Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gunner rules and I am glad he is getting a movie role, even if it is B-Movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Was just looking for something and came across this Observer item from last year at this time:

quote:

At the same meeting Dixie held with TNA's Nashville office employees, she wondered why TNA didn't have a presence at WWE's WrestleMania XXX weekend. A source observed that Dixie is always talking about what they should have done and not what they should do. There's a feeling that TNA needs someone to push open doors and make things happen but that's just not happening right now. There's a feeling that TNA is just there and they don't have much momentum.

Sooo....what're they cooking up for this year?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

flashy_mcflash posted:

Was just looking for something and came across this Observer item from last year at this time:

Waiting for WM to pass and then wondering again why they didn't do anything.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

flashy_mcflash posted:

- Try to get the Hardies into the IC Title ladder match
- New DX invasion but this time starring James Storm's stable
- A projector broadcasts "The Best of Sting in TNA" onto the side of Levi's Stadium for the duration of WM 31
- Dixie Carter shows up at WrestleMania Axxess to present Sting with the TNAsylum Pioneer Award
- Kurt Angle suicide bombing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MassRafTer posted:

I am telling every person who argues this congrats they are repeating the argument put forward by WCW in 1998. It's fun.

I mean, its probably true, right? If I watch a replay then I'm still a unique viewer and in theory should count towards some kind of count of viewership. And the number of people watching repeat viewings of a show consistently are probably pretty slim.

But on the flip side its also probably not important, right? Because ratings only matter towards advertisers and having a bunch of viewers spread out throughout the week doesn't do poo poo for an advertiser who wants the most bang for his buck.

So yeah, TNA MIGHT have more viewers than their initial airing ratings indicate but that doesn't really mean anything.

Which I think sums up TNA very well. Probably not quite as bad as it appears at first glance but it still doesn't have its poo poo together enough to really make a difference.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its probably true, right? If I watch a replay then I'm still a unique viewer and in theory should count towards some kind of count of viewership. And the number of people watching repeat viewings of a show consistently are probably pretty slim.

It's true but as you say, it's irrelevant. Nitro only did it to look like they weren't getting killed by Raw, and it's the same for TNA. It's just to keep appearances up and not have stats clearly showing that their viewership has gone way down since Spike kicked them off.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

flashy_mcflash posted:

she wondered why TNA didn't have a presence at WWE's WrestleMania XXX weekend

Stop being OUYA, TNA.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spike never replayed Impact during the week, right? If you're comparing apples to apples, wouldn't you only count the first airing of the show on DA? That's more like 300K viewers than 500K.

Zanael posted:

Stop being OUYA, TNA.

Them having a sad, empty tent across the street from Mania is a thing I need.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Now I am reminded of what a waste it was to have Wrestlemania XXX happen in the PG era.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

triplexpac posted:

It's true but as you say, it's irrelevant. Nitro only did it to look like they weren't getting killed by Raw, and it's the same for TNA. It's just to keep appearances up and not have stats clearly showing that their viewership has gone way down since Spike kicked them off.

Yeah, I'm not actually defending TNA. Ratings suck and the company is a mess. And anyone can plainly see that Destination America is a dramatic downgrade from Spike regardless of whatever theoretically valid arguments you can make that they advertise more or have more corporate synergy or whatever. None of that changes the fact that there are way less people who have or know they have DA vs Spike and that's bad for TNA. And bringing up all those other things to deflect are just distractions from that undeniable fact we all knew the second the news was announced.

In general TNA is too interested in distracting from the problems and criticisms instead of fixing them (or fixing what they can because they can't make Destination America bigger or turn back the clock and get back on Spike). That last news note is a perfect example. Dixie recognizes that they're missing an opportunity by not capitalizing on the WM season like most every other wrestling promotion tries to do and yet no one has an idea or any urgency to do it. TNA is just a rudderless ship plugging the holes that pop up when they can and when they can't boasting about their new swimming pool on the east deck.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Spike never replayed Impact during the week, right? If you're comparing apples to apples, wouldn't you only count the first airing of the show on DA? That's more like 300K viewers than 500K.

I don't think Spike did, but I could be wrong. I know the few times I missed it and actually cared enough to want to see it I went to their website.

Which of course is another aspect of this. Yeah, people who watch online are another portion of your viewer base. But if they ain't drawing advertiser dollars or putting money down than gently caress them, it doesn't matter except for some kind of intelligent business research and strategy that TNA clearly doesn't have.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 20, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

But on the flip side its also probably not important, right? Because ratings only matter towards advertisers and having a bunch of viewers spread out throughout the week doesn't do poo poo for an advertiser who wants the most bang for his buck.

