violet and Pearl are still battling it out for an even more specific slot as the young glamour girl who wears black lingerie. :haw: (Advantage Violet: Ru and the producers would die to make this season into a reenactment of Wicked and Max is the perfect Glinda, insufferability and all.)

EDIT:

caligulamprey posted:

Max selling his runway outfits on eBay after every week is diabolical, utterly brilliant and kind of gross.

EDIT: Hell, there's no way Max stays all that much longer considering he's selling poo poo on eBay, right? That's not a long con move, that's a get it while the gettin's good move.

Only up-front Professional Hos like Willam can pull that off without making it gross and desperate. And Max ripping off a part of the front page of his newspaper when Fame only ripped off one of the blank inside pages is definitely diabolical, brilliant, and gross. Makes me wonder if Kennedy's gossip in Untucked about Max being different when the cameras are off is more than just shade.

curiousTerminal posted:

I like this one better than what All Stars gave us, can we get Ru to change Synergy to smarts?

I forget that was a thing.

Which means I forgot All Stars.

I'm free. I'm finally free.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 10, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Max flubbed the challenge when there's no excuse for not being funny on Snatch Game anymore, and flubbed a lipsync when JDF absolutely nailed it. (Although how Max was ever going to beat JDF at a 1980s Michel'le song is admittedly beyond me.)

That said, the editors cutting to out-of-context clips of Max loosening her corset and belting out Broadway in a way that made it look like she was doing it in the middle of her critique made Max seem loving insane. And I'm...just confused?...to see a queen go who had literally never even been in the bottom 3 before leave over a queen who has now lipsynced for three weeks in a row, especially when it means Miss Fame's godawful performance got passed over when this was Fame's third time she'd been in the bottom 3.

I'm not about to DRAG RACE RAAAAGE, but you can't tell me this makes sense in the show's usual logic.

Still, if you gotta go, you might as well go in a way everyone can say was super controversial and unfair so you can make that sweet sweet sob story money :homebrew:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 14, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

I wonder if Ru loved Trixie's Anne Frank, but knew it wouldn't get on the air, so the plan was always to eliminate her (controversially) before Snatch Game and bring her back right after.

They tell the girls all the time when they can and can't do certain characters for reasons related to copyright, I'm sure they would just give a quick whisper to never, ever say the words "Anne Frank" on screen if she wanted to last another week.

But I like your theory better. :allears:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

DapperDinosaur posted:

I don't really get the judges' love for Kennedy. I thought her's and Jasmine's look was just as boring as Miss Fame's and Kandy's.

Kennedy's getting the villain/bitch edit. Darienne Lake, Delta Work, Phi Phi O'Hara, and Rebecca Glasscock all occupied the same slot. It's not that queens who occupy the slot aren't fabulous (or that they're even necessarily mean), it's that they're not quite as polished as the other girls and I think we're supposed to dislike them for surviving so long above their pay grade. That, in addition to getting an edit that doesn't produce a super flattering image, generates an audience's enmity real easy.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 21, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

overseer07 posted:

As unimpressive as that awful tit costume was, that LSFYL was everything

Ginger and Sasha really turned it the hell out. Definitely made me think better of them both.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I swear to the loving Drag Goddesses that if Katya goes home on that kind of challenge I will flip. my. wig. given that she is practically Russian Divine for the Post-Perestroika Era.

Not Today Satan posted:

Detox needs to intervene and tell everyone she's loving had it officially with all these acting challenges.

I never thought I would miss the Project Runway challenges this badly, but yes, I actually want MORE dressmaking and queens complaining about how they don't know how to sew this season, not less.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Fame left right on schedule. I suspect Pearl or Kennedy will be next, but at this point it's easy enough for anyone to gently caress it up enough to justify sticking them in the bottom.

But if Katya goes I will riot.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

gently caress this bullshit.

The number of completely crazy calls that have been made this season is seriously unreal.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

EDIT: ^ I just don't think Ru's really paying attention after 7 seasons of a serious cash cow that's cemented his superstardom. The incentive's just gone.

graynull posted:

Another terrible decision. Kennedy's lipsink was just desperate flailing, and that's what wins you a lipsink apparently.

No, it's when you really feel the song that it counts, like in Trixie versus Pearl, right?

...right?

In case no one's noticed, any sense of internal logic or consistency for this show beyond the plotline has completely vanished.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

spite house posted:

Stuck on this question myself. Violet's perpetual cunty sideeye I guess?

That's who I'm going for, she's the only one left who's been consistently well-polished and a game performer. Everything I've found out about her makes me think that she's completely and totally dedicated to drag. The crown fits.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

the escape goat posted:

sour grapes. I've got plenty.

I'm still so bitter you have no idea.

Having a seizure right in front of the judges' table should be recognized as nothing but goddamn desperate. Yuck.

Also, I do like Pearl and her ethereal aesthetic, but turning that blanket into a Snuggie and sending it down the runway was just lazy. Genius, but lazy.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

This is the only pageant/competitive reality show where this gives the contestant a serious leg up on the competition. So to speak.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

^^EDIT: I hope to God Ginger doesn't get it, because I actually like her as a person (if not necessarily her drag), and the backlash against her would just be downright nasty. :sigh:

Tendai posted:

EDIT: I hope Katya's future WoW Youtube show is some kind of Borat-esque drag hooker comes to America. She could swing it.

