Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I remember when the AC first came out and everyone had a huge hardon for it. Right around this time, I had to go to ALS and they were having us recite it daily because our future Airmen will know it. I started adding "and justice for all" and the end of it to make it better.

My favorite part of the AC is when a large group of people scream the last line louder to up their moto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I joines shortly after they released the creed so they drilled it into our heads. Of course now I can only remember fragments of it and not in order. It's been replaced with more important information.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I also joined shortly after the AC was dropped on us. We were required to shout "AND I WILL NOT FAIL" at the end every day. I don't remember much of my graduation day, but I remember being mortified when we all stood in formation and recited/shouted the creed in front of our families.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
RIP Carrie Fisher :/

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
2016 can gently caress right off.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Belgian Waffle posted:

2016 can gently caress right off.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

You've got a bachelors, so consider applying for an officers position. Multi-lingual is a big plus for Intel.

Naturally, the general Air Force veterans answer is: Do ANYTHING but the Military. But if you are set on it, you've got a good couple pluses to get you in the door. How's your athletic ability?

It's fine, I hit gym once a day, I can't lift a whole of a lot but I'm sure I can pass basic no problem. (Would I even have to do it?)

How would I go about looking for an officers' position, though? Is this just something that ... I do a google search for? That I search a military website for? Or.. what?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Go see a recruiter.

Don't let them fool you into going enlisted with a degree.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

beeaar posted:

It's fine, I hit gym once a day, I can't lift a whole of a lot but I'm sure I can pass basic no problem. (Would I even have to do it?)

How would I go about looking for an officers' position, though? Is this just something that ... I do a google search for? That I search a military website for? Or.. what?

Just accept that you'll be judged more on how quickly you can run 1.5 miles than your actual job skill.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

beeaar posted:

You're looking at attending OTS (Officer Training School), a "rigorous" 9 1/2 week program at Maxwell AFB. To apply, you'll probably want to speak to a recruiter. They don't bite, but remember that their interests do not necessarily align with yours - they're looking to fill undermanned and unwanted jobs (primarily enlisted) whereas you're wanting to get the best deal possible. If it's easier, you can just go to the AF website https://www.airforce.com/education/military-training/ots , click on Get Started, fill in your info, and I assume someone will contact you. I think the application process is fairly simple, but I'll check with a few of my buddies and see what sort of prep they did. You won't go to basic, but OTS has a lot of the same fitness stuff going on. Lifting won't help that much - the only thing the AF cares about is running, pushups and situps. You don't necessarily need to be fast, but you'll want to be able to run about 4 miles.

The only catch is that OTS may take some time between applying, being accepted, and actually attending the course. It definitely won't be a "next month" kind of thing. The good news is that we're mostly done kicking people out, so from what I can tell you have pretty good odds on being accepted as long as you're not terrible. Good luck, and I eagerly await your disgruntled officer posts a couple years from now!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"I applied for Intel and all I got was this lousy MX Officer position"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Unless things have changed again, you need a recruiter that deals specifically with "officer accessions." There may not be one in a convenient location, depending on where you are. The average recruiter does not deal with sending people to OTS, they only handle enlistments. That's how it was when I joined in 2004, then they got rid of the officer accessions recruiters, then they brought them back. So it could've changed again. But DO NOT settle for enlisting.

You'll need some letters of recommendation. You're looking for content that says you're reliable, trustworthy, and responsible. That's more important than WHO it's from. It can be a church official, employer, someone from your school, etc. The application itself is straightforward; you'll also need to write an an explanation of why you want to join. Nothing difficult, but the letters can take some time. But yeah for perspective, here's the rough timeline:

Aug 2002: Contact recruiter. Told all billets were filled, call back after 1 Oct because that's when the fiscal year rolls over and everything opens up.
Oct: Meet with recruiter, get preliminary information on what I need to do.
Jan/Feb 2003: Application and ancillary paperwork submitted.
Mar: Board reviews applications, makes decisions.
Apr: :geno:
May: :geno:
Jun: :geno:
Jul: Notified of selection.
Sep: Start OTS
Dec: Commission

I applied to the first board that met after my initial recruiter contact, I was selected on the first try, and it STILL took over a year. This is not a fast process.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 27, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
BAH rates are going down, so you can see just how lovely we get to live in 'The most powerful air force the world has ever known.'