So yeah, TNA MIGHT have more viewers than their initial airing ratings indicate but that doesn't really mean anything.

Which I think sums up TNA very well. Probably not quite as bad as it appears at first glance but it still doesn't have its poo poo together enough to really make a difference.

Repeat viewing of wrestling shows is not uncommon especially with immediate replays.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Why in the world, though?

I can understand rewatching something you REALLY enjoyed. Which in theory would be a different boon for TNA. But obviously TNA is a middling product scraping for viewers to count. Are there really a significant number of people watching it two or three times each week or for four hours straight?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I can understand rewatching something you REALLY enjoyed. Which in theory would be a different boon for TNA. But obviously TNA is a middling product scraping for viewers to count. Are there really a significant number of people watching it two or three times each week or for four hours straight?

TNA Unlocked, the supposed extra hour of television they desperately needed, is a Pop Up Video'd episode of Impact that aired about twelve hours prior. If they're expecting anyone to watch that thing at all it has to be the TNA diehards that would almost 100% have watched that original episode of Impact, and maybe even the 11pm replay if they've gone full Mecca. That's three airings of the same show within 12 hours.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

Changing channels is hard and many TNA fans are creepy devoted mutants.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flashy_mcflash posted:

TNA Unlocked, the supposed extra hour of television they desperately needed, is a Pop Up Video'd episode of Impact that aired about twelve hours prior. If they're expecting anyone to watch that thing at all it has to be the TNA diehards that would almost 100% have watched that original episode of Impact, and maybe even the 11pm replay if they've gone full Mecca. That's three airings of the same show within 12 hours.

I DVRed it once or twice and then when I realized it was the same episode of Impact I didn't really watch the first time with some random stuff I don't care about I quickly deleted that DVR pass. Like, I was expecting it to be some kind of recap/post game thing with interviews and stuff like that short lived Reaction show they had. I probably wouldn't have watched that either but at least it would kind of make sense.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fortuitous timing on this announcement:

quote:

Destination America is apparently moving all of its TNA programming to Fridays.

"Impact: Unlocked", the Impact replay show with some exclusive segments, moved a few weeks ago from Saturday mornings at 10:00 ET to Friday nights at 7:00 ET.

As of tomorrow, episodes of "TNA's Greatest Matches" won't air on Saturdays any longer, either. The show is moving from its original Saturday at 12:00 noon ET slot to Friday/early-Saturday at 3:00 and 4:00 AM ET for two back-to-back episodes. Previously, DA put a third airing of that evening's Impact episode in this timeslot.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

tna already hosed jeff hardy up recently so they will make kurt angle jump of a cage onto his bionic neck for some of that sweet wrestlemania publicity

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It It is 2015

and Kurt Angle is a company's world champ

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

flashy_mcflash posted:

Fortuitous timing on this announcement:

Trying to think of an Asylum spin on this. Somehow removing TNA from all other days of the schedule, dumping it all on a single day and cutting time devoted to it is good news because...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Blasmeister posted:

Trying to think of an Asylum spin on this. Somehow removing TNA from all other days of the schedule, dumping it all on a single day and cutting time devoted to it is good news because...

Smackdown isn't on Fridays anymore!

Judging by his skin I'd say he's in the early stages of Hulk Hogan Syndrome.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 21, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

It It is 2015

and Kurt Angle is a company's world champ

Sgt. Slobber
May 15, 2011
Doggonit, Kurt Angle was one of my absolute favorites when I was a kid and it sucks to see him like this :(

There was a promo he did with Edge and Christian that was like "ugh, Kurt, what's that smell?"
"Oh we're just in Texas. It all smells like this."
I loved it so hard but can't find it on youtube :/

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Why do his knees look like a Shar Pei's face?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That photo was from his last reign, back in 2011, I believe. You can tell because he just beat Sting.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
kurt angle is going to moonsault from the top of levi's stadium onto roman reigns in the main event. brock lesnar will then finally hit the shooting star press on angle and pin him, unifying the WWE and TNA belts in the shittiest, most meta invasion angle pro wrestling has ever seen

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TNA has shows in the coveted 3 and 4am spots!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Is it just me or does Kurt Angle have a serious roid gut?

You know what would be cool? If TNA had like a thing on their website talking about what their talent is doing, Drew Galloway now holds three top titles on three different continents which is probably something that they would want to use to promote him. But because wrestling companies don't exist outside of the WWE & HoH it doesn't matter.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 21, 2015

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

TNA has had two very good TV shows in a row. Was that the last UK taping?