I instantly recognize Boston's South End and other New England-y things in a lot of her videos, so I've already been imagining this for most of RuFlections. It's a glorious mental image...the story of the one and only hooker no Bostonian will touch, until she meets her soul mate...Brian McCook.

Mouse Dresser posted:

AV Club summed it up with the line "We lost Katya for THIS?"

I got bored and stopped watching the episode halfway through, I'd rather look forward to the Finale/Ru-Union. Sucks that they forgot to give any of the top four girls any actual backstory before this episode but you gotta space that out, producers, this is like Reality TV 101 poo poo. Even Katya had to manufacture her own connection with the audience over goddamn YouTube (although the fact that they made her Season Narrator did help right up until she got the boot).

I promise I don't swear this much in real life or even in any other thread. This must be how sports fans feel.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 19, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

Kennedy and Ginger were both awful in Untucked. Kennedy especially. That whole pageant queens are the way to do it is so condescending. I really like Violets thoughts about drag being art and not wanting to constantly compete with others.

The Pageant Queen Who Just Hates All Other Forms of Drag And Then Gets What's Coming to Her vs. The Young Artiste Who is Just So Versatile and Amazing is this show's oldest, most cliché, and possibly even its stupidest trope, and I'd dearly like to see it go as soon as possible. Unfortunately, they seem to find people who are easily edited into its comforting molds at an astonishing rate.

RuPaul spent an entire segment during last season's finale talking about drag's diversity and every queen who ever insults another queen's form of drag instantly obtains Villain Who Will Soon Be Defeated Or Will Definitely Never Win It status, at this point if you don't know how to edit yourself you deserve fans' hate.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's just classic media stagnation syndrome, at a certain point you end up focusing on producing the indicators of a good show rather than a show with the characteristics that created those indicators in the first place.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Next season needs to be a full-on All Stars season. A full order of episodes, not a limited run of 6 episodes with team pairings. It's what people want, and it'll give Ru time to do an extensive proper search for drag talent for a fully new season in two years.

Hear hear.

I get the feeling that Logo is playing hard-to-get on All Stars 2. The demand for a new All Stars has been high for ages, but there hasn't been even a hint of actual news. Maybe that's just the TV biz, but seriously, there's a whole stable of talent that desperately wants to get back on the tube, might as well use it instead of trying to get us to fall in love with Pearl for a good 12 episodes.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

caligulamprey posted:

Pearl is clearly banking on not winning the crown if you're judging by the looks of his album cover.

Kind of awesome in a way.

Pearl's gently caress this, gently caress that, gently caress it all attitude is his single best characteristic. Very Willam-esque, actually, if Willam actually was a soporific 23-year old.

The results still aren't guaranteed: Pearl is absolutely winning the social media war, which has traditionally been the only battleground Ru cares about.

DapperDinosaur posted:

I wonder if he's willing to risk a majority of angry fans.

The result really will say more about RuPaul/The Producers and their attitudes towards the show more than anything else. Picking Ginger would indicate "psh we don't give a gently caress/gently caress this whole season we're doing what we want", picking Pearl would indicate "what the fans say goes/we cast a popular pretty boy for the audience and y'all ate it up apparently so here you are" and picking Violet would say "eh the fashionable kinky bitch one's the closest to Next Drag Superstar and most of you won't be mad at us for this, this is the least offensive option we guess?".

Or something like that. I swear I like all three girls! :ohdear:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

CaptainScraps posted:

God I hope willam narrates.

Willam would spill all the T. No way WOW would let him anywhere near Season 4 at this point.

But I'd like to be proven wrong.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Violet was good.

Just not $100,000 good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hey I'm putting this here because Katya appreciation station

quote:

Hi Mom!! If you had been in the top three what kind of performance would you have done for the grand finale? I just want to know what could have been.

quote:

Oh it would have been great, but very costly, and in hindsight I’m glad I didn’t make top 3 because I would not have been able to compromise on my vision. It goes like this:

I am in a large satin ball gown hanging from a ladder being pulled by a helicopter half a mile in the air over Downtown LA. The roof of the theater retracts and completely opens up as the helicopter lowers and dangles me several hundred feet above the crowd. Ru blows her whistle, and I plummet to my death in the audience (landing on Porkchop, killing her - RIP) but here’s the twist: I didn’t die (It was a stunt double, who also died - RIP) A second helicopter swoops in and there I am, crystallized, dangling from the ladder which is slowly lowered into the theater. The roof retracts and is closed as I make my way to the stage to perform as Mrs. Peacock in a live reenactment of the three endings of the movie Clue along with the surviving members of the cast. Then in yet another twist, the audience chooses which scene they like best, and that scene is crowned America’s Next Drag Superstar. In a special bonus clip on YouTube I am announced as Miss Congenitality by BDLC who has emerges as a fly, from a breast-shaped cocoon, but is swatted by Violet who then turns into a horse.

I started cackling somewhere around "Porkchop" and didn't stop for the next five minutes.

• Locked thread