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Take the AFOQT as soon as you can. There's various practice tests out there for it, but if you've got decent math and reasoning skills it shouldn't be a problem. You may want to study on the aviation section, but if you don't plan on being a pilot it won't really matter. Beware that just because you have the skills for a particular job doesn't mean you'll get it. It helps, but the Air Force will assign people where they're needed over what their potential is. If this happens, there's always the option to cross-train, but that could be up to four years down the road. If you are really dead set on getting into a certain career field right away, the Guard or Reserve may be your best bet. It's not full time, but there are opportunities to make it into a full time job (Air Reserve Technician, or Active Guard Reserve). Again, those opportunities won't be available right off the bat, but they're there in the long run.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005

Godholio posted:

Aug 2002: Contact recruiter. Told all billets were filled, call back after 1 Oct because that's when the fiscal year rolls over and everything opens up.
Oct: Meet with recruiter, get preliminary information on what I need to do.
Jan/Feb 2003: Application and ancillary paperwork submitted.
Mar: Board reviews applications, makes decisions.
Apr: :geno:
May: :geno:
Jun: :geno:
Jul: Notified of selection.
Sep: Start OTS
Dec: Commission

I applied to the first board that met after my initial recruiter contact, I was selected on the first try, and it STILL took over a year. This is not a fast process.

At what point can you still back out? Or once you sign your name on the line, is that basically it?

Also wouldn't mind hearing a little info about the benefits, especially graduate schooling reimbursements, retirement, etc.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
gently caress man, people like you make me sick. You and the rest of the worthless gimmie gimmie generation are what is ruining this Air Force. All you care about is what do I need to do to have poo poo I don't deserve given to me on the backs of the taxpayer, and the necks of the Airmen under me.

Am I the only one left who joined the Air Force for the honor and privilege of serving my country?

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

beeaar posted:

At what point can you still back out? Or once you sign your name on the line, is that basically it?

You can pretty much quit while you are there, iirc.

I believe several OTs for some reason or another decided to punch out while Godholio and I were there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

gently caress man, people like you make me sick. You and the rest of the worthless gimmie gimmie generation are what is ruining this Air Force. All you care about is what do I need to do to have poo poo I don't deserve given to me on the backs of the taxpayer, and the necks of the Airmen under me.

Am I the only one left who joined the Air Force for the honor and privilege of serving my country?

:nallears:

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

Sorry for ruining the country, dude. That's my bad.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
You can get out whenever you want. Just fail a few PT tests.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
Alright, I just wasn't sure how all that worked. I guess lite_sleepr was just yanking my chain.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
My wife is going through the officer process now. She started around August and the non-rated (not flying) board got pushed back to next July, so it's become quite a lengthy process for her. And if she gets selected in July, she still has MEPS to do, and then probably leave around the beginning of 2018 for OTS.

Watch for the wording the recruiter uses. They tried convincing my wife to go on a "dual track" where you complete the full enlisted process and wait in DEP until the board results, so that if you don't make it, they'll try to push you in as enlisted with a degree.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Hamlet442 posted:

My wife is going through the officer process now. She started around August and the non-rated (not flying) board got pushed back to next July, so it's become quite a lengthy process for her. And if she gets selected in July, she still has MEPS to do, and then probably leave around the beginning of 2018 for OTS.

Watch for the wording the recruiter uses. They tried convincing my wife to go on a "dual track" where you complete the full enlisted process and wait in DEP until the board results, so that if you don't make it, they'll try to push you in as enlisted with a degree.

"I just wanted to use my college education to help other airmen. I wanted to be invited in something bigger than myself." :unsmith:

"I wanted the challenge" :unsmith:

Are some reasons I heard of degree havers enlisting.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Hamlet442 posted:

TBH, if you're stupid or weak-willed enough to go along with something like that, you probably shouldn't be in charge of anything anyway.

beeaar posted:

Sorry for ruining the country, dude. That's my bad.
These are the people you are going to spend the next four years managing, FYI. And the ones getting DUIs. And the single parents who don't understand why their "life experience" doesn't entitle them to ignore Lieutenants.