Obviously it's TNA so there's always a lot of problems, but having the first DA shows be the zero degree Fahrenheit, 200 fans, dark arena NYC shitshow hosed them pretty bad. I think Tazz's Announcer Cave, for example, looks lo-fi in a "good way," but those first tapings were lo-fi in a "we are wrestling in a morgue on the Alaska Ghosts Network way."

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 22, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dave talked on and on about how great Angle vs Lashley was, how much better their TV is than Raw (not that that's high praise) and how they're doing everything they can to get themselves out of the hole they buried but nobody's watching today on WOR, too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've actually kept the last two shows on my DVR because I've heard a decent amount of praise for EC3/Spud and Angle/Lashley. I'm not at all interested in TNA right now but I figured I'll have to take a knight and just sit down and check those two shows out and see if they can give me some interest.

I mean, I've been watching OVW, old CZW a friend pawned off on me, and some rinky dink PWS promotion that suddenly started airing on my local tv. So I guess I can give TNA one night.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I tried to watch TNA a couple of nights ago and got motion sickness withing 30 seconds from the constant camera zooming in/out and angle/lighting changes. It was as if it was the first time the camera man had ever been in the same building as an actual camera.

I've seen better production with yard-tards.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

RZApublican posted:

Smackdown isn't on Fridays anymore!

Judging by his skin I'd say he's in the early stages of Hulk Hogan Syndrome.
Love the literary angle with the big A on Kurt's chest.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Golden Bee posted:

Love the literary angle with the big A on Kurt's chest.

I used to think only Apocalypse could pull it off... and I still think only Apocalypse can pull it off.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

I tried to watch TNA a couple of nights ago and got motion sickness withing 30 seconds from the constant camera zooming in/out and angle/lighting changes. It was as if it was the first time the camera man had ever been in the same building as an actual camera.

I've seen better production with yard-tards.

It's sadly been that way a while now. The quick zoom in/zoom out thing I think is to try to emphasize the impact (:rimshot:) of the moves in the ring but yeah it's really annoying.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched the last two episodes last night and I was actually kind of slightly impressed by the storytelling. The first episode had a pretty nice theme set by the opening video of bitter rivalries between old friends and it let things flow. It was also cool the way each show had a main even that was built to and the next episode has an advertised on with Hardy/Storm. I guess that's a rare benefit of taping these shows so far in advance, that you know what's coming next week so you can set it up.

I also thought it was interesting that between the two episodes I basically watched a pretty solid PPV card.
Angle/Lashley, World Title
EC3/Spud, Hair vs Hair
EY/Roode, Last Man Standing
Bram/Magnus
Aries/Joe
Wolves/Revolution/Bro-Mans, Ultimate X/Tag Titles
Robbie/Brooke
Hardy/Storm

It wasn't all great but it felt like a show. I guess that's another potential accidental benefit to the taping schedule they're using. I don't like this approach at all and think its filled with problems but I'm think of maybe seeing if I can watch Impact 2 weeks at a time or kind of a tapings schedule and see if it flows together like that.

In terms of actual product I thought EC3/Spud was pretty great and they did a great job of nothing only getting EC3 over as a massive heel after the match but carrying the Spud momentum into the X Title cash in. Lashley/Angle was pretty good too and it was interesting that they basically built it with the same "this is sorta real" thing they did with Joe/Angle all those years ago. The rest was a mixed bag and nothing really hooked me but I think I might give TNA a little time here to impress me. At least as long as I'm wasting time watching much worse indies.

Aesthetically I wasn't really bothered by the camera work (but again, I've been watching really bad indy stuff lately), but I found the idea of Taz and Matthews announcing from outside the arena really distracting. At times they didn't even sound a part of it and you could really tell that the commentary was pieced together. And the Unlocked/Pop Up thing is just stupid. Its basically like they decided to make Mike Tenay the third announcer giving color commentary (which in itself wouldn't be a terrible idea) but then instead of giving him a microphone they just have him text his commentary really, really slowly. Its distracting and weird.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
403,000 viewers for this week with the title change. Can't wait to see how things look back in the Impact Zone.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
The Tag Team 3-way on the last show was really really fun.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Had anyone said loltna recently?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

people keep saying that Impact is good again but last time I tuned in Aces and 8s majorly jumped the shark so I'm not going to jinx it again.

Go beat the waves for daring have a tide, Dixie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We'll, I'll tell you what happens tonight.

-Jeff Hardy returns to face James Storm in Six Sides of Steel
-Awesome Kong vs. Brooke Tessmacher
-Rockstar Spud vs. Low-Ki for the TNA X-Division Championship
-Kurt Angle's victory celebration
-1 or 2 other matches

Plus, if you tune in early, you can see the replay of Lashley/Angle, which was really good and I think you should watch it.

• Locked thread