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

These are the people you are going to spend the next four years managing, FYI. And the ones getting DUIs. And the single parents who don't understand why their "life experience" doesn't entitle them to ignore Lieutenants.

You say that like this is different from any other managerial position.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
In most other jobs, your boss won't poo poo all over your life if one of the people you supervise gets a DUI on the weekend, your employees' poor financial/legal/romantic decisions are solely their problem, and if someone misses a work trip that had been planned six months in advance because they eloped with their stripper girlfriend, you can just send them their last paycheck and never think about them again. You are not expected to use nine weeks of leadership training to play Captain Save-a-Hoe to the Mississippi educational system's unwanted children.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 28, 2016

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Let me give you an real example: I once parked a flight of airmen in a bunker during an exercise. Literally their only job was to wait there for the duration of the simulated mortar attack, at which point I or someone else would be back to collect them for a post attack BDA sweep. Their explicit orders were to do nothing and not move until someone higher ranking gave them a task.

After walking about 40 yards, I glanced over my shoulder and noticed an orange glow from the bunker in the pre-dawn light. I turned around, went back, and discovered that they had piled pocket litter and MRE trash in the middle of the bunker, and lit it on fire. After putting the fire out I asked if they were cold. They were not, it was the middle of summer after all. I asked why they had done that, and one of them, presumably the ringleader, said "I dunno, we got bored I guess."

The rest of my career would involve variations on this theme, including in response to orders like "face this direction", "do not drink alcohol for the next forty eight hours", "wash your hands", "place the patrol aircraft in the box marked 'patrol area'", and "for the love of God, don't touch anything".

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I joined because I wanted to serve my country and kill Taliban, but also because I was sick and tired of being in college.

Now, as an enlisted man, the Air Force requires me to be in college for the rest of my professional life. gently caress. I actually feel bad for all the taxpayer dollars I waste on bullshit courses so I can put an educational bullet on my EPR.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

lite_sleepr posted:

I was bored of community college, so I joined in order to travel to different countries, experience their culture and bang their women. Also to serve my country. Then I got sent to Louisiana for my first 4 years, so I guess that counts?

Looking back, I probably should have joined the Navy.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

lite_sleepr posted:

I joined because I didn't want to flip burgers through college, and hopefully I could use my military experience to get a leg up on the competition when I got out. And the travel.

Then I washed out of the career that could've done that, and spent five years at Edwards answering phone calls and e-mails, outside of one deployment. Now I've moved back in with my parents, am in school for something completely unrelated to my military experience, and dealing with the fact that I put my life on pause for eight years just for free college.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

lite_sleepr posted:

While a joke..

I legit joined because I felt like it was a chance to serve a greater purpose doing something I had wanted to do since I was 7. And planned on doing 20 years. I did the college thing and worked in corporate radio to pay my way for a couple years and realized I hated everything about what I was doing. The AF seemed like a legit chance to do something with my life.

I didn't realize until after joining that "something", was ruin it.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Genocide Tendency posted:

I didn't realize until after joining that "something", was ruin it.

I used my first paper in my writing class to just poo poo all over the Air Force.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Kuroyama posted:

I used my first paper in my writing class to just poo poo all over the Air Force.

Please post it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:stare:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

lite_sleepr posted:

Please post it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

beeaar posted:

You say that like this is different from any other managerial position.

Here's a sample of some of the airmen I supervised:

Arrested for shoplifting, running a prescription drug ring, animal abuse (he was throwing a neighborhood cat higher than his house, by the tail). This was a loving Lt.
Allegedly shot himself in the back of the hand with a privately-owned firearm. More than likely his ex-wife shot him and he covered for her.
While on a written no-alcohol order from the commander, got shitfaced and tried to hail a cab. Fell into the street as it approached and face-planted against the a-pillar.

Those were all within a 12-month period. It's a little different from other managerial positions. Other choice incidents which I did not have any supervisory experience with included suicides, drawing an M9 on a SNCO to "win" an argument, illegal drug use despite knowing you'll be tested soon, guys cleaning out their joint bank accounts while deployed just to spite the wife, guys trying to hire hookers, guys successfully hiring hookers and bringing home the HIV, etc.

But yeah, we had OTs drop out for various reasons. Even after OTS, one of the ABMs that commissioned in the class before us decided to get out as a conscientious objector (WTF?) and didn't get any flak. It's risky to wait that long to bail, but if it's an era of cutbacks it tends to be easier.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Here's a sample of some of the airmen I supervised:

Arrested for shoplifting, running a prescription drug ring, animal abuse (he was throwing a neighborhood cat higher than his house, by the tail). This was a loving Lt.
Allegedly shot himself in the back of the hand with a privately-owned firearm. More than likely his ex-wife shot him and he covered for her.
While on a written no-alcohol order from the commander, got shitfaced and tried to hail a cab. Fell into the street as it approached and face-planted against the a-pillar.

:catstare: Jesus loving Christ.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

#1 is probably in prison. He was in county awaiting trial when I left, but I've asked a friend (one of my peers and the rear end in a top hat's neighbor who saw the cat incident) for an update.
#2 nothing really happened. Because it was allegedly accidental, the cops didn't really care so it just faded away.
#3 was not allowed to reenlist; he was actually a good dude aside from the alcohol problem, so it was kind of a bummer, but he had some solid school-oriented plans and his wife seemed to have her poo poo together too, so I'm sure they're fine.

Speaking of OTS, that's where HDI and I met a soon-to-be literal babykiller.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
I was completely blind to enlisted drama for my first few years. Then I got to play flight commander/idiot king and realized just how awful it is. Of the top of my head:
  • Teenage airman (19yo F) threatening suicide at every. single. thing. Mental health came to the conclusion that she was a maladapted drama whore rather than depressed.
  • Going home on leave and beating the crap out of a local girl. He came back to duty before the cops tracked him down, so we got to escort him to base under false pretenses so he could get cuffed.
  • Married and divorced twice during first two years of first enlistment. Brought all drama to the workplace.
  • Wouldn't stop telling patients and coworkers about sexual exploits. Did I mention they were homosexual liaisons during DADT? Dude was already making it super hard to cover for him in general without specific unwanted sexual conversations.
  • Hitting on patients. Or their daughters.
  • Repeated pregnancies to avoid deployment (one SrA and one captain).
  • Stealing medical equipment
  • AWOL to attend some comic convention or some other equally stupid poo poo. Guy thought he would be a fantasy writer and always carried a composition book. He begged me to critique something once; I'm pretty sure my kids were more eloquent by fifth grade.
  • A very nice young doctor asked his assigned tech to grab a piece of equipment and bring it to an exam room, to which he replied, "Get it your own drat self." Already had a reputation as a dirtbag, but I witnessed this. It was the first time I lit someone up in public. Pretty sure he ended up with an administrative discharge down the line.
  • Public health tech told her girlfriends whether any airmen had ever sought treatment for STIs when they were thinking about hooking up. I found out via one of her friends who was a high school senior and also my patient. Protip: Teenage girls will gladly betray your trust.
And this was medical. The supposed crème de la crème.

Godholio posted:

Speaking of OTS, that's where HDI and I met a soon-to-be literal babykiller.

And I thought goons were pro-choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Derek Dominoe posted:

And I thought goons were pro-choice.

Sex Education and Safe Sex would've helped him there.

Fun story: I'm ANG, but came on duty one weekend and the cops were on base questioning everyone about one of the Support guys. Crew Chief dropout guy, so they put in him support while he re-trained or dropped out of the AF all together.

Turns out, he'd gone on leave and his pregnant girlfriend ended up dead from a gunshot to the head.

We had another guy who was forced out due to being on prescription painkillers and was in the middle of a nasty divorce where he ended up sleeping at his very empty and disconnected house for a couple days. On the floor. And then in his car. And then fell asleep while driving his car through the gate one day. Guy wasn't a bad dude, just got hurt really bad and depressed.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 28, 2016

• Locked thread